Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Number ambiguity!!

Options
  • 02-11-2007 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Generally when I'm coming home from town, I like to ring someone either OH or someone who'll answer phone to let them know I'm on my way home and which taxi I am in as in the taxi number!! However, when I got in to the taxi tonight, I asked the guy what his taxi number was and first thing he asked was 'why'? I explained my OH likes to know when I'm coming home and what the taxi number is! Now don't get me wrong the taxi driver seemed perfectly fine but you just never know (says paranoid me!!). So then he doesn't give me his personal ID number (which is on the dash but impossible to read!), but starts getting out of the car in traffic to get me his roof number! At this point I say fine...just give me a name to give OH and keep him happy!!!! Now again, in fairness, really nice guy and I did ask him to explain difference between roof and personal ID...BTW if you have complaint roof ID is the one to use!!!! And carriage office is one to complain to!!! However, in dangerous situation, the roof id isn't to hand as generally you hop into a taxi and hope you're getting home safely!!! I know it's a bit of a rant...but I've found that this happens quite a bit and I'm just wondering what people think? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Think of what exactly?
    Think that you should have got the number before getting in - if it's a dodgy driver, he'll probably give you a false number..?
    Think your "OH" worries too much?
    Think you're the lucky git that got one of the more helpful drivers?
    Think you shouldn't use "OH"?
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Karoma wrote: »
    Think of what exactly?
    Think that you should have got the number before getting in - if it's a dodgy driver, he'll probably give you a false number..?
    What?

Whats OH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

Jesus, cant even spell this but punciate your posts, ever heard of a comma, or perhaps a new paragraph. My head was sore reading your post.

The taxi number is in big yellow numbers on the roof !!

Regards M

Oh I am also a taximan....A nice one ! I will always wait till a passenger gets thru there door before I pull away..... Not many, but a few nice guys still out there....M x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

It's not the roof number that you should use, the PSV licence number is the one to use. A lot of drivers share cars ie. use the same roof number, whereas the PSV licence number is unique to the individual driver.

I'm guessing OH stands for "other half". A bit overprotective don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

An Citeog wrote: »
    It's not the roof number that you should use, the PSV licence number is the one to use. A lot of drivers share cars ie. use the same roof number, whereas the PSV licence number is unique to the individual driver.

I'm guessing OH stands for "other half". A bit overprotective don't you think?

I beg to differ, roof sign number, no argument, they know who u are...end of
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

intheknow wrote: »
    I beg to differ, roof sign number, no argument, they know who u are...end of
    M

Well, you are a taxi driver, so you must know everything....lol

*removes tongue from cheek*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I would of thought the actual number has to be displayed in the car with the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Well at the risk of repeating myself from previous topics.

1 The taxi number is on the roof ( btw they are black numbers not yellow :p )

2 The driver ID ( which is in effect his Taxi Drivers License ) should be on clear display on the dashboard, the drivers name and photograph showing inwards, the area that they are licensed to ply for trade showing to the outside.

3 There should be two (25cm or so diameter) yellow stickers (these are the proof that the vehicle is a licensed taxi/hackney), one on the front windscreen one on the rear, giving the plate number ( same as on the roof ) and the date of expiry of the license. If its not in date they aren't licensed and therefore are not insured!

Now do yourselves and all compliant taxi drivers a favour, if things aren't right walk away from the "taxi" and report them

http://www.taxiregulator.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm dying to know why you think that by calling ahead with a taxi number - whether that be to your "OH" or "someone who'll answer phone" [excuse me but I'm píssing myself at the futility of this as I type] - will get you home safely?

If I was a taxi driver I'd be thinking - "Sure I'd have you in a shallow grave quicker than I'd take off the bogey roof sign." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

Karoma wrote: »
    Think of what exactly?
    What?

Just asking for an opinion which some of the more helpful posters on here gave me.

Yes I should have got roof number before getting in.

It's not so much my "OH" worrying too much as it is something myself and friends have been told to do, by a taxi driver as it happens.

And yes Hill Billy, it might be futile but if it makes us feel a bit safer so be it. And adding the smiley didn't help!

Yes I am a lucky git;)

Didn't realise using "OH" was an issue. Please forgive me Herr Moderator.

Intheknow - I hope this was easier to read. I am sorry for making your head sore:)

I will now leave you and all in After Hours in peace:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Spook_ie wrote: »
    3 There should be two (25cm or so diameter) yellow stickers (these are the proof that the vehicle is a licensed taxi/hackney), one on the front windscreen one on the rear, giving the plate number ( same as on the roof ) and the date of expiry of the license. If its not in date they aren't licensed and therefore are not insured!

These stickers aren't the same as the window ones, with the number etc..? Weren't they just brought in an scrapped? Thought they were handy, as a lot of the time you just couldn't see the number on the dashboard.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2007/01/03/story291694.asp
    article wrote:
    Taxi regulator scraps €233,000 window sticker initiative

9:00:10 AM

The taxi regulator has reportedly scrapped a new customer information service that required drivers to erect window stickers in their vehicles.

The stickers, which were launched just three months ago, contained information on fare structures, customer rights and contact details for the regulator.

Reports this morning say the scheme has cost around €233,000, with the money coming from licence fees paid by taxi drivers.

However, the stickers are reportedly being scrapped after drivers complained that they were interfering with electric windows and being peeled off by passengers.

Taxi unions also claimed the stickers made their members a target for robberies when their vehicles were parked outside their homes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Wokie wrote: »
    I like to ring someone either OH or someone who'll answer phone to let them know I'm on my way home and which taxi I am in as in the taxi number!!

Thats...that's just stange.
    Do you phone them to let them know when you to go make poopsies too?
    Or when you feel a tinkle in your pee-pees?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I've made a successful complaint before. The regulator took my receipt and dealt with it. If there is a problem always ask for a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

!!!!!!!!!..................!!!!!!!!!..................!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!..................!!!!!!!!!..................!!!!!
    !!!!..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i think the other half was at home with someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

It seems a very paranoid and very in your face thing to do.
    If presuming I was a taxi driver and Someone"you" got into my car got on your phone and asked me for my ID number I would have stopped the car and called the gardai for you and let them take you home!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think it's actually a very sensible thing to do, anyway.

I tend not to like the idea of women getting taxis on their own as two people I know have been sexually assaulted in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Give her a break lads, the girleen is new and loves her exclamation marks (and OH) :D

Wokie, this is what happens when you post in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

i can understand doing that if you were getting a taxi in say Caracas or Bogotá. But in Ireland it's a bit over-protective. Only reason i'd make a note of the number would be in case i lost my phone or something in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

i can understand doing that if you were getting a taxi in say Caracas or Bogotá. But in Ireland it's a bit over-protective. Only reason i'd make a note of the number would be in case i lost my phone or something in the car.
    I'm not sure what planet you people are living on. Rogue taxis are as common in Ireland as anywhere. Many drivers are criminals and I remember one case of a taxi driver dying from an overdose while on duty. Don't be so naiive. A respectable driver will have no problem with you taking precautions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Oriel wrote: »
    Thats...that's just stange.
    Do you phone them to let them know when you to go make poopsies too?
    Or when you feel a tinkle in your pee-pees?

Thank I'm not the only one that thinks the OP is a bit on the weird/strange side.
    Control freak??????

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

If any of my friends are sending a (usually drunk) girl home in a taxi on their own, we always take down the reg and ask her to text us when she gets home.

I don't think it's a paranoid thing to do, I think it's just reassuring to us to know she got home okay, and to have some information in case she didn't..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

OP, I'm the same! At least if you give yer other half the number they know who to go after ya go missing!! ;) (only messing!)
    It just gives piece of mind. Whenever Im in a cab, I phone either my bf or my mam! It just makes me feel better.And I hate making small talk :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I have no 'OH' and my mam is 200 miles away.

What am I supposed to do ?

p.s. twelve years getting taxis in Dublin and nothing ever happened to me but maybe I'm just lucky :D

Dinxminx wrote: »
    If any of my friends are sending a (usually drunk) girl home in a taxi on their own, we always take down the reg and ask her to text us when she gets home.

I don't think it's a paranoid thing to do, I think it's just reassuring to us to know she got home okay, and to have some information in case she didn't..

It a brilliant precautionary measure I think, safety first eh:rolleyes: presuming some taxi driver murders or rapes you or your friends you will all know the number of the taxi he drove.

missmatty wrote: »
    I have no 'OH' and my mam is 200 miles away.

What am I supposed to do ?

p.s. twelve years getting taxis in Dublin and nothing ever happened to me but maybe I'm just lucky :D

Typical movie style twist for you now this weekend your getting stunt man mike as your taxi driver

That's it. If a big huge scary guy has you in his car and decides to do something then that's it really. I mean I'm tiny and I know much and all as I'd fight I probably wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell :eek:

lol @ rob l (god forbid)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like to pretend to pass out in the taxi, hoping the driveress will take advantage of the situation.

missmatty wrote: »
    That's it. If a big huge scary guy has you in his car and decides to do something then that's it really. I mean I'm tiny and I know much and all as I'd fight I probably wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell :eek:

lol @ rob l (god forbid)

Well just to be safe I dont think you should get any taxis for a while. :D

• Advertisement

Maybe I have tempted fate irresistibly now :D

The weekend will be interesting :cool:

Advertisement