Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is your commute to work???

Options
  • 14-11-2007 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I was just listening to my local radio station this morning and some person was saying he got up at 5.30 and finished work at 7 in the evening.

My brother works similar hours 3 days a week.

Crazy working like that but money's money I suppose

How long 226 votes

About 10 mins or less
    0% 0 votes
    20 mins
    25% 58 votes
    30 mins
    16% 37 votes
    30 mins to one hour
    9% 22 votes
    over an hour
    26% 60 votes
    60 to 90 mins
    5% 13 votes
    over 90 mins less than 2 hours
    11% 25 votes
    more than 2 hours
    4% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Roughly 10 mins :)

[edit] Walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Dundalk to Cookstown 5 days a week. Roughly 12 hour day with 9 of that in work and 3 travelling. Money sucks, as does job. Necessity is why i do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Someone made a thread like this not too long ago. My mam's commute used to see her have to leave at half four in the morning for an eight o'clock start, she'd finish at four and be home at eight. We lived in Cavan and she worked in Stillorgan.

Going to and from college takes me about three and a half hours a day in total.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Blanchardstown to Merrion Square... Can be anything from an hour to 90 minutes depending on traffic and same home.. :o The alternative is to take the bus but I hate public transport..

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

50 minutes to work.......about an hour home +8.30 hours in work so not too bad....just god damn trains are always packed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 pbug21

Anywhere between 30-45 mins. Ballsbridge to Clondalkin. Always going opposite way to traffic flow tis great. Traffic along the canal at rathmines has been a bit of a bitch lately though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Oh god.. These Dublin commutes always have me in stitches. :D 3 hours driving to work lol.

I'm a 3 minute walk away from work. But I take the car. :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

The minute I get up I'm at work. God I love being self employed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

10min walk down the road :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

anywhere from 40mins - 1hr 15 into work (Churchtown to BeggarsBush)
    and then... depending on when I leave and weird randomness -- it can be from 25mins - 1hr

fun fun eh? twas evil this morning though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Less than 10 minutes.

The thought of doing more than 30 minutes is too much for me, not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 asti_mivec

For me it's anywhere from 40 mins to 90 minutes but depends what time I come in for!!

But today it took 1 hour and 55 minutes (Enfield to Tallaght) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

about 15 minutes 10 minutes on the luas 5 minutes walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I leave my house at 8.10 to be in at exactly 9am. (on the dart). it's not bad unless there's a problem with the dart. Then it's a pain in the hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I've gone from a 5 minute walk to work to an hour + drive, depending on traffic :mad: in the last year, I work 9.30-5.30 so that's not too bad but I'm on the road for 8 and not home till 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

From Temple Street to Eccles street in less than two minutes, Im still always late.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

get up at 7am for a train at 8.10am.

20 minute walk to train station, 30 train journey followed by a 20 minute walk from train station to work.tis f*cking miserable.and the money really isnt worth it.damn my contract!!

finish at 5pm and dont get home til about 6.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

15mins in, 20 mins home, cycle Dundrum/Ballsbridge. Sweet, except this morning, note to self :get rain gear:(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

20 mins, maybe less. Drive from Ashtown, park in the Phoenix park, and then 5 mins walk to work. I usually get up at around 9.30, be in work for 10 (well, 10.05) after a quick shower, leave work around 5.20 and then home for about 5.50 (takes longer in the evening), so around 8 hours 20 mins from get up to get home on a normal day. I have never lived more than 20 mins away from work, and wouldn't really care to tbh.

Hard life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Train is just around the corner, 3 minute walk. It goes every 2 mins (the joys of a proper service :)), 2 stops and walk into work. Takes about 15 or so mins but that includes stopping off at the bakery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Enfield -> Adelaide Road (end of harcourt street)

Get up at 6.40, leave 6:55 ,get 7 oclock bus, in work 8:45.

Finish work at 5:30, walk to ha'penny bridge to bus. Get 6:15 bus, in enfield 7:10, home at 7:15.

Lifes a bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

10 mile, 20 minute drive. Can't complain really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

5 min walk and 5-10 min on train or else a 30 min walk...not bad in dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

~20 minute walk, depending on the weather and how awake I am as i'm walking.

I could probably cut that time down if I got a bike but I like the walk in the morning. gives me time to think about what I need to get done in the day.

Lifes too short to be sitting in gridlock or waiting on the rubbish irish bus system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Enfield -> Adelaide Road (end of harcourt street)

Get up at 6.40, leave 6:55 ,get 7 oclock bus, in work 8:45.

Finish work at 5:30, walk to ha'penny bridge to bus. Get 6:15 bus, in enfield 7:10, home at 7:15.

Lifes a bitch!
    So why don't you just get a job in Enfield or move to Dublin City. I can't understand why people travel more than an hour a day to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Little over an hour. Its fine, I get a seat on the train every morning and a 20 minute walk to wake myself up when I get into Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

20 minute drive with no traffic, its great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Bleagh, dunno how some of yiz do it. At the moment I'm about 10 mins on the bike. Up just before 9am, gone by 9:20....leave work @5...home by 5:15. Indeed a tough life.
    Had to do Castleknock to Beaumont for two weeks last year and I was a basket case by the end of it. Trying to get out of castleknock with all the mammies dropping their precious kiddies the 1km to school was a friggin nightmare. Took me longer to get to the M50 than the whole rest of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

bout 86 secs walking round the corner last time i timed it, and i still manage to be 10 mins late every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

When i lived in Dublin, I had a 30 second commute (lived in the building next to work beside the Phoenix Park), then moved slightly farther away and it was a 5 minute walk

Now in Norway, get a bus at 7;15 and I am in work usually at 7:40 and usually home by 4:15 or so.

Advertisement