Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's wealth and its young kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Mordeth wrote: »
    he's a five year old child. he shouldn't have access to sky bloody digital in his room!

well no, i shouldn't say shouldn't :) but still, imo that's pretty ****ing stupid. It's just not something a 5 year old needs, although in the future it could come in handy as a bargaining chip. 'do your chores or you'll see what it's like to stare at your wall all night long'

but if they're putting it into the rooms for free, why not? it has parental control so you can just allow nicklodeon or whatever kids watch these days.

It's not surprising the OP is from cork and you're from carlow or something.

out of the stix lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My parents are very well off and own a large amount of property here and abroad. All I used to get when I was younger was how spoilt I was, how lucky I was, better off then everyone etc - without grounding actually, seeing as my parents never gave me money once I was 15 years of age, they don't give me anything through college, in fact I pay them rent money during the year. They don't believe in handouts, even if they won the lotto they'd probably be the same.

There are plenty of spoilt kids in familes with low incomes, it's not an attribute of the wealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

HavoK wrote: »
    My parents are very well off and own a large amount of property here and abroad. All I used to get when I was younger was how spoilt I was, how lucky I was, better off then everyone etc - without grounding actually, seeing as my parents never gave me money once I was 15 years of age, they don't give me anything through college, in fact I pay them rent money during the year. They don't believe in handouts, even if they won the lotto they'd probably be the same.

There are plenty of spoilt kids in familes with low incomes, it's not an attribute of the wealthy.

I think you may be the exception to the rule HavoK but I agree with you about spoilt kids in families with low incomes - some people just dont know where to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I can understand why some (not all) kids are spoilt. If you grew up in the generation I did (or more specifically your parents became parents when mine did) then the various wage increases in the public service (until recently my parents both had state jobs) and the increase in property prices has made you less concerned about money than you once were and more willing and able to give your kids they things they want because you weren't in a position to do it before.

When I was in primary school in the early 90's you had the whole PE gear thing with competition for the latest runners, etc. I wore Dunnes clothes (this is back when they were dirt cheap and piss poor quality).

I got 50p a week in pocket money and vividly remember one week were my mam felt so horrible because she couldn't afford to give us our pocket money.
    At the time she was a care assistant and training to be a nurse, my dad had been made redundant and was trying to start a driving school.
    We survived on a sack of spuds and a tray of eggs for ages.

The driving school thing didn't work out (funny thing is about a year after my dad gave in and joined CIE the business took off) but we had enough money to move froma two bed terraced house to a new three bed semi.

In 03 we moved to Cavan and bought a four bed house on half an acre. My parents were mortgage free but living in Cavan didn't agree with us so we moved to Dunshaughlin.

They now have a mortgage of about 100k but my mam now has a much better job and we can afford to live very well.
    You'd think that with the money we now have you could afford to let your hair down and by the things you want in life but the expience of living off nothing stops you from spending moeny on silly stuff (my dad agonised for three years over buying a new car).

Anywho, the point of this is that growing up in the circumstances that I did has meant that not only do I know the value of money but also that I know how to handle it. It's down to the parents and their inability to say no.

I know it's hard to explain the finer points of being peniless to a kid who's being teased for what they wear or what toys they have but there's no reason parents can't try to teach their kids the value of money by saying no or god forbid making them work for their pocket money and teaching them to save for what they want rather than instant gratification.

GDM wrote: »

Anywho, the point of this is that growing up in the circumstances that I did has meant that not only do I know the value of money but also that I know how to handle it. It's down to the parents and their inability to say no.

I know it's hard to explain the finer points of being peniless to a kid who's being teased for what they wear or what toys they have but there's no reason parents can't try to teach their kids the value of money by saying no or god forbid making them work for their pocket money and teaching them to save for what they want rather than instant gratification.

Saying and that's the reason I value money today is a bit silly really.

I know lots of people who were in your situation and today they pi** it up the wall because they didn't have the nice things when they were younger and now they want them all.

There's seven kids in my family we went through hard times and some good times but we all treat money differently, because we're individual people and see things in a different way.

My parents did nothing to cause money to burn a hole in my brothers pocket and they didn't really do anything special to make me be fairly careful.

I enjoy my money and spend enough to be happy but also live within my means and I'm debt free.

If the answer to making kids appreciate and respect money was as easy as feeding him eggs and spuds and putting him in sizzlers, parenting would be a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I have no appreciation of money at all, but that has to do with the amount of money I see and handle while playing poker primarily, and nothing to do with my upbringing in the years when santy would bring marla, colouring books, and maybe one treat like buckaroo a year.

Also, the most important part of the OP, is where they say it is a wet room, not just an en suite. Excuse, my ignorance, but what is a wet room in this context, as opposed to a room that has loads of moisture in it.

5starpool wrote: »
    I have no appreciation of money at all, but that has to do with the amount of money I see and handle while playing poker primarily, and nothing to do with my upbringing in the years when santy would bring marla, colouring books, and maybe one treat like buckaroo a year.

Also, the most important part of the OP, is where they say it is a wet room, not just an en suite. Excuse, my ignorance, but what is a wet room in this context, as opposed to a room that has loads of moisture in it.

You're just used to never having it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A wet room is a recent fad in interior design where essentially the entire bathroom is a shower.

I think the next few years are going to be fascinating from a sociological point of view. Speaking from an economic point of view, a capitalist society will normally go through a 7 year cycle of busts and booms. Ireland has managed what if I'm not mistaken is the unprecedented run of fourteen year boom (with possibly the last seven being fuelled by a property bubble). This is interesting to me because 14 years is the pretty much the length of time it takes for a child to go from grasping the very basics about money (i.e. you give it to the lady in the sweet shop to get sweets) to reaching adulthood.

We have an entire generation of young adults who have no concept of hardship and no idea how to survive it. Even speaking for my own generation (I'm 27) who can remember the hardships of the 80's (and I can certainly identify with a lot of the posters talking about not having branded clothes, expensive christmas presents or high expectations of them) haven't ever tried to support themselves during a recession.

There's gonna be a lot of screaming brats either next Christmas or the Christmas after, and virtually everyone under the age of 30 (or at least those who haven't had a house bought before 2000) is going to have to deal with a huge shock to their 'lifestyle'. Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

ntlbell wrote: »

out of the stix lads.

Oh come the **** on.... because the lads don't come from Dublin their opinions are somehow not valid?

It's bad enough that the tv watching time for kids is on the up and up while physical interests are dropping off.....even worse to get them into the habit of staying in their room all the time at such a young age.

One could happily read into these as being signs of lazy parenting.

Dragan
    - Leader of the Culchie Mafia

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Jaysus! when I was young if I didn't wake up with a ha*d-on Christmas morning i'd have nothing to play with for the rest of the day!!
    Seriously though, it's interesting to read the above posts. As someone who has experienced the "hairshirt" 80's in the days of black, white and grey when I was starting my married life etc. it's not hard to see why so many people want to live a bit and give their kids a bit of luxury. They really were terrible years. We only started to realise what a bit of comfort was when airline travel became cheaper and we saw what we were missing out on. I'm not resentful, but Ireland transformed from a relatively third world depressive economy almost overnight, and, many did really well. There's nothing wrong with that. Some folk are still struggling to make ends meet but still have a lot more comfort and quality of life than say 20yrs ago, and there is a sort of resentment of the new wealth. I say fair play, we couldn't live in a bit of luxury for years and if you have a few bob, well you can't bring it to the grave. As for the kids, don't forget the world is far more competitive now than it ever was, and in the years ahead, the kids of today have to be honed to be ultra competitive to survive and this means knowledge of as much as they can get their hands on even including playstation 3's etc. That's the way it's going whether we like it or not. The more comfortable a child is, the more he or she will be adaptable to learn and strive.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    Oh come the **** on.... because the lads don't come from Dublin their opinions are somehow not valid?

It's bad enough that the tv watching time for kids is on the up and up while physical interests are dropping off.....even worse to get them into the habit of staying in their room all the time at such a young age.

One could happily read into these as being signs of lazy parenting.

Dragan
    - Leader of the Culchie Mafia

From the OP stating that the child was very well behaved, polite etc I wouldn't think they're lazy at all.

As much as being a culchie doesn't automatically make you a mumbling baboon although there's a lot of evidence to say other wise. putting a tv in your child's bedroom doesn't automatically make you a bad/lazy parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ntlbell, you're making some trollish comments and it's giving me the impression that you're trying to get a rise out of people. By all means take part in the discussion but please leave the nonsensical remarks out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Meh. They;ll all be screwed when the revolution comes.

Dudess wrote: »
    ntlbell, you're making some trollish comments and it's giving me the impression that you're trying to get a rise out of people. By all means take part in the discussion but please leave the nonsensical remarks out of it.

eh?

Making an assumption that a parent is lazy based on the fact they bought a tv is nonsensical i pointed it out, end of story.

No, not at all. I'm referring to your "culchie" remarks.

No, not at all. I'm referring to your "culchie" remarks.

oh that was some light hearted after hours banter for that I'm very sorry.

wow, first week we're eager.

After that he has a tv and digital TV? oh he'll burn in hell.

You do realise it's 07 and not 87?

This sounds pretty normal for me.
    Trying to provoke a reaction by getting confrontational when it's unwarranted.
    it's a TV...?

It's not like the 5yr old has a property portfolio and a few cars.

Television..it's not all that new....
    Swimming against the tide of logic and commonsense just to get a reaction.

out of the stix lads.
    Trolling
    As much as being a culchie doesn't automatically make you a mumbling baboon although there's a lot of evidence to say other wise
    Trolling.

Kindly refrain.

Can I go around quoting you and changing what you said to what I think it said to suit me?

Is your friend who put the TV in the 5yr olds bedroom going against the tide to get a reaction from people like you who she invites in to view the home?

No, so why would I be doing it for a reaction, I don't think there's anything wrong with a TV in a 5yr olds bedroom as long as the viewing of it is controlled in some fashion.

As I had all ready stated previously, the culchie bit was banter I didn't think you were going get upset, I said sorry, why you continue to drag it out is beyond me.

Can I go around quoting you and changing what you said to what I think it said to suit me?
    I did not do that, I just quoted the parts where you were clearly trying to piss people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As other people have mentioned, there doesn't seem to be much point in this thread. If you compare a typical child's upbringing in the 80's to the 60's then the 80's kid will be leading a far more opulent lifestyle. Hell, almost everyone in Ireland has a better standard of living than a king would have had back in the 16th century.

So they have a nice house, it's the one area where you DO spend your money, as it will appreciate as an asset, that shower room and walk in wardrobe will add thousands in sell on value if the need ever arises. LCD Tv's are getting cheaper by the day, and if you shop around, everything can be got at bargain prices (something which a lot of people don't bother to do).

Over in the states recently, I was able to get top designer clothes at 20% the cost they would be here, some as cheap as the fall apart pieces you get in Penney's/Dunnes (which I'd use as well).

• Advertisement

I did not do that, I just quoted the parts where you were clearly trying to piss people off.

Were you assumed I was because you didn't read the part where i said it was banter and said sorry.

Good girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Good girl.
    Don't patronize other members.

If you don't see where the OP is coming from and cannot be convinced, give up and move on. Plenty of other threads and other fora.

All of you, get back on topic.

Were you assumed I was because you didn't read the part where i said it was banter and said sorry.
    Meh, that apology looked pretty phony to me:
    oh that was some light hearted after hours banter for that I'm very sorry.

wow, first week we're eager.
    But enough of that. Let's all hug!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ixoy wrote: »
    What confuses me Dudess is how your friends aren't wealthy but are able to build massive houses when anyone I know (and I think we're around the same age here) could barely afford to buy a two-bed in the back of beyond.. Admit it, you're wallowing in cash :D

Maybe she lives in the countryside? You could build a 2,500 sq ft house with all the trimmings for a lot less than the price of a 2-bed apartment in Dublin suburbia...

Meh, that apology looked pretty phony to me:

But enough of that. Let's all hug!

Oh look at that, taken what I said and changing it into what YOU think I said.

You're not very good at the aul perception thing.

9/10 for effort tho!

good..gi...ah nm..

Careful now...

And, like Karoma said: back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Only read main thread and understand the concept of the arguement.
    There are different issues to approach here
    1. Maybe person bringing up child didnt have nice upbringing therefore spoiling child
    2. Mother had same upbringing and does not know how to teach child any difference - but at least child had manners - major plus
    3. Such wealth cannot be sustained my ecomony
    4. Though child had all the latest gadgets n stuff - bet ya 20yo that said child played with empty box with another child or relative over the christmas

Conclusion - children do not understand the concept of wealth. They are children. Once they have loving and supporting family, money is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

ntlbell, something tells me that you're exactly the generation that's going to have most problems dealing with the recession. The arrogance and goading of others you're displaying in this thread are pretty typical amongst those that were spoilt as children.

Sleepy wrote: »
    ntlbell, something tells me that you're exactly the generation that's going to have most problems dealing with the recession. The arrogance and goading of others you're displaying in this thread are pretty typical amongst those that were spoilt as children.

Well I grew up in a large working class family in Tallaght with very little, during the late 70's and early 80's it turned into a one parent familiy and had less.

But you sound like you know what you're talking about, and my thoughts on a TV in a child's bedroom regardless of my current situation will most definitely lead me to having problems during the recession.

You're on the ball son.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's strange, my parents raised me to have respect for money, I've never been demanding in my life and have always thought long and hard before spending any large sum of money.

My sister is the complete opposite. She's 16, demanding and indifferent towards money. She has NO concept whatsoever of the value of money.

I've noticed some striking differences in the way we were both raised, despite the fact that we have to same parents. I think alot of her demanding nature came from the type of friends she hung/hangs around with and the way their parents raised them. As a result this has possibly made it a lot harder to raise her as they raised me. I just happened to make friends with people less well off than myself and I therefore never became demanding in this fashion.

What's also interesting is that my parents are getting less careful about the money they spend. I think this is the result of my sister being demanding as well as influence by their own peers. The other day they asked me out of the blue "Do you think we should get a 36" TV?". Now we have about 6 TVs in our house already, one of which is a flatscreen 32" and another of which is a 28" widescreen. Put simply, we have absolutely no reason to buy another TV. All I could do was look at them funnily and ask, "What? Why?". I mean, my instinct tells me that such an expensive purchase should not be a spur of the moment decision based on an "Ah sure we can afford it." mentality, it should be analysed for its necessity and long term worth. It's strange how I live by the values they taught me yet they no longer seem to....

Advertisement