Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence

Options
  • 14-11-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭

RTÉ have got an increase of €2 in the TV licence to €160. In the grand scheme of ridiculousness I think our Government has set a new benchmark. To make consumers statutorily pay for a scutter service like that is madness. Leaving aside the crazy TV ads about the licence (I mean imho would you really be that embarrassed about not paying it?), the amount they pay the presenters is madness. I am afraid to google what Ryan Tubridy is earning.

The schtate of the place!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

we're subsidising such fine home produced tv as you're a a star!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well that does it! I had come around to the idea of paying the tv licence but that's the straw that broke the camel's back... Ye can frig right off!

Ah no, I wasn't really going to pay for my tv. I haven't gone completely mad.

It's not really allot of money in the grand scheme of things. If there's 2 million licence's that's only €4mill, which to a large corporation isn't exactly a huge amount of money. especially when a quarter of that goes straight into feeding Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Still the whole fecking €160 is derickulous in the first place. You've just made my day there reminding me that part of it goes into Gerry Ryans pocket. :eek: *shuddder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Your all right we dont need a national station do away with it we can rely on TV3 for our news and current affairs programming
    and the national language station sure thats useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I Dont Pay A Tv License Come Get Me Yeh ****ers

• Advertisement

Rob_l wrote: »
    Your all right we dont need a national station do away with it we can rely on TV3 for our news and current affairs programming
    I want to keep RTE some of it's shows are ok, we have good current affairs programs. My problem with RTE is they don't make an effort there doesn't seem to be any flare in the company. They're just trying to copy tv stations from oversees and they can't go toe to toe with these guys they just don't have the funds. They should be trying something new instead of pulling up the same faces to do the same shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

You really think you can rely on RTE for your news and current affairs? You don't think state-sponsored news might be a little biased?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

TV3 does alright considering it doesn't get subsidised €160.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

cson wrote: »

lol
    tv3 is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

cson wrote: »
    No, instead it gets money and a vast majority of its programming from parent company ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Lads I don't see the problem with it. You have to admit it's value for money, with some excellent shows like The english class, Fair City, I dare ya, Seoige and O'Se, the afternoon show etc. And you can sleep soundly knowing you've given more money to Gerry Ryan to shovel burgers down his throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

whitetrash wrote: »
    You really think you can rely on RTE for your news and current affairs? You don't think state-sponsored news might be a little biased?

Not at all. And sure they have no influence whatsoever on who gos on discussion panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

ScumLord wrote: »
    I want to keep RTE some of it's shows are ok, we have good current affairs programs. My problem with RTE is they don't make an effort there doesn't seem to be any flare in the company. They're just trying to copy tv stations from oversees and they can't go toe to toe with these guys they just don't have the funds. They should be trying something new instead of pulling up the same faces to do the same shows.

You should go to court and argue that only want to pay part of the license fee for the parts of the programming that you deem to quality and acceptable viewing!

Most TV networks rip each off in one way or another. TV3 are notorious for that sort of **** but RTE *do* put together some original programming not fleeced off other networks.

It's €160 lids FFS - just pay it like everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's not even the price of a half pint ;) RTE do get reviewed and it's not as if it's just handed to them. As for TV3 , well I find it hard to put the words "television" and "good" in the same sentence as TV3. Only ever watch it by accident. :p

You should go to court and argue that only want to pay part of the license fee for the parts of the programming that you deem to quality and acceptable viewing!

Most TV networks rip each off in one way or another. TV3 are notorious for that sort of **** but RTE *do* put together some original programming not fleeced off other networks.

It's €160 lids FFS - just pay it like everyone else!
    No. Send your tv bitch I'll smack the face o' im. :p

Half RTEs homemade garbage is just repeats. HANDS!! FFS! it's as old as the hills, It's actually very watchable when your stoned but still.. Hands prime time RTE viewing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

MOH wrote: »
    Not at all. And sure they have no influence whatsoever on who gos on discussion panels.

I dunno, some higher-up in RTE has a mate in gov who asks him to downplay some story or drop a guest from a late, late chat show. I wouldn't be surprised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's not really allot of money in the grand scheme of things. If there's 2 million licence's that's only €4mill, which to a large corporation isn't exactly a huge amount of money. especially when a quarter of that goes straight into feeding Gerry Ryan.

Umm, not sure where you learned maths, but 2 million licences x €160 = €320 million. And that I would call a large amount of money!

Edit: just saw you meant the extra €2, hence the 4mill. Stil, its an extra 4mill on top of what they already get, for producing sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Umm, not sure where you learned maths, but 2 million licences x €160 = €320 million. And that I would call a large amount of money!

It's nothing when you take Pat Kenny's salary into account. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Do you have to pay a tv licence if you have a computer with a tv-in card? Like if you moved into a house which already had an arial and all that, and didnt actually use a tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

TPD wrote: »
    Do you have to pay a tv licence if you have a computer with a tv-in card? Like if you moved into a house which already had an arial and all that, and didnt actually use a tv?

I know there was some debate about it but I'm not sure what the answer is. You might be better off asking the question in the Television forum, one of the guys there should know for definite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I never understand why people are so aggressive about not paying their licence. Relatively small amount in the scheme of things. I think it is really pathetic when somebody has a huge TV in their house that costs a couple of thousand and then go mental at the mention of paying a tv licence. I am also pretty sure every benefits from the fee as they use it to regulate transmissions such as ambulance frequencies too. Not sure though but it doesn't all go straight to RTE for sure.

whitetrash wrote: »

I think its better than tv3 or sky for getting irish news\ current affairs progam

Kipperhell wrote: »
    I never understand why people are so aggressive about not paying their licence. Relatively small amount in the scheme of things. I think it is really pathetic when somebody has a huge TV in their house that costs a couple of thousand and then go mental at the mention of paying a tv licence. I am also pretty sure every benefits from the fee as they use it to regulate transmissions such as ambulance frequencies too. Not sure though but it doesn't all go straight to RTE for sure.

Exactly

i think it works out a €13 a month
    which as we all know is a massive amount most families in this country would struggle to afford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

im sooooo glad i dont pay this.

of course when they make the liscence cover PCs im fooked.

No. Send your tv bitch I'll smack the face o' im. :p

Half RTEs homemade garbage is just repeats. HANDS!! FFS! it's as old as the hills, It's actually very watchable when your stoned but still.. Hands prime time RTE viewing. :(

Wow - I think you and I are watching 2 very different versions of the same channel.

Maybe your VCR is stuck and that's why you're seeing so many 'repeats' - perhaps you're too stoned off your tits to notice?

Also - I'm not the TV license guy. I won't be sending 'my tv bitch for you to smack' :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No, instead it gets money and a vast majority of its programming from parent company ITV.

ITV have no stake in TV3 anymore.
    TPD wrote: »

If you have a television tuner of any kind you are expected to pay for a tv license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Some people need to watch other tv networks before juding RTE so harshly!
    The BBC is better for instance but their license fee is BIGGER and they have what 40 million + buying it.

The main US networks though produce an inordinate amount of ****e.
    For every good show theres at least 3 reality / quiz shows. A lot of the comedies are dire as well. RTE for the budget it has compares very favourably to a weekly night on FOX, NBC or CBS.

The other thing RTE does well is news reporting. Its generally even and not hysterical. Appreciate the fact that they don't need to find a human interest angle to every story. CNN and FOX news are saturated with fear stories (killer on the LOOSE!) and have that fake talk ****e where the anchor acts all chirpy with the reporters.

Fact is, RTE is relatively a good Network station.

Maybe your VCR is
    VCR? :confused:

RTE do show a hole heap of programing from early days of colour. One show was them taking a load of guinness down a canal, it was made in the 70-80s and was pure and utter ****e. Maybe it was just a summer thing?

I won't be sending 'my tv bitch for you to smack'
    Spoilsport. :(

VCR? :confused:

RTE do show a hole heap of programing from early days of colour. One show was them taking a load of guinness down a canal, it was made in the 70-80s and was pure and utter ****e. Maybe it was just a summer thing?

Spoilsport. :(

Go back to sleep chief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Its not just home produced stuff they buy in programmes from abroad. And some of it is very good aswell. And it pays for the radio stations. Its a bargain compared to some countries, you are getting value for your money.

Advertisement