Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is your commute to work???

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was just listening to my local radio station this morning and some person was saying he got up at 5.30 and finished work at 7 in the evening.

My brother works similar hours 3 days a week.

Crazy working like that but money's money I suppose

Up at 530 leave house around 6am back at house 8-9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

impossible to pick an option on the poll as god only knows how long it takes depending on the day.

in the main, if i avoid rush hour, about 40min. if the kids are off and or its a sunday maybe 20 mins to half an hour.

though a minor alteration to the traffic flow one day resulted in a three hour commute back for me once. which is a commute time longer than a fecking flight to hungary!.

today for instance took me over an hour to get into work. i presume it was the drizzle of rain.

PS. i use the bus. god help you if your actually driving in by car!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i live 6/8 miles from work. I have to take two buses or one bus and a 30 mins. walk, which takes about an hour.

or else i drive and this can take anything from 30 mins to 1hr 50mins (as it did last thursday)

or my other option to is to walk which is roughly 1hr, 45mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

In my case more then 2 hours a day.

Leave at 5.30 and arrive at Office in Dublin at around 7 (have to drop another commuter off on the way, otherwise I could sleep 10 more minutes).

Leave Office around 3 or 3.30 and back at home at 5 at latest. I am quite happy with it tbh. I love driving car, and as I work 2 days a week from home I only have to do it 3 times a week.

Why I do it? I love my job and would be hard pressed to find another company that would pay me even close to what I get now. From next year on I might even be able to work 3 or 4 days a week from home, which would make it even sweeter.

BTW. I have colleagues who live in Dublin, and still need more time to get to work then me (80 miles commute)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

bout 25-30 mins... firhouse to stephens green on bike (bicycle, not motorbike)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Rochfortbridge in Westmeath to Blanch in under an hour. Anywhere between 40 mins to an hour depending on traffic in Clonsill/blanch and sometimes the back of leixlip. Usually leave at 7am and am in Blanch by 8am.
    Althouh im based in Blanch, i can be anywhere in the city or country. I drop my wife off in Blanch if im in Dublin and head up the road to the office or to my job.
    You will see my commute to Blanch is less than a lot of people who actually live in Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

DubDani wrote: »
    In my case more then 2 hours a day.

Leave at 5.30 and arrive at Office in Dublin at around 7 (have to drop another commuter off on the way, otherwise I could sleep 10 more minutes).

Leave Office around 3 or 3.30 and back at home at 5 at latest. I am quite happy with it tbh. I love driving car, and as I work 2 days a week from home I only have to do it 3 times a week.

Why I do it? I love my job and would be hard pressed to find another company that would pay me even close to what I get now. From next year on I might even be able to work 3 or 4 days a week from home, which would make it even sweeter.

BTW. I have colleagues who live in Dublin, and still need more time to get to work then me (80 miles commute)

i highly recommend going part time. best decison i ever made. it halved my wage but trust me, ya cant put a price on waking up on a dreary monday morning....seeing the gridlock at 7.30 outside your bedroom window...and rolling over to go back to sleep. still im in a geat position. if i was some poor sap trying to keep a roof over my head starting off now i'd need three times the wages im on to maintain my lifestyle :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

6 minutes. My apartment overlooks where I work

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Leave house 06:15, 5 mins by car to train station, arrive at Pearse at 07:00 & 20 min 20 min walk to office - arrive 07:20.
    Total commute: 1 h 5 mins one way.

These days finishing work any time between 19:30 & 22:00. Getting home generally between 21:15 & 23:00 - I get a cab if I leave after 22:00.

Saturdays & Sundays I drive - commute only takes 35 mins each way then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Walk from Montpelier Park to Heuston Station
    LUAS or 90 bus to IFSC
    WAlk to Whitaker Sq. Sir john rogerson's quay

all in all about 45 -50 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Ballymun to Ballsbridge - 1 hour and 15 minutes to 2 hours dependng on traffic.

The annoying thing is i can walk it an hour and a half. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Tuam to Carraroe (120 mile round trip :eek:), in the morning I leave at 7:40, head up around Lough Corrib and down through Connemara (bit longer, loverly scenery, avoid Galway morning rush hour) and come back through Galway in the evening (avoiding the worst traffic), back home around 7-ish.

3 hours per day in the car, don't mind it to be honest, thank God I bought a diesel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

trains are the beez kneez

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ishmael wrote: »
    Ballymun to Ballsbridge - 1 hour and 15 minutes to 2 hours dependng on traffic.

The annoying thing is i can walk it an hour and a half. :mad:

Cycle FTW surely. I used to do Beaumont to the canal in 25 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

About 45 mins, between the walk to the bus and the bus to work.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lucan to Clonskeagh, 2 buses - 1hr 30 mins each way.
    I leave home at 6.30 and arrive at work at 8, leave work at 5 and get home at 6.30 if the traffic's not absolutely crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

carlow to dublin, if in city centre park at red cow allow 45 mins from there in, so all in all 1.5hrs each way..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

brim4brim wrote: »
    Little over an hour. Its fine, I get a seat on the train every morning and a 20 minute walk to wake myself up when I get into Connolly.
    ah so you've probably seen me giving you dirty looks when the smelly, ipod using, backpack wearing hippie has just knocked me over on that train.

takes me about an hour to get in on two trains but i don't mind because i don't have to take the crappy bus

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

no work from home/zero minutes option, you fail at polls. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I live in College. My lectures are on in that building there, <200m away.

I've a lecture in 15 minutes. I think I'll go put the kettle on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

3 minutes....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cormster

I travel from North County Dublin to Citywest - commute averages between 40mins (early morning or late evening) and 90minutes in rush hour.
    If I'm without the car its at best 2 hours each way courtesy of public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

About 7 mins each way (or 15 if I've to drop my child to childcare)

Not bad eh?

Any more though, and my car would probaby collapse! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

15 minute walk

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coolguy

one hour each way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I was in a cab the other day as I was meeting a friend in Swords as it is half way between where he lives and I live. I mentioned that I could live too far out as the commute would kill me. He said the commutes aren't bad and he lived in Cavan and it only takes 50 minutes to get into Dublin. I laughed and said no way can you get into Dublin city in 50 minutes from Cavan and he said he could.
    Then it turns out he meant Whitehall at around 11am! I have met loads of people claiming short travel times in this manner. One person I know says her commute takes her 40 minutes yet it turns out her commute is 1 hour 20 minutes when you include waiting for the train and then walking to work and from the stations.
    So I would say you will get lots of people inaccurately stating travel times.

The better value for money houses in the middle of nowhere show their cost eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

zuutroy wrote: »
    Cycle FTW surely. I used to do Beaumont to the canal in 25 mins.

I will be soon enough, just have to get the bike up from home and de-rustify it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

2-5 mins, depends on traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

25 minute walk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Used to be 12 minutes, increased to 20-25 mins following the introduction of traffic lights just outside the hospital where I work, so there's usually a half-mile long tailback at the end of my journey. Can't understand why they were placed there, I've heard nothing but complaints about them since they were installed. Still, a Dublin commuter would laugh in my face if I told them my complaint!

Advertisement