Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's wealth and its young kids

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Child of the '80s as well and I didn't get everything handed to me either. I remember when I got an Amiga computer in '90 and I had to supplement Santa with my own savings to buy the thing and I was still happy!

Having said that my parent's neighbours would be fairly well off in a nice area of Dublin and they don't spoil their kids. The kids are well behaved and quite sweet (10 and 11 I think) and were eager to show their toys to us without being annoying about it - there is hope for the generation.

What confuses me Dudess is how your friends aren't wealthy but are able to build massive houses when anyone I know (and I think we're around the same age here) could barely afford to buy a two-bed in the back of beyond.. Admit it, you're wallowing in cash :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

ixoy wrote: »
    Child of the '80s as well and I didn't get everything
    What confuses me Dudess is how your friends aren't wealthy but are able to build massive houses when anyone I know (and I think we're around the same age here) could barely afford to buy a two-bed in the back of beyond.. Admit it, you're wallowing in cash :D

Its not their money. Its the banks money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The rich just keep getting richer, their kids more spoilt, turning into little brats and becoming more big headed than their parents. It just amazes me how coming into money can turn people into right pricks that have such a high opinion of themselves. I've first hand experience of this, a relation came into money years ago and ever since he's just a big head, you'd would literally have to pay him to get the time of day off him, only time you would see him would be at a funeral were he thinks he will be in the will.

More and more people in this country catching the "Yuppie Syndrome" is a joke, trying to out do there neighbours and want the "look at me" attention from others. They are that far into their own wee world that they fail to see that the majority of people don't car or are just laughing at them.
    Why has this trend developed, are people that unhappy :confused:

You only have to look around housing estates around the country, in picticular the afforable housing estates where you will never own the house and pay cheap rent, here you will find different classes of yuppies, the one's that pump thousands upon thousands into a house they will never own;
    1. The family that's come into money and just want to show off or compete with the neighbour next door, it's starts with the car, then the garden, onto the house and then the attitude where the nose goes up at everyone else.
    2. Then there's the so called single mother with no money that turns up for the interview for the house either on foot or a banger of a car. When they get the house and on move all of a sudden the car turns into a brand new one, usually the pay half now and rest next year or the typical cheap (not a landrover, they can't afford that) school run jeep. 9/10 turns out that they are recently split up and have got a mountain of money from the split ie. sale of a house.
    3. Then you have the complete wanna be SSIA yuppie family that are just show-offs and stuck up from day one. These are usually a family that have sold there house and pretend poverty to get the afforable house. On move in 9/10 all of the money they made from the sale of their previous house gose into ripping the house apart and redoing it into a palace. All of the above mentioned follow too, from car to garden and the famous wood decking :rolleyes:
    It's awful to see this going on everywhere, people that clearly don't need a house and given one, sometimes in the space of a matter of weeks and the person that has been on the housing list for years just told there is none. Again this is just a case of the rich looking after the rich via contacts and lies.

You can't really blame the young rich or yuppie children, to them in most cases it just seems to be the norm and the way things work.
    As for the normal Joe that wants to play big shoot via borrowed money or selling his home and moving into a rented one is just baffling and stupid, these will be the ones hit first when the country goes under, it's already starting.

My opinion is that the SSIA scheme triggered all this off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

hellboy99 wrote: »
    My opinion is that the SSIA scheme triggered all this off.

That and the fact that consumer credit has been made easier to take out. Sure to get a car loan, I didn't once speak to anybody. It was all online. And i've witnessed people buying things on Hire Purchase, in Currys etc, just for the heck of it. So at then end of the month, when all your money has gone to pay the loans, you turn to the credit card for your groceries, and the vicious cycle begins.
    My motto: If you dont have the cash, hard luck!

bongi69 wrote: »
    That and the fact that consumer credit has been made easier to take out. Sure to get a car loan, I didn't once speak to anybody. It was all online. And i've witnessed people buying things on Hire Purchase, in Currys etc, just for the heck of it. So at then end of the month, when all your money has gone to pay the loans, you turn to the credit card for your groceries, and the vicious cycle begins.
    It's all too easy to get credit, the amount of people I seen this Xmas going for HP was just mad. The whole loan, HP and credit card hand outs are set to change this year.
    bongi69 wrote: »
    My motto: If you dont have the cash, hard luck!
    Very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

This kind of stuff makes me wonder where we're
    going. As someone doing shift-work between
    Ireland and the US, I can see some new and
    negative parallels cropping up, like the seeming
    obsession with acquiring material things. My take
    on this is that we have convinced ourselves,
    via our inflated house market, correspondingly
    increased paychecks and influx of non-nationals,
    that we're 'on the pig's back' -- finally escaping
    the oppressive effects of being broke and
    isolated. Being flush, or feeling like it, gives us
    the chance to escape our scarred identities
    (poor and helpless) and make out that we are
    recovered, only that in our typical way our
    intensity insists that we throw out not just
    the poorness, but the accent, the humility and
    the social concern. That is, the baby with
    the bathwater.

I expect and hope that sanity will prevail
    in the end. There's no reason we can't be
    successful and generally well-off, it'll just
    take time to find a comfortable mid-point.

/0.02

Dudess wrote: »
    What's weird is that they are such a down-to-earth couple and he's not spoilt in any other sense. They are staunch disciplinarians and have manners absolutely drilled into him. And he's a nice kid. It seems he'll turn out ok in other respects but I doubt he'll have ANY concept of the material value of stuff.

If you really feel the need to judge these peoples parenting skills, then I think you'll do well to base it on the above observations.

All the people I see who have no value on money, grew up with next to nothing like the rest of us.

Personally I think it is shows good common sense to build a decent sized bedroom with good storage and easily cleaned washing facilities.
    Five year olds don't stay five forever.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    All the people I see who have no value on money, grew up with next to nothing like the rest of us.
    I was raised durning hard times and my family wasn't well off like others, I for one have a value on money and don't waste it. I worked hard to get where I am today, I'm not rich but have a comfortable life were I make enough money to get by, pay the bills and look after my family and I'm happy at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Peared wrote: »
    Its hard to see how adult life can offer them the same rewards for simply existing.

Social welfare. It's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the ****ing century!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

biko wrote: »
    Around 330 people are valued at €30 million or higher.

Another 2,970 are valued at between €5m and €30m, while 29,700 are worth between €1m and €5m. That means that around 1% of the population hold 20% of Ireland’s wealth.

Never understood we why never tried communism, seemed to work for Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

yea i think dudess is really well of and her mates are verry well off :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Would everyone stop patting themselves on the back!

For god sake, every generation have had it better than the one before. All these "I didn't have a playstation, so I know the value of a euro" statements are such crap. From my experience, the difference between a child being raised well and being raised badly has nothing to do with how wealthy the family is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

amacachi wrote: »

It will come out in it's true form in the future. When corporate capitalism collapses. As an added bonus, a high proportion of the worlds population will no longer starve to death so we can drink cheap coffee and drive nice cars etc.

But yeah, this sh*t certainly doesn't seem to be restricted to rich folks. I was in Smyths Toys before Christmas and there were people with TROLLEY-loads of stuff - piled to the point where there was stuff sliding off.
    Could of been buying for a Santa's grotto, work related kids Xmas party or for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Totally agree, in the school i work in we've brought in a uniform plain tracksuit/polo shirt combo for PE as there was so much competition to have the latest football shirt/nike, adidas tracksuit etc.

I found photos recently of my own school tour (early to mid 90s) and there isn't a branded hoodie/tracksuit/pair of jeans in sight. How things have changed.
    Finished secondary just before they brought in a rule that all jackets must be the same, as people were stealing the "best" jackets. A bit mad.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    do only poor people shop in Smyths? If so,where do rich people buy their toys?
    Heard a rich person once said: some people stay rich because they keep working, others stay rich as they don't pay more than you should.

The Xbox360 will be the same if bought on the High Street or the Low Street, but the price may differ by €10 or €30 and the tenners can approach a few hundred after everything is bought.

For example, if the dude does his bathroom up, and puts down decking, for sweet f**k all, the neighbour, not wanting to be outdone, will get someone in to do the decking, and pay through the nose for it :D

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Would everyone stop patting themselves on the back!

For god sake, every generation have had it better than the one before. All these "I didn't have a playstation, so I know the value of a euro" statements are such crap. From my experience, the difference between a child being raised well and being raised badly has nothing to do with how wealthy the family is.
    No one is patting themselves or saying I'm better than someone else.

I'm not perfect but I'm not stupid with money and obsessed with wanting to have everything I see, be it by means of cash or credit. When I was young I was thought the value of money and have gone onto do the same with my own.
    I agree with what you say that being raised well or good has nothing to do with how wealthy your family is, but if you raise a child in a rich enviroment where he or she gets whatever they want no matter the cost is not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Intothesea wrote: »
    This kind of stuff makes me wonder where we're
    going. As someone doing shift-work between Ireland and the US, I can see some new and negative parallels cropping up
    My own theory is that if you want to see what Ireland will be like in 20 years time then just look at America now.

Some American friends hold me that what is happening in Ireland now is very like what was happening over there in the mid-80's - money was cheap and it was all spend now, worry about it tomorrow.

Then the banks decided the party was over as inflation and interest rates escalated in the late 80's.

People in Ireland now have *massive* amounts of personal debt and that's even before the mortgage or car loan.

I know every generation moans about 'kids today', but I think we really are creating a rod for our backs in the future with the current crop. I was in Blanch the other day and I couldn't believe the number of fat-kids I saw. Every other kid was obese. Forget all that anti-smoking malarkey, the amount of people who will contract diabetes and other weight related diseases will cripple the Health System in the years to come.

I also observed one particular little princess holding onto the rails in Smyths Toy Store as her mother had to practically prise her out of the shop. Good on the mother for holding out you might think, but I overheard her say "the queue is too long! we'll come back in an hour darling".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

My own theory is that if you want to see what Ireland will be like in 20 years time then just look at America now.

Good points well made. I'm inclined to believe/hope
    that Ireland can never rival America in a positive
    or negative sense, for the reason that we cannot
    sustain the attitudes/behaviours of a country that
    is our cultural inverse (not Western values but ethos,
    e.g. America = opportunist, pro-active; Ireland = Cute
    Hoor (negative opportunism), passive).

I accept that fundamental values are being eroded
    by prevailing attitude towards cash. I don't doubt
    that the Health Service will be less effective groaning
    under the weight of reckless drinkers, smokers and
    over-eaters, though I feel it might constitute a lesson
    for us in the way that it doesn't seem to for
    350 million-odd loosely-bound individuals.

These are my thoughts based on imaginative projection
    anyway. I can only hope they're true and speak out
    against the loss in whatever way I can (not unlike
    yourself).

/0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

amacachi wrote: »

Indeed it did,everybody was the same,no poverty,no unemployment,everyone had a house and everyone was miserable:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Me too. We weren't what you'd call rich but we were relatively well-off. However my parents were poor growing up so they were damned if they were gonna give us everything we wanted.

That's the thing. Most actual rich people get that way by spending wisely. Rather than spending on useless crap for the kids, they have tended to invest in them - spending on education/life skills/contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

ixoy wrote: »

They probably got a site free of charge from their parents, like I did. Then you are encouraged by the architect to build as big a house as you can, as extras only cost an extra few thousand, and you think - what's an extra few thousand when you're getting the site free.
    However, I only built a house of adequate size for my needs and that of my children. Only the master bedroom has an en-suite.
    I agree with OP. I was a child of the 70s and 80s, I only ever got one present from Santa, which I appreciated. We got no presents off relations. Most of our clothes were secondhand. Now children gets so many presents from relations as well as Santa, and the house gets swamped with "rubbish" the kids don't appreciate. I'm trying to teach my children the value of money, but it is so difficult when each of my in-laws arrive on Christmas day with sackloads of toys/clothes/novely items. They just open present after present and don't play with any as they're so frustrated. It annoys me, but they (the in-laws) don't agree with KrisKindle or giving the money to a charity of our choice.
    Dudess, what that 5-year-old has is obscene!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

When I have a child - No matter how rich I am I will feed them stale bread and water - If they are lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't think there's a simple equation that if you spoil your kid he's going to turn out to be unappreciative.

I grew up in a family that struggled, I didn't get much as a kid and I STILL I have no appreciation of anything these days! I've place no value on money or possessions and ironically the only things that I've ever been interested in acquiring were a few odd nicknacks lost from my childhood. The money just sits there building up and I couldn't give a sh1t.

So really you never can tell.

Plus you mention that kid was polite and all so there's a good chance he could turn out ok. I'd give any kid of mine a 42 inch tv if it meant he didn't turn into a mouthy little bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I Anyway, the house was newly built and she took us for a tour around it. It was like something out of Cribs but what really struck me was that the five-year-old had a walk-in wardrobe and his own enormous en-suite - and not just any old en-suite, but a wet room! He also had a playroom next to his enormous double bedroom, complete with a flat-screen TV, Sky Plus and a DVD player!
    H

I've had to read this a few times.

I'm not sure what your problem is here, it's a newly built home so I assume they had en-suite/walk in wardrobes in all room's and was built with the child's future in mind and not that the fact that a 5yr old needs a walk in wardrobe.

After that he has a tv and digital TV? oh he'll burn in hell.

You do realise it's 07 and not 87?

This sounds pretty normal for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well.. yeah that's exactly what she's saying. that this has become normal and she's having a bit of a 'wtf' moment about it.

very dutch of you to point out the obvious there.

Mordeth wrote: »
    well.. yeah that's exactly what she's saying. that this has become normal and she's having a bit of a 'wtf' moment about it.

very dutch of you to point out the obvious there.

What I'm trying to figure out is why the WTF moment, what's WRONG with it being normal.

it's a TV...?

It's not like the 5yr old has a property portfolio and a few cars.

Television..it's not all that new....

he's... five

that's just crazy.

Mordeth wrote: »
    he's... five

that's just crazy.

Isn't it free to have multi room viewing?

So they bought him a tv...how is it crazy? I'm sure they got the digital done because they were getting it done apart from that hows it crazy?

• Advertisement

he's a five year old child. he shouldn't have access to sky bloody digital in his room!

well no, i shouldn't say shouldn't :) but still, imo that's pretty ****ing stupid. It's just not something a 5 year old needs, although in the future it could come in handy as a bargaining chip. 'do your chores or you'll see what it's like to stare at your wall all night long'

Advertisement