Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

ScumLord wrote: »
    VCR? :confused:

RTE do show a hole heap of programing from early days of colour. One show was them taking a load of guinness down a canal, it was made in the 70-80s and was pure and utter ****e. Maybe it was just a summer thing?

Spoilsport. :(
    See, the thing is, I actually find some of those old shows really interesting. For one, they show a world most of us here never knew. I mean, they made a show about bringing guinness down a canal. Nowadays canals are used for storing old shopping trolleys and bikes and the odd body. It's a look back at your own history.

And secondly, it also shows what Irish television was like back in the day, which is hilarious if you're stoned/drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

humanji wrote: »
    See, the thing is, I actually find some of those old shows really interesting. For one, they show a world most of us here never knew. I mean, they made a show about bringing guinness down a canal. Nowadays canals are used for storing old shopping trolleys and bikes and the odd body. It's a look back at your own history.

And secondly, it also shows what Irish television was like back in the day, which is hilarious if you're stoned/drunk.

I like these programs and am a big fan of reeling in the years
    Which is brilliant for remembering just how **** the 70's and 80's really were

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

how is your a star in the public service remit? why is it then when the 'party' leans on the state broadcaster it buckles under the pressure are we living in romania or albania during the cold war as i type i laugh in a mad sort of way
    is any of this crap really getting under anybody elses skin or are we all numb to this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

how is your a star in the public service remit? why is it then when the 'party' leans on the state broadcaster it buckles under the pressure are we living in romania or albania during the cold war as i type i laugh in a mad sort of way
    is any of this crap really getting under anybody elses skin or are we all numb to this now?

To some people 'You're a Star' constitutes quality Sunday prime time viewing.

I don't know who these people and what is wrong with them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

humanji wrote: »

Agreed ya, I actually like the fact that these shows are on but at the same time not even an oap could watch these things sober. I haven't had sky for about 10 years and don't miss it one bit I like having a few channels with varied content and don't so much mind those shows but Rte need to make an effort on other types of shows.

That show about the canal had no music and a really droll commentary nothing actually happened in the show. I had turned it off but got a bit of smoke and sat through the rest of the show it was really relaxing but at the same time I could have gone out and sat in a field and had the same experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I couldn't care less about tv licenses to be honest, but i shouldn't have to pay the license when i'm paying sky/chorus for their service, who are in turn paying RTÉ for broadcasting, thus doubling RTÉ's income...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Just got caught without a licence a few days ago. Played the "just moved in" card and was given a month to get one. €158...for what? As already mentioned I pay for chorus, and RTE get plenty of money from advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Nightwish wrote: »
    Just got caught without a licence a few days ago. Played the "just moved in" card and was given a month to get one. €158...for what? As already mentioned I pay for chorus, and RTE get plenty of money from advertising.

Jesus - suck it up FFS.

It's a tax that everyone in the entire state gets shafted with and if you don't pay it you get taken down the District Court and shafted for 10 times the amount!

There has been much opposition to this over the years and nothing's ever changed so maybe just try dealing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Is it one TV licence oer house or is it per telly? I cna never seem to remember. I think E160 is a bit steep, the only interesting things on it are the nature programmes on RTE2.

My house doesn't exist on any government databases and you can't get to my front door without being let in another door which doesn't have any intercoms or nothin you have to ring me to get into the building. It's not quiet as shady as it sounds just a lucky setup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I couldn't care less about tv licenses to be honest, but i shouldn't have to pay the license when i'm paying sky/chorus for their service, who are in turn paying RTÉ for broadcasting, thus doubling RTÉ's income...

Oh really? Do some research please.

Hands is on right now, it's pure and utter ****e. Yerman sounds like Joe Duffy and he talks just as much ****e as him, pointless. They're shoeing a horse, it's a show about shoeing a ****in' horse.

Dublin looks weird in it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    ITV have no stake in TV3 anymore.

Huh. Right you are. Seem to have missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hands is on right now, it's pure and utter ****e. Yerman sounds like Joe Duffy and he talks just as much ****e as him, pointless. They're shoeing a horse, it's a show about shoeing a ****in' horse.

Dublin looks weird in it though.
    I'm finding it oddly hypnotic. I haven't been this relaxed in years...

He's a great speaker.. "There he is there, throwing the thing up on the, yolk". :D

Jesus, Dublin looks like an awful dumb back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

My house doesn't exist on any government databases and you can't get to my front door without being let in another door which doesn't have any intercoms or nothin you have to ring me to get into the building. It's not quiet as shady as it sounds just a lucky setup.

I presume that you do get letters delivered to your residence? If so then you are on An Posts database who funnily enough collect the license fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

TPD wrote: »
    Do you have to pay a tv licence if you have a computer with a tv-in card? Like if you moved into a house which already had an arial and all that, and didnt actually use a tv?

Good question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The TV Licence is just another part of Rip Off Ireland, even at €50 it wouldn't be good value.

Look at todays' TV schedule(from 5.15am this morning for 24 hours) and you'll see: Doctors, Neighbours, Shortland Street, Doctors(again), Fair City, Home and Away, Eastenders(a repeat of yesterdays' episode), Fair City(again) and Shortland Street(again). So thats 9 soaps(7 of them imported), in addition to which they show 'The Afternoon Show'(twice), 'Seoige and O'Shea'(twice) and they also show Nationwide(twice).

Not too much evidence of quality programming there and thirty years after the invention of the VCR way too many repeats. The only programme all day that might be worth watching is the film(The Bourne Supremacy) and while it isn't RTE's fault, that has been out of video for some while.

As for Network2/RTE 2, well if you aren't a kid then you won't need to bother with the opening 11+ hours or so of daily programming, after which they have Neighbours and Home and Away sandwiching the Simpsons. The two CSI's and maybe the wildlife programme Two Wild are the only programmes worth considering.

I think like everything else, how you measure value depends on your personal preferences, if you love soaps, the likes of Seoige and O'Shea, The Afternoon Show, Turbridy Tonight, The Late Late Show or if you have young kids, then RTE may seem good value, but commercial channels like TV3 and Channel 6 show imports like CSI, so you have to measure RTE against the rest and I don't think they are worth €160 a year.

Personally if I paid 50c for every RTE programme I watched in the year, I'd be due a sizeable refund at years end, as most days I wouldn't even notice if RTE was off the air. I think the licence fee is just a tax on everyone to entertain a sizeable minority that enjoy its mix of soaps and repeats. Still I suppose by repeating almost every home produced programme except the news, they can claim a high proportion of the programmes they broadcast are Irish produced. :rolleyes:

If RTE television and radio could somehow be made subscription only, how many people would pay €160 a year for it ? And if it was a subscription deal, do you think they'd turn out their current programming mix ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Jesus - suck it up FFS.

It's a tax that everyone in the entire state gets shafted with and if you don't pay it you get taken down the District Court and shafted for 10 times the amount!

There has been much opposition to this over the years and nothing's ever changed so maybe just try dealing with it.

FFS I am paying it...just not yet as I'm broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Lads I don't see the problem with it. You have to admit it's value for money, with some excellent shows like The english class, Fair City, I dare ya, Seoige and O'Se, the afternoon show etc. And you can sleep soundly knowing you've given more money to Gerry Ryan to shovel burgers down his throat.

'Excellent' are you serious :confused::confused::confused: ?

As for being 'value for money', 'you can't be serious'!!!

If you enjoy 'The English Class' you'd have enjoyed the first time that these jokes/situations were used, 30 years ago on the ITV series 'Mind Your Language'. Check out this page for further details http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_Your_Language

The TV licence is also a flat rate 'tax' so it hits poorer people harder

• Advertisement

Celticfire wrote: »
    I presume that you do get letters delivered to your residence?
    Nope, my name and address isn't even on the ESB bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

heyjude wrote: »

The TV licence is also a flat rate 'tax' so it hits poorer people harder

Sure poor people watch more telly than the rest of us, they should pay higher licence fees. :)

How about a metered service, I reckon I'd owe them about €10 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Got back a little early today and Seoige O'Shea happened was on the TV.

I thought it was incredibly dull as dishwater, she's trying too hard, and he could try for ever and still make no difference. Kind of wallpaper TV programming for Nursing Homes.

Pure Crap Public Broadcasting at its worst. I was a bit surprised, hadn't realised RTE could match TV3 crap etc

Licence fee is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

heyjude wrote: »
    The TV Licence is just another part of Rip Off Ireland, even at €50 it wouldn't be good value.

Look at todays' TV schedule(from 5.15am this morning for 24 hours) and you'll see: Doctors, Neighbours, Shortland Street, Doctors(again), Fair City, Home and Away, Eastenders(a repeat of yesterdays' episode), Fair City(again) and Shortland Street(again). So thats 9 soaps(7 of them imported), in addition to which they show 'The Afternoon Show'(twice), 'Seoige and O'Shea'(twice) and they also show Nationwide(twice).

Not too much evidence of quality programming there and thirty years after the invention of the VCR way too many repeats. The only programme all day that might be worth watching is the film(The Bourne Supremacy) and while it isn't RTE's fault, that has been out of video for some while.

As for Network2/RTE 2, well if you aren't a kid then you won't need to bother with the opening 11+ hours or so of daily programming, after which they have Neighbours and Home and Away sandwiching the Simpsons. The two CSI's and maybe the wildlife programme Two Wild are the only programmes worth considering.

I think like everything else, how you measure value depends on your personal preferences, if you love soaps, the likes of Seoige and O'Shea, The Afternoon Show, Turbridy Tonight, The Late Late Show or if you have young kids, then RTE may seem good value, but commercial channels like TV3 and Channel 6 show imports like CSI, so you have to measure RTE against the rest and I don't think they are worth €160 a year.

Personally if I paid 50c for every RTE programme I watched in the year, I'd be due a sizeable refund at years end, as most days I wouldn't even notice if RTE was off the air. I think the licence fee is just a tax on everyone to entertain a sizeable minority that enjoy its mix of soaps and repeats. Still I suppose by repeating almost every home produced programme except the news, they can claim a high proportion of the programmes they broadcast are Irish produced. :rolleyes:

If RTE television and radio could somehow be made subscription only, how many people would pay €160 a year for it ? And if it was a subscription deal, do you think they'd turn out their current programming mix ?
    I don't want to pay tax, boo hoo. Would you rather we had four channels of the same quality as TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Its a tax a tax on people who have televisions if you don't want to pay it then get rid of your tv.
    All the excuses of I don't watch RTE programming seem very similar to me saying
    "I haven't been sick this year so I hope my tax money is going towards hospitals"
    Or to me saying "the quality of Irish roads is ****e Im not paying road tax anymore until they fix them"

The day RTE stops accepting advertising revenue - like every other national broadcaster - is the day I'll buy a TV licence.
    Until then, they can shove it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I want to keep RTE some of it's shows are ok, we have good current affairs programs. My problem with RTE is they don't make an effort there doesn't seem to be any flare in the company. They're just trying to copy tv stations from oversees and they can't go toe to toe with these guys they just don't have the funds. They should be trying something new instead of pulling up the same faces to do the same shows.
    They should take a leaf from TG4 then.
    whitetrash wrote: »
    You really think you can rely on RTE for your news and current affairs? You don't think state-sponsored news might be a little biased?
    RTE have been accused of having a left wing bias. The BBC were setup to be state sponsored news. How many people run the newspapers in Ireland or in the UK ? Very few and they are almost all right wing businessmen with very similar agendas.
    cson wrote: »
    TV3 does alright considering it doesn't get subsidised €160.
    Thanks but I already get my dose of ITN in the form of UTV. Even channel 6 is better if only for the rock chick ;)

Rob_l wrote: »
    Its a tax a tax on people who have televisions if you don't want to pay it then get rid of your tv.
    All the excuses of I don't watch RTE programming seem very similar to me saying
    "I haven't been sick this year so I hope my tax money is going towards hospitals"
    Or to me saying "the quality of Irish roads is ****e Im not paying road tax anymore until they fix them"

It's not a tax on televisions. It's for any signal entering the house. So you can say you've no telly, but you're still supposed to have one for any radio you might have.
    *see my post above for my feelings on it*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It doesn't just pay for TV programmes. Radio as well as most of you know.
    It also pays for a symphony orchastra, actually possibly two symphony orchestras.

I think RTE have a fantastic sports department.
    People pay big money to Sky and Setanta but you got Germany 2006 for maybe the price of two months of Sky. Good deal imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Rob_l wrote: »

You don't pay road tax and you never will ;)

Advertisement