Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Green Tax for motorists - threads merged

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

MadsL wrote: »
    Must say I'm pretty disgusted with the two-tier system. I bought a Smart myself in 03 as I do low mileage, live in the city centre and just wanted a basic commuter car that was low tax and low emissions (green conscience)

The effect of the two tier on me is that now I have to consider if I want to continue to pay an increased rate of motor tax on the 301cc I dont own :D (1000cc rate or less) or buy a new car which I do not want to do.

Come July I'm seriously thinking of exporting and then re-importing and re-regging this car ;) will that work? Or will I just get clobbered on tax (VRT?)

Good tax bands (I support CO2 tax bands) Stupid two tier system.

I agree with you Madsl, people who already made the decision before now to buy an environmentally friendly car end up losing in depreciation and higher tax bills then their july 2008 equivalents, plus they may be forced to buy the same post july 2008 car which added more CO2 emissons from manufacturing process of the car, plus there is now 2 cars on the irish roads putting co2 in the air, when there might have only been one.

I also understand that its unfair to ask a person with a pre july 2008 car to pay double the money for road tax.

Personally think their should be an option for a person with an environmentally friendly car (assuming its got CO2 data available) thats pre-register july 2008 to get motor tax at the same rate as post july 2008 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

blackbox wrote: »
    Prospect, your definition of "green" is different to mine...

Dirty, dirty, smelly Diesel fuel with toxic smoke (carinogenic particulates) - not to mention the slippery deposits on the roads and the smell it puts on my shoes at the filling station.

not for me thanks....

Petrol has the same 'un-green' effects. The only difference is that most of it happens during it refining process. Just cause you don't see it happen....

Anyway, Diesels ar FAR cleaner than you describe. Any modern diesel car is nothing like you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

From doing a little research i have found the following, if anyone thinks any of this is inaccurate id like to know, i may be totally wrong i have had little time to really check any of it properly.

There is no existing database for the co2 output of cars made before 2002. From 2002 the manufacutors had to have the cars tested by a 3rd party and the dealers have to provide this information.

The test which involves two specific tests set by an EU directive takes 19 minutes driving at different speeds etc. If the government wanted to charge motor tax on cars made before 2002 they would need a brand new one to do this test on.

Therefore they will be forced to chage it so that cars registered after next july that were first registered before 2002 haveto still use the old system.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

MadsL wrote: »
    Must say I'm pretty disgusted with the two-tier system. I bought a Smart myself in 03 as I do low mileage, live in the city centre and just wanted a basic commuter car that was low tax and low emissions (green conscience)

The effect of the two tier on me is that now I have to consider if I want to continue to pay an increased rate of motor tax on the 301cc I dont own :D (1000cc rate or less) or buy a new car which I do not want to do.

Come July I'm seriously thinking of exporting and then re-importing and re-regging this car ;) will that work? Or will I just get clobbered on tax (VRT?)

Good tax bands (I support CO2 tax bands) Stupid two tier system.

Ah..but surely you bought that car to save the planet not to save a few quid:D

Your noble act of selflessness is surely be greater than any monetary compensation??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ah..but surely you bought that car to save the planet not to save a few quid

Actually I bought it in Belfast to save a few quid :D

Might have to 'swap' it for a UK car.

Seriously I'll be paying 61% more tax for driving the same car ffs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

rowanh wrote: »

Therefore they will be forced to chage it so that cars registered after next july that were first registered before 2002 haveto still use the old system.

What do you think?

The heck they will ...

...unless you can come up with some official, verifiable data, EU approved and all, I reckon they will just happily F* you over and charge full whack VRT and 2000 Euro road tax on top of it.

And why wouldn't they ...:D

I'd say from July onwards importing an older car is simply out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

But how will they come up with the figures to calculate what the amounts should be? In the uk they use co2 levels for road tax but only for cars made after 2002 because they have no database for the emmissions of cars before. How many different applied model codes are there in total for cars you can tax? They would need a co2 rating for each one.. A lot of work to build the database themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

rowanh wrote: »
    But how will they come up with the figures to calculate what the amounts should be? In the uk they use co2 levels for road tax but only for cars made after 2002 because they have no database for the emmissions of cars before. How many different applied model codes are there in total for cars you can tax? They would need a co2 rating for each one.. A lot of work to build the database themselves..

All these questions are answered in the new sticky

To cut a long story short: on slightly older (pre '01) cars, you have to prove the CO2 emissions yourself with some official document. If you can't the maximum VRT rates (36%) and motor tax (€2,000 per year) are applied

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Im after looking up the ROI site simi to find out my tax hit june

Apparently, a punto would cost around 290 euro a year now. however seeing as it said my initial tax was lower than im paying i dont think this is correct

Im looking to buy a freelander and looked that up... could it possible be right that there is a 400 odd increase !?!!?!, the only freelander they have on there list would be brand new, however i would be looking at a 2004 - 2006 freelander deisel.

Seems a lot !?,.... i know jeeps are going up, but this seems a bit crazy !!

Advertisement