Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Green Tax for motorists - threads merged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

gn3dr wrote: »
    Really. Have you any figures to back that up? Last time I checked road tax in the UK was £150 per year for a car greater than 1600cc. Now compare that to Irish road tax and I think you'll find your statement above is wrong.

Road Tax in Holland is 1075 Euro per year on a 1.9 TDI. Here it works on the Weight of the Vehicle + Engine Type

VRT here is higher as well.

I'll think you find Road Tax is 180 pounds in the UK not 150.

Green Tax was brought in a week ago and their already doing it on Co2 emissions in the UK.. so i dont see how you can think its cheaper.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=85565&Rendition=Web

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

mike65 wrote: »
    They will use the manufactures data I presume and charge you at the "new" rates after all you will have made the desicion the buy in the knowledge the system has changed.

Mike.

It was just an example. My 320d is comign up as 153g - That means my tax would go to under €300 a year. I would be currently be payin gclose to 600eur since the budget increase yesterday.

So I VRT'ed my car 6 months ago - Does that mean i'll stay on the old system, paying almost 600euro a year tax? While my neighbour imports the exact same car (and year) next July, VRT's it and pay's the 'new' tax rate? That would mean he'd be paying about half the tax I do?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Meister

sk8board wrote: »
    Thats correct, I've also found the 320d as being 136g.

since 2001 though, all manufacturers must have an independant certificate for all CO2 emissions for all cars sold within the EU.

The key note is that now everyone will be checking just how carbon-friendly their engine is, and I suppose thats the point of this exercise. awareness.

try the offical UK dept of transport website.
    http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It was just an example. My 320d is comign up as 153g - That means my tax would go to under €300 a year. I would be currently be payin gclose to 600eur since the budget increase yesterday.

So I VRT'ed my car 6 months ago - Does that mean i'll stay on the old system, paying almost 600euro a year tax? While my neighbour imports the exact same car (and year) next July, VRT's it and pay's the 'new' tax rate? That would mean he'd be paying about half the tax I do?! :confused:

Thats what it seems to imply which is why it does not make sense

surely this is encouraging people with relatively new cars to buy new again after July in order to switch to cheaper tax thus increasing the numbers of both new and second hand cars which cannot be environmentally friendly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Well it says "new cars & imports" so that would be regardless of the year it was imported then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The upshot of this will be a collapse in imports of petrol engined cars more than about 4 years old and a rise in diesels of any size and age.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

hottstuff wrote: »
    Well it says "new cars & imports" so that would be regardless of the year it was imported then.

That's what I was thinking, but arent all cars on Irish roads imported? :confused: Or by imported do they mean 'Not first registered in Ireland?' - This makes no sense to me

It certainly has had the desired effect on the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Im at 157g so I drop from €539 to €430, yipee.

got my c02 from here by the way
    http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

craichoe wrote: »
    Road Tax in Holland is 1075 Euro per year on a 1.9 TDI. Here it works on the Weight of the Vehicle + Engine Type

VRT here is higher as well.

I'll think you find Road Tax is 180 pounds in the UK not 150.
    Which is still lower ( by about 3 times for a 1.9) than Ireland.
    Holland also has an exelent public transport system, and the fuel prices are also a lot higher in Holland. This is to encourage the use of internal public transport systems instead of using their precious reclaimed roads.
    So, any other countries that are "a lot more expensive" than Ireland for tax?
    It is also my right as a tax payer to "moan". Just because the Gov. say that it's right and true doesn't mean I have to agree.
    I will say though, that you are right about one thing. Tax will always be with us and it will go up and not down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    You and me both :D

And then drive it for 24/7 at the redline in an attempt to break the world record of CO2 production :D

make that 3. Mmm: group buy, anyone ?? :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Ha it balances it's self out in my house. My wife's car produces 145g/km her tax drops approx €100 and mine produces 180g/km and I'm looking at an increase of approx €100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It will indeed. The Golf GTI for example is 189g/km, meaning it just about sneaks into the €600 per annum road tax, so much the same as the current system. Another couple of grams, and it would be a grand!

Are you sure? The VLC of mine says it's 192g/Km

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Which is still lower ( by about 3 times for a 1.9) than Ireland.
    Holland also has an exelent public transport system, and the fuel prices are also a lot higher in Holland. This is to encourage the use of internal public transport systems instead of using their precious reclaimed roads.
    So, any other countries that are "a lot more expensive" than Ireland for tax?
    It is also my right as a tax payer to "moan". Just because the Gov. say that it's right and true doesn't mean I have to agree.
    I will say though, that you are right about one thing. Tax will always be with us and it will go up and not down.

Diesel is 1.14 a litre at the moment in Holland, Petrol is around 1.45. And Road Tax is just part of it, we have the Annual Green Tax and the Conjestion tax based on what zone you live in. On top of that you have to pay 32 % tax on the low rate and 42% on the high rate with a max of 52% and theres no tax free allowance here either.

P.S. It's only North Holland thats Reclaimed land, the rest of the country, where all the big cities and business are (The Hague, Rotterdam, Utrect, Amsterdam) is not reclaimed.

Taxation in the Fuel would be the fairest system i think.

Although be prepared for another hike next year, Kyoto won't go away and neither will Irelands increasing debt.

I'm not a big advocate of the greens but environment or not, if we don't reduce Co2 emissions we'll be heavily fined.

Or by imported do they mean 'Not first registered in Ireland?' - This makes no sense to me

Yes.
    Looks like ill be buying my first small diesel in 2008 then.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

the cars on this list are looking very attractive now.
    http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/information/how-to-use-the-data-tables.asp#petrol

Aygo, C1, and 107 look like great value.
    VRT on them will go down.
    Motor Tax will go down
    and they always ran on a sniff of petrol.

I don't expect that much discount will be forthcoming from dealer on them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Ireland's head of idiotics has announced this (Taken from the independent.ie)! :eek:

"Environment Minister John Gormley has announced details of a new tax system that will penalise motorists based on their vehicle's carbon emissions.

At the lower end of the scale, cars that emit just 120 grams of carbon per kilometre will be subject to a yearly tax of €100.

At the higher end, cars emitting 225 grams per kilometre will cost their owner €2,000-a-year.

Mr Gormley says the move is designed to encourage people to buy more environmentally friendly cars.""

Yep Ireland will soon resemble Shanghai - with us all all mopeds while the elite classes and those in government drive proper cars !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Are you sure? The VLC of mine says it's 192g/Km

mmm... I noticed that it's also quoted at 192 or 194 on carzone and some other site I checked. But on http://www.cleangreencars.co.uk/ and http://data.carmagazine.co.uk/gbu/, it states 189 g/km and 188 g/km for a DSG car. Also on volkswagen.ie it has it down as 189. So, it's hard to know who has it right?
    EDIT: also states 189 here on the UK official site: http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/search.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

BTW,

How much extra fuel is used, and how much extra CO2 is produced by thousands of cars in crawling traffic all over the country every morning & evening?

You cannot blame the motorist for problems caused by the government and their terrible decisions. (e.g. extending the lease on the westlink toll bridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,146 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Threads merged!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Band A (under 120 grams per km) - €100.
    Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - €150.
    Band C (141-155 grams per km) - € 290.
    Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430.
    Band E (171-190 grams per km) -€ 600.
    Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000.
    Band G, the top band -€2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km.

Hmmm so a few questions.....

So these will definitely be our new road tax rates then yeah??

I assume these are per annum figures? - does any body know if we will have to pay extra should we choose to tax every 3 or 6 months as opposed to yearly???

And as of what date are these new rates put into play??

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Details of the taxation changes on http://www.budget.gov.ie/:

Changes in motor tax (yearly)
    Changes in VRT (at registration of a new/imported car)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

JoeA3 wrote: »
    mmm... I noticed that it's also quoted at 192 or 194 on carzone and some other site I checked. But on http://www.cleangreencars.co.uk/ and http://data.carmagazine.co.uk/gbu/, it states 189 g/km and 188 g/km for a DSG car. Also on volkswagen.ie it has it down as 189. So, it's hard to know who has it right?
    EDIT: also states 189 here on the UK official site: http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/search.asp
    low profile alloys?

different values given for merc e class dependent on rear tyre size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

its stupid increasing tax on every size engine...if they left 1.4 and smaller as they were it would give families etc the choice and many would choose the smaller engine due to the increased saving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭drogbaa

I've just noticed this thread. I'm probably in the minority on this forum, but it's way overdue that cars were taxed on their CO2 emissions. I've some sympathy for the person above who only does 3000 miles a year - and a tax on petrol would also be useful. I think this is a great start (as I potter along in my Punto). I delighted all those g*******es in massive cars driving in the city centre are going to get hit with a big tax bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Riskymove wrote: »
    according to Car Magazine the 520d has 158g so I guess we don't know who has the actual official figures that we can trust?

They're wrong. As is the person who said it does 126 g/km. It does in fact 136 g/km(manual box only, slush box is 149 g/km), enough for a 16% VRT rate and almost a €9k reduction in VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

This government has already precipitated a collapse in house prices, now they are hell bent on doing the same for the second biggest investment we make, our cars -

If this is not only for new cars then as of today - probably half the cars owned by us (judging by another boards thread) are worthless !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

IRLConor wrote: »

what the heck is this?????? I though it was based on Co2 not engine sizes anymore.

For a 1.9 for example it says there will be a 9.5% increase !! (€46) - how do they know this?????? surely not all 1.9 cars have exactly the same Co2 emissions?????

Now im completely confused :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I Hate This Green Shower With A Passion
    Ask These People How Much Warmer The Planet Has Got Since 1998
    2000 Euro My Arse.

A VERY simple solution then: DON'T vote for either Fianna Fail or the Greens at the next or indeed any election.

The Greens came up with the idea, FF approved it, so thats collective responsibly for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

C_Breeze wrote: »
    what the heck is this?????? I though it was based on Co2 not engine sizes anymore.

For a 1.9 for example it says there will be a 9.5% increase !! (€46) - how do they know this?????? surely not all 1.9 cars have exactly the same Co2 emissions?????

Now im completely confused :confused:

those increases are just for the first six months of 2008

the new emmission based rates come in in July

Advertisement