Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Villa82

most places want to see that you've been wearing your glasses for at least 1 year minimum before they will do it. That was the case with myself. I went for a consult after only wearing glasses for 9 months and he told me to come back after another 6 months. Reason was also that since wearing the glasses without me actually realising myself, my eyes did drop a little bit in strenght over the year from say -1.75 to -2.20 so his reason for waiting 6 months was to see if my eyes had stabalised at that strenght or were gradually dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Villa82

sorry Carroll, not sure why the post came up with all those font messages. Anyway its just over 4k, I think it's 4,193 and thats at the matter private hospital in Dublin. Don't forget you can claim back on your med1 form against that and you get the tax back at your higher rate you pay I believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beni66

and some of them hate the moment they did the surgery.

but most of them like it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Just a quick question regarding laser eye surgery...................I have a lazy left eye and was giving glasses by the optician but I was just wondering is it possible to get laser eye surgery done on a lazy eye?????

Just a quick question regarding laser eye surgery...................I have a lazy left eye and was giving glasses by the optician but I was just wondering is it possible to get laser eye surgery done on a lazy eye?????

in the lazy eye?

• Advertisement

beni66 wrote: »
    in the lazy eye?

ye?

what is your vision acuity in each eye?

beni66 wrote: »
    what is your vision acuity in each eye?

What do you mean like the standard in each??

What do you mean like the standard in each??

I asked what is your vision in each eye, 20/20 , 20/30, 20/200 etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 yourgingerness

Hi there. I'm considering getting laser eye surgery in the next few months. I currently have -2.0 in both eyes and work with computers 8/9 hours constantly perday.

As I live in Galway I'm considering going to the Western Eye Clinic in Galway - the surgeon there is Frank Kinsella. Anyone gone through with the procedure in Galway (with or without this particular surgeon); are you pleased with the results and service there?

The quote i got is a bit higher than elsewhere but I think this is something I should splash out on if the quality of service is worth it at the clinic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭clones1980

Hi Yourgingerness. I got laser done about two years.

I had -2 in both eyes as well. I know its not what ur asking as i got it done in the WEllington CLinic in Dublin. But you would be an excellent candidate for monovision.

They told me to try monovision first. IT means they only do laser on ur stronger eye and ur other eye learns to adjust. What this effectively means is that you will never NEVER need glasses again.

Anyone with 20/20 vision now, well from the age of 42 on will start to need reading glasses, but -2 apparently is the perfect perscription to never need reading glasses.

Just something worth thinking about plus its only half the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Are there any statistics available in Ireland as to the average age and the male/female breakdown of people who have eye laser done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I had Lasek (uncomfortable procedure and for a few weeks after I thought) done a few months ago, I could have wore glasses for the rest of my life if I chose to, but I took the risk and it turned out great and was worth it. :)
    I went to Optical Express Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 David03

I, too went to 'Optical Express'. Wouldn't reccommend them though. Great during my initial consultation but they're not interested in your well being after the op. I had a few problems and they didn't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

Hi there. I'm considering getting laser eye surgery in the next few months. I currently have -2.0 in both eyes and work with computers 8/9 hours constantly perday.

As I live in Galway I'm considering going to the Western Eye Clinic in Galway - the surgeon there is Frank Kinsella. Anyone gone through with the procedure in Galway (with or without this particular surgeon); are you pleased with the results and service there?

The quote i got is a bit higher than elsewhere but I think this is something I should splash out on if the quality of service is worth it at the clinic.

They are the rudest people I have ever had to deal with. Wasted €250 for the pre op consultation. I was hours waiting to be seen & assessed & treated like s **t by the lady there on reception anytime I called.

I had my eyes done a few days ago at the Lumivision laser eye clinic in Dublin & they were so much nicer & it wasn't like a conveyor belt of people queuing & delays with the amounts of people working there falling over their charts.

The surgeon Dr. Jain was the surgeon in Optilase for years & Vision Express too in Scotland I think. Very nice , to the point & not completely overpriced. (he gives €1000 off for those with health insurance)

I have a heard a few bad things from an optician in Galway also about the Galway Clinic.

My eyes are almost 20:20 now & I swear I could cry with happiness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bustybabe

im looking to get it done and have lots of issues as , is it safe and are there any negative stories .the sites only give good stories and have spoken to one girl who praises optilase .price for me is an issue and i dont see the point in paying 2500 euro in blackrock when i can go to the city centre for 595 per eye.whats the story on after care do they charge extra and as a short sighted person (i think thats right as i cant see things far away , i need glasses even for the tv )are the results as instant or does it take days to show the results.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

bustybabe wrote: »
    im looking to get it done and have lots of issues as , is it safe and are there any negative stories .the sites only give good stories and have spoken to one girl who praises optilase .price for me is an issue and i dont see the point in paying 2500 euro in blackrock when i can go to the city centre for 595 per eye.whats the story on after care do they charge extra and as a short sighted person (i think thats right as i cant see things far away , i need glasses even for the tv )are the results as instant or does it take days to show the results.?

The 595 per eye as advertised by Optical Express is the verybasic surgery. I had the surgery done with Optical Express and they will recommend you do the more expensive surgery as it uses new better technologies. I ended up paying 2500,plus I should get 500 tax back at the end of the year.

I was short sighted as well and I had perfect vision within 1 hour of the surgery, actually less, so the main benefits are instant.

All after care is included in price you pay with optical Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lisie247

bustybabe wrote: »

Dont believe the €595 per eye lark- I went for a consultation in optical express and they said it would be 2000 per eye. Im -5.75 in both eyes so its pretty bad- maybe iof your a -1 its only €595- but ive never heard of anyone getting it done for €595 an eye- has anyone else???

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Lisie247 wrote: »
    Dont believe the €595 per eye lark- I went for a consultation in optical express and they said it would be 2000 per eye. Im -5.75 in both eyes so its pretty bad- maybe iof your a -1 its only €595- but ive never heard of anyone getting it done for €595 an eye- has anyone else???

Yea, it's a sales technique called 'bait and switch'. They use the low price as bait, then when your consultation is finished the actual price for your circumstances is given. Not a great start if you're looking for someone to trust your eyesight with.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lisie247

The 595 per eye as advertised by Optical Express is the verybasic surgery. I had the surgery done with Optical Express and they will recommend you do the more expensive surgery as it uses new better technologies. I ended up paying 2500,plus I should get 500 tax back at the end of the year.

I was short sighted as well and I had perfect vision within 1 hour of the surgery, actually less, so the main benefits are instant.

All after care is included in price you pay with optical Express.

So would u recommend Optical express??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭joecc

re: laser correction....

what's the usual aftercare appointments period...do you have to go back a few mths afterwards?

i think i seen advertised if you're with some health insurance co like Bupa, for e.g. one of the laser eye co's offer discounts? anyone have knowledge on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

joecc wrote: »
    re: laser correction....

what's the usual aftercare appointments period...do you have to go back a few mths afterwards?

I had lasek done.
    Had check up appointments on day 1 and day 3 straight after the surgery.
    Then I had checkups 2 weeks after surgery, 3 months after surgery and I have another one later this year which will be 1 year after surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Plan on getting it done in a few years without a doubt (only 18 atm so have to wait till usually over 23 when you're eyes start to stop "changing").

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭joecc

who are the main providers of this service in ireland?

optical express being one?

anyone know the others?

thanks,
    joe

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

I got my eyes done last week at Laservision. I was thinking about having it done for years but the thought of actually doing it was toe-curling. Anyway I decided to go for a consultation (a friend had recommended them). The surgeon recommended Lasek.

The procedure itself took minutes per eye. My eyes were a bit gritty for 3 or 4 days after but I had plenty of drops to ease that.

So far so good, I'm able to drive now and my eyes will get better over the next few weeks. Delighted I had it done although I was nervous beforehand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Thinking of getting mine done with the Blackrock Clinic, anyone had any experience or heard anything about them?
    Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Went to a clinic yesterday for a consultation and they told me to leave out my contacts for 24 hours, no problem. Just phoned another clinic to get a second opinion and they wanted me to leave out the contacts for a week!?
    Is this normally the case? Found it a bit strange that there would be such a difference in the timeframe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

A week or two sounds about right, I'd be wary of 24 hours as if you wear your contacts full time your eye tends to mould to the shape of the lens so it needs a while to return to it's natural shape, otherwise any measurements taken of it would be off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Calm Horizons

I dropped down to Ultralase in Waterford and was very impressed. The consultation was free and extremely thorough. All of my test results were explained to me and their effect on the outcome of surgery, if I were to elect to have it, was outlined in full. Their prices are pretty good too; just mention that you heard about them on the radio in Cork and you get 20% off their listed prices. I'm going in on the 24th for my surgery; can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

OMG I just phoned another clinic and they require I take my contacts out for TWO Weeks prior to my consultation - note consultation not surgery!! :confused:

This is massively inconvenient. I mean fair enough if it's the norm and necessary for exact diagnosis...but out of three places I've contacted one has said 24 hours, the other 1 week and now this place 2 weeks!? :confused:
    I'm afraid to ring anywhere else!!

What have other people experienced??

Advertisement