Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's wealth and its young kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

ntlbell wrote: »
    But you sound like you know what you're talking about, and my thoughts on a TV in a child's bedroom regardless of my current situation will most definitely lead me to having problems during the recession.

You're on the ball son.
    Nothing to do with your thoughts on the TV in the child's bedroom. I guess petulance and rudeness were widespread in Tallaght when you were growing up or something? Or did you actually just lick it off a stamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Sleepy wrote: »
    Nothing to do with your thoughts on the TV in the child's bedroom. I guess petulance and rudeness were widespread in Tallaght when you were growing up or something? Or did you actually just lick it off a stamp?

Oh? so now rudeness will cause me problems when it's time to tighten the belt.

Again, you make loads of sense thanks for joining in!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, quite probably. Who wants to hire the rude candidate for a job or do business with the irritating person?

If you'd just stated that you don't believe someone buying a TV for a 5 year old is necessarily a bad parent, I'd probably agree with you. It's when you start goading other posters and acting like a petulant three year old when a mod warns you to quit trolling that people are going to assume your own parents were guilty of spoiling you as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

ntlbell, sandy vagina?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Grew up in the 80s too. Got a ZX Spectrum for Christmas one year, value around IR£180.00. It was both me and my bro's combined Christmas & Birthday presents, and even at that we knew it was a stretch. Gave us years of fun though...:)

Nothing more depressing than seeing kids now absent-mindedly tearing wrappers off multiple presents worth hundreds of euro, then putting on a bored expression and moving onto the next present.

A friend of mine has a 7yr old girl who put her eye on an expensive Barbie for Christmas. He told her how much over Santa's budget it was and how she had to contribute the difference so that other kids wouldn't go without. He then helped her work out how much of her pocket money she needed to save each week to get the Barbie. That girl saved her money every week from April last year and got her Barbie for Christmas. Now that's parenting...;)

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well, quite probably. Who wants to hire the rude candidate for a job or do business with the irritating person?

If you'd just stated that you don't believe someone buying a TV for a 5 year old is necessarily a bad parent, I'd probably agree with you. It's when you start goading other posters and acting like a petulant three year old when a mod warns you to quit trolling that people are going to assume your own parents were guilty of spoiling you as a child.

I don't know, everyone that's hired me so far I guess.

Because I wasn't trolling, maybe it's tough for dudess to understand that one of the beauties of the internets is you get to hear all sorts of opinions from a wide range of backgrounds, this is not coffee morning in the local church in cobh, they were/are my honest opinion on the subject the culchie remarks were a joke that I apoligised for and yet a few pages later we're still talking about it.

for anyone on the thread that lives outside the pale and may think i was referring to you when i said "culchie" I wasn't, it was a bit of banter that I realise now is not acceptable on boards and won't be using again!

that's all

sleepy, you rock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

do you honestly think you weren't being a sarky bitch?

we can handle differences of opinion, it's idiots that get my goat.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Grew up in the 80s too. Got a ZX Spectrum for Christmas one year, value around IR£180.00. It was both me and my bro's combined Christmas & Birthday presents, and even at that we knew it was a stretch. Gave us years of fun though...:)

Nothing more depressing than seeing kids now absent-mindedly tearing wrappers off multiple presents worth hundreds of euro, then putting on a bored expression and moving onto the next present.

To me in the early 80's a family with a vic 20 or zx or cpc was very posh ;)

Mordeth wrote: »
    do you honestly think you weren't being a sarky bitch?

we can handle differences of opinion, it's idiots that get my goat.

I realise now Carlow was below the belt!

no one lives in Carlow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'll take the smell of a sugar factory over the stench of dublins urine soaked streets

oh wiat, the sugar factory is closed down. carlow ftw! you don't have to strategically inhale when you are walking around town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Shut up.
    ¬_¬

Irish kids are better off than the previous generation who in turn were better off than the previous generation who in turn were grateful for a spud and a piece of coal and their own room and would quite happily walk 15 million miles to the moon every day.
    Carlow is a shithole.
    I will ban those who cannot argue without attacking another poster.

...FACT!

Mordeth wrote: »
    i'll take the smell of a sugar factory over the stench of dublins urine soaked streets

oh wiat, the sugar factory is closed down. carlow ftw! you don't have to strategically inhale when you are walking around town

Do you hear that ace? what's that ace? you hear a sarky lil bitch ace?

Do you hear that ace? what's that ace? you hear a sarky lil bitch ace?

ntlbellend is going to go sit on the naughty shtep. Everyone else: back on topic.

Back on yore ma, Karoma.

Giddyup!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

Karoma wrote: »
    Shut up.
    ¬_¬

Carlow is a shithole.

...FACT!

Bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think Ernest Cline "When I was a Kid" puts it best.

humbert wrote: »
    I think Ernest Cline "When I was a Kid" puts it best.

I think Yore Ma! puts it best in her book

pid(): Banned from life.

newestUser: Wrong. :p Back on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Maybe a bit harsh. I thought it was funny :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That NTLBell fella called me a culchie to my face at least once. I'm glad that monster has been banished from this fine kingdom!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I can see why children today could seem spoilt and I thunk it's mostly because their parents and relatives did grow up with less and want the kids to have as much as possible. My three year old nephew got a ton of stuff this year since (a) it was the first year he had any real concept of what christmas was and (b) we had the money to spoil him. If we didn't have the money he would have gotten a yo for christmas.

I make a point of going overboard when buying presents for my family because I can remember when we had nothing and times like birthdays and christmas were stressful because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

What if, being spoiled when you were young gave you the ambition to be successful when you are older, because you have experienced the finer things in life you want that standard all the time. It would require that your parents cut you off financially after school / college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

But is it not more likely that someone who is completely spoiled throughout their childhood and teenage years is more likely to look to mummy and daddy to continue to provide for them in the style they've become accustomed to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ixoy wrote: »
    What confuses me Dudess is how your friends aren't wealthy but are able to build massive houses when anyone I know (and I think we're around the same age here) could barely afford to buy a two-bed in the back of beyond.. Admit it, you're wallowing in cash :D
    None of them have jobs with phenomenal salaries and it can work out cheaper to buy a site and build using direct labour, which is what they've all done. Two of them are actually involved in the construction industry. But I'm not really focusing on the house, more the crazy amount of stuff (to me) that the kid has.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    If you really feel the need to judge these peoples parenting skills, then I think you'll do well to base it on the above observations.
    :confused: That's what I did. I said, in fairness, the kid is well-mannered and polite etc and he'll probably turn out fine in every other respect, but he won't have any appreciation for money, material goods etc. I mean, where's the fun in that for a kid? Christmas must be far less exciting now than it was before Ireland's economic boom.
    dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    For god sake, every generation have had it better than the one before.
    Yeah of course, but there's one big difference: Ireland was never wealthy until recently.
    From my experience, the difference between a child being raised well and being raised badly has nothing to do with how wealthy the family is.
    Absolutely. And I'm not talking about how the child is reared in a general sense, I'm only focusing on one aspect.
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    Could of been buying for a Santa's grotto, work related kids Xmas party or for charity.
    THAT many people with trolley-loads of toys?!
    kelle wrote: »
    They probably got a site free of charge from their parents, like I did. Then you are encouraged by the architect to build as big a house as you can, as extras only cost an extra few thousand, and you think - what's an extra few thousand when you're getting the site free.
    Yeah, one of the girls I know who's building says it's quite easy to get carried away.
    astrofool wrote: »
    As other people have mentioned, there doesn't seem to be much point in this thread. If you compare a typical child's upbringing in the 80's to the 60's then the 80's kid will be leading a far more opulent lifestyle. Hell, almost everyone in Ireland has a better standard of living than a king would have had back in the 16th century.
    But again, Ireland never had the wealth it has now - it's not even relative wealth compared to 20 years ago, it's a full-on assault of cash. And what's being done with it is extreme.
    So they have a nice house, it's the one area where you DO spend your money
    I'm not talking about the house.
    LCD Tv's are getting cheaper by the day, and if you shop around, everything can be got at bargain prices (something which a lot of people don't bother to do)
    No need to buy one for the kid though. If it's so that the parents can watch TV in peace without the kid whinging because they want to see something on the other station, then why can't the kid just be told no?! That's what my parents did!
    LouOB wrote: »
    children do not understand the concept of wealth. They are children. Once they have loving and supporting family, money is irrelevant.
    Yes, but what about when they grow up?!
    Duckjob wrote: »
    And that's what I witnessed. Ok there was a forced "thank you" but it still wasn't pleasant to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Aye, the whole economy thing isnt looking too good for the next decade or so.

House prices are going down, people are borrowing more, companys are pulling out left right and centre, price off oil has just hit $100 a barrel, we've tits up big time with our immigration its becoming a free for all, so when all the major companys pull out there will be 50 people running for the one job to pay the high intrest levels to keep up with the jones's.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The country is turning into a right mess, Bertie has a lot to answer for and to all the people that voted FF back in your all a bunch of muppets and deserve whats going to happen.
    As for the rest of us, the majority that sit back and say nothing, well your just as bad.

Day in day out you here people moaning but do they do anything about it, 9/10 they don't, like what do you expect ? do you think someone else will ?
    Two prime examples, the huge increase in foreign workers that work for less pay and petrol prices, you hear people moan everyday and are usually all talk, people moaning about it online, instead of all this why don't they go out and actually protest about it.
    Look at the French people, price of petrol goes up there and they block the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

2008 will be tough, 2009 will be a good year (financially), it's all swings and roundabouts. Being able to have large tv's and houses is what capitalism is about.

A communist see's someone with a large house and expensive car, and says "no man should have this much" a capitalist says "Every man should have this much".

And why not buy a TV for a kid? They're cheap these days, as long as there's rules attached to it's usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

astrofool wrote: »
    a capitalist says "Every man should have this much".

:)That's the spin. The truth is a proper capitalist says "I'm going to grab as much as I can as fast as I can while the pickings are good and the devil take the hindmost"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

5starpool wrote: »
    That NTLBell fella called me a culchie to my face at least once. I'm glad that monster has been banished from this fine kingdom!!!
    Meh, the "culchie" remarks on their own weren't any great concern, it's just when they were combined with comments obviously designed to do nothing but rise people:
    After that he has a tv and digital TV? oh he'll burn in hell.

You do realise it's 07 and not 87?

This sounds pretty normal for me.
    It's not like the 5yr old has a property portfolio and a few cars.

Television..it's not all that new....

Advertisement