Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Portfolio?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Miss!

Nah just too lazy to travel, besides cork was before ncad results!. Ill go to the gmit one for experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Got my results back for photography in DIT, gave me 500 points so I'm very happy with that even though I didn't have a clue how to make a proper portfolio and was just chancing my arm.

I only just noticed people here talking about some questionnarie that had to be filled in for IADT. I had no idea it even existed so I don't fancy my chances. Plus the fact that they asked for visual diaries and other stuff like that and I just submitted my photos. Oh well!
    That's really good! If I ever sub a portfolio it'd just be my photos. I dont keep a visual diary so not gna pretend I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 millimetres

Hi guys,
    I'm just curious as to whether or not anybody's heard anything about interviews or anything from IADT yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Hi guys,
    I'm just curious as to whether or not anybody's heard anything about interviews or anything from IADT yet?

I had mine two days ago. Not sure how long the interviews are on for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭rubdub

did anyone else get an email from IADT this morning with their portfolio results yet? got 360, a friend of mine didn't get one yet, also anyone hear any news about the interviews yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

rubdub wrote: »
    did anyone else get an email from IADT this morning with their portfolio results yet? got 360, a friend of mine didn't get one yet, also anyone hear any news about the interviews yet?

360 here for Fine Art, wonder how Dan got on ? No news on interviews etc Are you appling as a mature student ?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

I got my IADT result today, got 420 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Modette

Ugh i only got 270 for iadt:(...well at least i passed it!!haha...dont think i have a chance of gettin in though:S

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

are you going to share the pictures you select for your portfolio with us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 die.Kat

I got my IADT result today, got 420 :D

Same for me, I got 420 too

Funny, DIT gave me 350 and IADT 420 and I used almost the same pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

die.Kat wrote: »
    Same for me, I got 420 too

Funny, DIT gave me 350 and IADT 420 and I used almost the same pictures

:eek: I got 350 in DIT with nearly the exact same portfolio. mental

:eek: I got 350 in DIT with nearly the exact same portfolio. mental
    what a coincidence xD
    Well we do know now, that IADT would be better for us ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Hats_Off

Does anyone know what the points were for IADT in 2007?

I can't wait for CAO results to come out so I'm going to place all of my hopes in probability =)

So 2008 = 819
    and 2009 =699

That's a massive decrease of 120.
    I'm going to assume that this year it'll swing right back up but I'm doubting to the extent that it decreased, Yeah?

I got 480 from IADT. 390 from my leaving cert giving me 890.

The points will hardly jump up 200, will they?

Hats_Off wrote: »

I can't wait for CAO results to come out so I'm going to place all of my hopes in probability =)

So 2008 = 819
    and 2009 =699

I'm going to assume that this year it'll swing right back up but I'm doubting to the extent that it decreased, Yeah?

I bet you are in
    But 480 + 390 would be 870 :P

die.Kat wrote: »
    I bet you are in
    But 480 + 390 would be 870 :P

Heh :o Oopsie daisy

So 2008 = 819
    and 2009 =699

30% increase in submissions so you can take it the points will go up alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Well done guys, hope you all get the course!!!

=O 30%?? Where are you getting this figure from?

So we're talking about a possibility of the points increasing to 908 ish??

FFS....

Are they working it on a first preference basis?

I did a PLC Course and I will not get the full 400 points (you get 50 points for a Distinction, 35 for a Merit and 20 for a Pass). I hope that I will pass my Media Productions Course with a Distinction (3 out of 8 passed with Distinction) but even with the 420 from my Portfolio I would need wayy more then that.
    I am not sure if my german certificate would do me any good, but since I've done a PLC Course they probably wanna go with these points.
    So all I can do is hope...
    I'll know more in july.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I got 420 in IADT and that very same portfolio got unsuccessful in DIT. I did a PLC/FETAC course and hope to get the full 400 points from that because I did everything for it I'm so desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Does anyone know anyone that got 600?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Got my results back for photography in DIT, gave me 500 points so I'm very happy with that even though I didn't have a clue how to make a proper portfolio and was just chancing my arm.

I only just noticed people here talking about some questionnarie that had to be filled in for IADT. I had no idea it even existed so I don't fancy my chances. Plus the fact that they asked for visual diaries and other stuff like that and I just submitted my photos. Oh well!

Wow. What did you get from IADT as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Wow. What did you get from IADT as a matter of interest?

Nowhere near as good at IADT, they gave me 360 points for the EXACT same portfolio. Just goes to show just how vastly different they can be.

Any word of the interviews from IADT yet? Though I probably won't bother going to it now anyway.

DIT told me this week that I have a conditional place in the course, so as long as I have enough CAO points then I'm in. Just hope it's not too high this year (I know it probably will be), I've got 500 from the portfolio and 400 from my leaving cert, so fingers crossed that's enough!

Nowhere near as good at IADT, they gave me 360 points for the EXACT same portfolio. Just goes to show just how vastly different they can be.

Any word of the interviews from IADT yet? Though I probably won't bother going to it now anyway.

DIT told me this week that I have a conditional place in the course, so as long as I have enough CAO points then I'm in. Just hope it's not too high this year (I know it probably will be), I've got 500 from the portfolio and 400 from my leaving cert, so fingers crossed that's enough!

=) Delighted for you. Congratulations.

Did you contact DIT first or did they get onto you about receiving a conditional place?
    I wonder if IADT do the same thing...

I thought the interviews were ages ago to be honest. I'm pretty sure they're over and done with at this stage. At least a friend of mine that applied for film got his interview a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

=) Delighted for you. Congratulations.

Did you contact DIT first or did they get onto you about receiving a conditional place?
    I wonder if IADT do the same thing...

Thanks!

No I didn't contact them, they sent me out a letter in the post last week about it. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a conditional place offer, so it was a very nice surprise :D
    I thought the interviews were ages ago to be honest. I'm pretty sure they're over and done with at this stage. At least a friend of mine that applied for film got his interview a few weeks ago.

Oh okay, maybe I didin't need to sit one then for whatever reason. I don't know.

They interview secondary school applicants first due to exams etc, then everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 millimetres

480 from IADT and 300 from DIT with the exact same portfolio, except for two extra photos for IADT.
    Funny stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Doughy_xc

I'm currently studying for my Leaving Cert and I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do for my portfolio!
    First of all congrats on the results :)
    secondly..HELP! I'm quite confused on what I need to put into my folder.
    Can you put in sheets where you got inspiration from certain things like other pictures,colours,people,films etc? Can you also show your progression from the idea to the final picture as 1 thing to include into your final 20 images?

I am applying to IADT as my first choice and DIT as my second in photography. Failing to get a good portfolio mark I think I will apply for a PLC course in portfolio work..don't suppose anyone could recommend that or not?

I would be VERY grateful if you guys could help me :) I found this thread soooo helpful

• Advertisement

Doughy_xc wrote: »
    I'm quite confused on what I need to put into my folder.
    Can you put in sheets where you got inspiration from certain things like other pictures,colours,people,films etc? Can you also show your progression from the idea to the final picture as 1 thing to include into your final 20 images?
    [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
    [/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]line. [/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]rhythm. [/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]light. [/FONT]
    4. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]tonality. [/FONT]
    5. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]movement. [/FONT]
    6. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]reflection. [/FONT]
    7. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]perspective. [/FONT]
    8. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]contrast. [/FONT]
    9. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]positive/negative image. [/FONT]
    10. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]image of an image. [/FONT]
    11. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]square. [/FONT]
    12. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]circle. [/FONT]
    13. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]intersection of thirds. [/FONT]
    14. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]cropping. [/FONT]
    15. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]viewpoint. [/FONT]
    16. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]foreground/background. [/FONT]
    17. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]pattern. [/FONT]
    18. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]texture. [/FONT]
    19. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]interface. [/FONT]
    20. [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]intervention.[/FONT]

Get 2 note books,

One for tech notes; in this you could put "bad/failed" photos write why you think it did, ie a photo is over exposed/under exposed. Did you try a new technic ? How did it go ? What would you change ?

One for your own personal note book, it can be photos you like of other artists, gallery vists, etc etc

Above is a list of 20 photos you could do, don't forget to note iso's/shutter/f, so in your final portfoilo under or beside each photo have;

"Line" or "[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]intersection of thirds" etc[/FONT]
    ISO:100 F 2.8 S/S 500/s

Hope this helps, have fun.

Advertisement