Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Thanks for reporting those posts, guys.
    Posts removed,a nd user banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jovi

merrionsq wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of Richard Corkin at the Wellington?
    I'm getting it done on March 12th by Richard Corkin. I'm havein the LASEK done. would be interested to hear from anyon else who have had the LASEK done by Richard at the WEllington Eye Clinic...........

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

I had mine done in the Waterford Eye Clinic about three years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I was about -6 in both eyes and I now have 20/20 in my right eye and about -.05 in my left. It has made my life so easy! And I didn't find it painfull at all. The Vallum helped and the few pain killers and they gave me sleeping tablets to rest for a few hours after surgery. I had my left eye done first then a week later my right eye and the doctors in the Waterford Eye Clinic do all the follow ups for a full year after.

Definitly recommend but I would research the Clinic first. My eyes cost nearly €2,000 each so I'm always dubious about these ad's advertising for less than €500 an eye? Of the people who have had the operation done, how much did it cost you?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ruffy

I've been thinking of having it done for a while & now is the time I really want to start moving on the idea.

2 things disturb me & I'm hoping someone might have had experience of them:

- the idea of colour vision being affected could have reprecussions in my work as a designer

also - i work extensively on computers, often full 8-10 hour days. has anyone who's had surgery experience of this and could tell me whether it impacted on it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

I would have it done in the morning if I were eligible, but alas, my eye condition pretty much precludes any sort of laser surgery ever. So I'm stuck with rigid contacts for the foreseeable future. :(

I had high hopes for Intacs, but they're nowhere near well enough established yet, especially for Keratoconus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Jovi wrote: »
    I'm getting it done on March 12th by Richard Corkin. I'm havein the LASEK done. would be interested to hear from anyon else who have had the LASEK done by Richard at the WEllington Eye Clinic...........

I only had mine down by him the other day. Very happy with the whole experience and surgery. I read other people here saying they were in pain for the day, I must have been one of the lucky ones as I felt as if nothing had happened at all, I slight gritty feeling in one eye occasionaly but that was it. I did spend most of the afternoon in bed though as they recommend, took one of the sleeping tables to help myself with that as I can never sleep during the day anyway. Got up at about 5, had some dinner and lay on the couch listening to the telly the rest of the night while keeping my eyes closed. I had no need to even use one of the solphadeine(spl?) from pack they give you, never mind the pain relieving eye drop if the pain gets really bad.
    My eyes are now at 20/20 but slightly over corrected but that should correct itself over the next few weeks. As I sad, I feel no pain or uncomfort at all, I'm actually fairly surprised myself. Had a quick glance at the street lights last night before I went to bed and didn't seem to have any problems with glare, didn't seem any worse than usual anyway. Only downside to it though is you have to go to bed looking like The Fly every night due to the eye guards you stick to your face to get you out of the habit of rubbing your eyes at night, a total passion killer !

The procedure itself for more uncomforable than anything else, the worse part is the pressure from the suction cup they stick to your eye when making the flap and gets a bit discerting when your vision goes completely because of it. But once that's done the laser part is a breeze, only takes a few moments after that and your eye is done. I took the 2 valium on offer, don't know how much of a difference it made to me but it's supposed to make you more relaxed helping you keep your eyes still for the procedure. And as I said, I felt no pain afterwords and only a slight discomfort like when a contact is not sitting quite right every now and again throughout the day in one eye only.

I've been a fence sitter for the last few years but know a few people over the last year that got it done which was the push I needed. Even simple things like this moring being able to put on my good sunglasses without the need for contacts is a joy, and I automatically went to clean my specs this morning when I was out of bed and dressed out of habit !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

I had the procedure done on my eyes in Nov 95 and March 96 and to this day it's the best thing I ever spent money on !!

I had it done in the Wellington Clinic by Mr. Lavery. Don't know if he is retired at this stage but he was an acknowledged expert at the time and after a lot of research I was very happy to go and get it sorted.

I have never had any colour or night haze problems. Basically I've had perfect vision ever since.

I feel there could well be a few 'cowboy' outfits out there offering anybody who comes in a cheap fix and I would be wary of them, but do your homework and ask others who have had it done by them their opinion. I personally talked to about 5 people who had it done in the Wellington and know numerous others who have had it done since and as far as I know all are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

Also, I work with computers every day for hours at a time and have no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carmensarasate

I had intralase wavefront last August and was minus 7 thereabouts in both eyes!
    I can now see better than I ever have before with glasses or contacts! I had no pain at all after the procedure, which I can honestly say was no worse than a visit to the dentist. However, I went to the most expensive clinic, did my homework, asked the Surgeon lots of questions beforehand. I went to bed that day, woke up the next morning, removed the eye shields, and could see brilliantly well, some glare for a while, which disappeard. Have not looked back since! Research is the key!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vivien

Hi, I had wavefront lasek surgery two weeks ago today. I have since been tested to have 20/20 vision which is great. Only thing is, one of my eyes still gets blurry and even though I passed the vision test I feel like my right eye is definitely not 100% corrected. My left eye is perfect, not even a small bit of haze but the right eye has blurred vision on things that my left eye doesn't. I can eventually make out what the words or what things are with the right eye.

I have experienced all the pain and watery eye symptoms that are expected but only in the left eye which suggests that it behaved properly, whereas my right eye has had no pain or wateryness or anything.

Anyway, can anyone tell me who has had this done, is this normal this early on in the healing process? Should I expect my right eye to catch up with my left?:confused:

Hope all the above makes sense!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I gave it a fair amount of thought but honestly apart from my kid being able to grab my glasses and fling them across the room, I've never really been bothered by them enough to consider taking any risk of permanent damage. The chance of it happening is very low but if it does happen you're pretty ****ed. I guess it comes down to how much you value your eyesight and how big a deal losing it to some extent would be for your work and personal life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

nesf wrote: »
    I guess it comes down to how much you value your eyesight and how big a deal losing it to some extent would be for your work and personal life.

I think it's fair to say that everyone who has has some form of laser surgery values their eyesight and is as big a deal in loosing it as those who choose not to get it done for the same reasons.

Your post reads almost as saying that those who take the risk in getting the surgery don't value their eyesight that much and can handle losing it for work and personal life.

Jip wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that everyone who has has some form of laser surgery values their eyesight and is as big a deal in loosing it as those who choose not to get it done for the same reasons.

Your post reads almost as saying that those who take the risk in getting the surgery don't value their eyesight that much and can handle losing it for work and personal life.

I didn't mean it in that way though on a reread I can see that it was badly worded, nor do I consider getting laser surgery done reckless or anything like that, the odds of something going wrong are very low to be fair. I was more trying to get at that it comes down to the relative weights you attach to the benefits of the surgery and of the risks to it. For me the benefits wouldn't be very valuable and the risks would be very big. If even the idea of being glasses free appealed to me even a moderate bit I can see how I might tend more towards getting the surgery done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so basically you're saying that blind people are less than human nesf?

lame :(

Mordeth wrote: »
    so basically you're saying that blind people are less than human nesf?

Got it in one as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭kiki

Got LASIK done last weekend - I'm very happy with results, some mnor issues but expect them to clear up over next few months as things settle in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Lola87

I'm -5.75 in both eyes and still getting worse so hoping to get it done in about 2 years time if my eyesight levels off soon.

Hate wearing glasses, and contact lenses make my eyes realy tired/dry although I prefer them to glasses.

I'll probably get it done in America as I plan on moving there soon.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

I had lasik bi (with wavefront) done last friday. No pain during or after what so ever, only mild discomfort (eyes drops and a bit of poking around). Went to Orbit and would recommend them. Dr Takis is very reassuring. It cost a total of €2370 and though its only been a few days I am very happy and impressed with the results. To me its a no brainer, perfect eyesight and no pain. Yes there are some risks, just like any surgery but these are very slight.

Before I had it done, I would have said it was cosmetic surgery but I would now take the other view and can best explain it by comparing it to hearing loss. If you had to wear a hearing aid you would never be told that getting surgery to improve your hearing was cosmetic cos you dont want to wear the aid and I now feel the same way about lens/ glasses. Having it done is about much more than wanting to do away with the glasses look, its gives you back the 20/20 vision nature intended.

I really would love it, not having the hassle of putting contacts in all the time.. I hate wearing glasses.. BUT.. I am very iffy about my eyes.. I just don't think I'd be able to go through with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bhaneasa

After years of going will I, won't I, I've booked myself in for a consultation in to the Galway Clinic on this Tuesday to see am I a suitable candidate for Laser Eye Surgery. A bit nervous to tell the truth. have any of ye attended there or know someone who has? Would appreciate any replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Keller

Hi All

I'm getting the wavefront Lasik surgery on Friday (aarrghh) :eek:
    Had the consultation on Saturday with Laser Vision (Leeson St Dublin)
    I went in terrified of getting drops and poked in the eye for an hour but that didnt happen at all! it was great just had to look through 3 different machines and chatted with the doctor for awhile about which one i should go for, i first thought i'd go for the Lasek one for the whole no cutting reason but as he explained it takes longer to heal and your vision will take a few days to straighten itself out and with me living in Sligo this could be more hassle then its worth. so we decided the Lasik would be quicker and easier (gulp) I can't believe its happening so quickly, i've been wanting to do this for ages but been to afraid, i've tried contacts and they make the under of my eyes go black after a few hours!
    I told them all my worries and fears they were all sooo nice to me and promised that they'd look after me :p
    Still cant believe i'll never have to wear glasses again....so weird!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Keller wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm getting the wavefront Lasik surgery on Friday (aarrghh) :eek:
    Had the consultation on Saturday with Laser Vision (Leeson St Dublin)
    I went in terrified of getting drops and poked in the eye for an hour but that didnt happen at all! it was great just had to look through 3 different machines and chatted with the doctor for awhile about which one i should go for, i first thought i'd go for the Lasek one for the whole no cutting reason but as he explained it takes longer to heal and your vision will take a few days to straighten itself out and with me living in Sligo this could be more hassle then its worth. so we decided the Lasik would be quicker and easier (gulp) I can't believe its happening so quickly, i've been wanting to do this for ages but been to afraid, i've tried contacts and they make the under of my eyes go black after a few hours!
    I told them all my worries and fears they were all sooo nice to me and promised that they'd look after me :p
    Still cant believe i'll never have to wear glasses again....so weird!!

How did you get on?

Im thinking of getting a consultation done anyway. I can decide from there maybe.........

Everything went great!! i can see :D
    I swear it was the easiest thing I've ever done! From the minute I went in the gang in Laser Vision were so nice and helpful, very chilled out atmosphere. I was given a little pill to clam me down to be honest I wasn't that bad going in but I think you certainly need something to take the edge off!
    So after that kicked in I was brought down to 'the room' I was given loads of numbing drops through the whole thing and I think the assistant spent more time telling me what was going to happen then the procedure took! :p They even asked me if I wanted to bring my boyfriend down with me, I decided against that because I'd be have to be braver by myself, so I held the assistant's hand and a stress ball ha ha :P
    It was never sore the only uncomfortable bit was when they were putting in the thing that holds your eyelids open but I think that was mainly because there was fingers near my eyes, once it was in it was grand, didn't even notice it! It was over before I knew it which was great and I was given all my aftercare and sent on my way.
    I had to keep my eyes closed for 4 hours afterward, about 10 mins after leaving the clinic the numbing drops started wearing off, again it wasn't sore just really annoying cause it feels like you got sand in your eyes and all you wanna do is rub them! :rolleyes: They put on eye shields before you leave which you have to wear at night as well for a week so that really helps with the whole no touching thing. ;) So for 4 hours I kept my eyes closed, in bed, listening to music. After the 4 hours you get to put in the drops which is a huge relief for your eyes and then I spent most of the evening with my shades on chilling out in the house. :cool:
    The following morning I went back for my checkup to find I could already read 3 lines under the driving standard and 1 almost 2 under the 20/20 vision. I even went shopping in Liffey Valley that evening ha ha :o
    So for the week then I had to take 2 different drops 3 times a day. Yesterday I went back to work and everythings going great! Couldn't be happier with my experience and would totally recommend it to anyone thinking of doing it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

thanks a mil for the wonderful explaination. Mind you im still not sure i could go through with it!!!!!! Best of luck and well done to you.

No problem, glad to help :)
    I hope you get it done some day...totally worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TOPGUN25

HEY I JUST WANTED TO WRITE AND SHARE MY STORY. I HAD LASER EYE SURGERY DONE ON BOTH EYES LAST DECEMBER IN THE BEACON CLINIC SANDYFORD. I WENT FOR A CONSULATION EVENTUALLY.... IT WENT WELL TOTALLY STRIAGHT FORWARD. THERE WAS NO PAIN AT ALL. I WAS TOLD I WAS SUITABLE TO HAVE MY EYES LASERED. I WENT AHEAD BUT TO BE HONEST ON THE DAY OF THE SURGERY I DID STILL HAVE A PART OF ME THINKING AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING!:confused: TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, HERE I AM MONTHS LATER. THE SURGERY WAS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE. I PERSONALLY HAD A LITTLE DISCOMFORT DURING THE SURGERY BUT NOTHING AFTER IT AT ALL. MY EYES WERE BLOODSHOT THATS ALL. EVER SINCE I HAVE HAD MY EYES DONE PEOPLE ASK ME DO YOU THINK I SHOULD GET IT DONE ETC... I CAN HONESTLY SAY IT WAS THE BEST CHOICE FOR ME BUT IT'S VERY HARD TO TELL SOMEBODY TO GO AHEAD AND GET IT DONE!. THE SURGERY IS A VERY PERSONAL CHOICE TO MAKE, YOUR THE ONE WHO HAS TO LIVE WITH THE RESULTS AND IN MY OPINION RESEARCH IS THE BEST THING TO DO. I THINK NOBODY KNOWS EXCATLY WHAT YOUR EYES WILL BE LIKE AFTER THE SURGERY BUT THE PROFESSIONALS HAVE A VERY GOOD IDEA. MY ADVICE TO ANYONE IS GO TO A GOOD CLINIC AND ASK YOUR DOCTOR ALL YOUR Q'S AND FEARS. THEN MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICE BUT BEAR IN MIND WHAT SIDE EFFECTS CAN HAPPEN. HOWEVER I'LL LEAVE ON THE NOTE THAT I AM PROOF YOU CAN GET IT DONE AND HAVE EXCELLENT RESULTS! IF ANYONE WANTS TO ASK ME ABOUT THE SURGERY I'VE NO PROBLEM HELPING, IF IT PUTS YOUR MIND AT REST. I KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO WANT TO ASK SO MANY Q'S BUT DONT KNOW WHO TO ASK !

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bookthief23

Anybody had it done in the Limerick area that they'd recommend? Have been
    thinking about it for ages but wary about where I should approch.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bunnyfox7

I had my laser eye surgery done 7 weeks ago. I can say it's the best thing I've spent my money on so far. The first 4 weeks were sort of tough because my sight fluctuated quite a bit(but to be expected), but the last 3 weeks have been absolutely amazing. No troubles at all, and at my appointment last week I was able to read 2 lines below the normal 20/20 line so I am pretty excited about this. Before I was getting it done I had major problems with night glare because I have very large pupils...and they said they would try to eliminate this as much as possible, and they completely eliminated it! I was sort of amazed by that alone. I got mine done in the National Eye Centre on Parnell street and the staff are fantastic there. It cost 3000euro regardless of your prescription(they just keep the same price for everyone and don't hike up the price)..I got mine done for 2500euro though cuz they have a deal where I work. :D I really do recommend it. I had LASIK too which is the easiest to recover from...I did alot of research on it before hand so I was fully prepared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 snoozy47

I went to Wellington Clinic in Sandyford last week and was told I am best suited for Monovision (only one eye will be operated on), this will leave me with one eye for distance vision and the other for reading. As I am in my 40's, if I had laser surgery in both eyes to improve distance vision I would need reading glasses immediately. With monovision surgery reading glasses may not be needed until 70/75 years old. Dr. Cummins explained that in order to train the brain to use the relevant eye, I was to wear one contact lens for a few weeks.
    Has anyone had this done? My vision is obviously a bit blurred using only one lens, but the doctor said when I had the operation this blurring would be insignificant, is this the case? Also how long did it take for your eyes to settle down after monovision surgery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I had a consultation done and am considering getting lasek later in the year. I've been told that the consulation tests show that I am at risk of night vision issues after the surgery. Does anyone suffer from it? I have spoken to a couple of people who do and say its really only an issue if you need to drive at night outside of a city centre (e.g on country roads). I don't need to do this and I think its a side effect i'd be willing to live with if i could get rid of the contacts & glasses i've had for so many yars.

Advertisement