Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very severe weather warning(wind and snow)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hopefully some more on the way shortly hopefully, these showers seem to be burning themselves out fast.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No snow or rain here (Sligo) but the wind changed from interesting to bloody scary about half an hour ago. There is a constant loud roar from the nearby trees and all sorts of banging and rattling noises during gusts ...you can feel your ears popping when a gust moves through

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The strongest winds are remaining out to sea just clipping the Mayo coast now.

Saying that widespread gusts above 50mph across the country

Note the swirl which tips the NW of Mayo and goes out to the Atlantic

Along that southern portion lies the intense winds core, this will rush across the country from now until 3/4am

ukir_sat_200801082000.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Longfield wrote: »
    FULL_ON_BLIZZARD OUTSIDEWAAAHHHOOO.
    Ahem, carry on.

Never got to me:( not even rain.

Wind decreased to 12mph after last report but is not strenghtening again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The strongest winds are remaining out to sea just clipping the Mayo coast now.

Saying that widespread gusts above 50mph across the country

Note the swirl which tips the NW of Mayo and goes out to the Atlantic

Along that southern portion lies the intense winds core, this will rush across the country from now until 3/4am
    are you saying the most we will see is only 50mph gusts? It's pretty calm here atm.

• Advertisement

Back in business!!

Briefly, Malin Head reported mean speed of 72mph
    and gust to 108mph, at about midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Max gust i got here was just 30mph after midnight and 33mph before that.

malin head recorded its 3rd strongest gust at 94knots or 170km/ph in 120years according to RTE1 weather on the radio.This is 4knots short of the record.
    Maybe later MM will have more info for us.

No damage at all down here but was icy this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Ditto MM,site was down for nearly 12hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Wow, back at last! :rolleyes:

I sure as hell dont know about you guys but to me last nights 'event' felt a little like:

Storm-in-a-teacup.jpg

:p

No significant wind, no thunder, no hail, no sleet, no snow......just a rain shower or two. I forgot to reset the 'max' windspeed setting on my weather station, which has a current high of 34mph which was recorded back in December, it didnt go any higher than that lastnight anyway. With boards gone I havent a clue what happened anywhere else, was it 'bad' at all?

Harly just breezy here overnight.
    Was windier during the squall at 4pm yesterday.

Lots of snow on the nearby hills though and it sure is cold-everywhere iced up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It was bad enough in Sligo. Thankfully no major damage, just a short power outage and a few tree branches and wheely bins (including contents) strewn about, from what I could see.

Some areas of Donegal seem to have been hit quite hard though. ESB and eircom report outages

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭squonk

Seems like a real anti climax alright. Thought it was just myself thinking this. Ah well! What happened? Wasn't the pressure difference high enough for some serious action?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm just below the snow line here. Snow level at about 300M. Mountains are all white. 1.5c ATM, snow showers on and off for the morning.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

3rd highest gust speed ever recorded off Donegal last night in 120 years according to the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

peasant wrote: »
    It was bad enough in Sligo. Thankfully no major damage, just a short power outage and a few tree branches and wheely bins (including contents) strewn about, from what I could see.

Some areas of Donegal seem to have been hit quite hard though. ESB and eircom report outages
    Yeah, my brother's power was out just after 10.00 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

According to xcweather 107mph wind gust off Glen Ogle (Scotland) at 8am this morning :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yup non event in the NE last night after we got specfic warnings. Ah well, all for the best I suppose. No snow, a few gusts, nothing worth mentioning. The strong easterly wind prior to last week's snow was much stronger I thought.
    Scotland seems to have gotten a proper doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

smashey wrote: »
    Yeah, my brother's power was out just after 10.00 last night.

Where does he live, was not that bad ere, not compared to what i was expecting anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Christbait

Last night was calm and peaceful here in Limerick. No wind, snow, sleet... :(

I've put this into 2 other threads, but may as well go here as well.
    In the hour to midnight 8th Jan 2008 Malin Head recorded gust of 94kts, 108mph 173km/h.

In the following hour, to 01am 9th Jan 2008, a mean of 62knots, gust 91kts
    71mph gust 105mph
    114km/h gust 167 km/h
    was recorded.

This is 2 knots short of hurricane force.

3rd strongest gust in Malin Head's history (c120 yrs)

Finner Camp had gust to 86kts, 87mph, 140km/h,

Non event here after cold front passage. 2 gusts to 39mph.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Harly just breezy here overnight.
    Was windier during the squall at 4pm yesterday.

Same here in Dublin - some very stong gusts around 4pm while I was in work, but nothing of note last night, just blustery and showery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

shiibata wrote: »
    Where does he live, was not that bad ere, not compared to what i was expecting anyhow
    Just outside Lifford on the St. Johnston road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nothing happened here, just a breezey mostly clear night with a few light rain showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

there was a slight dusting of snow on the ground this morning.

Mothman wrote: »
    I've put this into 2 other threads, but may as well go here as well.
    In the hour to midnight 8th Jan 2008 Malin Head recorded gust of 94kts, 108mph 173km/h.

In the following hour, to 01am 9th Jan 2008, a mean of 62knots, gust 91kts
    71mph gust 105mph
    114km/h gust 167 km/h
    was recorded.

This is 2 knots short of hurricane force.

3rd strongest gust in Malin Head's history (c120 yrs)

Finner Camp had gust to 86kts, 87mph, 140km/h,

Non event here after cold front passage. 2 gusts to 39mph.

what was the strongest gust ever recorded at malin head?

also, can you or anyone explain why was this a non-event for most of us?

what would have needed to happen for us to experience the worst of the winds from this last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think nacho and others will give a better explanation, but the centre of the Low moved further North than expected, if the centre of the Low had been further South we would have seen the worst.

The highest measured gust to date is 98 knots, recorded on 16th September 1961 when the remnants of "Hurricane Debbie" swept up along the west coast of Ireland causing widespread damage in this part of the country.

Villain wrote: »
    I think nacho and others will give a better explanation, but the centre of the Low moved further North than expected, if the centre of the Low had been further South we would have seen the worst.

The highest measured gust to date is 98 knots, recorded on 16th September 1961 when the remnants of "Hurricane Debbie" swept up along the west coast of Ireland causing widespread damage in this part of the country.

Thank Villian for the explanation. i thought it might be the low went too far north.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see from xcweather that Glen Ogle had a sustained windspeed of 76mph at 8.00am this morning! :eek:

I wonder what the chances are for snow here today? Rain has now moved in over Munster and Met E are now forecasting snow for 'northern' areas (as opposed to forecast for preceeding sleet and snow earlier).

I had slushy stuff frozed to the car this morning. Nice covering of snowon the Dublin Mountains thise morning - snowline approx. 200ft higher than me.

Current temp. here is +4.9c with DP of +1.7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It was anything but a non event here.
    Headed out this morning, light snow on the ground, thought it would be a bit slippy but nothing I couldnt handle.
    Just past Roundwood on the road to Kilmacanogue the snow started (seems like the showers were in a line hugging the mountains) and the road became leathal, it was very white everywhere and very very slippy, traffic was doing about 5kph and slipping everywhere.
    Eventually we just stopped and then people started coming the other direction and the lead car driver said that the road ahead was impassable and that there were 60!! cars trapped and unable to move forwards or back and traffic was being turned back.

So eventually made it back home and went to the N11 via Ashford, these falls seems to be very oreagraphic related, there was next to no snow even a mile east at the same elevation.

All in all, a fantastic morning even if it did take me two hours to get into work instead of 35 mins as usual.

Snow line now seems to be around 400 metres and rising fast in the cold cold rain.
    Hopefully a few mornings like it left this winter :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote: »
    Hopefully a few mornings like it left this winter :)

I think so. A lot of the LPs in the current setup seem to be much further south than last year. I'd say we'll have a couple of weeks here of rain/sleet/snow continuously alternating. One of them should produce a spectacular event here.

BTW - Frozen rain on the car this morning. Very hard to move. Lucky I wasn't going anywhere!!

A

Advertisement