Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Fines - Fake Address

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

For all those posters claiming to habitually or occasionally dodge fares on the Luas, the question I have to ask is "how many of you would enter a tram or metro in a foreign city and do the same thing, or how many would studiously check the set-up and ensure they had a correct ticket for the trip in question so as to avoid nasty on-the-spot fines etc. ?"

The Luas is probably the only transport service we have that is run and policed like a modern system should be, so why whinge when we fall foul of the rules under which it operates ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

It's better then the system Iarnród Éireann have in place. I'm able to get a free trip from Cherry Orchard to Hazelhatch some days because there is no ticket checkers or ticket machines available to me. At least with Luas there is an oppertunity for me to buy a ticket. They should place more machines in places like Connolly and Heuston for people in a rush, it would save the company more money in the long run. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to roar abuse at people from outside Dublin who make me miss a tram because the feckers haven't a clue how to use modern technology.

I'll ask the original poster one ceist, would you have paid the fare into a luas machine the next day or so and rip up the ticket in payment for what would have been a free trip from Heuston to Bus Áras? I don't think so, because there's no way I'd give IÉ the €4 for my free trips between Cherry Orchard and H'Hatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭prod_igy

bk wrote: »
    Not the same, the I'm in a rush excuse is pure BS. If you walked into a shop and was hungry but there was a big queue and your in a rush, would you steal a mars bar?

I see you havent answered my question, which leads me to believe you have knowingly exceeded the speed limit, which as im sure you know, means you have broken the law. And as about 90% of people who knowingly exceed the speed limit will admit to, it was because they would have been late for work, and they had to be there on time. Now tell me this, which is worse, breaking the speed limit, which can cause deaths, or simply not paying a 2euro fare on the luas?

And comparing what i did to stealing a bar from a shop is ridiculous! Stealing a bar from a shop isnt neccessary when your hungry, you can wait. Not paying the fare for the luas was neccessary, because i couldn't wait!
    I'll ask the original poster one ceist, would you have paid the fare into a luas machine the next day or so and rip up the ticket in payment for what would have been a free trip from Heuston to Bus Áras?

Ehhh, no! And im sure 99% of people here would do the exact same thing.......if someone found 2euro on the ground would they hand it into the nearest shop askin to keep it behind counter till the person who lost it comes into claim it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

prod_igy wrote: »
    And comparing what i did to stealing a bar from a shop is ridiculous! Stealing a bar from a shop isnt neccessary when your hungry, you can wait. Not paying the fare for the luas was neccessary, because i couldn't wait!
    And the next tram is along in a few minutes.
    Ehhh, no! And im sure 99% of people here would do the exact same thing.......if someone found 2euro on the ground would they hand it into the nearest shop askin to keep it behind counter till the person who lost it comes into claim it?
    There is no obligation to return any cash worth less than £5 (€6.35).

Victor wrote: »
    And the next tram is along in a few minutes.

And if i waited for this tram, i would have missed my bus by 5-10 mins, with the next one being an hour later.....wasn't an option im afraid

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I was in a rush into town and because of the LUAS's luddite and utterly crap ticket machines I missed a tram and had to wait in the rain for another one. The 7 minutes was inconvenient but I had to put up with it. Why are you better than me? And how does that excuse you from being called a thief - which you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

You should have left in a timely manner so, if you needed to be in the station for a certain time, so yes there was an action. I'm delighted you got caught, because lol you amazingly enough were in the wrong. Mammy and Daddy will be delighted when the letter comes in the door ah?:rolleyes:

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    You should have left in a timely manner so, if you needed to be in the station for a certain time

I got the train from waterford to heuston, which if it arrived on time would have given me 45mins to make my bus, but alas, it was late and left me with just 15mins to make the bus.
    Red Alert wrote: »
    Why are you better than me?

When did i say i was better than you, i chose an option that some people wouldnt choose (by the looks of things the minority). Some of ye are acting as if ye have the right to throw the first stone, yet none of ye could honestly say they really can. And those of ye that actually can......i'd hate to meet ye in life cause id say ye are the most uptight, anal and arrogant people that the everyone else laughs at.
    BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Mammy and Daddy will be delighted when the letter comes in the door ah?:rolleyes:

Read the thread topic

OK, relax.

For future reference, you can get the Luas add-on ticket at any Irish Rail station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'm always glad when I hear of people who were stealing getting caught.

Luas fares are going up in January. The operation needs revenue and the more people that steal by not buying tickets, the more that honest people have to pay.

• Advertisement

I've only ever had my Luas ticket checked twice, the enforcement (on the Red line anyway) seems to be rather poor.

I never dodged a Luas fare but this evening I managed to get a free DART. The power was out in Clontarf Road so they couldn't issue tickets. When I got to Connolly I explained it; they were aware of the fault and let me through, didn't ask me to buy a ticket or anything! Also happened once with the 78A, when I got on the bus there was tissue paper covering up the autofare machine, the driver just told me to proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Karsini, the opposite happened to me about a fortnight ago on a 4a. I hopped on the bus, threw my 2 euro in and said "Town, please". Then the driver told me the machine was bust, and everyone's getting on fare-free.
    I guess it's making up for the fare-hopping I may have done as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Seems to me that they need to up the fine. The charge is €2 right? So if you have a 1 in 50 chance of getting caught on any given occasion that you don't buy a ticket, the fine should be in excess of €100. This means dodging the fare would no longer be an economically viable strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Hope they fuc you up :)
    and everyone else who does not pay......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

prod_igy wrote: »
    I see you havent answered my question, which leads me to believe you have knowingly exceeded the speed limit, which as im sure you know, means you have broken the law. And as about 90% of people who knowingly exceed the speed limit will admit to, it was because they would have been late for work, and they had to be there on time. Now tell me this, which is worse, breaking the speed limit, which can cause deaths, or simply not paying a 2euro fare on the luas?

The reason why I didn't bother answering that question was I don't own a car, don't have a license and I cycle to work or generally take public transport. So no, I don't ever break the speed limit :p

So what you are telling us is that as well as stealing, you also break the speed limit or at least think it is ok to do so?

It is exactly the same, either way it is theft, in fact as the mars bar is cheaper then a luas ticket, stealing from the luas is actually a bigger deal.

You actually had lots of alternative options.

1) Miss the luas and get the next bus (maybe one or two hours extra wait?).

2) Get a smart card or monthly/annual card so it doesn't happen again.

3) Get the luas add-on when buying your train ticket.

Just because you might be inconvenienced is no excuse for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I might have missed something but how would a luas inspector have a number from your passport? People do not usually carry them around and no one is required to have a passport here in the first place unless they want to travel... or unless of course you are foreign born in which case you will have to have had one to get in to the country.

Karsini wrote: »
    Also happened once with the 78A, when I got on the bus there was tissue paper covering up the autofare machine, the driver just told me to proceed.
    Dublin Bus drivers aren't allowed handle cash, so the usual procedure is to allow people on for free. They used to have a booklet of pre-paid single tickets, but I've not seen them in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

omgg will ye calm down.

The people who are giving out to the op should never ever come on the Motoring forum where people continually look for advice on getting away with speeding fines:eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Would you go into a pub and get a pint telling the barman you couldn't be bothered the wait to pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Well, as regards Dublin Bus, **** them. The day it goes bankrupt is the day I rejoice.

In assisting them towards that, I am bringing back 2,000 Baht (about 50 Euro) worth of 10 Baht coins....they look like 2 Euro coins. Minimum fare, get ticket, and over time, turn that into hard cash, (Euro, thats right)....get a holiday a year out of it, and I'm a happy camper.

And if enough people do that to them, well......its bust. And good riddance. If enough people know about this scam, even better.

On the other hand...Luas, provides a decent service and its a pleasure to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dermo88 wrote: »
    Well, as regards Dublin Bus, **** them. The day it goes bankrupt is the day I rejoice.

How incredibly selfish.
    In assisting them towards that, I am bringing back 2,000 Baht (about 50 Euro) worth of 10 Baht coins....they look like 2 Euro coins. Minimum fare, get ticket, and over time, turn that into hard cash, (Euro, thats right)....get a holiday a year out of it, and I'm a happy camper.

Isn't this fraud? You're getting something without paying for it. Petty, selfish and anti-social would be other words I'd use.
    And if enough people do that to them, well......its bust. And good riddance. If enough people know about this scam, even better.

Yeah great, all that will happen is that the taxpayer and fare paying public will get screwed for what you steal from Dublin Bus, they will not be going bust. A private operator could be a different story. The only people that could possibly benefit would be car commuters.
    On the other hand...Luas, provides a decent service and its a pleasure to use.

That's great, for YOU, but the vast majority of Dublin commuters are not served by Luas and won't be any time soon, either.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Karsini wrote: »
    I've only ever had my Luas ticket checked twice, the enforcement (on the Red line anyway) seems to be rather poor.

Can't agree with you there, I've been checked many times.
    Two people caught today at lunchtime.
    Both women with loads of luggage trying to get from Connolly St to Heuston.
    They argued that they could pay at Heuston as Luas and the train were the same (yes, I know they're not) but the inspector who knows more than me fined them both. So not your typical scumbags who you'd assume who would doing most dodging

I know loads of people who dodge the fare.
    They travel between Connolly to Smithfield sometimes Driminagh at peak hours. They tell me the Luas is so packed that the inspectors won't bother checking tickets at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I was on the Luas last Thursday at 5.30ish pm, absolutely packed (Red line to Tallaght) and tickets were checked. 5 people standing in front of me were all fined for no ticket. I don't use the Luas as frequently as most posters but I 3 out of the last 7 times I've been on it there has been ticket inspections at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

When you're dealing with the law in any case it's always best to cut your losses and come clean because the next round will go even less in your favour!!

If you can't afford the LUAS then don't use it..do what people did before the it was around!!

The most i've ever done was take a child ticket. I was 10cent short for the adult fare in change and had a fifty and a mastercard. The machine would take neither. If I was stopped I wasn't paying any fine, I'd happily pay the difference. Call the guards!

Has this ever happened to anybody,what would my fate be if I was caught!

micmclo wrote: »
    Both women with loads of luggage trying to get from Connolly St to Heuston. They argued that they could pay at Heuston as Luas and the train were the same (yes, I know they're not) but the inspector who knows more than me fined them both.
    They could have paid at Connolly, either at the tram stop or they could have bought their long distance ticket in the Irish Rail ticket office (Connolly or their station of origin) with a Luas add-on.
    So not your typical scumbags who you'd assume who would doing most dodging
    Apparently its mostly middle class types that do a lot of fare evading. Evasion has been higher on the green line than the red line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Victor wrote: »
    Evasion has been higher on the green line than the red line.

I'd say more people are caught on the green line, it doesn't mean evasion is higher. I see inspectors on the green line quite frequently where as people here say they rarely see them on the red line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I'd say more people are caught on the green line, it doesn't mean evasion is higher. I see inspectors on the green line quite frequently where as people here say they rarely see them on the red line.

Not the case, the percentage of people checked to people caught is higher on the green line. Counting raw numbers would have been inaccurate from day one due to the green lines higher traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SteM

paulm17781 wrote: »

I don't travel the green line that much but travel the red line almost every working day and would have my ticket checked at some point 2 out of the 5 days generally. One day it was checked twice - once at the Hospital and once at Blackhorse.

Quite a few times I've seen ticket inspectors come up to scumbags on the red line, see that they were out of it and move along to other check people. The Luas in general doesn't seem like a safe form of transport to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

SteM wrote: »
    Quite a few times I've seen ticket inspectors come up to scumbags on the red line, see that they were out of it and move along to other check people. The Luas in general doesn't seem like a safe form of transport to me.

It's been said here and on P11 many times, we need transport police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

ok, here's one - I ALWAYS pay my fare, but...

One morning while getting on the luas hungover I went to tag on - insufficient credit. Went to machine and applied more credit to my card. Saw the Luas about to pull off and got all confused in my still semi drunken state and forgot to tag back on again. Only realised this when I saw the inspector coming at me a few stops down the line. Thought I'd give my smart card anyway as they rarely used to check them (they always do now) and if he did spot it I would explain my valid excuse. He checked, I tried explaining but he still gave me a ticket, even though he could see I had just put credit on my card.

I appealed (explaining how I had tried to tag on, then applied more credit, and then forgotten to tag on again) as he had suggested and I got a letter back to say I still needed to pay the fine as I had not paid my fare for the trip. I chose to ignore this and never paid the fine. I have since moved house. And I continue to pay my fare every time I get on the luas.

It was an honest mistake and their appeals process means nothing. Unfair if you ask me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement