Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Green Tax for motorists - threads merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mike65 wrote: »
    That make no sense if so Stephen.

Mike.

...that'll be the Greens, then :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anything to slow down global warming is a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

@DS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It does say:

The Minister announced that with effect from July 1st next year, there will be a "fundamental change" in the manner in which motor tax is charged for all new cars and imported cars. :confused:

how can that be enforced, Tax only applies to first year? or for cars registered after 1 July??

makes no sense

surely it has to be all cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I don't quite understand "it only applies to new cars"? Does this mean the existing cc-based road tax will stay as it is indefinitely for existing cars, and any new cars reg'd after July will use the new system?
    Surely older cars will eventually use the new system too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Def going bringing in another Civic IMA from the UK... 114g will put it nicely at €100. Can't complain about that.

Just wonder now will I get the €2,500 grant, or part of, announced for hybrids and flexfuels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Is there any website, i wonder, that gives a breakdown of emmisions on all makes and models of cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Riskymove wrote: »
    It does say:

The Minister announced that with effect from July 1st next year, there will be a "fundamental change" in the manner in which motor tax is charged for all new cars and imported cars. :confused:

how can that be enforced, Tax only applies to first year? or for cars registered after 1 July??

makes no sense

surely it has to be all cars?

There will be two tax regimes - one for cars registered after 1 july 08 and one for cars registered prior to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

If other countries follow this it will be good as it will really push the car manufacturers to make cars that give out less emissions.

Good thing i think.

Wont stop the rich but the rich was not who the budget is aiming this at.

Any increase in anything will also cause people to say "wont stop the rich". The percentage of really rich people is small compared to everyone else. If it stops most other people then its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Is there any website, i wonder, that gives a breakdown of emmisions on all makes and models of cars.
    Yeah, Mike has posted several. Use search or google.

• Advertisement

High&Low wrote: »
    There will be two tax regimes - one for cars registered after 1 july 08 and one for cars registered prior to that...

surely this means everyone wanting a large emmission spouting car will just buy them now instaed of after July and we end up with an extra surplus of these which can then be sold second hand and under the current tax system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭sk8board

BMW 520d is 126g,

whereas a Micra 1.2 is 146g

so the beemer is cheaper :o)

will be interesting to see how it effects the HOt Hatch market, or indeed the Mazda RX8 (268g) type cars.

BTW, heres the link I was using for the CO2. Every car is listed.
    http://www.cleangreencars.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Will they make it possible to opt-in to the new system for people with pre-July 08 cars? It'd save me a few hundred a year. Therefore I doubt they will :/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That make no sense if so Stephen.

Mike.

Well ...it does.

If you buy a new car, you have the chance to compare figures, do your calculations and make an informed decision how much tax you're willing/able to pay and buy accordingly.

If you have an existing car, your decision was made based on the existing rates. It would be grossly unfair to change the rules retrospectively.
    Not everybody can afford to just ditch an existing car and buy something greener tomorrow.

Ok ..so there may be few poeple out there that might get a slight tax reduction ...but also an awful lot who'd be hit big time.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Yeah, Mike has posted several. Use search or google.

http://data.carmagazine.co.uk/gbu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Thanks Risky

Stephen wrote: »
    Will they make it possible to opt-in to the new system for people with pre-July 08 cars? It'd save me a few hundred a year. Therefore I doubt they will :/

another good point

people with cars like prius etc have to keep paying higher tax because of two systems??

can't be....surely...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

150 people on motors forum right now mainly looking at this thread I suspect.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭omega man

peasant wrote: »
    Well ...it does.

If you buy a new car, you have the chance to compare figures, do your calculations and make an informed decision how much tax you're willing/able to pay and buy accordingly.

If you have an existing car, your decision was made based on the existing rates. It would be grossly unfair to change the rules retrospectively.
    Not everybody can afford to just ditch an existing car and buy something greener tomorrow.

Ok ..so there may be few poeple out there that might get a slight tax reduction ...but also an awful lot who'd be hit big time.

Good explanation peasant. Hope thats how it will work. Seems fair if you know what financial penalties you will face when making your purchase decision.

sk8board wrote: »
    BMW 520d is 126g,

whereas a Micra 1.2 is 146g

so the beemer is cheaper :o)

will be interesting to see how it effects the HOt Hatch market, or indeed the Mazda RX8 (268g) type cars.

BTW, heres the link I was using for the CO2. Every car is listed.
    http://www.cleangreencars.co.uk/

according to Car Magazine the 520d has 158g so I guess we don't know who has the actual official figures that we can trust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

sk8board wrote: »

It will indeed. The Golf GTI for example is 189g/km, meaning it just about sneaks into the €600 per annum road tax, so much the same as the current system. Another couple of grams, and it would be a grand! I believe the Focus ST and Astra OPC would fall into that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

surely this means everyone wanting a large emmission spouting car will just buy them now instaed of after July and we end up with an extra surplus of these which can then be sold second hand and under the current tax system

Guess so, but you'll still probably have to pay €1,500 in car tax, so not a massive saving.

peasant wrote: »
    Well ...it does.

But this means if I decide to be a good green and buy an environmentally friendly car I have to buy a new one!! What if I can't afford it?

And what if I already saw the light and have a prius?? I don't get to be rewarded?

Fair point peasant.

I love to know how they are going to measure cars as they get older and dirtier. Annual test?

Mike.

High&Low wrote: »
    Guess so, but you'll still probably have to pay €1,500 in car tax, so not a massive saving.

only if over 2.5L

You could get lots of 1.6L upwards which will have signioficant higher tax under system from July, see comments on Golf above for example

and the saving is per annum not just once off, €500 a year cheaper tax is certainly worth doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What if, say in August 2008 I import a 2003 car from the UK - What's the story there? New or old system? It's not a new car, but its been newly imported? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Then I'll buy a Fiat 500 turbo hybrid. :D

You and me both :D

And then drive it for 24/7 at the redline in an attempt to break the world record of CO2 production :D

What if, say in August 2008 I import a 2003 car from the UK - What's the story there? New or old system? It's not a new car, but its been newly imported?

They will use the manufacturers data I presume and charge you at the "new" rates after all you will have made the decision the buy in the knowledge the system has changed.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭sk8board

according to Car Magazine the 520d has 158g so I guess we don't know who has the actual official figures that we can trust?

Thats correct, I've also found the 320d as being 136g.

since 2001 though, all manufacturers must have an independant certificate for all CO2 emissions for all cars sold within the EU.

The key note is that now everyone will be checking just how carbon-friendly their engine is, and I suppose thats the point of this exercise. awareness.

Advertisement