Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Number ambiguity!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BoB the 7th

oleras wrote: »
    Like Tesco, one should not have to demand a receipt, if all drivers were above board, eg. paying tax on all income they would issue a receipt to every customer ![/QUOTE/] Roffles u need to read the Taxi Regulators website b4 u talk trash.;) They changed the regulations a while back. You musn't hv heard...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

duurrrrp.

Please do not use text speak.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Taxi drivers are concerned about our growing litter problem? Is that why they pay a capped income tax, which would be considered peanuts for most PAYE'rs??

No, I think you will find that I'm more concerned that I don't have to pay for people littering with paper directly traceable ( and accountable! ) to me.....

Also what capped income tax would that be? Having recently filed my assesment it would be nce to know that I can cap my tax.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

er....myself and my friends all text each other the taxi drivers number when we get in the car, which i have to laugh at 'cos what can they do but we do it anyway

its up there with text me when you get home safe when in reality your mates have probably passed out unconscience by the time you get home

but you do what you have to do to make yourself feel safer about getting in to a car with a complete stranger, something we were brought up not to do

irishbird wrote: »
    er....myself and my friends all text each other the taxi drivers number when we get in the car, which i have to laugh at 'cos what can they do but we do it anyway

its up there with text me when you get home safe when in reality your mates have probably passed out unconscience by the time you get home

but you do what you have to do to make yourself feel safer about getting in to a car with a complete stranger, something we were brought up not to do

And I don't blame you at all, might not save your skin if your raped / assaulted or murdered but at least you'll have given an odds on chance that the guy gets caught before doing it again, and as an afterthought if you told him that you had texted the number to a friend he might have second thoughts about commiting the deed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

irishbird wrote: »

There ya go people, take a leaf from Irishbird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Quantify what you mean by a lot? 10%,20%,30% more than that, then give a source or are you just picking figures from the air?
    I didn't mention figures at all. You did. The Monk was a taxi driver when he got out of prison. There are other lower profile criminals I have heard of people being driven by.

If you really want a figure then I would say more than two. Maybe no more than in other professions, but this type of transaction is unique. Hence the vulnerability of both driver and passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BoB the 7th

If ur all so concerned why dont u just stop using Taxi's. You cld get ur OH 2 pick u up. Or be the designated driver. Get the last bus/dart home. Or take the nightlink. Drink in ur local and walk home... Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What?

ballooba wrote: »
    I didn't mention figures at all. You did. The Monk was a taxi driver when he got out of prison. There are other lower profile criminals I have heard of people being driven by.

If you really want a figure then I would say more than two. Maybe no more than in other professions, but this type of transaction is unique. Hence the vulnerability of both driver and passenger.

No what you said was
    Yes, many of the people in your profession are criminals. I cannot see why you would have a problem with someone saying that. I didn't say "all taxi drivers are criminals" or "most taxi drivers are criminals". It's a simple fact that a lot of taxi drivers are criminals

I'm just asking you to quantify and qualify the statement, the only quantative part so far is that you believe less than 50% are criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

By criminal you mean have served time? In which case just to clarify that's almost 1 in 2 taxi drivers have a record??

That's surely extremely high by any standard of job/profession ???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

By criminal you mean have served time? In which case just to clarify that's almost 1 in 2 taxi drivers have a record??

WTF?! Where are you getting this from? 50% of taxi drivers have criminal records?

Those figures must have come from the same survey that said a third of all Irish males between 15 & 44 (or something) own a hair straightener. Complete & utter bullshít.

No what you said was
    I know exactly what I said.
    I'm just asking you to quantify and qualify the statement, the only quantative part so far is that you believe less than 50% are criminals.
    I never claimed to be able to quantify my statement. You're the one who wants to qunatify it. Not me. If you want figures on how many taxi drivers have criminal records then ask the Gardai.

Of course many taxi drivers are criminals. There are many criminals in all walks of life. There are even solicitors under investigation at the moment for alleged crimes. The difference is that getting into a car with someone you don't know puts you in a vulnerable position.

Of course many taxi drivers are criminals. There are many criminals in all walks of life. There are even solicitors under investigation at the moment for alleged crimes. The difference is that getting into a car with someone you don't know puts you in a vulnerable position.

So does walking into a pub on a date, you might be a rapist or whatever, so why bring it up in the 1st place?

I repeat the questions, you say a lot of taxi drivers are criminals, how many? what source?

So does walking into a pub on a date, you might be a rapist or whatever, so why bring it up in the 1st place?
    Yes. That is why people take precautions (usually women) when going on a first date. I don't see the big deal. I don't see why anyone would expect implicit trust from a stranger.
    I repeat the questions, you say a lot of taxi drivers are criminals, how many? what source?
    I don't know how many criminals are taxi drivers. I have already told you that. I don't need to know figures because I never claimed to be able to quantify my statement. I don't have a source. I don't need one either.

It is common sense that if there are criminals in society that there are criminals in the taxi driving profession. There are no measures in place that I am aware of that could stop criminals gaining taxi licences. That is why the taxi regulator is proposing such measures now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2002/03/04/story24223.asp

Ban ex-cons from taxi driving: union

By Evelyn Ring
    MORE people with a criminal background are successfully appealing taxi licence refusals by the garda carriage office. The carriage office recently confirmed one in five people now applying for a taxi licence either have a criminal record or have a criminal charge pending.

Last Friday the rapist at the centre of the X-case was convicted of kidnapping and assaulting another teenager in 1999 when he was working as a taxi driver in Dublin.

Tommy Gorman of the National Taxi Drivers Union said the assault by the 52-year-old man on a second teenager highlighted the need to bar ex-criminals and persons facing criminal charges from holding taxi licences.

Minister of State Bobby Molloy, who has responsibility for taxis, has promised a review of the newly deregulated industry would include an examination of the issuing of taxi licences to ex-criminals.

Mr Gorman said the situation was very grave, especially when applications rejected by gardaí at the Carriage Office were being overturned by the courts.

"There was a fellow granted a licence last week who had 30 previous convictions, including larceny and burglary," he said.

"That taxi driver will be dropping people off at the airport knowing their home will be vacant for two weeks."

Mr Gorman said the judges needed to sit up and listen to what the gardaí were telling them. The situation also highlighted the immediate need for the appointment of a regulator.

"The taxi business in every city in Ireland is getting totally out of hand," he warned.

The union has been staging a protest outside the Drumcondra constituency office of the Taoiseach Bertie Ahern for seven weeks now to highlight the need for a regulator.

"We have nearly 8,000 taxis in Dublin now with 60 new licenses being issued every week. We want to make sure the right people are getting behind the wheel."

John Ussher of the National Taxi Drivers Federation said the courts were to blame for the number of ex-cons getting taxi licences.

"I am happy that the gardaí run a very tight ship - the X-case man who got through was a once-off. I know the gardaí who vet applicants and they do an excellent job."

May be 5 years old but its statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I think it's actually a very sensible thing to do, anyway.

I tend not to like the idea of women getting taxis on their own as two people I know have been sexually assaulted in that situation.

did they get a conviction

For some reason the Taxi Regulator decided to take our roof sign no's off the dashboard. It's just name and photo details there. And remove the stickers with the roof sign no. off the back window's. And our id tags which we wore round are necks are gone aswell. So only our roof sign's hv numbers and the credit card id doesn't hv them either. We don't need to hv them on us just near us. I did 3 years of nights. Not every night was bad, but not every night was good either. It work's both way's guys we will be civil to you, if your civil to us. Your the ones pissed & rowdy. Please remember it's a job to us like any other.

pissed and rowdey is a very polite way to discribe it

donno what the issue is with these sweeping statements on drivers
    is a very hard job at night

rbd wrote: »
    donno what the issue is with these sweeping statements on drivers
    is a very hard job at night
    I don't know which statements you are referring to. If it is my own, then you are mistaken. I have made it quite clear that my statement was not sweeping. Some Taxi drivers must have a severe persecution complex.

what ??

i doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

faceman wrote: »
    Thank you for logging in, BossArky.

+1

And to the OP, yer man having a bit on the side is what I immediately thought :(

I don't know which statements you are referring to. If it is my own, then you are mistaken. I have made it quite clear that my statement was not sweeping. Some Taxi drivers must have a severe persecution complex.

i didn't mention you

some balloobas..........lol

look taxi drivers are not criminals and its the garda that pass you for a lisence and it takes ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Look, some taxi driver's have criminal records. Sh*t happens, and some slip through the net.

I've a mate with a conviction for armed robbery, served a lenghty sentence too. He can't get to sit for his SPSV licence for love or money because of it.

Foreign nationals driving taxi's are a whole other kettle of fish because mostly they're backgrounds are impossible to check. Most likely the majority are fine, but there's not a shadow of doubt in my mind that there's some with wicked backgrounds.

If I was driving a taxi and someone cast doubt on my charactor by openly phoning through my driver ID etc (thereby letting me know they're nervous in my company) I think I'd be a little insulted, but fvck it like I said sh*t happens. And its not like I'd be looking for the fare/customer to be my newest best friend now would I?.

Fvck it, I'm sure there's more criminals using taxi's than there are criminals working as taxi drivers.

Mairt wrote: »
    Look, some taxi driver's have criminal records. Sh*t happens, and some slip through the net.
    Exactly.
    If I was driving a taxi and someone cast doubt on my charactor by openly phoning through my driver ID etc (thereby letting me know they're nervous in my company) I think I'd be a little insulted
    Agreeed, it wouldn't be particularly nice. It might be better to be polite and discrete.
    Fvck it, I'm sure there's more criminals using taxi's than there are criminals working as taxi drivers.
    No doubt there are. Wouldn't doubt it for a second. Look what happened to that poor chap in Finglas. That's why taxi drivers take precautions and are aware of the risks.

I never claimed to be able to quantify my statement. You're the one who wants to qunatify it. Not me. If you want figures on how many taxi drivers have criminal records then ask the Gardai.

If you can't/won't quantify/clarify a statement then you should as the saying goes STFU, once again for the record this is what you stated
    Yes, many of the people in your profession are criminals. I cannot see why you would have a problem with someone saying that. I didn't say "all taxi drivers are criminals" or "most taxi drivers are criminals". It's a simple fact that a lot of taxi drivers are criminals. Wise up and don't be so sensitive.

I don't know what your job is but suppose it's a doctor and someone posted "A lot of doctors use their position to grope women" would you not feel justified in asking for
    a) Clarification for such a statement
    b) A source for such information

I don't know what your job is but suppose it's a doctor and someone posted "A lot of doctors use their position to grope women" would you not feel justified in asking for
    a) Clarification for such a statement
    b) A source for such information
    An article was quoted above for you. Here's some more. Hopefully thse keep you happy.

Owen Bermingham - Rapist
    Mr X - Paeophile & Rapist
    Brendan McErlain - Paedophile and Rapist
    20 complaints of a criminal nature made to taxi regulator in 2006.

i did not know there were opnly 46 taxi drivers in ireland
    no wonder the ques are so big

rbd wrote: »
    i did not know there were opnly 46 taxi drivers in ireland
    no wonder the ques are so big
    It wasn't me that threw out the 50% figure. In your personal opinion how many rapists is too many to have working as taxi drivers? Could you put a figure on it?

So lets see
    We have a case from 2004 where a taxidriver raped 3 people. Good enough reason for the OPs point of view.

We have a case from 2002 Another good reason to support the OP

We have a link that appears to be broken ( Irish Times asking to login )

And a forth link to the Times which is about overcharging ( not criminality of Taxi Drivers )

So allowing for (approx) 30,000 taxis, x number of Limos, y number of Hackneys ( all of which require an SPSV drivers license, to drive ) your basis for saying
    many of the people in your profession are criminals. I cannot see why you would have a problem with someone saying that. I didn't say "all taxi drivers are criminals" or "most taxi drivers are criminals". It's a simple fact that a lot of taxi drivers are criminals.
    is 2 people and a broken link, not a very high percentage is it!

Now to get back to the OP, the fact that there are 2 cases of sexual assault/rape by taxi drivers is a good enough reason for you to take down and text the number ( if it makes you feel safer ) but the chances of getting attacked are far higher if you don't take a taxi and walk home. Despite the assertions ( unfounded ) about many Taxi Drivers being criminals

• Advertisement

It wasn't me that threw out the 50% figure. In your personal opinion how many rapists is too many to have working as taxi drivers? Could you put a figure on it?

no

Advertisement