Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 molly29

I'm due to have lasik in the Wellington eye clinic next month. Quite nervous, has anybody had any complications at this clinic?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You'll be fine, it's an excellent clinic with good staff, I had my surgery there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 arbeloa

I had eye laser surgery 8 months ago in Mater Private by Dr. Susan Fitzsimons. I am still suffering with nasty floaters, dry eyes and poor night vision. The floaters are so bad that I am visually impaired with them. My prescription was -6.50 and -6.75. I can't help but feel the whole thing is wrong. We should not be messing around with the delicate structures of the eye. I've got a bad feeling that all eye laser patients will have nasty problems later in life. Remember research papers only have 10-year studies at present. You will not find a 15, 20 or 30 year study on corneal refractive surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

arbeloa wrote: »
    I had eye laser surgery 8 months ago in Mater Private by Dr. Susan Fitzsimons. I am still suffering with nasty floaters, dry eyes and poor night vision. The floaters are so bad that I am visually impaired with them. My prescription was -6.50 and -6.75. I can't help but feel the whole thing is wrong. We should not be messing around with the delicate structures of the eye. I've got a bad feeling that all eye laser patients will have nasty problems later in life. Remember research papers only have 10-year studies at present. You will not find a 15, 20 or 30 year study on corneal refractive surgery.

Sorry to hear that you are having some undesirable after effects arebeloa...however I think the general consensus on the forum is that Laser surgery has been a huge success. It may just depend on your eye type and the clinic itself. Had it done in Laservision and my clinic and several others get great reviews. Forge on prospective Laseree's!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jenny487

God, poor you Arebloa.

It's your worst nightmare..........and there's no way of forecasting it...........it's not like having dry eyes before you go in and then being told that you can't have it done cos you're not suitable. You were told you are suitable I presume? So you've just been extremely unlucky, is that it? Or do you feel there is more to it? What have the Mater told you-is it likely to get better? 8 months-I would've thought it'd have calmed down by now, no? My aunt got it done there, not sure if same doc, but all successful. I'm more myopic than you at -7.50 and am nervous, but changing to Optical Express has helped abate that. Is that you don't promote LS at all now, or just not with the Mater? Thanks for sharing. Jenny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

DingDong wrote: »
    I think it was cause by too much pressure on my eye as I couldn't help but move it when they put the clamp thing on.
    Okay, I actually felt a little sick reading that sentence. I really want to have laser done but I'm pretty squeamish about people being at my eyes so I'm probably a no-hoper. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

arbeloa wrote: »

I had my first eye done 15yrs ago(-12ish) and that was Prk- a more primitive surgery, the next one I'd done 5yrs ago(-10ish)-Lasik in the Wellington Clinic. I wear -1.50 now for watching tv.. I was only brought back to -0.50 or thereabouts originally so after these years, that's not too bad. I too have loads of floaters tho'. They are actually caused by little congealed bits of vitreous fluid in the eye the way bits will form in honey or jam. I've been told by an optician that even thought my vision has been corrected by laser..my eyeball is still that of a short sighted person ie that it's extra long. This leads to more space in the eyeball for fluid so naturally there will be more floaters. Unless you get a huge amount all of a sudden it's doubtful yours have anything to do with the surgery, more to do with the fact that you have a large eyeball. Try and ignore them. I find times when I'm conscious of them they really get to me. When I've a particularly bad batch of them I struggle to see clearly so I may not be able to see someone across the road until they slowly move out of my line of vision. They do settle down and stick to the sides of your eyeball eventually but unfortunately more still appear. I find mine worse some weeks than others..really bad when I'm hungover for some reason and around my time of the month. Might be something to do with dehydration, it mightactually be worth trying to drink plenty of water.
    On your dry eye thing. I've had dry eyes for 20yrs regardless of my surgery..I've carried eyedrops round with me constantly. Since last October I've been using Clarymist or Optrex dry eye sprays..They are absolutely brilliant. My vision is clearer and I've even found my night vision is better since I've used them with less haloing. Try giving them a go.

Hi Posy, it can get to you alright, but I wonder is that something to do with not having left enough time from when the anaesthetic drops were adminsitered, to putting the clamp on? The drops are meant to numb the eye, and heavy the eyelid so that they don't 'want' to move, or so I'm told! I was very squeamish too, years ago and that's why I never even considered it, but talking to the people who've had it done, and Optical E has really helped.

Getting mine done this day week, and from what I understand, the whole idea is that you should be numb before they even go near you. Your eyes see only SOME of what's going on, not all of it, but because they can't feel anything, they can't 'tell' your brain they're hurting. Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!! Convince myself!

Ann22: I've been told by an optician that even thought my vision has been corrected by laser..my eyeball is still that of a short sighted person ie that it's extra long. This leads to more space in the eyeball for fluid so naturally there will be more floaters.

That's interesting. I've large eyeballs; never heard this before. Thanks.

jenny487 wrote: »
    Getting mine done this day week,
    Eeek, good luck! Hope you'll be posting here soon telling everyone how amazing it went! :)

i surely will!!! after i'm better of course!! jenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the eyes are the key top the soul. i sometimes feel that people who underwent the surgery mak look better but their eyes have a dead look about them.
    it's supposed to have an adverse affect on your night vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Soem people I know say its fine. But then later said they had some vision issues with driving at light and lights. Also some color issues. So I not sure I believe the "its fine" comments tbh. I'm sure some genuinely have no issues, some are just not effected, or bothered by any slight issues.

went back to Laservision last Wednesday for my 3 month post-surgery check-up, the surgeon says I now have "6/4 vision" which only about 1 in 4 people apparently have. So my eyesight has gone from needing glasses to being better than most, can't say fairer than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the eyes are the key top the soul. i sometimes feel that people who underwent the surgery mak look better but their eyes have a dead look about them.
    it's supposed to have an adverse affect on your night vision.

:eek:

Regarding night vision, it can depend on the type of surgery you get and also your prescription before hand, the worse it was the longer it takes to get back to normal. Mine is fine (believe me if you want BostonB)and I don't think that when my wife looks into my eyes she thinks I'm dead inside. Easy on the amateur dramatics there.

Jip wrote: »
    :eek:

Regarding night vision, it can depend on the type of surgery you get and also your prescription before hand, the worse it was the longer it takes to get back to normal. Mine is fine (believe me if you want BostonB)and I don't think that when my wife looks into my eye she thinks I'm dead inside. Easy on the amateur dramatics there.

indeed...wouldn't recommend telling someone their eyes look dead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I was told at the consultation that I had night vision issues. I hadn't noticed as my eyes have always been like that so i just thought it was the same for everyone!!! I was told there was a small chance the surgery (lasek) might make it worse but it was more likely to actually make it better. I had the surgery almost a year ago and it did actually improve the night vision a little. I have had no problems at all since the surgery and am really happy with my vision. I was -5 in both eyes beforehand and had glasses for 20 years. Its fantastic not needing them anymore.

What does everyone mean when they refer to 'night vision problems'? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

halos and glare when driving apparently. I don't know how common it is, or how bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Posy wrote: »
    Okay, I actually felt a little sick reading that sentence. I really want to have laser done but I'm pretty squeamish about people being at my eyes so I'm probably a no-hoper. :(
    It sounds worse than it is. The thought of getting it done put me off for a long time and the scare storys. I couldn't be happier with it now. I don't know my comfort not having to put contacts in. I did have problems with glare off lights at night for a few months but that all gone now(squint your eyes up and look at a light gives kinda the same effect). For the few minutes it take to get the job done it well worth any minor discomfort.

not sure if anyone is reading this anymore!! but for what it's worth, had my surgery, wavefront intralase lasik, in Optical Express, newbridge, fri 30 oct 09. very sucessful so far! great team there. would highly recommend them. experiencing what feels like eye muscle discomfort when watching tv or working at computer, i assume that's cos i'm now using eye muscles that never worked before! also a bit of glare/halo on nighttime lights. if this is the worst it gets, i'm doing well. would thoroughly recommend OE. i was -7.50, now i''m better than 20/20!! mad. thanks to all who advised me on this forum.

also, i've contact lenses to offer anyone if they would like them? shame for them to go to waste. i bought them in Specsavers Dun Laoghaire, July 2007. they are in date until sept 2011. i have three UNOPENED boxes, of
    30 lenses brand name Easy Vision, one day, daily disposable lenses, at -7.50 strength, and i have one OPEN, box which contains STERILE, UNOPENED lenses too; the only reason it's open is cos it's the box i was using before surgery. the lense 'pouches' themselves are sterile. can't find an exact picture of them on the net, and they don't seem to sell them anymore in SS, but this link shows that they are the they same as this type, if that helps:

http://www.opticiansonline.ie/specsavers-visionexpress.html

three months supply is worth €90. http://specsavers.ie/contact-lenses/buying-in-store/step3/

this offer is also on weddings online too, so first come first serve!!

jenny

• Advertisement

Glad to hear it all went well for you!! :):) Sooo jealous. :p

I decided to go for a consultation at the Blackrock clinic and despite having a -9 prescription I apparently have nice thick corneas so might be taking the plunge myself soon, eek! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Posy wrote: »
    Glad to hear it all went well for you!! :):) Sooo jealous. :p

I decided to go for a consultation at the Blackrock clinic and despite having a -9 prescription I apparently have nice thick corneas so might be taking the plunge myself soon, eek! :eek:

U can get it at 18 years of age if you have astigmatism?

excellent posy, best of luck to you! i decided not to go to BC cos they're one of the only ones who charge for the 'free' consult, but surely very high standard and that is all that matters. i would advise a second opinion too, just to be on the safe side!

good luck, jenny

Cheers Jenny! Hope your eyes continue to progress well. :)
    I'll post again if I have any laser news.. I try not to think about it too much though in case I wimp out! :o

DR Cowboy- you have to be over 21 in the B.C for any type of laser eye surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Had consultations in Optilase (didn't like 'em) and Optical Express in Ballsbridge (loved 'em), have now signed up, and surgery is planned for 27th November.

Excited and nervous at the same time..... having Intralase Wavefront Lasik done. Will report back when done!.

to posy: do not DARE wimp out girlie! not the most enjoyable 2 minutes you'll ever spend under a laser, but SO worth it!

and arthur G, that's what I had done, things going really well at the moment for me, OE are quite nice, so good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 pauliewallie200

Need an opinion...is it cheaper to get laser eye surgery in the North than in the South please? Any ballparks on costs would be apreciated (going blind fast!):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 goodgirl12

Quick question for you gu.. Does your eyesight have to be stable for a certain length of time before you can get laser done and about how long does it have to be stable?

I've been wearing glasses for 4 years now and my eyesight gets slightly worse every year... Does anyone know how long someones eyesight can keep worsening or could it be another few years??

To paulwallie, i'm not sure! Optical Express was €4,114 for Wavefront Intralase Lasik. They really did their best to get me a good discount, €720! (Lasek is a cheaper surgery). And I don't pay Priv HI either, so I was grateful. Optilase cheaper, cos they don't have the Intralase machine, so, not top notch in my book, that's why I went to OE. So, in short, not sure, never checked out Northern rates. I'm in Wexford, so for check ups, emergencies, so dear and time consuming to travel. Not worth it for me, but maybe if you in Dublin? Easier?

To Goodgirl, ya, you do need a stable prescription, I think for over two years if not more? V important, otherwise you could regress straightaway after surgery. I'm 35, wearing glasses since 7 and strength last increased in July 2007. And even if they say no bother, which I am sure they won't do not get it done, quite unadvisable.

Jenny

• Advertisement

Oh, Goodgirl, wot age are you, wot do you work at and wot is your glasses strength now please? how long are you wearing glasses?

jenny

Advertisement