Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you meet your other half?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I always meet guys in smoking areas. It's why I still smoke socially!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭deisemum

I met him on a blind date that a mutual friend organised. We're 20+ years married and my inlaws still haven't forgiven our friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Met him through friends after school one day in 6th year (he went to a different school). I remember the first time I saw him! Three years on, best friends. 6 months ago, finally confessed our feelings and became a couple. I know, took us long enough! Never been happier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

He pulled me out of a car crash :o Fell in love with him instantly :)

I am amazed at how many people met online / dating sites, I reckon that's so so weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

RoverJames wrote: »
    I am amazed at how many people met online / dating sites, I reckon that's so so weird.

A few of my friends met their husbands online,it was actually alot more common than one would imagine.

If you go back a good few years before internet it was pen pals from other countries etc.. people met and got married.

Yeah, I reckon it all stems from an Americad dude I worked with years ago, his wife was Mexican he was from San Francisco. He was a fairly strange fish anyway, on a night out one of the other lads asked him where did he meet his wife, online he says. This was 2002/2003 ish. We all thought it was well weird. Different times I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭deisemum

caseyann wrote: »
    He pulled me out of a car crash :o Fell in love with him instantly :)

Ah that's a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Roverjames
    I'm another one who met my husband online. 3 years married, 1 kid and another one on the way. Yeah it is a bit weird :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Meeting people online is still a massive taboo subject in Ireland. I've made some great friends online, some people who I see/speak to/phone/text etc all the time. Tell Irish people that and they'll collapse with shock(not that I do, I'm all with the taboo and claim to meet them other ways :rolleyes: )

I've two friends in the UK, both 22 and they met at about 16 or 17 on a football forum they finally met up and started dating at 18 and moved in together about a year later, at 20 they had a mortgage and now, 4 years into their relationship they're still blissfully happy. If this was two young Irish people there'd be uproar.

There's one girl in work from oop north who met her hubby via a dating site, she has no problem telling people this, but it sent ripples of shock around work. My reaction was 'fair enough, good luck to you both'. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Have yet to meet my other half! But my last one I met through a friend at a pub.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nearly all of my exes of any significance were through work or mates of mates. Only one I met on a night out. None online so far, beyond some nice brief things. Nothing wrong with it though. Objectively certainly no weirder than meeting a complete stranger half monged outa your head, in a sweaty and loud nightclub. Compared to chatting to someone online and getting some idea of them as people? No contest IMHO.

Actually I did kinda fall in love online way back in the day. We knew each other briefly before, bit of a snoggette, then she emigrated for a year and we stayed in touch, got to know each other in emails and MSN, fell in love and she came back.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

j1974, banned for 7 days.

Don't troll this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bunny&spoon

my last ex and his last ex are brother and sister!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Met mine here on Boards, here in this very forum! :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

my last ex and his last ex are brother and sister!

I read this as your ex boyfriend dated his own sister:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

:| wrote: »
    I read this as your ex boyfriend dated his own sister:confused::confused:

That was what I thought, I think it actually means her ex-boyfriend is the brother of her current boyfriends ex-girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

I met my boyfriend when he was working in a bar on St. Patrick's Day. Everytime I went up to the bar, he'd rush over to get my order even though it was really busy! Then when I was getting a round of drinks late in the afternoon and it was fairly quiet, we got chatting so I knew he was sound. We randomly met in a club that night and we became friends and after a couple of weeks, we got together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 luckyirish

i met mine in a nightclub he was doing security on the door.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 annsie

I too am very suprised at how many people have met online:eek: i don't think it would be something i'd be into though!!?? But then again, week after week out drinking in pubs i never meet anyone! I've got numbers and gone on dates but it's never gone anywhere!
    Im single 4 years now and i honestly don't know what i'm doing wrong...:(
    Im not ugly and im not a cow either!! Everyone tell's me i'd be a great catch:confused: Sometimes i just think men get it so easy these day's so they don't need to bother with making the effort with girls!?
    I think the best way to meet people is through friend's of friend's..... I just need to find some new one's :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

met him in a pub through a friend and was deciding which to vote on when I realised that the poll is actually closed. Duh!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭tough__cookie

Great catch :D I used to get that all the time when I was single a few years ago.

I met my boyfriend at a thai-boxing show. It's great to have the same interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i met mine in a car park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 annsie

And what car park was that!!? Must go there sometime:D
    Why can't that ever happen to me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I met my wife at work. She worked in the Cork office. I was based in the Dublin depot. The first time I walked into the office I fell in love with her and the rest is history...:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I met my wife at work. She worked in the Cork office. I was based in the Dublin depot. The first time I walked into the office I fell in love with her and the rest is history...:)
    Cute, my brother was the same with his fiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I met mine on a pen pal site, Interpals.com. He lives in Galway, I'm from Waterford and we just started chatting...decided to meet up a couple months later and the rest is history, we've been together over a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

deisemum wrote: »
    I met him on a blind date that a mutual friend organised. We're 20+ years married and my inlaws still haven't forgiven our friend ;)

I met mine on a blind date too. The night we met we agreed that we both just wanted to have a bit of fun - a distraction for a while, I had a full-time job, a part-time job, worked in the family business and was going to college by night. - well 3 months later we were engaged!!! We got married 3 years later and now have 2 children - It turned out to be some distraction.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Jeapy wrote: »
    My brothers best friend! :D

Funny that. It was my best friends sister :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ceez

Well....I really need to get myself online more...... ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement