Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shell To Sea

Options
  • 09-11-2007 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Saw them on the news again tonight....Will those twats ever give up? We are a Nation highly dependent on Oil/Gas etc, get over it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

shell to sea :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The-Rigger wrote: »
    shell to sea :confused:
    By the seashore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Steyr wrote: »
    Saw them on the news again tonight....Will those twats ever give up? We are a Nation highly dependent on Oil/Gas etc, get over it.

...what? Do you know why they're protesting?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Please read up on their campaign before you comment...
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=shell+to+sea&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Muggy Dev

Whatever the merits of their case,you have to wonder if the rest of us devoted half the energy of those guys in protest of the shambles that is our health sevice,perhaps our problems would´nt be so acute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jubus Kbannon you're not a fan are you? Hand in your Modship of Motors immediately!
    :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

Muggy Dev wrote: »
    Whatever the merits of their case,you have to wonder if the rest of us devoted half the energy of those guys in protest of the shambles that is our health sevice,perhaps our problems would´nt be so acute.

A good point. I think people should protest more - I don't know why we taking lying down all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Very very sore subject down here in the wild west, its gonna go ahead despite all the protesting i think, best of luck to them i say. If i lived that close to it i'd be standing in the wind and rain day after day fighting to protect my family too. fair play to them for trying anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Karoma wrote: »
    ...what? Do you know why they're protesting?

Maybe he does, and he doesn't agree with their point of view. You mightn't agree with him, but hey, he's also entitled to his point of view. Course, he wouldn't be entitled to it in Bangor Erris, either you support the Shell to Sea idiots or you shut the **** up. If you express an alternative view there you'll be subject to serious intimidation. Nice.
    Ever since the troubles ended and the Shinners don't have anything to protest about anymore these idiots are looking for any bandwagon to jump on. The local NIMBYs and the bussed in "idealists", a match made in heaven :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Maybe he does, and he doesn't agree with their point of view. You mightn't agree with him, but hey, he's also entitled to his point of view. Course, he wouldn't be entitled to it in Bangor Erris, either you support the Shell to Sea idiots or you shut the **** up. If you express an alternative view there you'll be subject to serious intimidation. Nice.
    Ever since the troubles ended and the Shinners don't have anything to protest about anymore these idiots are looking for any bandwagon to jump on. The local NIMBYs and the bussed in "idealists", a match made in heaven :rolleyes:
    Spent much time there, have you?
    I wasn't disagreeing with him - just questioning his position. From his post, he seemed to be of the impression that the protestors are anti-"oil/gas etc"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

They are breaking the law by intimidating the locals and blocking roads.There is protesting,and there is BREAKING THE LAW.The latter applying to Shell To Sea.It has been hijacked by the Shinners and anti-war protesters,a 'I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine' sort of thing....
    The Gardai are there to uphold law and order,as we have seen they have had to use force to do so.The majority of locals accepted the proposals but a minority hellbent on intimidation with the help of anti-globalisation/war protesters.If you look at it,most of the protesters are from different parts,with a small few actually from the 'affected' area..

eroo

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Red lorry yellow lorry.

Spent much time there, have you?
    I wasn't disagreeing with him - just questioning his position. From his post, he seemed to be of the impression that the protestors are anti-"oil/gas etc"...

Sorry, didn't mean to jump down your throat, but from your post I got the impression that you were implying he didn't know what he was on about.

And yes, I've spent a bit of time there, have very good friends living there that I visit regularly. Having seen what goes on locally, they're forced to keep their heads down and mouths shut and not express their true opinion. Shell to Sea really is a minority view in the area but their "tactics" mean there is no vocal opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

kbannon wrote: »

To be honest, the first few results are all blatant propaganda (yes, even the wiki entry;)).

I think that most people agree with some of the points of S2S, but the way they are trying to deal with it turns most people off and will definitely fail (so why bother?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

A lost cause . Shell are going to get their way .We are being globalized by everybody else. Oil and gas operated by Shell and owned by Shell .The Government gave the licence .The Irish People lose out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Thank you, couldnt have put it better.

From his post, he seemed to be of the impression that the protestors are anti-"oil/gas etc"...

Oh please.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Oh please.

Actually he had a point, your original post didn't inspire confidence in me that you'd wasted time actually wading through the incoherent hippie gibbering that surrounds them in order to form a reasoned and measured opinion on which to base your rants.

nesf wrote: »
    Actually he had a point, your original post didn't inspire confidence in me that you'd wasted time actually wading through the incoherent hippie gibbering that surrounds them in order to form a reasoned and measured opinion on which to base your rants.

Sorry if it came acrosse like that but i googled them fools and also was on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Muggy Dev wrote: »

Indeed. When you are 50+ miles from the nearest hospital that provides any sort of acute/Emergency servicing hospital, it's hard to give a rats about a health service that won't serve you when you're in dire need of it.

I don't agree with the tactics being employed by these characters, but I do have some sympathy for them.

For example, the road that services the plant is the best road in the area. Prior to the plant being built, you'd have to wait an age before a pothole (of which there were many) to be filled in. You'd also never, ever, see a Garda anywhere near the area. That said, there was little crime worth mentioning.

There are some genuine concerns to be expressed, but the crew being employed to do so are the wrong ones.

They are also the reason that Jerry Crowley lost his seat, which is a damn shame, he was an exceptionally good representative for that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

slang name for a snail in waterford " a shell to sea bukey "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I Stopped buying shell products when they had Irish people locked up. Adds up to about €3000/year home and car. I believe hitting their balance sheet is more effective than supporting the shinner element.
    I'm not against development but am against large corporations riding roughshod over local comunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

3 men arrested, one from Belfast,one from Dublin and one from Cork if i remember correctly......WTF??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

padi89 wrote: »
    3 men arrested, one from Belfast,one from Dublin and one from Cork if i remember correctly......WTF??:rolleyes:

Just wondering, were they members of Sein Fein?.

Mairt wrote: »
    Just wondering, were they members of Sein Fein?.

Now now Mairt, why would you say such a thing?? You know the Shinners would never get involved in that kind of shananigans! :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mike65 wrote: »
    Jubus Kbannon you're not a fan are you? Hand in your Modship of Motors immediately!
    I fully agree with the removal of the resources so my motor can get from A to B.
    I don't agree with our government effectively giving away these resources. I am also against the method design/route of this project and the fact that the high pressure pipe is in reasonable proximity to peoples homes.
    dotsman wrote: »
    To be honest, the first few results are all blatant propaganda (yes, even the wiki entry;)).

I think that most people agree with some of the points of S2S, but the way they are trying to deal with it turns most people off and will definitely fail (so why bother?).
    I agree but I was merely pointing out the the OP appeared to be misunderstanding their argument.
    I always believe that the hippies who do a lot of campaigning do a lot to harm the campaign (e.g. Glen of the Downs, Carrickmines, Tara) as they don't fit into our comfortable idea of what people should look like but at the same time, if they didn't do it there would be nobody else on the ground trying to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

2 stroke wrote: »
    I Stopped buying shell products when they had Irish people locked up. Adds up to about €3000/year home and car. I believe hitting their balance sheet is more effective than supporting the shinner element.
    I'm not against development but am against large corporations riding roughshod over local comunities.

Considering that last years profits were $25.44 billion, I don't think they'll miss your €3000. Plus, they'll be make up for it per week when the line is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Wouldn't call the protesters "twats" at all. Fair play to them for sticking with their principles and not giving up with all the pressure put on them from the Garda etc.

I for one are in support of their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

keen wrote: »
    Fair play to them for sticking with their principles and not giving up with all the pressure put on them from the Garda etc..

My problem is that while they have every right to protest and they should be supported in that, some of the things they did should have been punished severely. They tried to block a public road ffs, intimidated locals in favour of the project and similar crap. Protesting at the side of the road every day would have been fine, got the message across and kept the peace. Blocking the road or trying to drive a car through a garda cordon is the kind of antics that we could do without tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Most of the people who protest are not from the area. Many aren't even from Ireland, it's just rent a crowd of angry lefties

Advertisement