Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Fines - Fake Address

Options
  • 19-12-2007 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible for them to get your real address from your passport i.e. the number that they take down from your passport???

Just wondering, as i got caught the other day and gave them fake address but they took some number off my passport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

:mad: would you not just pay you're fare in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭prod_igy

i do every time, but this time i was in rush from heuston to busaras to get a bus and theyre was to big a que at the ticket machine and really needed to make that bus, so i took the chance. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 how are you?

the luas people are w*****s they will do you no matter what.3 of my mates got summons in the door the other day for not haing tickets and fake addresses 2 years ago

im a student and find the luas is too expensive.never pay for a ticket jus try my luck.havnt got caught yet :)

ah no way, so how did they find theyre real address? im a student aswell, and really cant pay that stupid 45 euro fine so thats why i gave him fake address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

prod_igy wrote: »
    so i took the chance. :(

you took the chance and got caught dodging the fare, nobody to blame but yourself, pay it in future

• Advertisement

but my question is, is there any way of them finding your real address after you have given them a fake address? it would help if they had no way, as then i wouldnt have to pay the fine.

They can at least find the address you had the passport posted to when you applied for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

They can at least find the address you had the passport posted to when you applied for it!

A friend's passport was returned to her this way, Garda found it and had it sent back to the address tied to the passport serial no. or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Does anyone know if it is possible for them to get your real address from your passport i.e. the number that they take down from your passport???

Just wondering, as i got caught the other day and gave them fake address but they took some number off my passport.

Your passport number is issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and it is a simple matter of checking your passport number up to see your details, including your name and address. I'd assume that the Gardaí will be able to access details on your passport file, including your address, in no time.

F*** that anyway:(

Think im just gonna pay that fine and get it out of the way.......heard you can get €1000 euro fine and summons or something if they find out you gave wrong address. And i DEFINITLY cant afford that!

Thanks anyway guys for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Bring a fake passprt in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    A friend's passport was returned to her this way, Garda found it and had it sent back to the address tied to the passport serial no. or something.

I was told by a Garda that they destroy any passports returned to them that people find.

Prodigy- pay the fine, just in case. Next time, don't show them your bloody passport or any other ID and give them a fake name too. If they ask you for ID say you lost your wallet with your ticket/money is it that's why you don't have the fare. Pick a fake name and address now so when you're asked you won't blurt the truth or something ridiculous.

Of course you should be paying for your journeys but i'll leave that decision to yourself.

Next time, don't show them your bloody passport or any other ID and give them a fake name too.

Yes i know, i was kicking myself afterwards for giving them my id, but they were threatening to call cops etc, and i really hadnt time so i gave them my passport:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I was told by a Garda that they destroy any passports returned to them that people find.

Twas "lost" after a "gathering" of people in an infamously known area of West Cork, the Gardaí were in..er.. attendence. Basically they tracked her down via the passport;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

the luas people are w*****s they will do you no matter what.

Not if you have a ticket, the only reason they 'do you' is because it is their job.
    3 of my mates got summons in the door the other day for not haing tickets and fake addresses 2 years ago

I'm sure it was worth not paying E2.
    im a student and find the luas is too expensive.never pay for a ticket jus try my luck.havnt got caught yet :)

Walk or get a bicycle.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Pay your fare.

Other people have missed LUAS's because of ticketing system problems or just being in a rush. You are no better than anyone else.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

i do every time, but this time i was in rush from heuston to busaras to get a bus and theyre was to big a que at the ticket machine and really needed to make that bus, so i took the chance. :(

Then miss the bus or get a smart card.

You broke the law and got caught, now you need to pay up.

Personally I think there is far too much fare evasion on the LUAS, I think the €45 fine is too little. I think they should make it €200, then less people would take the chance.

In some countries you have to pay the fine on the spot or they call the police and you get locked up until you can pay the fine, proper order IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

bk wrote: »
    Personally I think there is far too much fare evasion on the LUAS, I think the €45 fine is too little. I think they should make it €200, then less people would take the chance.

only works with serious enforcement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What are you doin giving them your passport in the first place might I ask?

:p

Surely they cant hold you and wait there to confirm identity? Or can they?

(Ive only ever payed for LUAS! I wouldnt know)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Yes i know, i was kicking myself afterwards for giving them my id, but they were threatening to call cops etc, and i really hadnt time so i gave them my passport:(
    Legally they couldn't have held you there if they had called the cops though i think...

• Advertisement

firstly i have just payed the fine online:(

Secondly, some people need to stop being so fuking anal
    bk wrote: »
    Then miss the bus or get a smart card.

You broke the law and got caught, now you need to pay up.

You sound like the type of guy that would send his own mother to jail if he caught her doing 5kph over the limit on a motorway. How hard is it for you to understand that i was in a rush and hadnt time to get the ticket. Honestly now, how many times to you knowingly exceed the speed limit?
    Fieldog wrote: »
    What are you doin giving them your passport in the first place might I ask?

They threatened to call the guards and i had no time for any of that so i gave them passport not thinking about the number on it that they could use:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

zero19 wrote: »
    Legally they couldn't have held you there if they had called the cops though i think...

Well, if anyone has a reasonable suspicion that you have broken the law, they are quite entitled to detain you until the police arrive. Don't see any reason why this wouldn't apply to this situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hard luck, wouldnt want to be paying the fine just before christmas. I was on the luas the other day with out a ticket the inspector hops on first person he asked for a ticket was me. I explained to him the machine hadnt change of a 50 and they have a min. amount you can pay for by lazer card (i dont think thay are allowed do this). He was pretty nice just said get off at the next stop and find a shop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You sound like the type of guy that would send his own mother to jail if he caught her doing 5kph over the limit on a motorway. How hard is it for you to understand that i was in a rush and hadnt time to get the ticket. Honestly now, how many times to you knowingly exceed the speed limit?

Not the same, the I'm in a rush excuse is pure BS. If you walked into a shop and was hungry but there was a big queue and your in a rush, would you steal a mars bar?

You know, Garda, I was in a rush!

I'm sorry, but if your in a rush, then get a smart card or miss the bus and get the next one, it is as simple as that. You didn't pay for your fare, therefore you were stealing from the company that runs the LUAS.

You then compounded your act of theft by trying to avoid the fine when caught and gave a false address.

It is honest people like me, who have to pay higher fares, because people like yourself can't be bothered to pay.

I have zero sympathy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭lynchie

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Your passport number is issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and it is a simple matter of checking your passport number up to see your details, including your name and address. I'd assume that the Gardaí will be able to access details on your passport file, including your address, in no time.

I assume that the gardai cannot just hand over personal details to a private entity / individual without permission from the courts? Would this not breach the data privacy act? I assume that the company running the luas would have to bring it to court etc to get your address?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Well, if anyone has a reasonable suspicion that you have broken the law, they are quite entitled to detain you until the police arrive. Don't see any reason why this wouldn't apply to this situation .

any crime that carries at least 5 years in prison (as a possible sentence).... so not true in this case....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

lynchie wrote: »
    I assume that the gardai cannot just hand over personal details to a private entity / individual without permission from the courts? Would this not breach the data privacy act? I assume that the company running the luas would have to bring it to court etc to get your address?

I don't think it works like that. LUAS will issue you with a timeframe to pay the fine; if you didn't, then a prosecution for fare evasion may follow. Gardaí would check out your details at this stage as part of an investigation and can do it fairly handily nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lynchie wrote: »
    The RPA is a state agency, it is in their name that the prosecution would be brought. That they use any outside party to do the paperwork is largely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Of course they can, they can take down your passport number, then find a matching PPS number which in turn will lead them to your real address.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    Of course they can, they can take down your passport number, then find a matching PPS number which in turn will lead them to your real address.
    Failing that, they have the postal address of where you had the passport sent to when you originally applied for it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement