Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding on Public Transport.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

That's not what you said at all.

I just think it's bizarre. My mothers and my aunts always breastfed in front of the family, and we're not some weird hippy-commune family.

Sorry but typos are funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Dudess wrote: »
    If you're comparing it to jacking off or glugging, then you obviously DO have a problem with breastfeeding in public.

I really genuinly don't though.....which is why I said I don't, why would I say it if it wasn't true? Don't try your mind games on me sweetheart. I just used **** and glugging (never heard that one for spitting before) as extreme examples of natural human functions that make some people uncomfortable. me personally I wouldn't give a crap either if people masturbated on a train, as long as they are discreet and hygenic about it. Don't think i'd put up with the oul glugging though, i think i'd have to draw the line there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

slipss wrote: »
    Don't try your mind games on me sweetheart.
    "Mind games"? "Sweetheart"? A bit uncalled for...

To me, it seemed as if you said the same as so many people who say "so what if it's natural? Taking a dump is natural but you don't do it in public, bla bla bla..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I just used **** and glugging (never heard that one for spitting before) as extreme examples of natural human functions that make some people uncomfortable.

What a ridiculous argument; **** and defecating on trains are natural human functions so it's pretty much the same as breastfeeding a child?! In terms of social utility it should be obvious to even an idiot that the former aren't even on the same page.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

Kemos wrote: »
    What a ridiculous argument; **** and defecating on trains are natural human functions so it's pretty much the same as breastfeeding a child?! In terms of social utility it should be obvious to even an idiot that the former aren't even on the same page.

obviously they are idiots for suggesting its non existant similarity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I just used **** and glugging (never heard that one for spitting before) as extreme examples of natural human functions that make some people uncomfortable...

Your continued breathing is making me uncomfortable. Please stop.

Spitting doesn't go under the category of defecation, I would have reckoned that would be obvious even to an idiot.....maybe i'm wrong, you tell me. I'm presuming your next post is going to go "takes one to know one", I probably won't be here to respond so heres a pre-emptive "nananananana, your rubber I'm glue............."

Dudess wrote: »
    "Mind games"? "Sweetheart"? A bit uncalled for...
    Wasn't meant to offend, can't see why it would, the mind games thing was just a private joke with myself, the sweetheart, I didn't even notice I typed, i always tend to refer to people as babe or bud or sweetheart or kid, just a habit formed by a limited lexicon, slips into my typing aswell as my speach sometimes I guess.

Slow coach wrote: »
    Your continued breathing is making me uncomfortable. Please stop.
    Then I'd die obviously, something to do with little fat red blood cell construction workers carrying bubbles around on thier backs and bringing them where the fella with the big white beard (no not him, the other guy) tells them to, unless French cartoons have been misleading me to further thier own maniacal ends all these years. However if i ever develop the ability to hold my breathe and stay conscious for extraordinary amounts of times, and we happen to be on a train together and you are extremely uncomfortable, I'll wait till i get home to resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Whatever happened to a good ol' bottle of SMA, now that was some nutritional stuff, yum yum!

I think to please all involved somebody should invent womens bras and tops with nipple flaps and put them in some kind of "post-maternity" section in clothes shops!

• Advertisement

Whatever happened to a good ol' bottle of SMA, now that was some nutritional stuff, yum yum!

I think to please all involved somebody should invent womens bras and tops with nipple flaps and put them in some kind of "post-maternity" section in clothes shops!
    Nursing bras, they do exist! Anyway there isn't a great issue with breastfeeding, it's not much different from stuffing a bottle in their mouth*.

Some mothers have it down to a fine art, the babies head disappears behind the jacket etc, no problem.

If anyone has a problen with it - don't stare!!!

*apart fron tha fact it's free, instantly available, no need to steralise them first.

Spitting doesn't go under the category of defecation, I would have reckoned that would be obvious even to an idiot.....maybe i'm wrong, you tell me. I'm presuming your next post is going to go "takes one to know one", I probably won't be here to respond so heres a pre-emptive "nananananana, your rubber I'm glue............."

Oh I didn't appear to read your post carefully enough; I'm dreadfully sorry. I'm sorry for attacking your reputation by suggesting that you mentioned defecation and **** when indeed it was just spitting and ****. I found it hard to remember details from your post after reading it, perhaps because it was a huge pile of idiotic crap?

Find it hard to believe that anyone would seriously suggest that breast feeding a child is similar to **** or spitting simply because they are both bodily functions. Maybe you were just taking the Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Personally I've no problem with breastfeeding in public but some of the arguments coming out for it in the thread are a bit silly. "What was she supposed to do let the baby go hungry?" Well couldn't she fill a bottle with breast milk before leaving the house, problem solved? "Its completely natural so it should be allowed" Well so is having a **** or spitting up a big ball of flem but you wouldn't do them on a packed train now would ya.

Not necessarily, they only hold a certain amount and if baby fed before leaving the house, she could not express as the boobs are empty. ANd on top of that our breastfeeding expert at our clinic told us breastmilk is only good in room temp for 1 hour. Then there is the fact that some breastfed babies do not take to bottles as the sucking is different or they might not like bottles as they feel less of a bond whilst being fed by a bottle as by a boob. Anyways in this day and age we should all know that breastfed is best fed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

well said kill will. BREAST IS BEST.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

She's doing with her knocker what nature intended. Get over it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Yummy Mummys FTW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The Equal Status Act (2000) protects people from discrimination
    and harassment (including sexual harassment) in the use of and
    access to a wide range of services including shops and restaurants.
    Protection for mums breastfeeding in public is provided under two of
    the nine discriminatory grounds covered by the Act - the Gender and
    Family Status grounds.
    • This Act helps mums to breastfeed comfortably in public places by
    protecting them from being discriminated against or harassed
    because they are breastfeeding.
    • Discrimination is less favourable treatment, for example, asking
    someone to leave a premises because they are breastfeeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

People who use the "Why don't they express before they go out argument" need enlightenment on a few of points
    1. The success of expressing is random, so mothers might have tried and not had any joy. Expressing is not an option for some women at all.
    2. Babies are much better at sucking than the most modern pump is at expressing. After pump failure babies can have milk gushing in seconds. So if you don't have to why should you?
    3. Its a drag and no woman would do it so as not to upset the easily upset
    4. Breastfed babies mill through bottles of expressed milk and are not calmed by them as when sucking on mama's tit
    5. Breastfed babies are used to hot milk gushing down their throats. How would a mother heat up the bottle on public transport?
    6. Breastfeeding and sh*ting/w*nking in public are at opposite ends of the Health and Safety rainbow. Bringing them up in the same discussion if beyond ludicrous

So my advice is get over it and cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I find it a bit tough with some of the bumps- hard to get a good grip and a steady stream going. That said, people do give you a bit of room to have your breakfast.

What about some kind of straw like device which can be hooked up to the nipple with some form of temporary non-toxic glue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

Women should be allowed to b-feed anywhere. It is a God given right for a women to feed her child whenever the child needs it. If men can't accept women b-feeding in public that's tough. It's almost evil to say: "oh, you aren't allowed to b-feed here." This is preventing the woman from looking after her child, and the mother knows her child better than anyone, and nobody can tell her how to look after, or, when to feed her child!

Why don't you not just say breastfeeding? ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Karoma wrote: »
    Yes; plenty. Many of these people would probably also think she shouldn't have been on the train in the first place, especially when men are going/coming from work..

At least she hadnt the gall to drive.

it was a huge pile of idiotic crap?

Again with the defecation? Fecal fetish?

Again with the defecation? Fecal fetish?

I love it so much that I am going to read more of your opinions in the future

Advertisement