Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

Hey,

Got through the interview & the written test for the reserves & filled out the GR2 form putting in everyone in my family but I never met my father so obviously I left him out.

Now apparently I need his details or its a no go application.

I never knew him, he isn't on my birth cert, my mam & him weren't married, no contact between him & my mother & family for 20 years & now they want relevant details no one has!

I didn't think this would happen & it's a bit crushing for me as I've wanted to be a Guard since I was tiny & now because I never knew my dad & I don't have any relevant information I might not be able to do it!

Has this happened to anyone at all??

I honest to God did not think this was even going to be an issue when I applied!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

Jeanxx wrote: »
    Hey,

Got through the interview & the written test for the reserves & filled out the GR2 form putting in everyone in my family but I never met my father so obviously I left him out.

Now apparently I need his details or its a no go application.

I never knew him, he isn't on my birth cert, my mam & him weren't married, no contact between him & my mother & family for 20 years & now they want relevant details no one has!

I didn't think this would happen & it's a bit crushing for me as I've wanted to be a Guard since I was tiny & now because I never knew my dad & I don't have any relevant information I might not be able to do it!

Has this happened to anyone at all??

I honest to God did not think this was even going to be an issue when I applied!!

JeanXX

To be honest, what I would if I was in your situation is ring the garda reserve first in Dublin on 01 6662570 and tell them your situation eventhough you may have been told otherwise. Then at least they can guide you on what to do and you will have given them a heads up on your predicament.
    It shouldn't be a problem. Its too bad if it is and you can't get into the force just because you never knew your dad!!!

Try and not worry about it but I would definitely get guidance from them on what to do. They will probably tell you to leave blank in the form and maybe put a little note to say something like "Not known", contact them on this.

Cheer up!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

Thanks a million for the advice!
    Much appreciated!

The thing is I'm actually dealing with the garda reserve office about this & they know the situation & I've put not applicable down on the form! They told me that wasn't sufficient enough...
    :(

I have to ring them up tomorrow morning & tell them if I have the information of not.

I just don't think it would be very fair for me to not get through the background check all because I don't know my dad, it's a sensitive situation with my family too!
    It doesn't seem that something that they would do...but then again! :S

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hey as i in the informal meeting thread, i did my meeting yesterday with the superintendent............ Ive head that some Reserves are starting on the weekend 7/8 of june, does any one know if there are many who are satating on that weekend?? Also does anyone think ill be called before then for the medical ???;):confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Manwise Bumwell

whats the craic, just wondering, i applied for the garda reserve at the end of april and got a conformation email from publicjobs.ie whts the story about what happens after this? how long till i can go for an interview etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

You could be waiting a few months for a call for the interview or you could be one of the lucky one's and get a call over the next few weeks which is what has happened to some posters on here but as I said you could have a wait of a number of months,they will send you a letter with the time and date of your interview when the time for your interview comes along ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

whats the craic, just wondering, i applied for the garda reserve at the end of april and got a conformation email from publicjobs.ie whts the story about what happens after this? how long till i can go for an interview etc?

If substantial time has passed from when you applied they have been known to call people to see if they are still interested in applying or if they have changed their mind ... I'm currently waiting 6weeks and expect to be waiting the same again being honest ... It'll all happen in good time

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

kerry4sam wrote: »
    If substantial time has passed from when you applied they have been known to call people to see if they are still interested in applying or if they have changed their mind

Yep that's what they did with me after I was waiting 3 months for any sort of communication from them.
    They sent me out a letter asking me to fill in the interview form if I was still interested and from the time I filled that in I was waiting another 2 weeks for another letter from them giving me a date and time for my interview so you could be in the same boat ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

Maybe you should ring up or e-mail PAS. I applied on a wednesday and sent an e-mail off just asking what the wait would be like as it says 6 months on the website. I said I was going away for a good part of the summer (which I am) and that I didn't want to miss my interview if I was away. I received an e-mail back on the monday asking me to fill out the interview form, and three weeks later I sat my interview! So maybe it helps just to get in there and make a few enquiries!! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kilkcat

I'd love to know the anwer to that question too, but I presume the lack of posts is because few people hear are in the reserve or are full time Garda. I'am not a Garda by the way, but I did put my name in the hat when the recruitment started last year. I have now gotton notification of interviews in my area (Louth/Meath) and I have to decide what to do next. I may well fail at any of the hurdles, but I might give it a go. We'll see. I've also read a lot of either neutral or negative comments further on this board site, but it must be remembered the reserve is new and should at least be given a chance to prove itself.

But has anyone applied for the reseres and been throught the interview, exam etc ? I would love to know what its like and what kind of things they ask. Do you have to emphasis your charity or community envolvement ? Do they show you a video of a dramitised crime and you have to detail from memory what you say ? What is the physical exam like ??? All these things.

I'am 34 and I wear glasses, but within the limits. But I'd love to know what is involved in not only the interview, but the training. The last post mentioned that the training is much longer that the specified hours, and this I can believe. But does anyone have any insight or advice for someone thinking of going for the interview ?? Positive feedback please, no 'don't do it' kind of posts please.

Ian in Louth.

iandromiskin,my son is goin into Templemore 4 phase 1 of Garda Reserve in June.now he went 4 full-time garda b4 that and failed,but he's on the trail of full time again.interview the same i think,hope he'l make it this time in2 full-time guards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Manwise Bumwell

CO19 wrote: »
    You could be waiting a few months for a call for the interview or you could be one of the lucky one's and get a call over the next few weeks which is what has happened to some posters on here but as I said you could have a wait of a number of months,they will send you a letter with the time and date of your interview when the time for your interview comes along ;) .

cheers thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

:D Hey i met the superintendent last tuesday, how long is normailly the wait to get a call from HQ bout the/ Medical test??;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Stephen321

Is their anyone who got word of their medical yet that done their interview a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iceman_kill

I did my interview and report writing a few weeks ago and I havent heard anything since. How long does it usually take for them to send out the background clearance form to fill in??

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Call the gr office, you should have an answer in about a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iceman_kill

Sorry I meant to say that I got the result to say that I had passed the interview and report writing a few weeks ago but haven't been sent the background clearance form yet, it used to be available on the PAS website but it's not there anymore. Is it normal to have to wait this long to receive the form? Thanks for any replies

still ring the office, ask why seems slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

Hi marymulr, I'm one of those waiting awhile now for clearance and a medical, started this whole process back in Feb 07!! Don't know if your allowed to say here, perhaps send me a PM just in case, but when in June does the next course start? On hols begining, so probably my luck I'll get called up then, if I pass the medical that is.

The GR course started 7th/8th June. I had my med in the phoenix park on 27th May but my app was deferred as the consultant wanted info off my doc. The info wasnt passed over in time so I wasnt cleared for the June course. Next one is 26/27 July but i'm still waiting on the med results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 donal1234

has anyone from Donegal got through to the nexy stage.I passed my interview and exam which was confirmed on 21/5/08 but I have heard nothing since.I would like to hear from anyone about this and does anyone know if wearing glasses is ok .donal1234:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

just got email from reserves this morning, and emailed back my completed GR2 form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Scania580

Anyone that has applied to the reserves tell me what evidence of leaving cert is one required to produce!I did mine in 1984,but got an e in maths.
    do they ask for a copy of your cert?,I passed english,irish ect....
    Will i have to go and sit maths again or will the fact that i have a senior college cert get me a by?All suggestions appreciated!

I do not have my leaving cert at all as do others, there is an exemption available as long as you have other suitable education completed, there is also a form to fill in after you hilight this, I am nearly finished my training also, if you go fulltime it will be different but you need to check that.

Thanks for the info! im 41 so the regulars are out age limit is 35!
    Still need to get lazer done and have to find another job than taxi driving ,which is ok, because its the worst job in the world!!
    Did the entrance exame for psni, but didnt get high enough score.Always wanted to be in the garda though!Feel a little peeeved though, feel id have done a good job for them but they wouldnt accept lazer when i was in the age bracket!!! Not to worry, delighted to hear your in! Id like to give it a go!:)

Ive just filled out and sent an online application for GR. It said it takes 6 months before your called for interview!Is that it?........
    Never asked me any questions about education or present employment....just asked !Do you meet requirements!!!.
    How long were you waiting after your inital on line application?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

I applied in October 2006, Did the written exam and interview August 2007, completed all GR forms as requested etc had interview with local Garda Sgt in March 2008 and am still waiting for security clearance and medical date ... You really have to be patient with this !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Story1970 wrote: »
    I applied in October 2006, Did the written exam and interview August 2007, completed all GR forms as requested etc had interview with local Garda Sgt in March 2008 and am still waiting for security clearance and medical date ... You really have to be patient with this !!

WHAT!!!

I applied in April 2007 and began training in October 2007. That is crazy. Even waiting a year to do the interview. They must of lost your applicaton or something, and the way it seems they lost it more than once..

If they havent contacted you at any stage in the process for a long time call them and check progress, I had to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

marymulr wrote: »
    The GR course started 7th/8th June. I had my med in the phoenix park on 27th May but my app was deferred as the consultant wanted info off my doc. The info wasnt passed over in time so I wasnt cleared for the June course. Next one is 26/27 July but i'm still waiting on the med results.

At long last I received word today that I have passed the vetting process and have been given a number of dates for medical testing. Hopefully marymuir we will meet up on the 26th July, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I applied last night so just going to sit and wait it out now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    I applied last night so just going to sit and wait it out now

Yup, you'll be waiting awhile

Advertisement