Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding on Public Transport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Ah yeah breast feeding is ok but i dont like it in public esp not in a restaurant. If your paying to eat why should you have the pleasure of being put off your food. So what if the OP is afraid of being turned on. The breast has its place in sexual stuff and to see a baby on the end of it can be offputting.

The train would be bouncing all over the place she might get some on your shoes.

Anyway im off to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ryoishin wrote: »
    The breast has its place in sexual stuff and to see a baby on the end of it can be offputting.

lol, that's everything wrong with society today in a nice short sentence.

I agree.

Not wrong but offputting none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The breast has its place in sexual stuff and to see a baby on the end of it can be offputting.
    lol, that's everything wrong with society today in a nice short sentence.
    Yep, absolutely! 17-year-old with her tits out on page 3 - ok; using the breast for its intended purpose - not ok.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dudess wrote: »
    Yusing the breast for its intended purpose - not ok.

She wasn't using them to pleasure a man so how was she using them for their intended purpose?:confused:

• Advertisement

I agree.

Not wrong but offputting none the less.
    Think you got the wrong end of the stick...

No No I agree that it sums up whats wrong with the world and that how i feel on the topic is my problem. I dont think breast feeding is wrong i just dont like it/seeing it but thats my problem.

However dont see why the breast cant be viewd as not soley for feeding a child (but at the same time not taking away from that function).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Personally I've no problem with breastfeeding in public but some of the arguments coming out for it in the thread are a bit silly. "What was she supposed to do let the baby go hungry?" Well couldn't she fill a bottle with breast milk before leaving the house, problem solved? "Its completely natural so it should be allowed" Well so is having a **** or spitting up a big ball of flem but you wouldn't do them on a packed train now would ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

slipss wrote: »
    Well couldn't she fill a bottle with breast milk before leaving the house, problem solved?

Why put it in a bottle? It already comes in its own sterile container. The rest of your idiotic post has been addressed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

dont know what all the fuss is here tbh, tits on the train home and he's complaining?

i'm all for tits, infact, tits on every mode of transport i say!

• Advertisement

No No I agree that it sums up whats wrong with the world and that how i feel on the topic is my problem. I dont think breast feeding is wrong i just dont like it/seeing it but thats my problem.

However dont see why the breast cant be viewd as not soley for feeding a child (but at the same time not taking away from that function).
    But YOU said the breast has its place in a sexual context, but you're less comfortable with breastfeeding in public.
    slipss wrote: »
    Personally I've no problem with breastfeeding in public
    If you're comparing it to jacking off or glugging, then you obviously DO have a problem with breastfeeding in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

This thread has reminded me how stupid and annoying a lot of people are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

My wife breastfed our daughter, but was very self concious of doing it in public, as the reaction of ignorant immature people made her feel like she was doing something wrong!

It annoyed me so much ... people should grow up and realise that when a baby wants feeding, a baby needs feeding, regardless of their surroundings!

& for those who'll come back with the argument, why did she not express before she left the house ... why should she ... the baby was breastfed at home, why should it be any different outside the home

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Kemos wrote: »
    This thread has reminded me how stupid and annoying a lot of people are
    Indeed.

It's just a tit. Get over yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

I have to be perfectly honest, I don't like seeing it either, and I'm a woman. I don't know, I don't think it's appropriate to breastfeed on a train, natural or not. It's natural to take a **** too, but there is a time and a place (and it's not in the bread aisle in Tescos on Baggot Street...just saying). She could use a pump at home and feed the baby from a bottle with breast milk -- there are ways of feeding a child with breast milk without a breast coming out.

THAT SAID (before people jump all over me and call me inhuman and immature and all that carry on) I do realize that it is a RIGHT to let a woman breastfeed her child where and when she likes. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean it should be banned -- it means I need to just look away and get over it. You should probably adopt the same attitude.

That's that I was gonna say.
    It's a natural thing and all that, but doesn't mean you can't feel uncomfortable when you see it happening.
    What if it were your sister or ma, would you still feel comfortable? "Go on, give us a look" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

johnp wrote: »
    What if it were your sister or ma, would you still feel comfortable? "Go on, give us a look" :eek:

What? So women shouldn't breastfeed in front of their families either? Get a grip.

What? So women shouldn't breastfeed in front of their families either? Get a grip.

No. What I said was I wouldn't feel comfortable if my sister was breastfeeding in front of me. And she wouldn't either. When she had her kid she'd leave the room to breastfeed.

If you're feel comfortable in that situation, bully for you, not everyone is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Terry wrote: »
    Indeed.

It's just a tit. Get over yourselves.

So can we start posting pictures of topless women on After Hours? Or do they have to be breast feeding?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

No. What I said was I wouldn't feel comfortable if my sister was breastfeeding in front of me. And she wouldn't either. When she had her kid she'd leave the room to breastfeed.
    That's not what you said at all.

I just think it's bizarre. My mothers and my aunts always breastfed in front of the family, and we're not some weird hippy-commune family.

I'd say the OP was thinking about it the whole day before he posted after he seen this ''feeding'' and he is wondering why he got a curious hard on.

I bet you snook a peak at her growler too didn't you? Dirty savage :)

• Advertisement

What if it were your sister or ma, would you still feel comfortable?

If you're feel comfortable in that situation, bully for you, not everyone is.
    That's not what you said at all.

I just think it's bizarre. My mothers and my aunts always breastfed in front of the family, and we're not some weird hippy-commune family.

I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

The kid was about a year old?? That seems a bit old for breastfeeding, so that's weird.
    That kid will be still on the tit when he's 20.

-Leelo- wrote: »

How do you work that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Wild Guess??? :D

It's not normal for a one year old child to still be breast-fed.
    At One they can walk and start to say stuff, where do you draw the line????

I mean I've nothing against breastfeeding in public, I have the cop on to know that babies don't wait until they're in the privacy of their own homes to decide they're hungry. I'm pregnant myself at the moment and hope that if I decide to breastfeed I won't be made to feel ashamed of it if I need to feed my baby in public, but I just don't think it's right for a one year old child to be still getting breast-fed. Personal opinion which I am perfectly entitled to.

Sorry for rambling off-topic there slightly OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

The kid was about a year old?? That seems a bit old for breastfeeding, so that's weird.

The WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months, and then continued breastfeeding 'up to two years or beyond'.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

It's not normal for a one year old child to still be breast-fed.
    At One they can walk and start to say stuff, where do you draw the line????.

this woman can breatfeed her child for as long as she sees fit and one years of age is not too old at all. she is making sure her child is getting full nutritional value for as long as possible. so as long as she keeps producing milk she can keep feeding.

and op roll on in to the 21st century and get a life. well done to this woman for breast feeding it aint easy and she should be supported not perverted on.

That's OK then. :)

But you're basing it on the OP's guess. I'd be careful jumping to conclusions based on their (admitted) cluelessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I can never understand how threads like this come up. How have you guys not seen the likes of this before? I barely even notice breast-feeding because I find it so prevalent.

Really, what if the woman had simply forgotten to fill a bottle with milk for the baby? She was potentially not feeling happy about breast-feeding in public herself, and would some of the objectors here prefer that the child was left crying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

this woman can breatfeed her child for as long as she sees fit and one years of age is not too old at all. she is making sure her child is getting full nutritional value for as long as possible. so as long as she keeps producing milk she can keep feeding.

and op roll on in to the 21st century and get a life. well done to this woman for breast feeding it aint easy and she should be supported not perverted on.

Well as a woman who has breasfed her 3 children and currently still feeding her 15 month old - I'll continue until she does want to feed any more - going on my other 2 it'll be in the next few months - as they get more independent sitting on mammy's knee is a lot less attractive than drinking on the hoof from a cup! Why on earth would I substitute a natural, free milk supply for expensive formula containing any number of additives or cows milks with god knowa how many antibiotics present. I don't breasfeed in public anymore because my daughter is so bloody nosy that i'd spend most of the time with my boob exposed while she stared all around the place. But I've breastfed all three very discretely in any number of places including restaurants, cinema, airoplanes, church and even when being interviewed for TV one day. To the OP you seem to have some pretty strange hang ups about a totally natural process - you'd have had no problem if the women had stuck a bottle in the babies mouth but when she was using the thing nature designed for feeding you go spare..... grow up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

How can anyone have a problem with breastfeeding in public? The hang-ups some people have are just bizzare.

Advertisement