Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Portfolio?

Options
  • 05-01-2008 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

How do I go about getting myself a portfolio? I have no idea on what should/should'nt be in it, or indeed what exactly a "portfolio" is for that matter. Could anyone clear this haze for me and a few mates of mine. We're all starting out in photography the last few months.

Regards,

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A portfolio is a selection of your images. A set of samples of your work.

What is in it - all depends on what you want from it. Wedding shots, portrait shots, sports shots, etc. All up to you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I tailor it to the client and the type of work they want, if its a wedding client then mostly wedding shots go in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭pokeroptimist

and do you have to print off these images? how do you present them? on mounting boards? frames? What size prints if you do print them off?

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Portfolio for college I presume? DIT and IADT look for slightly differently things.

DIT looks for 20-25 images based on 3 themes. They are marked out of 600 points. DIT awards marks under 3 categories, these are Technical ability, Articulation and I think the 3rd criteria is either originality or artistic qualities (been a few years since I submitted a portfolio). Each of these 3 criteria are given marks out of 3, so you can get 0,1,2 or 3 marks for each criteria with a total from 9 marks (9 marks =600 points......so 1 mark is effectively 67 points I think?) Thats why DIT portfolio scores get random points assigned to them.

IADT looks for 25-30 images with 3 to 4 themes I think. I'm not sure how they mark each portfolio but i don't think it is as militantly done as DIT (as in not marked out of 9 points).

If your looking to put together a portfolio for college purposes it is a good idea if you were to go to a PLC photography course for a year. The PLC's guide you on what you should be submitting to a portfolio and will get you into the right way of thinking for getting a portfolio together.

I've had friends go through both DIT & IADT and from what I know from them, IADT seems to be a bit less regimented and more room for artistic freedom and self direction. Thats just my opinion form hearing from both sides of the fence and from seeing final year work. If your in Dublin there is a new cafe in Smock Alley that is currently showing some DIT 3rd year work. It's just behind the buildings at Woody Quay where the Viking boat sits on the Quays if you fancied having a look?

EDIT: As for presenting them, a simple A4 booklet with clear plastic sleeves inside is what I used, withmy photos mounted onto black card and inserted into the sleeves. It all depends on how large you have prints you want to submit, so obviously an 18x12 print won't fit into an A4 sized portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Try put more emphasis on a scrapbook

they want people pukin out ideas/inspiration

if you just have amazingly good pics they wont take you cos they'll have you for 4 years, need to be able to teach ye stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Carbonmade.com do a good portfolio wesitey thing for free.

only your best photographs should appear not all of them try to have a few different types landscapes urban portrait etc. from what I've read you actually do not need that many.

Edit: although the requirements for DIT above would probably a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

yeah jus remember the usuals!

Quality, Not Quantity

If in doubt, leave it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Modette

im applying to both DIT and Dun Laoghaire photography this year with DIT as my 1st preference. I have a lot of diverse stuff done and thematic stuff done and DIT only want 20 photographs MAXIMUM..I was just wondering does anyone know what i should put into my portfolio for DIT? like i was thinking some darkroom stuff and then some digital stuff but should i pick a theme??or even 2 themes?..im really confused so any help would be greatly appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Hey modette, I'm applying to both this year too. D.I.T being my main choice.

I'm splitting my portfolio into about 3 themes.

1. Portraiture with a theme
    2. A personal project of mine exploring a certain camera technique
    3. a selection of abstract images focused on the elements of art (line, shape, form, tone etc)

Hopefully at the end of it all i'll have covered a wide variety of what they are looking for at a good quality and with a high quality of creativity :)

Are you going to the Dit photography open day tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

unreggd wrote: »
    Try put more emphasis on a scrapbook

they want people pukin out ideas/inspiration

if you just have amazingly good pics they wont take you cos they'll have you for 4 years, need to be able to teach ye stuff!

Are ye Serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I'm going to make a photography portfolio for those two colleges too, only I put IADT as number one. In Dun Laoghaire they recommended not to go over A3 in portfolio size, otherwise it's too big, I believe thats what DIT recommended. I'm in the middle of making a fine art portfolio in a FETAC course too, I hope to get the photography one started very soon, I need to get a lot printed for a start, the pressure!

I don't think I'll go to the DIT open day for photography though.

EDIT: I read that post about themes above, just three themes? is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, if it's an application for a college, then they want to see you're interested and can show ideas in your work, rather than just producing technically perfect photos, they can show you that when you're studying there, they can't teach you creativity.

If it's for work, tailor it for the industry you're in. Get a GOOD portfolio, thick, classy with black leather. It'll last you a long time. Go for as large as you can comfortably carry around, 11 x 14 is a nice size, I find. Get your name tastefully embossed on the front of it.

Twenty photos is perfect. Be smart about how you choose them and put them together, you want to show your skills, without being too vague. Keep it up to date. I wouldn't advise mounting them if it's to go in a portfolio, the mounts will get damaged and it'll show poorly. Get the plastic inserts, loads of them, a hundred to start with, they're quite cheap. Make sure they're GOOD quality, you don't want to be able to see the plastic sheets, you want to be able to see the prints. Then get a few sheets of relatively heavy black paper to put between the prints, it'll give the pages extra weight and keep the plastic inserts taut.

Good luck!

dan759 wrote: »
    Hey modette, I'm applying to both this year too. D.I.T being my main choice.

I'm splitting my portfolio into about 3 themes.

1. Portraiture with a theme
    2. A personal project of mine exploring a certain camera technique
    3. a selection of abstract images focused on the elements of art (line, shape, form, tone etc)

Hopefully at the end of it all i'll have covered a wide variety of what they are looking for at a good quality and with a high quality of creativity :)

Are you going to the Dit photography open day tomorrow?

No couldnt get time off to go unfortuately:(..would have loved to go though:(..theyre great themes, u sound like u have it all sussed out:)...i have so many different themes, i have about 100 photos that need to be narrowed down to 20!!!! lol...i have some darkroom and some photojournalistic stuff too, and DIT do put the emphasis on the photojournalistic side of things rather than the fine art side of things dont they?
    as far as the darkroom stuff, theyre not the best stuff ive done but i wanna put them in anyway to show my technical abilities in the darkroom..or should i just put in all digital??really confused, but im sure ill get there in the end lol:)..i also wanted to do some stuff that shows that i looked at other photographers!!
    are u thinkin of putting writing into your portfolio to explain what your doing with the images or are you just gonna let the images explain themselves??

They showed us a portfolio today from one of last years applicants that got in.

He had 3-4 themes throughout. 3-4 images per theme. At the start of each theme he had a tiny little write up explaining what it was about and what the context of the images were. It seemed pretty basic picture-wise, but they liked how he developed an idea and progressed with it.

They said not to focus so much on the 20 image limit. Just to show off the development of an idea with strong images (Less is more). If theres an image your unsure of, to take it out as if theres 13 strong images and 1 weak, they'll remember the weak one more. They said to make sure the selection stands out and will grab their attention too!

Also, A notebook of ideas, processes, contact sheets etc. To show you are creative and how you actually developed your ideas. (They really stressed this one!)

They didnt seem to mind that half the people there had never used film or been in a dark room as they said they teach all that there anyway.

God i hope i get accepted there.. Definitely my number 1 choice after seeing it!

Oh really disapointed i missed it:(:(, was there many there??
    god, only 3-4 images per theme??i was thinkin maybe putting in a notebook showing inspiration from famous photographers, like collages and stuff like that too..
    thanks for posting this, it really helps your a star:)..I hope you get in too!!!

Well its just going by what they said :P

Better having 3-4 really strong images for each theme than 5 and having a weak one or two in it!

Yeah, im gonna fill my notebook with the same kind of stuff. Cut-outs form magazines, other artists work etc.

No worries on the update :) Glad i could help! Hope we both get in lol! Boardsies invasion!

Thanks for the info dan.

No problem guys :)

Best of luck with your applications!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pauld1

just wondering it says something about a theme of a event that you have attented any one doing this ?also how are peolple coming along on this havend put mine together yet.....:o

so the day of reckoning is almost upon us!!!:P..everybody finished and ready to go for DIT??i was jus wondrin....what are u guys using to display your photos in??i mean, all of my photos are slightly smaller than a4 in size so should i just use an a4 folder with a zipper or what??any help on this would be great!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Modette wrote: »
    so the day of reckoning is almost upon us!!!:P..everybody finished and ready to go for DIT??i was jus wondrin....what are u guys using to display your photos in??i mean, all of my photos are slightly smaller than a4 in size so should i just use an a4 folder with a zipper or what??any help on this would be great!!:)

a folder maybe, with the images mounted, maybe in clear sleeves ( not matt ). they're gonna go through alot, so something simple to get through will be ideal, no loose pages etc. shanahans on canden street would have a selection, student discount early in week too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

a folder maybe, with the images mounted, maybe in clear sleeves ( not matt ). they're gonna go through alot, so something simple to get through will be ideal, no loose pages etc. shanahans on canden street would have a selection, student discount early in week too

I just got a A3 portfolio from O'sullivans on Camden Street, they have a 20% student distcount too. Damn pricey for what they are though, boo!!

Hey guys, How'd it all go for everyone? Get everything done on time? :)

Im quite happy with mine. I put in about 16 images spread across 3 themes. All printed 16x11 and put into an A3 portfolio.

I also included my scrapbook, a folder full of contact sheets from all my other projects ive done in the past year and a sample Essay from my Art history essay on a photographer :)

Can't believe we get the score within a month!! :eek:

I'll be freaking out till then lol

Yes I left mine in, 20 images, 4 themes, visual journal with some related photographs that didn't make it and a short story behind each portfolio image, I printed them on 10x8 in an A3 portfolio. I also submitted an art portfolio but that's another story...

Sounds good Adriatic!

I'm currently obsessing about the results.. Its gonna be a long month :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lollirotted

Hey, im submitting a photograpy portfolio for IADT on the 23rd of March, i was just wondering if i should get my 25-30 pieces professionally printed? Thanks for any help!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Hey, im submitting a photograpy portfolio for IADT on the 23rd of March, i was just wondering if i should get my 25-30 pieces professionally printed? Thanks for any help!

what other means to print would you use, depends on size and printers available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

There's a few ways to do it. Photobox, aldi/AAAaarvey normans/boots type shots, pro-printer, send away and get a book printed etc.

It all depends on how much you can spend, what you think will show off your images and represent your work the best!! If you are sending off to the likes of photobox or something that needs to be posted, just make sure you'll have it in time. You're looking at less than two weeks to D-day.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Sounds like a silly question, and I am sure someone else has asked this but I have not seen the OP answer it but...

What do you need the portfolio for? Depending on what your portfolio is for the expectations and requirements will be different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

Hey does anyone know when IADT sends out the portfolio results??
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement