Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time YOU actualy did anything!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Yeah taxi drivers are great people. In fact, just the other day, a taxi swerved across two lanes of traffic just to pick up a fare.

...and caused a car in the left lane (car A) to slam on the breaks, causing the car behind (car b) to crash into car a, and car c to run into car b. Naturally the taxi driver didn't want to run up the clock so in consideration for the fare, they left the scene.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Because the thread isn't about taxi fares ( which are set by an approved body, not the drivers! ) So anyone who wants to 1st line bring in something negative ( also very off topic ) is a begrudger of some kind..

That doesn't make him a begrudger.
    2. To give or expend with reluctance: begrudged every penny spent. ( fits exactly!)

He's not reluctant to give anything. He is merely stating that he thinks something is overpriced. If someone offered you a penny sweet for a €1000 and you said it was a rip off, would you be a begrudger? No.

Also you come on here and say
    Well, when DID you last do anything for charity and I don't mean threw a few cents change into a box as an afterthought! or are you the type of begrudger that thinks " Feckin Taxi Drivers snarling up the streets again?"

This strikes me as a thread started by someone to basically say how brilliant they are. It sounds quite aggresive and antagonistic. If you had just quoted the article and asked "What charitable deeds have you done?" and left out all the "begrudger" and the "I don't mean threw a few cents change into a box as an afterthought" comments I (and probably others) would have given better answers.

As for the stupid responses, it's after hours. What do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

He's not reluctant to give anything. He is merely stating that he thinks something is overpriced. If someone offered you a penny sweet for a €1000 and you said it was a rip off, would you be a begrudger? No.

No I wouldn't call him a begrudger, unless the topic wasn't about sweetshops
    This strikes me as a thread started by someone to basically say how brilliant they are. It sounds quite aggresive and antagonistic. If you had just quoted the article and asked "What charitable deeds have you done?" and left out all the "begrudger" and the "I don't mean threw a few cents change into a box as an afterthought" comments I (and probably others) would have given better answers.

I would expect people to have a little cop on, the title you can put up are limited in size, therefore they have to be attention grabbing. If you want to be pedantic about it then the title probably would have read along the lines of
    "Heres an Idea for raising charity funds. What ideas have you done or thought about doing to raise charity funds, or do you not give a feck about anyone more unfortunate than yourself"

by the way to clarify matters the begrudger reference ( OP ) was in relation to people complaining about O'Connell St. being fecked up by taxis, much the same as people complain about "chugging"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No I wouldn't call him a begrudger, unless the topic wasn't about sweetshops

Firstly, why does the topic matter? If you think a €1000 penny sweet is a rip off, why does it matter if you are talking about sweet shops or not?

I would expect people to have a little cop on, the title you can put up are limited in size, therefore they have to be attention grabbing. If you want to be pedantic about it then the title probably would have read along the lines of
    "Heres an Idea for raising charity funds. What ideas have you done or thought about doing to raise charity funds, or do you not give a feck about anyone more unfortunate than yourself"

Like I said you could have just made the topic something like "Charitable deeds" or even "When was the last time you did something charitable?". Capitalising the "YOU" is placing emphasis on the word. The "anything" at the end of the word makes it seem like you are accusing everyone of never doing anything. By the way I wasn't even commenting on the title with my last post, I was commenting on your opening post which is only limited to 10,000 characters (I believe).
    by the way to clarify matters the begrudger reference ( OP ) was in relation to people complaining about O'Connell St. being fecked up by taxis, much the same as people complain about "chugging"

This is not begrudging though. How does complaining about something make someone a begrudger? You could hate chugging and still give regularly to charity.

I was commenting on your opening post which is only limited to 10,000 characters (I believe).
    Well I suggest you go to specsavers the word count is 454 give or take!
    Capitalising the "YOU" is placing emphasis on the word.
    Yes, so when did YOU do anything charitable or are you like a lot of the tiger economy society not concerned as it doesn't directly affect you?
    This is not begrudging though. How does complaining about something make someone a begrudger? You could hate chugging and still give regularly to charity.

I suppose you mean that if your favourite program is booted off by some telethon, comic relief or children in need show and you moan then you're not a begrudger.... or am I mis reading what your trying to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Spook, you are missing ACs point entirely. You post title is aggressive. Most people in the course of their work/play/life give a little to charity. Not all of us expect a big old pat on the back for it though, which from your posts, it seems your looking for.

Imo, if your job makes you so annoyed, constantly it appears, then change it. You obviously don't like customers, so get another job.

I hear GOAL are looking for help...

sueme wrote: »
    Spook, you are missing ACs point entirely. You post title is aggressive. Most people in the course of their work/play/life give a little to charity. Not all of us expect a big old pat on the back for it though, which from your posts, it seems your looking for.

Imo, if your job makes you so annoyed, constantly it appears, then change it. You obviously don't like customers, so get another job.

I hear GOAL are looking for help...

Beg to differ most people give feck all to charity during their work/play/life if it was the case then charites wouldn't need to keep twisting your arm with advertising campaigns.

The fact is that unless its brought to peoples attention once in a while then most people become compacant and take the easy option of looking the other way

Well I suggest you go to specsavers the word count is 454 give or take!

I actually have gone to specsavers. Where does it say anywhere on this site that the word limit for a post is 454 words. When I said 10,000 characters (characters and words are two completely different things) I was referring to a post I seen quite some time ago so my memory is hazy of what the exact figure was. I've tried searching for it but can't find it.

Yes, so when did YOU do anything charitable or are you like a lot of the tiger economy society not concerned as it doesn't directly affect you?

Well one definition of charity is giving to those in need. If you use this definition then I do a lot of charitable deeds. Just check some of my posts in the laptop forum. There's loads of threads there from people needing help looking for a laptop and I've helped on as many as I can. This is just one of the many things I do in my day to help people out.

Saying that I think when you say charity you are referring to a charity organisation. I give €20 a month to concern despite the fact I haven't had a job for the past two months. I have no other source of income and I'm putting myself through college as well. So this money is eating into my savings.

When the asian tsunami disaster happened a few Christmases ago I gave a weeks wages to one of the charities. That was about a €450 paycheck that could have went into my bank account and was probably a third of my wages for that month. Are you happy now? I didn't feel the need to start a thread about all this accusing everyone else of being a begrudger.
    I suppose you mean that if your favourite program is booted off by some telethon, comic relief or children in need show and you moan then you're not a begrudger.... or am I mis reading what your trying to say

That's exactly what I mean. If my favourite program gets booted off tv by a telethon, how does that make me reluctant to give money to a charity?

if it was the case then charites wouldn't need to keep twisting your arm with advertising campaigns.

Charities are never going to stop advertising. The reason they advertise is to get more money. That's like saying coke are still advertising because we don't buy enough coke.
    The fact is that unless its brought to peoples attention once in a while then most people become compacant and take the easy option of looking the other way

You didn't start a thread reminding people to give to charity, you started a thread about how great you were for giving to charity and how everyone else is a begrudger because they don't (even though you don't know this for a fact).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

AlmightyCushion, I think you're being extremely unfair on Spook_ie.

You've been jumping to conclusions about how he started this thread to accuse everyone of being a begrudger. My view is that he wanted to see what charitable acts other people had done?

Thats the way most people have taken this thread. I don't see the need for your line of argument.

Myself, I volunteer to meet an elderly guy to play board games with him once a week. I give a few hundred to charity a few times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭hotshots85

the guy started the thread to ask a question WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR CHARITY and it seems that because he is a taxi driver and that they do their bit posters have come down on him what if a student from belvedere who do the 24 hour sleep out had of posted the same thread he would have got the "well done old boy " .in the ireland we live in today we are a shower of begrugers what is it with joe public and taxi drivers .id like to see half of you,s give up a day of your working week to help the less fortunate .he made no secret of the fact that he,s a taxi driver and why should he .im going off the topic here but all the guy asked was WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR CHARITY not to be slated for being a taxi driver

vorbis wrote: »

You've been jumping to conclusions about how he started this thread to accuse everyone of being a begrudger. My view is that he wanted to see what charitable acts other people had done?

Thats the way most people have taken this thread. I don't see the need for your line of argument.

Myself, I volunteer to meet an elderly guy to play board games with him once a week. I give a few hundred to charity a few times a year.

Accuse is probably the wrong word and if I used it my bad. Imply would have been a better word to use. His attitude seems to be "I'm great, look at all what I've done, you do nothing". His opening post was in my opinion aggresive. I may be wrong but it's just the way I seen it and I wasn't the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

vorbis wrote: »

hotshots85 wrote: »
    the guy started the thread to ask a question WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR CHARITY and it seems that because he is a taxi driver and that they do their bit posters have come down on him what if a student from belvedere who do the 24 hour sleep out had of posted the same thread he would have got the "well done old boy " .in the ireland we live in today we are a shower of begrugers what is it with joe public and taxi drivers .id like to see half of you,s give up a day of your working week to help the less fortunate .he made no secret of the fact that he,s a taxi driver and why should he .im going off the topic here but all the guy asked was WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR CHARITY not to be slated for being a taxi driver

Read the first post again. It's not simply asking what charitable things you've done. It's trying to get the point across that taxi drivers aren't the greedy gits they're sometimes portrayed to be. But instead of doing the adult thing and simply pointing it out, he acted like a condescending prick. He wasn't asking if you've done anything, he's telling us what he's done.

Beg to differ most people give feck all to charity during their work/play/life
    :rolleyes: prove it. I can just as quickly say: taxi drivers, as a group, give less to charity than any other profession - but it doesn't make it true.
    if it was the case then charites wouldn't need to keep twisting your arm with advertising campaigns.
    Wrong, while there is wealth, there will be poverty, and there will be charities

Interestingly if you look at the not dissimilar thread running.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055178260
    That you get pretty much the same kind of polorisation of society.
    Those that "do" something
    Those that "don't" do anything
    Those that don't like to say if they have done anything at all but view it as a bad show to make out your doing something that they are not.

As I said an interesting reflection on society and the Tiger economy

Those that don't like to say if they have done anything at all but view it as a bad show to make out your doing something that they are not.

How do you know that they have not done anything for charity when they don't say? You seem to presume that because someone doesn't go on about all the things they've done means that they haven't done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

How do you know that they have not done anything for charity when they don't say? You seem to presume that because someone doesn't go on about all the things they've done means that they haven't done it.

I think that's the nub of the issue. There's nothing that mars one's view of a good deed more than someone looking for adulation for it or being condescending toward others from their newly elevated moral ground.

humbert wrote: »
    I think that's the nub of the issue. There's nothing that mars one's view of a good deed more than someone looking for adulation for it or being condescending toward others from their newly elevated moral ground.

Maybe therein lies the problem, that the majority of people are too thin skinned/ overly sensitive to actualy answer the question. Instead of which they come up with all sorts of excuses such as people being self congratulatory, looking for adulation, on a moral high horse etc. It just wouldn't occur to those people that someone can say something in a brutal honest fashion and expect it to be taken as that, however I digress.
    Anyway Why, should people feel the need to hide from other people that they have given to charity or done something like walked Hadrian's Wall? Why is it bad form to mention doing these things to try and raise interest in charities overall. If your lad/lass is doing the MS Readathon this month is it wrong to seek out sponsorship from neighbours, near neighbours, strangers on the street. To seek out sponsorship by it's very nature means telling people what you are doing/going to do for charity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Maybe therein lies the problem, that the majority of people are too thin skinned/ overly sensitive to actualy answer the question. Instead of which they come up with all sorts of excuses such as people being self congratulatory, looking for adulation, on a moral high horse etc. It just wouldn't occur to those people that someone can say something in a brutal honest fashion and expect it to be taken as that, however I digress.

Whatever about saying it in a simple honest fashion, I have the highest respect for someone who does a good deed for their own personal reasons, whether it be the warm fuzzy feelings it brings them or the sense of satisfaction the feel from having made a difference.

However I don't respect the person that does it for adulation or to achieve moral superiority over others. Which is the impression the opening post of this thread gives.

Maybe therein lies the problem, that the majority of people are too thin skinned/ overly sensitive to actualy answer the question.
    ...or that they don't need the attention or feel the need to explain themselves to you or anyone else.
    Instead of which they come up with all sorts of excuses such as people being self congratulatory, looking for adulation, on a moral high horse etc.
    Self praise is no praise. People give to charity for many reasons. Most don't do it for praise.
    Anyway Why, should people feel the need to hide from other people that they have given to charity or done something like walked Hadrian's Wall?
    Humility. It's a far more attractive a personal quality than arrogance.
    If your lad/lass is doing the MS Readathon this month is it wrong to seek out sponsorship from neighbours, near neighbours, strangers on the street. To seek out sponsorship by it's very nature means telling people what you are doing/going to do for charity
    It depends on how you go about seeking that charity. Would it be wrong to seek that charity with a gun?

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    It depends on how you go about seeking that charity. Would it be wrong to seek that charity with a gun?

Going on some of the replies you might get better results using a gun to collect!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Beg to differ most people give feck all to charity during their work/play/life if it was the case then charites wouldn't need to keep twisting your arm with advertising campaigns.

i give between 6 and 60 hours a week to a voluntary group in my area, depending on circumstances.

going on how much i get paid for my actual job, i reckon my time is pretty valuable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Because the thread isn't about taxi fares ( which are set by an approved body, not the drivers! ) So anyone who wants to 1st line bring in something negative ( also very off topic ) is a begrudger of some kind..

I don't think my point is a particularly complicated one.

You're highlighting the fact that some taxi drivers rode through town with some kids, and raised some cash for them.

Then you seem to use this as evidence that those who complain about taxi drivers are begrudgers.

You're point would be fine, if people's main gripe about taxi drivers was that they don't do any charity work.

But it's not. People complain about dirty taxis, poor value for money and poor service.

The fact that ambrosia donated some money to a childrens' charity doesn't change that.

I really don't see where the difficulty with that point is.

Maybe someone could enlighten me?

Well lets correct some misconceptions.

1 The taxi drivers do not raise money for the children, the drivers take the children on an outing.

2 The fact that your very 1st post on the subject
    don't see how the fact that some taxi drivers brought some kids through town collecting cash doesn't mean that fares aren't too high and aren't good value for money. There are still rip-off merchants out there, regardless of what happened today.
    Leads me to question are you attacking the thread for telling about the outing or automaticly having a "pop" at taxi fares and your conception that there are rip-off merchants out there. In the context of the thread taxi fares and rip off merchants have no place at all. As there is no fare involved and ( I feel ) even the likes of you would find it hard to say that the taximen were ripping anyone off.
    Of course if you have some proof that taximen were ripping off people on a charity outing then feel free to contact the Garda and pass it on to them.

You're point would be fine, if people's main gripe about taxi drivers was that they don't do any charity work.

But it's not. People complain about dirty taxis, poor value for money and poor service.
    Again in the context of the thread of What have You done this point has no relevance, IF the topic had been Taximen wash cars to raise money for charity, then it might have,but it isn't.

Hence seeing as every post from you in this thread has seen fit to try and introduce some negativity towards taxidrivers in general I still call you a begrudger or maybe you're just a troll, you decide which one you are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Slightly off topic, but once a friend of mine was collecting for charity in 4th or 5th year and a certain Irish comedian, entertainment show judge and sindo panelist walked past. my mate said the usual line 'would you like to help....' and said person told him outright to go **** himself. The lads collecting weren't meant to be in one specific spot or anything, so about 3 or 4 of them followed him from O'Connell Street to Wexford Street in Dublin, standing around him and shaking their buckets and shouting. Very immature but if he's gonna be such a rude prick he deserves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

1 The taxi drivers do not raise money for the children, the drivers take the children on an outing.

Leads me to question are you attacking the thread for telling about the outing or automaticly having a "pop" at taxi fares and your conception that there are rip-off merchants out there. In the context of the thread taxi fares and rip off merchants have no place at all. As there is no fare involved and ( I feel ) even the likes of you would find it hard to say that the taximen were ripping anyone off.
    Of course if you have some proof that taximen were ripping off people on a charity outing then feel free to contact the Garda and pass it on to them.

Again in the context of the thread of What have You done this point has no relevance, IF the topic had been Taximen wash cars to raise money for charity, then it might have,but it isn't.

Hence seeing as every post from you in this thread has seen fit to try and introduce some negativity towards taxidrivers in general I still call you a begrudger or maybe you're just a troll, you decide which one you are

I don't believe you can't understand the point I was making. I think we need to call it a day, mate. I cant go on having my brain fried like this :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Anyway Why, should people feel the need to hide from other people that they have given to charity or done something like walked Hadrian's Wall? Why is it bad form to mention doing these things to try and raise interest in charities overall. If your lad/lass is doing the MS Readathon this month is it wrong to seek out sponsorship from neighbours, near neighbours, strangers on the street. To seek out sponsorship by it's very nature means telling people what you are doing/going to do for charity

To impress other people with an act of charity (since you feel the need to do so) would probably require two key ingredients. Firstly a significant level of personal sacrifice. The absolute value of what your giving is not important but its value to you - the amount you are loosing. Secondly a disinterest in whether anyone else is aware of your sacrifice. This demonstrates or confirms that you are not ego motivated in your sacrifice but act out of empathy or a sense that every one else's wellbeing is as important as your own.
    You fail on both counts. Taking kids for a spin in your taxi is such a derisory offering its hard to know whether your actually joking or being serious. Your need to shout about this to an audience and seek acknowledgment and congratulation for it shows that your motives centre around YOU. Your need to feel like, and for other people to see you as a Good and Charitable man. Your satisfaction with yourself, your sense of self congratulation are sickening.

If you put the Mother Teresa delusions aside and focused a bit more on cutting down on the illegal u-turns, bringing your taxi to sudden, hazard lighted, standstill illegally on a public road to pick up fares who you will subsequently attempt to take on a circuitous route to fraudulently extract as much money as possible from them, we would all be better off.

knird evol wrote: »
    If you put the Mother Teresa delusions aside and focused a bit more on cutting down on the illegal u-turns, bringing your taxi to sudden, hazard lighted, standstill illegally on a public road to pick up fares who you will subsequently attempt to take on a circuitous route to fraudulently extract as much money as possible from them, we would all be better off.

Drop the trolling and I might answer you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Drop the trolling and I might answer you

You can't answer me because you know its true. Anyone that cares to drive a couple of hundred meters in Dublin can observe taxi driver behavior.

• Advertisement

knird evol wrote: »
    You can't answer me because you know its true. Anyone that cares to drive a couple of hundred meters in Dublin can observe taxi driver behavior.

I'm not answering you because it's feck all to do with the thread, you want to have a go about me driving a taxi then start a thread.....

TROLL I NAME THEE AS ONE
    AND CASTETH YOU OUT AMONG THE SWINE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement