Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time YOU actualy did anything!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Back in '03 I took 10 days unpaid leave to do volunteer work at the Special Olympics World Games. I was not a member of boards back then, but I wonder how many of my 30,000 fellow volunteers thought to start a thread about how great they were ?

I say fair play to anyone who does anything for charity. And to those who do not, thats their business.
    and I don't mean threw a few cents change into a box as an afterthought!

and i still throw spare change into those box's, miserable, tight git that I am !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I taught young Vietnamese orphans to speak english there a few months back...

God help them. :D:p

nah good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Well, when DID you last do anything for charity and I don't mean threw a few cents change into a box as an afterthought! or are you the type of begrudger that thinks " Feckin Taxi Drivers snarling up the streets again?"

Okay Spook,
    You've managed to take a very positive article and turn it into a completely negative discussion, well done. :rolleyes:

Re the event, fair play to the taxi drivers for this annual outing.

Maybe I missed it but did you actually say you were one of the 700?
    If so, fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Eh, personally I give 4 hours of my time every week to a children's charity. I haven't felt the need to start a thread about it looking for congratulations though. Fair play for doing something but the charity isn't there to be a PR stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You are all so great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

So the taxi drivers got paid? Am I wrong in assuming that the drivers each got a share of the €11500? Its not really volunteering or charity then, youd think one free day wouldn't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Back in 6th year i did the sleep out outside the GPO before christmas, cant remember what the final figure we raised was but it was considerable enough. some experience though, you certainly do meet some characters when you sleep on O'Connell Street for 2 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TPD wrote: »
    So the taxi drivers got paid? Am I wrong in assuming that the drivers each got a share of the €11500? Its not really volunteering or charity then, youd think one free day wouldn't hurt.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Back in 6th year i did the sleep out outside the GPO before christmas, cant remember what the final figure we raised was but it was considerable enough. some experience though, you certainly do meet some characters when you sleep on O'Connell Street for 2 days!

I saw people doing that one Christmas in Limerick. Looked like something I'd like to do but they looked freezing, it was a really cold Christmas that year. I threw them a couple of quid for their troubles so it wasn't all bad.

I have run some 3 mile races for the IHCPT and Debra Ireland. Not much you might say but I'm a fat lazy bastward, so 3 miles is a lot. I've also walked on fire for People in Need. That was worth it for the experience alone

jor el wrote: »
    I saw people doing that one Christmas in Limerick. Looked like something I'd like to do but they looked freezing, it was a really cold Christmas that year. I threw them a couple of quid for their troubles so it wasn't all bad.
    It's pretty hard one of the nights, cause you have to fast for 24 of the 48 hours. It's very rewarding though, especially when some chap comes up at 3 in the morning to tell you how Fr. Peter McVerry and his shelter saved his life and was effectively his dad, and that he's now totally clean, working and enjoying a night out at christmas like everyone else. This guy went and bought a box of nutrigrain bars for the lads and said it was all he could think of to give back, and that at least he knew pretty much none of the money was going to administration or anything. When i get a bit of money, i.e. when i'm no longer a student, i intend to give regularly to this particular charity, it's probably the most hard-working organisation combating homelessness in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

3 cheers and a big smiley:D for all you do-gooders, hip hip ho-fckin-ray, let me look and see if I have a big shiny medal to award ye, mother Teresas

eldeabroad wrote: »
    3 cheers and a big smiley:D for all you do-gooders, hip hip ho-fckin-ray, let me look and see if I have a big shiny medal to award ye, mother Teresas
    How about ya smoke my pubes, ya sarcastic fúck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eldeabroad wrote: »

That's not very charitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I don't see how the fact that some taxi drivers brought some kids through town collecting cash doesn't mean that fares aren't too high and aren't good value for money. There are still rip-off merchants out there, regardless of what happened today.

Unless Spook is making another point, which I've missed altogether.

The general used to give nice things to the poor in his locality, but I wouldn't trust him not to rip me off :P

Well considering that the majority of the thread is about charitable work etc. With the odd insult, pedant etc. I suppose it is to be expected that we have yet another begrudger alert!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

griffdaddy wrote: »

I did something similar last year except it was outside Connelly station and we weren't collecting for charity, we just got kicked out of my friends student accommodation where we were supposed to be staying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well considering that the majority of the thread is about charitable work etc. With the odd insult, pedant etc. I suppose it is to be expected that we have yet another begrudger alert!

How does complaining about prices make him a begrudger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I don't even know what a begrudger is in that context. What exactly is it that I'm begrudging you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Whilst visiting the Iveagh Hostel recently on a fact finding tour I unloaded a growler in the jacks of a fcukin porridgy consistency and planted a 10 Euro note deep into her.

Checked later and the growler was still intact but the note was gone!!!!

Now thats charity for you!!!

How does complaining about prices make him a begrudger?

Because the thread isn't about taxi fares ( which are set by an approved body, not the drivers! ) So anyone who wants to 1st line bring in something negative ( also very off topic ) is a begrudger of some kind..
    1. To envy the possession or enjoyment of: She begrudged him his youth. See Synonyms at envy.
    2. To give or expend with reluctance: begrudged every penny spent. ( fits exactly!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Defensive would we !

You seem to be useing this act of charity to have a go at everybody who has ever had a gripe with taxi drivers, while indulging in a bit of self promotion. You did a good deed fair play, have I ever done any good deeds ? Yes I can think of several. What were they ? Never mind I know what I did and don't need the approbration of the internet, I also have no wish to ask anybody else what they have done. Help/don't help it's up to you but their is no need to make a song and dance about it or to provoke others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Because the thread isn't about taxi fares

No, it's about you trying to belittle people because you did ONE good deed. So why should others take that kind of crap from you?

Defensive would we !

You seem to be useing this act of charity to have a go at everybody who has ever had a gripe with taxi drivers, while indulging in a bit of self promotion. You did a good deed fair play, have I ever done any good deeds ? Yes I can think of several. What were they ? Never mind I know what I did and don't need the approbration of the internet, I also have no wish to ask anybody else what they have done. Help/don't help it's up to you but their is no need to make a song and dance about it or to provoke others.

And if someone were having a go at you, your job or whatever, would you not defend it/them. The thread is asking what have you done for charity not what gripes have you against taxis/taxi drivers! or is that too simple for people to understand..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

there's a lot of smug in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

And if someone were having a go at you, your job or whatever, would you not defend it/them. The thread is asking what have you done for charity not what gripes have you against taxis/taxi drivers! or is that too simple for people to understand..

but no one had a go at you you begun the thread thusly.
    Well, when DID you last do anything for charity and I don't mean threw a few cents change into a box as an afterthought! or are you the type of begrudger that thinks " Feckin Taxi Drivers snarling up the streets again?

If that is not meant to incite a negative reaction what is it meant to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

tallaght01 wrote:
    I don't even know what a begrudger is in that context. What exactly is it that I'm begrudging you?
    A living, what do you think he is, some kind of charity? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

Well, when DID you last do anything for charity and I don't mean threw a few cents change into a box as an afterthought! or are you the type of begrudger that thinks " Feckin Taxi Drivers snarling up the streets again?"

I think once you start throwing the fact that you did a charitable act into other people's faces, then it's no longer a charitable act.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spook_ie

but no one had a go at you you begun the thread thusly.

Quote:
    Well, when DID you last do anything for charity and I don't mean threw a few cents change into a box as an afterthought! or are you the type of begrudger that thinks " Feckin Taxi Drivers snarling up the streets again?

If that is not meant to incite a negative reaction what is it meant to do?

That would all be fine if the posts were about charity etc. However the posts are tending to the usual "taxi driver scum of the earth, how dare they have the nerve to even use a computer" view

for the record...
    I don't see how the fact that some taxi drivers brought some kids through town collecting cash doesn't mean that fares aren't too high and aren't good value for money. There are still rip-off merchants out there, regardless of what happened today.
    I hope the kids kept a good eye on the meter and the route taken. You can't trust those bast@rds.
    I gave a taxi driver a tip one morning, "Have a shower and brush your teeth before you start work."

Now if people would like to get back on topic, I'll ask you all another question " what ( if anything at all ) are you planning to do for charity, with the Xmas season and all that coming up?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sMILIE

last month volunteered selling badges for a day for juvenille arthritis
    same for autism selling bears
    not much nd dont rele care about those charities

but im starting to volunteer at an animal sanctuary this thursday =]=] cant wait--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

Why should people help people, it only wastes time that could be spent enjoying their own life or improving it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

come on spook. stop ripping people off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement