Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence

Options

Comments

micmclo wrote: »
    It doesn't just pay for TV programmes. Radio as well as most of you know.
    It also pays for a symphony orchastra, actually possibly two symphony orchestras.

I think RTE have a fantastic sports department.
    People pay big money to Sky and Setanta but you got Germany 2006 for maybe the price of two months of Sky. Good deal imo.

Yes but nobody is taking into account the millions RTE creams from advertising.
    That's where I have a huge problem with paying for a licence.
    The British Broadcasting Corp, the Australian Broadcasting Corp, other national broadcasters who demand a licence do not make a cent from advertising... and their output is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

It's not a tax on televisions. It's for any signal entering the house. So you can say you've no telly, but you're still supposed to have one for any radio you might have.
    *see my post above for my feelings on it*

Can you show me this from the statutes.
    I have got the below from the citizen information site
    Now the money may go to RTE for funding both the TV and Radio but it is a TV license fee and you be prosecuted on that possession of a TV not for the possession of a radio.
    f your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. Failure to produce evidence of a television licence to an inspector can result in a court appearance and on conviction, you can receive a substantial fine. People who have been fined and who have breached court orders directing them to pay their television licence can be imprisoned.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences

Rob_l wrote: »
    Now the money may go to RTE for funding both the TV and Radio but it is a TV license fee and you be prosecuted on that possession of a TV not for the possession of a radio.

Good stuff. I had been told it was for any signal entering a property.
    Just a matter of concealing the goggle-box then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Have they started copying old programs as well?
    I'm sure that program 'The English Class' is a take off of a program that I saw in England in the eighties, 'Please Sir!' (Might have been earlier.)

:eek: Just googled it and it was '71! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The day RTE stops accepting advertising revenue - like every other national broadcaster - is the day I'll buy a TV licence.
    Until then, they can shove it.

Oh look, somebody talking out of their arse. What makes you think RTÉ are the only national broadcaster that have advertising? At least be nearly right before making stupid comments. I see you listed two, care to name more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I don't want to pay tax, boo hoo. Would you rather we had four channels of the same quality as TV3.

How about this then, i don't watch anything by RTE. The televison isn't tuned in, i'm not on NTL or similar service.
    I use the TV i bought for my Wii/Ps3/Xbox360 or whatever.

Why should i have to pay 160Quid for a service i don't use?

Have the tuner removed. That's what you are paying for. I am sure you can use scart/hdmi for your games console.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

True Mossy. Would make more sense if people paid for viewing though, rather than an a part of their telly.

I agree but sadly I don't make the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

So is there ABSOLUTELY no excuses?

I lived in Cork last year and my flatmate went ahead and bought a TV Licence without asking me. I was annoyed at having to cough up the money but lo and behold the very next night the bugger with the clipboard came a-knocking. He picked the night of the Champions' League Final as well, just to make sure he caught as many people as possible

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yes but nobody is taking into account the millions RTE creams from advertising.
    That's where I have a huge problem with paying for a licence.
    The British Broadcasting Corp, the Australian Broadcasting Corp, other national broadcasters who demand a licence do not make a cent from advertising... and their output is superior.

oh at least get some correct info, ABC don't 'demand a licence'. All their funding is direct. The BBC makes over 6 billion from their license fee, RTÉ make 150million or so, without the advertsing it would have to massively cut back services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Have the tuner removed. That's what you are paying for. I am sure you can use scart/hdmi for your games console.

So, in order to get around this highway robbery, i have to pay or find someone (because lord know i don't know the first thing about removing a tuner from a TV) to take bits out of the television.

**** that, right in the ear.

heyjude wrote: »
    The TV Licence is just another part of Rip Off Ireland, even at €50 it wouldn't be good value.

Look at todays' TV schedule(from 5.15am this morning for 24 hours) and you'll see: Doctors, Neighbours, Shortland Street, Doctors(again), Fair City, Home and Away, Eastenders(a repeat of yesterdays' episode), Fair City(again) and Shortland Street(again). So thats 9 soaps(7 of them imported), in addition to which they show 'The Afternoon Show'(twice), 'Seoige and O'Shea'(twice) and they also show Nationwide(twice).

Not too much evidence of quality programming there

you seem to have missed out all the news programmes?

Just imagining a world without RTE current affairs, sports coverage and documentaries makes me more eager to pay. TV3... shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What documentaries to RTE make?? I haven't noticed....

They make plenty

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What documentaries to RTE make?? I haven't noticed....

the recent surgeons one, the generation game, léargas, hidden history, urban tales, etc etc..

Personally I'd count prime time investigates which has obviously broken some massive stories such as leas cross.

Each of these is not everyones cup of tea, but they are all expensive to produce and without public funding no-one would bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

In for some company selling TVs that haven't got tuners

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I particularly like their creative TV Licence reminder ads. I've never seen people so riddled with guilt, shame and embarrassment for being caught without a licence.

Rotten Telly Everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

copacetic wrote: »
    you seem to have missed out all the news programmes?

I didn't say that they were the ONLY programmes, but 9 soap operas in a day sounds like a fully commercial station not one committed to quality public service broadcasting.

• Advertisement

I didn't say that they were the ONLY programmes

no, you implied it when you said you were detailing 24 hours of broadcasting.

I just laugh at the latest TV Licence ads though, "We've heard all the excuses and none of them work!".

What about 'Diplomatic Immunity' ? That is a valid excuse and if you had it, it would work nicely, they couldn't prosecute you.

So maybe they haven't heard all the excuses yet. ;)

copacetic wrote: »
    no, you implied it when you said you were detailing 24 hours of broadcasting.

I said
    Look at todays' TV schedule(from 5.15am this morning for 24 hours) and you'll see: Doctors, Neighbours, Shortland Street, Doctors(again), Fair City, Home and Away, Eastenders(a repeat of yesterdays' episode), Fair City(again) and Shortland Street(again). So thats 9 soaps(7 of them imported), in addition to which they show 'The Afternoon Show'(twice), 'Seoige and O'Shea'(twice) and they also show Nationwide(twice).

Not too much evidence of quality programming there and thirty years after the invention of the VCR way too many repeats. The only programme all day that might be worth watching is the film(The Bourne Supremacy) and while it isn't RTE's fault, that has been out of video for some while.

I never said I was detailing 24 hours of broadcasting and I don't see how you could believe that the whole 24 hour schedule would consist of just 9 soap operas and two screenings each of 'The Afternoon Show', 'Seoige & O'Shea' and 'Nationwide'. Clearly there are other programmes, but if you want to be treated differently(through receiving over €150m in licence fee income), then featuring a schedule with so many imported soaps and with several other programmes being repeated within 24 hours of their original showing, is hardly the way to go about it.

The question is, for all the licence fee income it receives, how much of its programming material is not available to viewers on other channels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I just laugh at the latest TV Licence ads though, "We've heard all the excuses and none of them work!".

What about 'Diplomatic Immunity' ? That is a valid excuse and if you had it, it would work nicely, they couldn't prosecute you.

So maybe they haven't heard all the excuses yet. ;)

what about just not answering the door!

seriously does anyone know what poweres these guys have. its not like they can burst through the window crying "TV license inspector, hit the floor!"

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

what about just not answering the door!

seriously does anyone know what poweres these guys have. its not like they can burst through the window crying "TV license inspector, hit the floor!"

lol...you are right constitutionus...they have no power. While they like to portray themselves as like the FBI in the ads they actually have the same powers as your postman, as they also work for An Post as far as I know.

They have zero right to ask to enter your house. Don't give them your name and just tell them to feck off!

Oh look, somebody talking out of their arse. What makes you think RTÉ are the only national broadcaster that have advertising? At least be nearly right before making stupid comments. I see you listed two, care to name more?

Telewizja Polska?
    I'm sure you have access to Wikipedia....

Fact is, I don't watch RTE. I don't watch much TV at all.

Do you have any issue at all with the fact that YOUR licence fee is making up for the shortfall of 1.1m euro Beverly Flynn didn't pay after her failed libel case?
    Or the fact that RTE had its arm bent last week by the government ahead of the Late Late Show?

Telewizja Polska?
    I'm sure you have access to Wikipedia....

Yes I do. Using Wikipedia I can see the following
    wikipedia wrote:
    Telewizja Polska Spółka Akcyjna (TVP S.A., often abbreviated to only TVP, Polish Television) is Poland's public broadcasting corporation. About a third of TVP's income comes from a broadcast receiver licence, while the rest is covered by commercials and sponsorships.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Rob_l wrote: »

i think that site is simplifying it. The licence is for any device that can receive a telegraphic signal. Rte broadcasts on the radio too. There used to be a radio licence then they combined it with the tv one. You do officially need a licence for a radio but i don't think its enforced because no one realises this. If it were enforced then all those people without tvs would be done for having cars with radios in them :D

Yes I do. Using Wikipedia I can see the following

That's interesting, I have totally different information.

Anyway, to answer my question, you have no qualms about funding a failed libel case by Beverly Cooper Flynn?
    Or knowing a guest on the Late Late Show was pulled by the government?
    See, I do have problems with that.

• Advertisement

That's interesting, I have totally different information.

This is why you shouldn't use wikipedia as a basis for your arguement.
    Anyway, to answer my question, you have no qualms about funding a failed libel case by Beverly Cooper Flynn?
    Or knowing a guest on the Late Late Show was pulled by the government?
    See, I do have problems with that.

Yes, I would have a problem with that also. But overall, programming is very good. I would have thought that this is all most people care about. Perhaps I am wrong.

Advertisement