Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christianity in the modern world.

Options
  • 24-11-2007 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

I apologize to post this rant here, but I really feel this where it belongs.

As time goes on, in modern Ireland, everything seems to be discussed in terms of time absorbed and profit.
    As a doubting Christian, I find myself more and more looking towards the horizon for other ideas as to how and what life should be.
    I think I am officially lost.

Should I, as a Christian respect the teachings of that which has been put before me, or should I follow my heart and look to other places? The church has never offered me answers, nor has it offered places I can search for alternatives.

I have tried to read the bible, but....well.......

When faith is necessary, but the religion in which you search is apparently "questionable", in what direction does one travel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I think there is a lot of truth in christianity. I think the problem is that people are telling others what it's all about. The only way to understand these things is to live. Living your life is where you will find your own truths and you can interpret ancient texts in accordance with your personal experience.

You're not lost, you're just going for a walk through the woods and think you have somewhere to go... but the journey IS the destination.

Good luck.
    AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Archeron wrote: »
    I apologize to post this rant here, but I really feel this where it belongs.

As time goes on, in modern Ireland, everything seems to be discussed in terms of time absorbed and profit.
    As a doubting Christian, I find myself more and more looking towards the horizon for other ideas as to how and what life should be.

Should I, as a Christian respect the teachings of that which has been put before me, or should I follow my heart and look to other places? The church has never offered me answers, nor has it offered places I can search for alternatives.

When faith is necessary, but the religion in which you search is apparently "questionable", in what direction does one travel?

As a matter of interest, do you mean "faith in a god", "faith in a religion", "some form of spirituality", or other (please indicate).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Inward. I believe that Meditation Mom covered this awhile ago. Let me see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Archeron

Scofflaw wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, do you mean "faith in a god", "faith in a religion", "some form of spirituality", or other (please indicate).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I suppose to put it as best I can, faith in something higher than that which we see all around us every day, be that God, religion or spirituality.
    I feel that faith for me is necessary because I have very little of it when it comes to the world around me and the majority of the people in it. While I want to believe that which I have been taught in relation to my own religion, I find increasingly that either I cant, or I dont. I know not really sure which.

Perhaps that makes me some sort of coward who doesn't like to face the potential reality of a world WITHOUT some sort of higher level, I don't know, but the faith into which I was born does not allow one to even look in the other direction, never mind travel in it.
    I ask this question within this forum as I personally feel that some of the wisest words I've read in relation to spiritual matters have come from here.

Asiaprod, thanks for that, I'd be interested to read any threads you can find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

take the plunge, do away withj your religion and learn more about science. It'll fill you with a) more wonder than any god ever could
    b) actual workable knowledge about the world
    c) It builds upon itself, the more you know the more you can know.

you don't need a god to bring wonder into your life, just head into the woods some weekend for an hour or so and listen to the sounds of the trees, birds, animals... *that* is as close as a human can get to a true 'spiritual' experience without chemical assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hmm. It's certainly not necessary to believe in a God to be spiritual. In particular, the idea that atheism must be either arid and intellectual or a self-involved glorying in one's own 'brightness' is completely false.

We do lack the enormous pleasure of submission to a superior force which characterises the Abrahamic religions, but there are paths like Taoism and forms of Buddhism (Asia will correct me if necessary) which involve a form of submission to the flow of life. Further, many of the realisations of Buddhism flow fairly naturally from atheism.

Something which I would consider it vital to realise, though, about atheism, is that it is only the statement "I do not believe in God" - after that, there are no further requirements , and you are free to form your own conclusions.

My own sense of "something larger than everyday life" is based on the following observations, some of which positively add further dimensions, and others of which simply leave space for further dimensions:

1. one thing we know for certain through science is that we have only begun ploughing the surface of knowledge. Most of what there is to know, we don't.

2. despite all the techniques we now have for observing reality, we remain limited to observation. Vision shows us only what is visible of what is real, not reality itself.

Between those two points I find that there is a lot of room for the unknown, and some for the unknowable.

Personally, my own sense of meaning is largely supplied by inverting the idea that human existence in the absence of God is meaningless. I am as 'meaningful' as anything else - stars, galaxies, the whole shebang - and I find that this keeps me adequately supplied with meaningfulness most of the time. Obviously, an enormous ego helps here. Spirituality is largely supplied by the standard Buddhist recognition of the transience of life, and my sense of awe and gratitude comes from the sheer improbability of everything.

To be honest, I find myself slightly at a loss to understand why the idea of God supplies meaning in the first place. Yes, God has a plan for us - so? What makes God's plans particularly meaningful?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

The way I see it is, anyone who is searching is on the right path, at least your not lying awake thinking of paris hilton's new hair cut or britney spears lyrics

Nice post Scofflaw. I specially like
    Hmm. It's certainly not necessary to believe in a God to be spiritual. In particular, the idea that atheism must be either arid and intellectual or a self-involved glorying in one's own 'brightness' is completely false.

and

Something which I would consider it vital to realise, though, about atheism, is that it is only the statement "I do not believe in God" - after that, there are no further requirements , and you are free to form your own conclusions.

Nicely put.
    We do lack the enormous pleasure of submission to a superior force which characterises the Abrahamic religions, but there are paths like Taoism and forms of Buddhism (Asia will correct me if necessary) which involve a form of submission to the flow of life. Further, many of the realisations of Buddhism flow fairly naturally from atheism.
    No correction required, nail on the head. My path would be a submission to the flow of life
    I am as 'meaningful' as anything else - stars, galaxies, the whole shebang - and I find that this keeps me adequately supplied with meaningfulness most of the time.
    Again, nail on the head.
    Spirituality is largely supplied by the standard Buddhist recognition of the transience of life, and my sense of awe and gratitude comes from the sheer improbability of everything.

You really should post here more often, you present a very refreshing outlook.

Archeron, there is a lot of depth in Scofflaw's post. Feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

by Arcgeron - I apologize to post this rant here, but I really feel this where it belongs.

You are not lost. But it sounds like the Irish Christian/Catholic Church has lost YOU. This is an entirely different matter. You are starting to actually find yourself. In other words, you are starting to trust you own judgment, heart, mind etc. Looking towards other religions, science, philosophies and even atheism is going to broaden your horizon of ideas, but even then, you will need to return to what resonates with YOU, to find out what is true.
    by Archeron - Should I, as a Christian respect the teachings of that which has been put before me, or should I follow my heart and look to other places? The church has never offered me answers, nor has it offered places I can search for alternatives.

Don't leave any stone unturned!!!
    by Archeron - I have tried to read the bible, but....well.......

Take a magic marker and highlight every sentence in the bible YOU agree with100%. After you do that, do the same to any other scriptures of other religions you come across. Contemplate the things you have highlighted.
    by Archeron - When faith is necessary, but the religion in which you search is apparently "questionable", in what direction does one travel?

The faith you need is not faith in any religion. That is always what the church wants you to do. The faith you need - and this you can take from Christianity, or me, or many others, is this: "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free!" Trust that, whatever it is you don't understand will be revealed to you, bit by bit, as is best for you. Keep an attitude of trust, love, expectancy, open mindedness and open hearted-ness towards existence, life, the universe, God, yourself. Spend time is nature, in silence. Listen.

Jesus left his church, his faith, and its elders behind also!

Here is one of my favorite quotes:

By Ramana Maharshi: "No one doubts that he exists, though you may doubt the existence of God. If you find out the truth about yourself and discover your own source, this is all that is required." :)

Thank you all for your responses. There is a lot of things I must investigate.
    I imagine I will be back into this forum for advice in the future :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

"No one doubts that he exists, though you may doubt the existence of God....

Could this be interpreted as "If you accept 'God', you may doubt the existance of your self... if you find out the truth about yourself and discover your own source, this is all that is required"? That's how it jumped out at me.

Abandon the ego, embrace the fact that all is one, then you can begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Archeron wrote:

As someone who decided to do this to get a deeper perspective to my faith. I'd say yes definetely make a concious effort to do so.

Jakkass wrote: »
    As someone who decided to do this to get a deeper perspective to my faith. I'd say yes definetely make a concious effort to do so.
    Hi Jakkass and very welcome. This is a peaceful place, I lookforward to your input here:)

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Hi Jakkass and very welcome. This is a peaceful place, I lookforward to your input here:)

Thanks, I look forward to adding to my very limited knowledge on Buddhism.

Hi Beans,

Quote:
    "No one doubts that he exists, though you may doubt the existence of God....
    Could this be interpreted as "If you accept 'God', you may doubt the existance of your self... if you find out the truth about yourself and discover your own source, this is all that is required"? That's how it jumped out at me.

Abandon the ego, embrace the fact that all is one, then you can begin.

This quote does not say to accept God and then doubt one's own existence. Although this could also be an approach. That would be deep faith and surrender of self, which is many people's approach. Embrace the fact that all is one - although true, is still faith, not experience.

Instead, this recommendation means: start where you are. You know you exist. God's existence is not obvious, it is matter of blind faith, trust, surrender, belief etc. This is difficult, and not possible for especially intellectual, scientific minded, seekers who want to know the truth, not just believe in it as it is being passed on to them by the enlightened ones, and then by their less enlightened interpreters.

He says this is OK. Don't struggle with trying to have faith in something you have trouble believing in.

Start with yourself. You exist. Now what does that mean? Get to the bottom of this knowing that you exist. What if you lost your legs in a car accident and two thirds of your body were simply gone? Would you feel only one third of you now existed? The deeper you look, the more you will find that your existence is not at all related to your body, but it is where you have to start looking.

So what is, and where is the source of this existence? Is not the source of your existence the source of all of existence? Where would the separation be?
    And in the end you find, that this source is what is called God - or Nirvana - or Enlightenment - and you are that - and not you. Like the wave realizing it is the ocean.

Your approach would be the wave saying "I believe in the ocean, and I do not exist." It is humble, and it has brought people to self-realization. Maybe it is your path if that is what the statement said to you.

The other approach is - all I know is that I am a wave. But where do I start and where do I end. What becomes of me when I "run my course" crashing on the beach? Deep reflection, looking, relaxing, meditating, trusting - all combine over time to "discover your source". It is not that you exist, it is that you and existence are one. The infinite manifestations of the universe all have the same source - which, I hate to tell you - but - we are in the Buddhist forum here - is no source ;)

"Source" in our minds is a point of origin in time and space. This "source" we are talking about exists beyond time and space - which are illusions of motion of matter.

I know this teacher very well and know from many other sayings of his, how he meant this statement. Nonetheless - I like you idea as well.

Yes, this is a good place to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Hi Beans,

This quote does not say to accept God and then doubt one's own existence. Although this could also be an approach. That would be deep faith and surrender of self, which is many people's approach. Embrace the fact that all is one - although true, is still faith, not experience.

Instead, this recommendation means: start where you are. You know you exist. God's existence is not obvious, it is matter of blind faith, trust, surrender, belief etc. This is difficult, and not possible for especially intellectual, scientific minded, seekers who want to know the truth, not just believe in it as it is being passed on to them by the enlightened ones, and then by their less enlightened interpreters.

He says this is OK. Don't struggle with trying to have faith in something you have trouble believing in.

Start with yourself. You exist. Now what does that mean? Get to the bottom of this knowing that you exist. What if you lost your legs in a car accident and two thirds of your body were simply gone? Would you feel only one third of you now existed? The deeper you look, the more you will find that your existence is not at all related to your body, but it is where you have to start looking.

So what is, and where is the source of this existence? Is not the source of your existence the source of all of existence? Where would the separation be?
    And in the end you find, that this source is what is called God - or Nirvana - or Enlightenment - and you are that - and not you. Like the wave realizing it is the ocean.

Your approach would be the wave saying "I believe in the ocean, and I do not exist." It is humble, and it has brought people to self-realization. Maybe it is your path if that is what the statement said to you.

The other approach is - all I know is that I am a wave. But where do I start and where do I end. What becomes of me when I "run my course" crashing on the beach? Deep reflection, looking, relaxing, meditating, trusting - all combine over time to "discover your source". It is not that you exist, it is that you and existence are one. The infinite manifestations of the universe all have the same source - which, I hate to tell you - but - we are in the Buddhist forum here - is no source ;)

"Source" in our minds is a point of origin in time and space. This "source" we are talking about exists beyond time and space - which are illusions of motion of matter.

I know this teacher very well and know from many other sayings of his, how he meant this statement. Nonetheless - I like you idea as well.

Yes, this is a good place to begin.

As always, a wonderful post from Mom. Thanks. :)

Thank you , pid() - waving at you \ / \ / \ /

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I know this is a forum about Buddhism. I was just reading (I don't know anything about Buddhism tbh) until I came across your post. I'm assuming you come from a catholic background, in that case (not trying to attack any1 here), I know they usually don't give you answers thinking you won't be able to understand them, or mayb they just don't know, can't really say. But I have a question for you, have you ask God to teach you, to answer your questions? or maybe send some1 to you that could guide you, as to where to find those questions? If you haven't maybe you should. And with His help you will be able to understand through His word (the bible).

http://www.bible.ie/

izzyflusky wrote: »
    I know this is a forum about Buddhism. I was just reading (I don't know anything about Buddhism tbh) until I came across your post. I'm assuming you come from a catholic background, in that case (not trying to attack any1 here), I know they usually don't give you answers thinking you won't be able to understand them, or mayb they just don't know, can't really say. But I have a question for you, have you ask God to teach you, to answer your questions? or maybe send some1 to you that could guide you, as to where to find those questions? If you haven't maybe you should. And with His help you will be able to understand through His word (the bible).

http://www.bible.ie/

Thanks for your post izzyflusky.
    Yes, I do come from a Catholic background. At one time, religion was a big thing in my life, and most of the adults around me as a child were quite religious. Over the years, the scandals and the rest turned most of these people off. As a result, I actually became closer to my religion as I hated the idea of a world without religion, or more specifically, a world without belief in a being based on pure good. Over the years, events in my life have happened that led me down the extremely selfish and poorly conceived path of believing that there could not be a God, and therefore to question the basis of my whole faith. Childish I know, but thats just the basic way my mind works.
    In saying that though, I still believe that there has to be a spiritual element to everything, and that is the reason I like to try and keep my mind open. Buddhism is one faith that has always intrigued me, and I get great learning and enjoyment from reading some of the posts up here.
    I have in my prayers asked God to help me learn, and I have prayed for many many hours. Perhaps I do it incorrectly, but I never seem to actually receive any advice in that regard. Unless of course, the advice I receive is to investigate other faiths, in which case I'm really confused :)
    I suppose sometimes its easier to vent on a keyboard to an online forum than to talk about spirituality in your daily life. I still feel that a lot of society in general is quite hostile towards religions or faiths generally, so its good to have a virtual place to learn a little and discuss such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

(If some1 here reading this is a catholic and is offended, I'm not trying that at all. I'm genuinly trying to give advice,or my opinion to Archeon)

Well, I'm not catholic, I'm a new born christian. I find that catholisism is very...religion based I suppose. What I mean by this is that they concentrate is in rituals and traditions rather than in their spiritual life and relationship with God. Like the priest is meant to know a lot about the bible and things but doesn't necessarily answer people's questions or their spiritual growth. Rather than that, he says the same mass every sunday, gives communion and that's it.
    Tbh I would find it hard to keep my interest towards God in that situation too.
    While I was never a catholic, many friends and my boyfriend were. In fact, he used to be an altar boy. He grew outta the whole thing for the reasons I mentioned above. And I can see how it can be frustating. But one thing I'm completely sure of, God is there! and it shouldnt be about "religion", it should be about Him, how he sent his son to die on the cross for you and me, and our relationship with Him.
    If you really want someone to kind of point you at the right direction on where to look in the bible or just talk about this. Someone that knows, because as much as I REALLY want to help you I don't think I have the knowledge. I can give you a phone number where you can call and the questions you have, or just say what you just said here.

PHONE # EDITED, THATS A NO NO. CONECT VIA PM TO PASS ON THAT KIND OF INFO PLS
    ASIA

If you don't really want to call I can give you his e-mail, but you'll have to ask me if you are interested because I have to look for it lol.
    Sorry for not being that much help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Yes, God has a plan for us - so? What makes God's plans particularly meaningful?
    If we believe that God is the ultimate reality and that God is omniscient and He is the Creator of all life, then of course God's plan is the best plan. God is infinite wisdom and love so He knows what our ultimate destiny is supposed to be. God's plan for us is so wonderful that it's, far, far beyond our tiny powers of comprehension.

As a doubting Christian, I find myself more and more looking towards the horizon for other ideas as to how and what life should be. I think I am officially lost.
    Hello Archeron. With respect, I would say that your are lost. I believe that road you're on is very similar to the road I was on about 6 years ago. Back then I swallowed heaps of books on new-age/yoga/toaism/buddhism/krishnamurthi/yogananda etc and thank God my eyes were opened. People will laugh, but there is a loving/personal God who created everything in this universe and there is only one way to reach God and that is via Jesus Christ. Jesus can be thought of as the only bridge between Heaven and earth. Beneath the bridge is a dangerous river full of the traps of false doctrines and sin.

Don't let anyone tell you that sin doesn't exist or that we are reach "enlightenment" by self effort. Sin is real and sin keeps us from God and only the blood of Jesus (God the Son incarnate) can pay the price which satisfies divine justice.
    Should I, as a Christian respect the teachings of that which has been put before me, or should I follow my heart and look to other places?
    Following your own heart is not a good idea because we have two natures which work in opposition. Our lower carnal nature fights against the higher spiritual nature and unfortunately it's all too easy to choose the former. The latter requires a determined will and effort. Buddhism teaches that desire is the cause of all suffering but without good desires, God can't be found. I followed my "heart" and it lead me down the wrong road.
    The church has never offered me answers, nor has it offered places I can search for alternatives.
    I used to believe that too. I thought the Church was either ignorant or was keeping people in the dark. Not so. The (absolute) "Truth" has taught by Jesus Christ and handed down to His apostles and the Church teaches this same truth today. We are not without a compass, the path to Heaven is clearly marked out for us in the Gospels and the teachings of the Church.
    Have you asked the Holy Spirit to give you guidance and understanding?

God bless and a happy new year. I'll pray for you :)

Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

kelly1 wrote: »
    God's plan for us is so wonderful that it's, far, far beyond our tiny powers of comprehension.
    But if his plan is so far beyond our comprehension, how do we know its wonderful? How do we know his plan isn't to breed us as the cosmic equivalent of fish bait? Which I know means we're fecked, so there's hardly a point in worrying about it.

More to the point, is it not more likely that whatever cause (in the widest sense) there is for all this isn't particularly concerned about us. (Which gives me an excuse to, once again, link a Hilaire Belloc story that I like more than a decent person should.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Nice story there Schuhart!

I don't think there is a plan or a goal. It's all a process. And you choose how to flow through it. There is no end goal of enlightenment or being saved or what-have-you. But there may very likely be an end and it's up to us how the end state is.

It's not like one finds god or is enlightened and then says, 'sweet, I won the game, now I can arse around for eternity.'

Also, evolution is doing a good job of keeping the majority on a developing journey. Even though the more fundamental 'objects' are random interacting energy waves. That's a pretty random plan.

As an aside: Why is it that god is separate from you? Are you separate from nature? No way! Especially if you view him to be everywhere and everything and then some.
    This connecting to god through jesus seems to me to be only one of many possible routes to unity with the divine.
    It seems strikingly similar to the hindu method of devotion.
    Or even the esoteric use of your own higher guardian angel to connect with the divine.

All the best.
    AD.

Schuhart wrote: »
    But if his plan is so far beyond our comprehension, how do we know its wonderful? How do we know his plan isn't to breed us as the cosmic equivalent of fish bait? Which I know means we're fecked, so there's hardly a point in worrying about it.
    God's general plan is clearly laid out in the bible. Knowing God's individual plan for each of us requires prayer.

What is beyond our comprehension is the glory of God and the imagination of what life in union with God would be like.

What I sometimes find hard to fathom is why God is good and futhermore infinitely so. Maybe it's just my limited intelligence but I find this question deeply philosophical (metaphysical?). My guess would be that a god who wasn't perfect couldn't be the ultimate reality as he would be self-destructive and a perfect God couldn't change and therby become imperfect. But I digress...

People hold many ideas about God in their minds and hearts, even the idea that he is beyond their comprehension, or that he doesn't exist. Until all those ideas and opinions are dissolved, there is no union. Only union gives certainty.

On this path towards truth - trust, surrender, faith, love, devotion. etc, etc, are all good, if not essential practices, even for the atheist trusting only in his own judgment. Only when faith and devotion, etc, become covers for hate, control, suspicion etc. is there a problem and we get what we have in the world - war, discord, bloodshed.

Scriptures are both helpful - and great distractions. The heart is more reliable and is what Jesus and all the other teachers followed. Most people initially confuse following their heart with following their emotions and all kinds of mayhem results. Nonetheless, only by experimenting, watching, and learning for ourselves can we discover the difference. Ultimately, all paths lead home, because we are already home, and just don't know it. Until we reunite with this truth - completely - we wonder or imagine what or who God is, what his plan is, which scriptures are superior, etc, etc, or whether God exists in the first place. Amazingly enough - there seems to be real benefit in talking to ourselves, as if we were talking to God :D;) :rolleyes: :):):)

Hello MM, I'd like to make few points if I may.

First Jesus is more that a teacher. He is the one and only Son of God and is God the Son. That does not mean that He is separate from God but He is more like a perfect mirror image of His Father. The Son "proceeds" from the Father and is one with the Father. The difference with Jesus is that He has a human body which the Father and the Holy Spirit don't have and this body/humanity is untied with His divinity. Lecture over :)

As regards Jesus telling us to follow our hearts, I would dispute this. Our hearts are not a reliable compass and in fact Jesus said that sin comes from the heart. Why is there so much strife in the world today if we are capable of guiding ourselves to the truth? What we're missing is trust in God. We're too selfish.

On the point that all paths lead to God, again I would strongly disagree. All religions can't be true because they contradict each other. e.g. Jesus taught that He alone can bring salvation. If it is true that we are only apparently separate from God, then why do we need to be saved? The truth is that sin is real and that life is not an illusion. Why would Jesus have died a horrible death on the cross if we could enter the ultimate reality by self effort and reincarnation?? Was He mad? No way!

God bless,
    Noel.

Kelly1, could you please point me to the place in the Bible where Jesus himself says he is the "only" - or only begotten - son of God, the "only" way of salvation, and that sin comes from the heart?

Nonetheless, I would still say that sin comes from the emotions. Otherwise we could not kill in Jesus' name, or leave our children in the dust for a new lover "following our heart". In that sense you are right.

Heart and emotion are the same word in many languages, though, and easily confused. With "heart" I mean that which can go beyond reason or emotion from an inner place of knowing that is one with God. Even to the point of letting yourself be crucified.

To challenge you further since that is what we like to do here :) for fun - How sure are you Jesus said all of the above, and in precisely those words, meaning exactly what you think they mean? How can you be sure you actually understand what he meant with anything he is reported to have said, written down hundreds of years later? What within YOU can tell truth from lies, or divinely inspired scripture by later saints, from church propaganda? Faith is good, but not being able to differentiate truth from lies would not, and got Jesus crucified in the first place, by the faithful of his day.

I don't mean to say "don't have trust in God". Have trust in God, completely, but know that you do not know what God means, and cannot know, even after Jesus tells you in so many words, until you yourself enter the kingdom of God within. This is the birthright of all human beings on this earth, not just the "lucky" ones being born into a Christian religion.

As far as I remember Jesus said we are all children of God, just like him. He said we have to become like little children (the same idea in Buddhism of beginner's mind) to reach the "kingdom within". Children are full of trust, love, faith, innocence, joy - for no reason, no scriptures, nor religions to trust, nor have faith in. It is a quality they have which we also need to have. It does not depend on any religion. Therefore I would say - don't always trust religions, but trust God.

All religions have the same problem. They think they are the only way to God and consider other people's "Gods" just teachers. Christians think they have "the only son of God, and only way to salvation", Jews think they are the "one and only chosen people of God", Muslims think Islam will be the only religion of the whole world, etc,etc. So we all insult each other. Buddhists try not to think ;)

It is when you see that all the religions of the world - at the core - are the same and don't oppose each other that you are at the beginning of understanding any of them.

And, yes, you are right - we are too selfish. The Dalai Lama summed it up best when he said "My religion is Kindness". What a nice short piece of scripture we can all agree on and follow, that all the religions teach. That "religion" will take us to God, with or without any teacher.

As far as Jesus goes, we only need to love him. Do we need a reason? Would you stop loving him if he weren't the only son of God? Would he then not be special enough? Would you not love him if he hadn't been crucified or been raised from the dead according to scripture? Would you stop loving him or his teachings if he were "just" a teacher? Let's not be blind to our need to follow who we perceive as "the most special, the highest, the best,the most enlightened". And the last question - How did so many Jewish people back then recognized him as good as God, and trusted his teachings if not with their hearts? This inner knowing beyond reason, beliefs, tradition or emotion, we all have? That place in us where we are not separate from God.

God bless you, and thank you for my lecture :) Hope you don't take any of this as attacking you or your faithfulness. I think for many good people like you are there is an issue between what faith means in relationship to genuine spiritual inquiry. So I thought I'd throw some questions your way. :)

kelly1 wrote: »
    As regards Jesus telling us to follow our hearts, I would dispute this. Our hearts are not a reliable compass and in fact Jesus said that sin comes from the heart. Why is there so much strife in the world today if we are capable of guiding ourselves to the truth? What we're missing is trust in God. We're too selfish.
    You are raising great questions Kelly1.
    The above really caught my attention.
    In Buddhism, the heart is the seat of all, probably our equivilent to the Christian concept of the Soul. The whole point of Buddhism, is to work on making the heart pure. IMO, the reference you quoted attributed to Jesus only serves to further strengthen this fact. I interpret that quote as basically saying that in order to lead fullfilling and proper lives, one needs to be aware that the key is to work on the Heart. If the heart is not pure, sins, lies, call them what you like, become our normal individual operating environment. Fix the heart, you fix your environment.

Again from Buddhism, you have a choice, you can be influenced or controlled by your environment, or you can be smart and reverse the process, effectivly influencing and controlling ones own environment. As opposed to most of the other major religions, Buddhists are charged with fixing themselves, and not, to off-loading responsibility or seeking intersession to/from external deities.

Buddhism is a self-taught course; pain and suffering applies to;)

In answer to the question you pose.
    If every one was to fix their own heart and environment, if every religion was to accept that every individual already has the tools at their disposal, and the potential within themselves, to lead good productive lives, we might then, have the potential to create total world peace.

Bear in mind Kelly1, though the roads we travel may appear to differ, they may well all lead to the same destination. Membership to any one exclusive club is not a guarantee of a safe or succssesful journey.

Thanks:), a good question, an opportunity for me to learn.

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote: »
    The above really caught my attention.
    In Buddhism, the heart is the seat of all, probably our equivilent to the Christian concept of the Soul. The whole point of Buddhism, is to work on making the heart pure. IMO, the reference you quoted attributed to Jesus only serves to further strengthen this fact. I interpret that quote as basically saying that in order to lead fullfilling and proper lives, one needs to be aware that the key is to work on the Heart. If the heart is not pure, sins, lies, call them what you like, become our normal individual operating environment. Fix the heart, you fix your environment.

Perfect Asiaprod. I'd say that Christianity is indeed about cleansing the heart and through Christ this is to be done. Note the Beatitudes. A heart which has not been cleansed however leads to sinful deeds. Prayer helps restrain us from sinful deeds along with worship. By logically reasoning with this view, prayer and worship are the means by which we cleanse ourselves through Jesus Christ, accepting Him into our lives.
    Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God.

Advertisement