Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is your commute to work???

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

On a usual morning at 8:30am, one and a half hours. If I go in late to avoid the traffic, a little over an hour.

If the traffic is particularly bad in the evening it could possibly take two hours.

I'm traveling from the edge of Bray into Dame street and then up to Thomas street. Been doing it every day now for 5 years. Don't really notice it anymore to be honest. (At least that's what I keep telling myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

During school holidays, I can leave at 830 and usually get in at just after 9 (by car). All other times, arrive about 915.

Homeward, between 30 mins to an hour max, depending on traffic.

Have to say I'd gladly walk or cycle if i lived within 2-3 miles of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

about an 8minute drive each way..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Used to be 6 - 8 minutes for the past few years, now with the new job it's about 35 - 40 min (10 min walk to bus, ~25 min journey, miscellaneous time waiting for the bus).

I did find that it takes pretty much the same time to drive in today (40 min) and that's with the bus using a bus lane all the way to my office in Stephen's Green (the only problem is parking).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

30mins to 50mins on 2 buses.

40ish minute walk.

I have a laptop and a lot of camera gear in a bag. Makes the bus more endurable.

It's the furthest I've lived from college though, last few years, it's alwas been <25 mins walking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cookiebliss

one and half-two hours each way. from balbriggan to ucd mon-fri. need to be up by 6am to make 9am lec. at weekend 30 mins each way. balbriggan to dublin airport. (but depends if bus eireann shows up r not!:mad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Currently an hour and a half (AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH).

Leixlip to Tallaght. 30 mins standing on a packed train and 50 mins on the Luas. The Luas journey is pleasant enough, I get on at the first stop each way so I always get a seat, but if I didn't have my mp3 player I think I'd cry.

I have only been in the job a week and a half and the 3 hour commute is killing me so I am buying a car tomorrow. I don't even mind if I still have a long commute, just so long as I don't have to stand on a packed train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

15 Minute Cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

40 minute walk or 5 minute drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pablot

i read somewhere recently that the average commute is 25-30 minutes in the country which seems to bear out whats being shown here. I currently work in Castlebar, it takes about 25 mins to get to work in the morning. I don't think i would ever take a job that required a commute time of more than 35 minutes. Any more than that would be a bit ridiculous regardless of the salary.

• Advertisement

Snarler wrote: »
    So why don't you just get a job in Enfield or move to Dublin City. I can't understand why people travel more than an hour a day to work.

Athlone to Tallaght, 1:30 - 1:50 depending on traffic. In answer to the Q above, I Don't want to live in Dublin but would jump at a job in Athlone, 'till then I must commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Drumcondra to IFSC.
    5 minutes on a motorbike.
    In fact it takes me longer to put on my waterproof gear and unlock all my security chains then it takes to drive to work.

Commuting on two wheels rules! :D
    Cheap tax, use feck all fuel and you get to use the bus lanes on the sly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I go to college in DCU and live in Blackrock. About 2 hours on average...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Takes me about a minute or two in the car. I haven't timed it walking yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Kipperhell wrote: »
    The better value for money houses in the middle of nowhere show their cost eventually.

It is a trade off, i knew that when i moved to portlaoise.
    BUT i have the mortgage paid in 9 years.

I drove in this morning and it took 1hour and five (at 7.30 am) to get to where i work now in celbridge. Some 50 miles.

I would liek to use the trains but they are so bad from celbridge to Portlaoise in the evenings that, even though i live 1 milee from the trains station i have to drive to Kildare to get a train.
    PLUS in teh morning they delay everything becase of the bloody cork intercity gets priority and never runs on time
    Grrrrr rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

20 minutes on das bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

<1 min 90% of the time as I work out of my home office. The other 10% I go to the office which is about 15 minutes or I have to get on a plane for a business trip for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

Ten mins there. Tens mins home. This thread cheered me up lol :)

Are you 2-3 hour commuters off your head? New job FTW!

Are you 2-3 hour commuters off your head? New job FTW!

One day, one day.... I hope :(.

Advertisement