Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Fines - Fake Address

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭emmanuels-baby

i was caught in a similar situation...
    i was coming from dundrum centre after being to the cinema with friends from college...it was late at night (after 11) and i had to get a luas to town and then another bus home...i'd never been on the luas EVER before and was not even sure where the stop was or when the last one left.. eventually i found the stop and as i walked down the steps the luas pulled in...i wasn't taking any chances of getting stuck out in dundrum alone at night so i just got on! inspector got on..i wasn't even nervous when he approached me as my reason was genuine and i offered to pay him the fare(i mean, what difference does it make!?) i was sure he'd sympathize with a young girl traveling home...but he was the most IGNORANT person ever! treated me like a total criminal moron! i'm an educated person, i would never treat anyone(not even an ACTUAL criminal) with the contempt he showed me! i gave him my name but a fake address..i was really, really p****d off about the whole thing! i wouldn't dream of paying the fine! my safety is more important than the 2e or whatever a luas ticket costs! i was worried they would find me despite fake address(just out of curiosity..can they?) but anyway, even if they do, i don't fear anything they wanna throw at me because i know that i did the right thing and the whole matter is entirely trivial! i would argue the toss with anyone who claims i did the wrong thing in the situation i was in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

i was coming from dundrum centre after being to the cinema with friends from college...it was late at night (after 11) and i had to get a luas to town and then another bus home...i'd never been on the luas EVER before and was not even sure where the stop was or when the last one left.. eventually i found the stop and as i walked down the steps the luas pulled in...i wasn't taking any chances of getting stuck out in dundrum alone at night so i just got on! inspector got on..i wasn't even nervous when he approached me as my reason was genuine and i offered to pay him the fare(i mean, what difference does it make!?) i was sure he'd sympathize with a young girl traveling home...but he was the most IGNORANT person ever! treated me like a total criminal moron! i'm an educated person, i would never treat anyone(not even an ACTUAL criminal) with the contempt he showed me! i gave him my name but a fake address..i was really, really p****d off about the whole thing! i wouldn't dream of paying the fine! my safety is more important than the 2e or whatever a luas ticket costs! i was worried they would find me despite fake address(just out of curiosity..can they?) but anyway, even if they do, i don't fear anything they wanna throw at me because i know that i did the right thing and the whole matter is entirely trivial! i would argue the toss with anyone who claims i did the wrong thing in the situation i was in!

If you knowingly got on any public transport without a ticket you run the risk of a fixed standard penalty ticket, no matter how well meaning or innocent you may be. I understand that you are concerned that you are wanting to get home safely but in fairness if you didn't know what time the last LUAS went, why did you go to such lengths to get a LUAS in the first instance? There are signs at all stations displaying the times for the next service so sadly you don't have a leg to stand on this plead.

Mind you, with you self righteous attitude about it, you do deserve to be fined and then some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

i was coming from dundrum centre after being to the cinema with friends from college...it was late at night (after 11) and i had to get a luas to town and then another bus home...i'd never been on the luas EVER before and was not even sure where the stop was or when the last one left.. eventually i found the stop and as i walked down the steps the luas pulled in...i wasn't taking any chances of getting stuck out in dundrum alone at night so i just got on! inspector got on..i wasn't even nervous when he approached me as my reason was genuine and i offered to pay him the fare(i mean, what difference does it make!?) i was sure he'd sympathize with a young girl traveling home...but he was the most IGNORANT person ever! treated me like a total criminal moron! i'm an educated person, i would never treat anyone(not even an ACTUAL criminal) with the contempt he showed me! i gave him my name but a fake address..i was really, really p****d off about the whole thing! i wouldn't dream of paying the fine! my safety is more important than the 2e or whatever a luas ticket costs! i was worried they would find me despite fake address(just out of curiosity..can they?) but anyway, even if they do, i don't fear anything they wanna throw at me because i know that i did the right thing and the whole matter is entirely trivial! i would argue the toss with anyone who claims i did the wrong thing in the situation I was in!
    They would have no trouble catching repeat offenders and if they installed a biometric facial recognition CCTV, a system which is quite possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Absolutely, Dundrum is an extremely deprived area and really dangerous at 11PM. And the fact that there is absolutely no such thing as taxis means that you had to get on that Luas at all costs.

If you get a summons, make sure and tell the judge that you "wouldn't dream of paying the fine, my safety is more important than the 2e or whatever a luas ticket costs".

Somebody has to make a stand against these Luas guys.

Who do the bozos think they are, enforcing legal ticket requirements as part of their jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

They would have no trouble catching repeat offenders and if they installed a biometric facial recognition CCTV, a system which is quite possible.

They claim to use CCTV to take photos of people they suspect are giving fake names and addresses. If this is true, it would be relatively simple to keep an eye out for them and send an inspector along to turf them off or try to arrange for a garda to meet them. It won't help catch the likes of emmanuels-baby but it stops offenders travelling regularly by Luas.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Absolutely, Dundrum is an extremely deprived area and really dangerous at 11PM. And the fact that there is absolutely no such thing as taxis means that you had to get on that Luas at all costs.

If you get a summons, make sure and tell the judge that you "wouldn't dream of paying the fine, my safety is more important than the 2e or whatever a luas ticket costs".

Somebody has to make a stand against these Luas guys.

Who do the bozos think they are, enforcing legal ticket requirements as part of their jobs?

no.1 sarcasm is the LOWEST form of wit
    no.2 i'm a teenage girl, a student, unemployed, i had about 5euro on me at the time so a taxi was not an option.
    no3. don't be so ignorant! are you saying that dundrum can't be a dangerous place at night for a girl alone?? i suppose that violence only exists in "deprived" areas?! is that why primetime reported several attacks on young females in ranelagh only a little while ago? god, and isn't that the former home of the former minister of justice?! SURELY that would be safe! (now look what you've done..lowered me to using sarcasm!) crime and assaults happen anywhere and i'm better safe than sorry! (FYI wacko's are not socially stratified! they're everywhere!!)

i'm not a confrontational person, i get on well with people and i hate nastiness...so i don't enjoy your sarcasm or tone...there's no need for it!

and if i was brought to court, i WOULD tell them exactly that! do they really value 2e more than my safety?! get real!

also, i understand that it is their job, but i also understand that there's a certain thing called "discretion"

lastly, i am in no way supporting people who regularly don't pay for transport or anything! if you use the luas regularly then of course you should pay. obviously I would have payed if it wasn't for the circumstances!

Hamndegger wrote: »
    If you knowingly got on any public transport without a ticket you run the risk of a fixed standard penalty ticket, no matter how well meaning or innocent you may be. I understand that you are concerned that you are wanting to get home safely but in fairness if you didn't know what time the last LUAS went, why did you go to such lengths to get a LUAS in the first instance? There are signs at all stations displaying the times for the next service so sadly you don't have a leg to stand on this plead.

Mind you, with you self righteous attitude about it, you do deserve to be fined and then some.

i wanted to get the luas because i knew it went to town whereas i didn't know anything about the bus service there.
    as for the signs displaying times.. i didn't know that, of course it makes sense now that they would have them, but regardless-what use would it have been for me if i was to miss the LAST luas while reading the timetable?
    i am not trying to be self righteous, i feel i was treated badly for something very trivial! imagine you had a daughter or sister who was raped, and you asked why she was alone at a secluded luas stop, why didn't she just get on with everyone else??? and she said "because i didn't have a ticket?" is it really worth your safety?
    my brother is a garda, i am constantly forced to listen to horror stories about young girls being attacked...i will do anything in my power to ensure the same doesn't happen to me...and i would hope everyone would do the same and not let their safety be governed silly technicalities! does nobody actually agree with me at all?!

i'm a teenage girl, a student, unemployed, i had about 5euro on me at the time so a taxi was not an option.

no3. don't be so ignorant! are you saying that dundrum can't be a dangerous place at night for a girl alone?? i suppose that violence only exists in "deprived" areas?! is that why primetime reported several attacks on young females in ranelagh only a little while ago? god, and isn't that the former home of the minister of justice?! SURELY that would be safe! (now look what you've done..lowered me to using sarcasm!) crime and assaults happen anywhere and i'm better safe than sorry! (FYI wacko's are not socially stratified! they're everywhere!!)

i'm not a confrontational person, i get on well with people and i hate nastiness...so i don't enjoy your sarcasm or tone...there's no need for it!

and if i was brought to court, i WOULD tell them exactly that! do they really value 2e more than my safety?! get real!

also, i understand that it is their job, but i also understand that there's a certain thing called "discretion"

lastly, i am in no way supporting people who regularly don't pay for transport or anything! if you use the luas regularly then of course you should pay. obviously I would have payed if it wasn't for the circumstances!

Without sounding harsh, your safety is your own concern. It's not Veolia's fault that you left a late show alone with no taxi fare or scant idea of how to get home. And I'm sure a judge couldn't care less either.

No matter how valid the reason, you broke the law and got fined (or at least, should have got fined). End of.

I would guess that most of the people here wouldn't really criticize the fact that you broke the law, but rather your defensive and unpleasant attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

When it comes to getting home on my own late at night, I don't wait till I get to the bus or Luas stop to find out what time the last one is. I know it before I leave home. I make it my business to know how I am getting home late at night and act accordingly.

There is no excuse for this.

ah look...forget about it..i feel like i'm in an episode of the twilight zone here.. clearly you are all very organized people... i however, deserve to be locked away for my horrible crime! i'm am truly sorry for causing such offense! but anyone ever caught in my position..just remember, GET ON THE BLOODY THING! don't sacrifice your safety! end of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

i was coming from dundrum centre after being to the cinema with friends from college...it was late at night (after 11) and i had to get a luas to town and then another bus home...

LUAS runs until half twelve except on Sundays. As someone suggested if you knew you were going to be returning late from an area you don't know very well you should have checked out public transport options in advance.

Veolio aren't responsible for you not knowing whether there was another tram coming after the one you jumped on. The displays are pretty obvious and show you the time left until the next few trams. No excuse really. Next time check out what times buses and/or the luas runs until and make sure you give yourself time.

Without sounding harsh, your safety is your own concern. It's not Veolia's fault that you left a late show alone with no taxi fare or scant idea of how to get home. And I'm sure a judge couldn't care less either.

No matter how valid the reason, you broke the law and got fined (or at least, should have got fined). End of.

I would guess that most of the people here wouldn't really criticize the fact that you broke the law, but rather your defensive and unpleasant attitude.

and yes, my safety IS my own concern, which made me choose to look after my OWN safety by getting on the luas! why wouldn't i be defensive!? i have people telling me "you deserve everything you get" with such resentment! genuinely, i know myself that i am a nice honest person. i don't understand the mentality of half the people on boards who just seem to have chips on their shoulder??? what's so funny about peace, love and UNDERSTANDING!???

ah look...forget about it..i feel like i'm in an episode of the twilight zone here.. clearly you are all very organized people... i however, deserve to be locked away for my horrible crime! i'm am truly sorry for causing such offense! but anyone ever caught in my position..just remember, GET ON THE BLOODY THING! don't sacrifice your safety! end of.

Sorry - were you being pursued or something? Was it even the last LUAS you got on. I doubt it.

There's cameras at all LUAS stops, so it's not a high-risk area. You could have checked how long until the next one and made your way back to a more populated area while you waited.

For someone who values her safety highly you don't seem to ensure it by planning ahead at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭markpb

i don't understand the mentality of half the people on boards who just seem to have chips on their shoulder???

I have no problem with you diving on the tram without a ticket, you were alone at night in a place you didn't know and didn't want to leave something to chance. That's perfectly understandable. My problem starts when you decided to supply false details to the inspector. If you had taken the ticket and gone through the appeals process (with Veoila, not with us :D), there's a good chance they would have struck off the fine.

Instead you blatantly lied.

I travel by Luas 10+ times a week and meet the inspectors all the time. I've never seen them be rude or impolite, not to regular customers, not to skivers and not even to a guy who gave one false name and two false addresses before deciding the game was up and told the truth. They're always incredibly polite, compared to IR ticket inspectors and absolutely compared to the ex-army security guards who patrol the German underground stations (who travel in packs of 4 and will happily detain you until the police arrive). If you say he was rude to you, I'm going to suggest maybe you were rude to him to begin with.

what's so funny about peace, love and UNDERSTANDING!???

Elvis Costello always pays his fare.

People aren't out to get you but the fact that you're whinging about getting a fine for jumping on the LUAS when you knew you needed a ticket is not going to win you any support on here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres also a display showing the times of the next three trams, so you could have clearly seen that there were more coming; and tbh, the only Luas stop I'd feel concerned about being at at night would be Belgard - none on the green line thats for sure.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    LUAS runs until half twelve except on Sundays. As someone suggested if you knew you were going to be returning late from an area you don't know very well you should have checked out public transport options in advance.

Veolio aren't responsible for you not knowing whether there was another tram coming after the one you jumped on. The displays are pretty obvious and show you the time left until the next few trams. No excuse really. Next time check out what times buses and/or the luas runs until and make sure you give yourself time.

we were supposed to go to see an earlier film but it was sold out, so we went to the later one...it happens..
    i would've been home by 11 rather than leaving the cinema had things gone the way i'd planned..but they don't always..

and as for "Veolio aren't responsible for you not knowing whether there was another tram coming after the one you jumped on." good to see the day of solidarity for the people is alive and well! i WOULD have GLADLY given veolio the money, i'm sorry i was unable to, but i'm sure they'll survive!

markpb wrote: »
    who patrol the German underground stations (who travel in packs of 4 .

With big dogs. :)

Or at least they did when I lived there.

i wanted to get the luas because i knew it went to town whereas i didn't know anything about the bus service there.
    as for the signs displaying times.. i didn't know that, of course it makes sense now that they would have them, but regardless-what use would it have been for me if i was to miss the LAST luas while reading the timetable?
    i am not trying to be self righteous, i feel i was treated badly for something very trivial! imagine you had a daughter or sister who was raped, and you asked why she was alone at a secluded luas stop, why didn't she just get on with everyone else??? and she said "because i didn't have a ticket?" is it really worth your safety?
    my brother is a garda, i am constantly forced to listen to horror stories about young girls being attacked...i will do anything in my power to ensure the same doesn't happen to me...and i would hope everyone would do the same and not let their safety be governed silly technicalities! does nobody actually agree with me at all?!

Why didn't you check it out times before you got on? Seriously, why didn't you? Given that you seemed to have been a long way from home in the first place? I understand how you may not know about the signs or times as I don't use LUAS often myself (LUAS stops are minimal on the Tallaght line though I gather that they are somewhat better on the Sandyford line that you travelled on) but if you are relying on it to get you home then you do need to check before you travel; same as you would for other modes of public transport.

I appreciate you want to get home safely but you can't excuse your not knowingly not paying your fare on any level. While it is €2, it is akin to stealing €2; these inspectors catch a lot of only €2s every night; on my last LUAS trip I was inspected and it the last run of the evening! You have a lot of sympathy insofar as to caring for your safety and wanting to get home in one piece; you don't get any for willfully traveling for free and even justifying it on the female card. I am sure that other females traveled safely on the LUAS that night and paid their fare. No excuse for you, me dear.

markpb wrote: »
    I have no problem with you diving on the tram without a ticket, you were alone at night in a place you didn't know and didn't want to leave something to chance. That's perfectly understandable. My problem starts when you decided to supply false details to the inspector. If you had taken the ticket and gone through the appeals process (with Veoila, not with us :D), there's a good chance they would have struck off the fine.

Instead you blatantly lied.

I travel by Luas 10+ times a week and meet the inspectors all the time. I've never seen them be rude or impolite, not to regular customers, not to skivers and not even to a guy who gave one false name and two false addresses before deciding the game was up and told the truth. They're always incredibly polite, compared to IR ticket inspectors and absolutely compared to the ex-army security guards who patrol the German underground stations (who travel in packs of 4 and will happily detain you until the police arrive). If you say he was rude to you, I'm going to suggest maybe you were rude to him to begin with.

i was not rude as i had no need to be, i was sure he'd understand my situation...it was he who was very rude to me, and despite what you've said i can assure you he WAS rude! i lied out of sheer surprise! it was only after i'd given my "details" that he told me about the appeals process, but from what i've read on boards, that process doesn't seem to get you anywhere anyway..

• Advertisement

i was not rude as i had no need to be, i was sure he'd understand my situation...

Were you "not rude" in the same fashion as you "reasonably put your case across" here?

If you gave the poor bloke half the spiel you gave here, I'm surprised he didn't call the cops.

Why didn't you check it out times before you got on? Seriously, why didn't you? Given that you seemed to have been a long way from home in the first place? I understand how you may not know about the signs or times as I don't use LUAS often myself (LUAS stops are minimal on the Tallaght line though I gather that they are somewhat better on the Sandyford line that you travelled on) but if you are relying on it to get you home then you do need to check before you travel; same as you would for other modes of public transport.

I appreciate you want to get home safely but you can't excuse your not knowingly not paying your fare on any level. While it is €2, it is akin to stealing €2; these inspectors catch a lot of only €2s every night; on my last LUAS trip I was inspected and it the last run of the evening! You have a lot of sympathy insofar as to caring for your safety and wanting to get home in one piece; you don't get any for willfully traveling for free and even justifying it on the female card. I am sure that other females traveled safely on the LUAS that night and paid their fare. No excuse for you, me dear.

when i was coming down the steps, the luas was pulled up...i didn't know how long they stop for (30 seconds...a minute...2minutes??? i didn't know) i didn't see a timetable, i just saw the safest option and took it..
    i use the "female card" as you call it because whether it's a "card" or not, it is a fact that i am a female and realistically that is a major factor for being at risk! everyone had already gotten on the luas..i did not want to be waiting alone at the stop (which is down some steps and totally secluded) camera's may have been there, but that won't stop someone who's drunk/crazy..
    i had not researched the luas as i should have been out of the cinema much earlier and none of it would have been an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

.........i lied out of sheer surprise! ........

I have some issues with this concept.

This thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere much. Most people seem to agree that dodging fares is bad with a few saying "except when I do it under spectacularly unique circumstances cos I never do it".

Not really enlightening. If nothing substantive appears here in the next 30 minutes, it's going to be closed.

i had not researched the luas as i should have been out of the cinema much earlier and none of it would have been an issue

Research in this case="Excuse me, Mr Cinema Usher, do you know what time the LUAS leaves at?

Calina wrote: »
    I have some issues with this concept.

could you elaborate??
    what i meant was...i lied because i was like "eh, is he actually fining me??? did he not hear what i've just explained?? can he not see that i'm sorry but that i meant no harm and i just want to get home"
    ....."no....ok....well then have this address then"

Research in this case="Excuse me, Mr Cinema Usher, do you know what time the LUAS leaves at?

retrospect is some man isn't he!?

IBTL.

Were you "not rude" in the same fashion as you "reasonably put your case across" here?

If you gave the poor bloke half the spiel you gave here, I'm surprised he didn't call the cops.

haha "cops" ...

i was not rude as i am not a rude person..
    i blush in the face of authority...

IBTL.

yes, yes you are...congrats

• Advertisement

retrospect is some man isn't he!?

Emms, in all fairness you were able to check the cinema times when you headed to Dundrum, you were well able to check the times for the next show after you missed your showings but you were unable to check the times for the bus or LUAS home. If it is sympathy you are after, you won't get it off many of here as you plain don't deserve any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement