Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man dies in Garda custody

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    This thread makes the Gards sound like the droogs from A Clockwork Orange (except I am fairly sure they haven't bashed any old women to death with porcelain dildos!).

A woman was killed in a car crash in Offaly this morning. Neither of those cars were in a prsuit or heading towards a crime scene when it happened. Accidents actually happen!

And so does dangerous driving
    which the garda are very fond of in their state sponsored vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

And so does dangerous driving
    which the garda are very fond of in their state sponsored vehicles

I agree. I've seen far too many garda cars racing around without sirens, but we don't know the circumstances yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

another garda complaint post

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheycwgbcwql/

It doesn't say it in this story but it was on the radio report the garda car was not involved in pursuit or heading towards a crime at the time either

And I bet this one will be ever so quietly dealt with by the ombudsman and the driver will never see the dangerous driving causing death charges that are due
    Posted already, but I digress.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Another dead scumbag?

Victory for society tbh.
    Hmm.

what?

where does it say he was a scumbag they could be outstanding warrants for traffic offences or non payments of fines hardly a master criminal and murderer jumping to conclusions are you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where does it say in the news article that the Gardaí were driving dangerously?
    Where does it say that the Gadaí will not be charged?

Jumping to conclusions indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Lugs Brannigan was a proper copper..little bastards were terrified of him!
    http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4620

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And I bet this one will be ever so quietly dealt with by the ombudsman and the driver will never see the dangerous driving causing death charges that are due
    If this kid wasn't hit by a Garda car, it would have barely made the news and it'd all be forgotten. Accidents do happen. I know the stretch of road and the bus stop in question and it's most likely that he suddenly hopped over a steel barrier without looking behind him, into the path of the garda car.

What makes you think that dangerous driving charges are due?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    If this kid wasn't hit by a Garda car, it would have barely made the news and it'd all be forgotten. Accidents do happen. I know the stretch of road and the bus stop in question and it's most likely that he suddenly hopped over a steel barrier without looking behind him, into the path of the garda car.

What makes you think that dangerous driving charges are due?

The fact the garda referred it straight to their ombudsman makes me suspicious of it if this was a standard accident we would have reports of the garda being treated in hospital for stress related injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

First off,wikipedia is definitely not a viable source.Recentlythe Garda page on that site was basically hijacked by Shell-To-Sea protesters..

Also,Robbie,how do you know that the Gards were driving dangerously.What is to say that the fella was drunk,fell out on the road,Gards didn't see him?We do not know yet.

This thread is piling up with hearsay and assumptions and absolute ****e of the highest degree!

OP,we know you don't like the Gards,point taken...so how about you start showing some solid evidence to back up your other points,rather than referencing wikipedia:rolleyes:

The fact the garda referred it straight to their ombudsman makes me suspicious of it if this was a standard accident we would have reports of the garda being treated in hospital for stress related injuries

You see you are a perfect example of a whinger.You whinged about Gardai investigating..Gardai.Now when the Gards hand it over to an independent body...you WHINGE again

That is just the problem,there are people out there who will NEVER be satisfied.

eroo wrote: »
    You see you are a perfect example of a whinger.You whinged about Gardai investigating..Gardai.Now when the Gards hand it over to an independent body...you WHINGE again

That is just the problem,there are people out there who will NEVER be satisfied.

come back with some quotes of me doing that
    and this is an abusive post.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

As far as I know, ALL Garda vehicle accidents go to the Ombudsman. There was one in Castleknock a few weeks ago that had the Ombudsman out to it. I don't think there were any injuries in that accident, just car damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

eroo: Attack the post and not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I wish people would just see that it makes others very annoyed that there is clearly nothing done to certain members when there really should be.

It causes major distrust.

Like now people bringing up this car incident, I don't know the details, other than the fella was mad into Chess who got knocked down. However, I have very often observed police speeding, on phones, using sirens to get through lights etc. Even one time when I was driving back from Mayo I had to swerve into the hard shoulder to avoid an oncoming Garda car which came over a blind hill with sirens blaring, on the wrong side of the road. Even if they were in a hurry is it not their job to do so with the utmost care? I don't know this stretch of Road too well in Tallaght but what was the outcome when that car ploughed into your woman in Ranelagh? Who will disagree that that was careless driving?

Things like this make others feel that theyare a law unto themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why are so many getting so worked up over the Gardai? In any large organisation , ie employing 14,000+ there are bound (unfortunately) to be a few that will let the team down. However for the vast majority of people in this country the Gardai do a fine job and many have a difficult job to do and in some situations that a lot of Posters couldn't handle.

Yeah they make mistakes but they are human and what many fail to consider is that sometimes (but not always) mistakes can/are made in the line of duty, which afterall is to protect society etc etc.

The reality is there are more criminals and asocaite low lifers for society to worry about, and until those statistics change, I think most who come on here mouthing off about the Gardai are nothing more than doing a diservice to the Garda organisation, that is doing it's best to protect and defend.

The whingers for the most part have failed to demonstrate any cognisance of the very diverse daily roles of the Gardai.

PS I'm no Garda and like most have been pissed off to pick up penalty points on the UCD bypass but there are more important things to worry/complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Jay D wrote: »
    However, I have very often observed police speeding, on phones, using sirens to get through lights etc. Even one time when I was driving back from Mayo I had to swerve into the hard shoulder to avoid an oncoming Garda car which came over a blind hill with sirens blaring, on the wrong side of the road. Even if they were in a hurry is it not their job to do so with the utmost care? I don't know this stretch of Road too well in Tallaght but what was the outcome when that car ploughed into your woman in Ranelagh? Who will disagree that that was careless driving?

Things like this make others feel that theyare a law unto themselves.

The gardai are exempt on traffic laws concerning speed, mobile phones and they do use the sirens and lights to get through lights, same as ambulance and fire services!!!

I believe you are referring to the on the north-side Dublin where the woman was at the bus stop. That was investigated and shown to either prove the state or the garage had failed to have the tyres changed as they were barely above the legal limit. The driver was not blamed in the end but was crucified before the investigation began.

The Gardai are not a law onto themselves and that is why we have the ombudsman now.

again if you feel a garda has done anything dangerous or illegal, report it to the ombudsman and they will tell you if your report is valid or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The Terenure Gardai slapped me around before, FOR NO REASON.

I don't come anywhere close to being a scumbag.

I've yet to have a positive experience with the Gardai.

Sad.

Then report it to the Ombudsman...it really is quite simple

Then report it to the Ombudsman...it really is quite simple

This was before the ombudsman unfortunately. I was a teenager at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Ah, all you Southsiders are trouble. Guards know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

dublindude wrote: »
    The Terenure Gardai slapped me around before, FOR NO REASON.

I don't come anywhere close to being a scumbag.

I've yet to have a positive experience with the Gardai.

Sad.

Really, did they pull up in their 'we've nothing better to do' ;) squad car, line ten of ye up againest a wall and go 'ine meanie miney mo, catch an innocent person and slap him around'. Come on pull the other one it plays "fight the power", in my college days I too was picked up by the Terenure Guards thanks to my own drunken stupidity, I got a bollicing (no thumps or slaps just a, do it again and you'll end up in court) next morning after I had sobered up in one of the cells.

As for that other member of the outraged moral majority (sic) Jay D, loosen your novelty baseball cap and let some blood get to your head, scumbags are the people who rob and torture old people in their own homes :mad: so they can buy the crap that your 'saint' of a friend had them hooked on.

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Really, did they pull up in their 'we've nothing better to do' ;) squad car, line ten of ye up againest a wall and go 'ine meanie miney mo, catch an innocent person and slap him around'. Come on pull the other one it plays "fight the power", in my college days I too was picked up by the Terenure Guards thanks to my own drunken stupidity, I got a bollicing (no thumps or slaps just a, do it again and you'll end up in court) next morning after I had sobered up in one of the cells.

:)

OK here's the full story. I was on my way home. A group of scumbags tried to beat me up. I went into Cheeverstown (sp?) and got the security guy to ring the police. The police came, slapped me around (Gardai: What ya doing breaking into houses? Me: WTF?!), and then left me with the scumbags. I got the security guy to call me a taxi and I went home.

100% truth.

• Advertisement

How long was this,do you mind me asking?

How long or long ago?

It lasted about an hour and it was 10 years ago.

10 years!! **** time is flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Another dead scumbag?

Victory for society tbh.

That post is a disgrace and has been reported.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Another dead scumbag?

Victory for society tbh.
    Sleepy: The above post has caused some offence. You wrote it after someone posted a link to a news story about the 19-year-old who died after being hit by a garda car. I don't know whether you were referring to that particular individual or to the man who died in garda custody in Terenure.
    If it's the former, then your post is unacceptable. If it's the latter, I can't find any evidence to suggest he was a scumbag either, so please don't post anything of that nature again. Both young men have families grieving right now - show some compassion and respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

dublindude wrote: »
    :)

OK here's the full story. I was on my way home. A group of scumbags tried to beat me up. I went into Cheeverstown (sp?) and got the security guy to ring the police. The police came, slapped me around (Gardai: What ya doing breaking into houses? Me: WTF?!), and then left me with the scumbags. I got the security guy to call me a taxi and I went home.

100% truth.

Needless to say, I don't believe you. Did you speak to a solicitor? If not, why not? What did the Gardai look like, do you remember? Were they wearing numbers?

Tall tale.

Laslo wrote: »
    Needless to say, I don't believe you.

Surprise, surprise.
    Did you speak to a solicitor? If not, why not?

I was 18. Doing that didn't even cross my mind.

Also, I was coming home from djing (at a pirate radio station) so I was probably worried I would get in trouble.
    What did the Gardai look like, do you remember?

Old guy, in his 50's. His younger partner (30?) was trying to stop him.
    Were they wearing numbers?

I don't remember. I had thought I was going to get beaten up by the bunch of skangers, so when the police did this, I was in shock.

I wasn't injured, although they did rip the rather expensive coat I was wearing.

Note I'm not one of those Garda haters. I do think though there's a lot of scumbags working for the Gardai (I grew up with one of them - total scummer.)

What did he do to you?

Ah just push me around, shake me, slap my chest, that kind of thing.

Nothing serious but an obvious abuse of power. TBH I was more worried about being left alone with the skangers I was trying to get away from!

So he was doing this at the 'scene' and not at the station?Did he hit you directly(either open or closed hand)?One more question,did anything he do actually hurt you or injure you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did he hit you directly(either open or closed hand)?
    slap my chest

Have a go at readin the bleedin post before ye pull the oul' columbo jacket on. :)

Also, how would one go about indirectly hitting someone?

Advertisement