Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very severe weather warning(wind and snow)

Options
  • 08-01-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Severe Weather Alert
    Becoming extremely windy or even stormy during today, with potentially damaging gusts of 120 to 150 km/hr.
    The stormy conditions will continue for much of tonight, with the most severe winds over Ulster, Connacht, and north Leinster.

Heavy rain today will be followed later by showers of hail, sleet and snow. Scattered thunderstorms also, with lying snow in places tonight.

Valid until 0900 Wednesday 9/1/08

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

As a request from a few posters and only right too as the title suggests a severe weather warning is in place for all regions tonight across the country.

Wind will be the main threat with gusts of over 140km/hr in places.
    In other words dont travel unless its a must.

Also a snow threat mainly for higher routes in the west,NW but snow will make it down to lower levels in the midlands and west and NW in showers later on in the night espeicially.

Keep on topic here and take care if out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Belmullet 54mph mean speed, storm force.
    Gust 83.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I should add that the high roads in Wicklow are probably impassable right now (or very dangerious) probably as the snow line is around 275 metres roughly.
    This means anyone that normally goes home via Sally or Wicklow Gaps should consider an alternate route tonight.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Christ,patience is required Villain. You have requested for me to create a thread and i have said give us a mo in the older thread.

Next time,just create your own thread without requesting.

Threads merged into this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm about to set out for home, I was going to take the Wicklow Gap but I think Rathdrum-Aughrim-Tinahely is a safer option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sorry Snowbie another mod Longfield said to create a new one in the other thread. apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It's very very windy here in Achill. The electricity is just about holding but I'm hearing lots of mysterious thuds from outside. Hope none of our slates have gone.

The Wicklow Gap is above the fields behind me that are covered currently, I really wouldnt risk it, is likely to be a slushy slippy mess up there, not nice.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Can anyone confirm that snow is in fact falling from the showers in the west as per the precipitype radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Longfield wrote: »
    The Wicklow Gap is above the fields behind me that are covered currently, I really wouldnt risk it, is likely to be a slushy slippy mess up there, not nice.

I emailed Kippure estate last night and warned them of the snow and winds this evening/tonight. Hopefully they didn't ignore it or they won't be getting home tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

darkman2 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that snow is in fact falling from the showers in the west as per the precipitype radar?

yes!:D
    well, i better qualify that a bit it's wet snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

yes!:D

:D:DSend it over. Are the showers likely to fizzle out as they cross the country or with the low so close and the energy around will they be able sustain themselves?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thundestorm reported at Shannon at 18.00.

This is going to be an interesting evening! F**k the TV - it'll be laptop to bed! :D

trogdor wrote: »
    I emailed Kippure estate last night and warned them of the snow and winds this evening/tonight. Hopefully they didn't ignore it or they won't be getting home tonight!

Well you were right, they certainly got snow, twas proper blizzard conditions here for a while so no doubt the same there too, with snow settling very very likely.

I'm mighty curious to see if arctictree had any settling stuff , he is definitly near the snow line height for sure, though proximity to the mountains brings it a little lower than otherwise hence the low levels here as I'm literally on the slopes of Scarr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

79mph gust past hour at Belmullet.

Shannon 63mph and thunderstorm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I live in Sandyford and it,s not to bad outside

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Carpenter wrote: »

Storm has not arrived yet - it is expected to be at its strongest here around midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Carpenter wrote: »

the low pressure's winds havn't really hit ireland yet, let alone sandyford- wait until around 11pm for dublin to get the winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭squonk

What was the site on the other thread earlier that showed the progress of the LP via a set of IR images in a movie?

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Christbait

Became very stormy here in shannon for a little while around 6pm with a lot of what appears to be hail settling on the ground. Calm now though with no precipitation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

wind brewing up big time ere in donegal

Cold 2 deg C & fairly moderate winds 20 kmh 35 kmh gusts, lots of driving rain here in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea that line of showers moving east looks like it could get heavier, maybe turn into a squall.

I was going to ask if it had any snow/hail in it but obviously not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote: »
    I'm mighty curious to see if arctictree had any settling stuff , he is definitly near the snow line height for sure, though proximity to the mountains brings it a little lower than otherwise hence the low levels here as I'm literally on the slopes of Scarr.

1.7c here ATM. Snow tried to settle on the car during the front earlier but failed. I'm closer to the coast here despite my elevation so, as you say snow would be at lower levels closer to the main mountains.

Will be interesting when that next band arrives - will temps go up or down?!!

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Just satrted to snow heavily here in central tipperary(not at high level0. I am confident there will be snow lying by morning. I always get snow in this sort of cold westerly setup.:D

The snow is quite wet at the moment .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

note from the GFS charts that the -5 at 850 hasn't entered yet! I suspect that when it enters many areas will go down to zero celsius...:) Correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

winds finally increasing here. Temp is 2.0c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

where are you in Tipp MUSIEST?.There are certainly some intense precipitation echo's over you now...with that trough elongating on a SW-NE axis...so could be with you for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Gone strangely quiet for the last 20 minutes after the last shower passed. Looking at met.ie's 3 hour forecast I expect things to pick up again for 9pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

wind picking up here in Colpe Cross, just south of Drogheda town. Temp 3degrees

Advertisement