Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Green Tax for motorists - threads merged

Options
  • 06-12-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Did I hear correctly that the looney green party have an extra "carbon" budget today ? And motor tax is gonna be a big part of it ?

I think it was on The Last word yesterday eve !!! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Thats mad, if thats the case. They souuldn't be allowed near a budget of any discription IMHO.
    I aslo heard that one of the "Greens" was cycling into the dail not so long ago, leading by example and all that, and he was being followed by his car and driver?? I wonder is that true??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I think its the details on the new vrt rates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Thats mad, if thats the case. They souuldn't be allowed near a budget of any discription IMHO.
    I aslo heard that one of the "Greens" was cycling into the dail not so long ago, leading by example and all that, and he was being followed by his car and driver?? I wonder is that true??

Was that not David Cameron over in Westminister (leader of Conservatives)?

That's not to say one of our Greens didn't do something similar, gob*****s!

The way I heard it road tax is rising 9-11%, the first time in 4 years. Not a huge issue IMO, given that the VRT changes are broadly positive...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My understanding is that the Carbon Budget isn't an extra financial budget for environmental issues, but an accounting of the nation's emissions that runs in tandem with the budget that was announced yesterday.

The motor tax issue that they'll be taking about in it is a new change (not announced yesterday) that will be made for NEW cars only from 1st July 2008. They'll be taxed based solely on emissions. Existing cars will continue to be taxed under the current system.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1206/budget.html

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Isn't it what every one's been calling for -"the polluter pays"?

But now that it's actually being implemented, they're "loony" and "gob*****s" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

phutyle wrote: »

Isn't it what everyone's been calling for -"the poluter pays"?

But now that it's actually being implemented,they're "loony" and "gob*****s" :rolleyes:

This is not knee jerk I have always bashed the green gobshi*tes

The idea of polluter pays has been around for years - they are simply copying a idea from other countries years after they did it rather than coming up with a proper "polluter pays" approach - like taxing fuel and dumping road tax.

I would have alot more time for the Greens if they showed some real initiative with policies - stopped the "Tax everyone to death" ideas and actually stood up for what they supposedly believe (Rather than hide behind rad tape)

Anyway - sorry to go OT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

RobAMerc wrote: »
    This is not knee jerk I have always bashed the green gobshi*tes

The idea of polluter pays has been around for years - they are simply copying a idea from other countries years after they did it rather than coming up with a proper "polluter pays" approach - like taxing fuel and dumping road tax.

I would have alot more time for the Greens if they showed some real initiative with policies - stopped the "Tax everyone to death" ideas and actually stood up for what they supposedly believe (Rather than hide behind rad tape)

Anyway - sorry to go OT

Would you give me a bloody break, Taxes can and will only go up, they were down 1.8 Billion euro to cover the Budget this year, when Ireland was supposed to have an excess of the same amount.

The Budget is there to cover the countries costs and expenses. The Greens didn't copy this idea. Its a NECESSITY because as a country we will have to pay the fines for CO2 emissions under the Kyoto protocol anyway.

Hence the polluter pays because we signed up to Kyoto in the first place.

Its hilarious when someone says "The Government should pay for it" when its our frikking money in the first place!

P.S. Road tax in Ireland is for nothing. Its MUCH higher everywhere else. Also Ireland is not the only country in the EU that has VRT.

Your going to pay more and more each year for the owning a car, deal with it and stop moaning.

P.S.

Green Tax has just been introduced this year in Holland (a week before Ireland), the tax adds 98,000 euro on to the Purchase price of a Hummer.

Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭blackbox

Polluter pays my ar5e.

I have an older car with a big engine that admittendly emits a fairly high CO2 per km (can't get exact figure), but it only does 3000 km per year. (It's new enough to have a cat)

i.e. this car is penalised but is creating minimal pollution compared to a small car doing 30,000 km.

Anyway most of the energy is expended in making the car, not driving it. If we want to create less pollution we should keep our cars for longer (properly maintained, of course).

However this is logical, so don't expect to hear anything about it from the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kindalen

if they just taxed fuel, and got rid of tax on cars we would not have all those northern drivers buying fuel in the south..... we would all go north.

this would result in a huge hit to gov's take in tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kindalen wrote: »
    if they just taxed fuel, and got rid of tax on cars we would not have all those northern drivers buying fuel in the south..... we would all go north.

yes but its drivers from the North that will be forcing us to pay some of the €270 million in carbon credits. Every litre of petrol sold is counted as 'our' emissions, even if the pollution doesn't actually take place in this country/jurisdiction depending on your political persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

kindalen wrote: »

Yes people would drive from Dublin to North for petrol?:rolleyes:

The tax per litre would not neccesarily be high, certainly not to recoup the average motor tax of a few hundred euro per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭gn3dr

craichoe wrote: »
    P.S. Road tax in Ireland is for nothing. Its MUCH higher everywhere else. Also Ireland is not the only country in the EU that has VRT.

Really. Have you any figures to back that up? Last time I checked road tax in the UK was £150 per year for a car greater than 1600cc. Now compare that to Irish road tax and I think you'll find your statement above is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I drive a 2L diesel "SUV" that does 38.5MPG avg (my calculations not the computer) and it emits about 200g CO2 etc. I bought it second hand.

On the face of it, I drive a gas guzzling SUv yadda yadda...

Truth is:
    It is more econimical than alot of smaller (physical & engine) cars.
    It emits a lot less CO2 than alot of smaller (physical & engine) cars.
    Approx 50% of the total Carbon emissions in a vehicles lifetime are caused during its production, buying used cars is a much greener option.
    I carpool with my wife, so that means you can double my MPG and half my CO2 emissions as it is shared by two people.
    I have an SUV because I tow a caravan and holiday in Ireland and the UK so I don't have to fly.

So, in effect, I would say that my motoring option is the greenest one available to me, and alot greener than many others on the road. But this government and all its predecessors donlt care about usage, or anything else, big engine, big road tax :(

I just cannot figure out why road tax & insurance cannot be pushed onto fuel prices. Keep the emmisions based VRT system, and reduce/eliminate VAT on all active safety features on a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....eeek.....just heard it on the news!

How many car orders are going to get cancelled, now?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This could be interesting. Details?

listening to RTE news even as I type..........more, as they say.......as it happens

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, I thought the highest band was up to about €1500 now, not 2k?

Oh wait:
    Minister Gormley is expected to announce that new cars, from 1 July 2008, will encounter a staggered motor tax, which is solely based on emissions - a further attempt to encourage people to go green.

Applies to new cars only. Bugger. My car has fairly low emissions, could have saved some money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....eeek.....just heard it on the news!

How many car orders are going to get cancelled, now?

Wow 2k, Id love to find out how many car orders are lost.People will start buying smaller engined cars and get them remapped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I Hate This Green Shower With A Passion
    Ask These People How Much Warmer The Planet Has Got Since 1998
    2000 Euro My Arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Band G, the top band - €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km.

Thats my car scrapped then.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Um, this isint gonna stop mega rich people buying big SUV's

And what good is the tax going to do for the enviornment... All that this is going to do is create revenue, as if we arent taxed to the balls already. I need to get out of this country

225g? That's a 1.8t Audi FFS !

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Stephen wrote: »
    Eh, I thought the highest band was up to about €1500 now, not 2k?

Yeah it was announced in the budget yesterday and it will be valid from 1st February 2008. The highest rate will be €1343 + 11% = €1491 for cars 3000cc and more

What are you on about, galwaytt?

Edit: ah I see the article now. Looks like that applies to new cars and cars imported after that date only, Mike. So you and I are safe for now ;)

Gormley is a coward. Too afraid to stand by his own principle of "the polluter pays"

My new car will just sneak into band D by like 3g/km:mad:

It will still be a little cheaper than new 1398cc tax rate so I guess its 6 months tax for now

3g/km less and I'd save €140 a year..interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

The Minister announced that with effect from July 1st next year, there will be a "fundamental change" in the manner in which motor tax is charged for all new cars and imported cars

So any imports after that date will be subject to the new tax rates too - ouch :eek:

Paddy

Luckily my 1.8 Audi is not long for this world and any plans I had to swap the engine is now out the window. I'll tax the car for 12 months in December then scrap it at the end of 2008. Then I'll buy a Fiat 500 turbo hybrid. :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"The clear objective of this new motor tax system is to influence the purchasing decisions of consumers by rewarding the buyers of low-emitting cars and charging a premium on less efficient vehicles," Mr Gormley said.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Looks like you're ok mike, its only applying to new cars apparently.

That make no sense if so Stephen.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My tax would go DOWN to 290eur a year... that's SWEET! But, does this apply to new cars only? So an older (2002) car will still be paying the 'normal' tax (which will be close to 600eur after the 9& hike yesterday)

Advertisement