Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Number ambiguity!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Whenever I'm in my gimp suit and scrotum-deep in the neighbour's labrador; I get my OH to ring from her Taxi to give me time to clean up the evidence, is that weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

cjt156 wrote: »
    Whenever I'm in my gimp suit and scrotum-deep in the neighbour's labrador; I get my OH to ring from her Taxi to give me time to clean up the evidence, is that weird?
    LMAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

The Queen wrote: »
    OP, I'm the same! At least if you give yer other half the number they know who to go after ya go missing!!

..........To buy them a few pints ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

i can understand doing that if you were getting a taxi in say Caracas or Bogotá. But in Ireland it's a bit over-protective. Only reason i'd make a note of the number would be in case i lost my phone or something in the car.

What i usually do, and i's quicker and easier than writing down the taxi number, is make sure i got everything with me when i get out. Who the hell writes down a taxi number in case they might leave something after them, madness!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

cjt156 wrote: »

Roffles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

whiskeyman wrote: »
    These stickers aren't the same as the window ones, with the number etc..?

No the ones on the rear driver/passenger side windows were the Taxi Regulators idea for the fare cards, these ones are Yellow,Circular and about 25cm Diameter, attached to front and rear screens by the NCT crowd to show that the taxi is licensed. They are renewed on a yearly basis and are dated.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

[PHP]Well just to be safe I dont think you should get any taxis for a while[/PHP]

ballooba , i think you should do the same.

[PHP]Many drivers are criminals[/PHP]

Just for those of you who think it never happens! heres a link to a UK site

http://www.taxiwise.com/

And just to give some relevancy to Ireland ask yourselves this question!

Just how do the Garda check the background of anyone that drives a taxi, if they lived outside of Ireland?

Also note that Taxi Regulations Act 2003 Section 36 the one that deals with sex offenders having licenses is STILL not in force!!

ballooba , i think you should do the same.
    Be a criminal? I have a job!

Don't take a taxi for awhile. God only knows what could happen to you.

• Advertisement

Don't take a taxi for awhile. God only knows what could happen to you.
    I'll take my chances. I'm a big chap. Even still, I would be nervous going through the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BoB the 7th

For some reason the Taxi Regulator decided to take our roof sign no's off the dashboard. It's just name and photo details there. And remove the stickers with the roof sign no. off the back window's. And our id tags which we wore round are necks are gone aswell. So only our roof sign's hv numbers and the credit card id doesn't hv them either. We don't need to hv them on us just near us. I did 3 years of nights. Not every night was bad, but not every night was good either. It work's both way's guys we will be civil to you, if your civil to us. Your the ones pissed & rowdy. Please remember it's a job to us like any other.

Please remember it's a job to us like any other

Exactly Bob. Only new to the game myself and I find vast majority of people sound and mannerly. I do engage in conversation with the customers and generally they are delighted with that.

As has been said if you have a problem with a taxi fare demand a receipt, the receipt will contain the taxi number and the car registration number.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's an easy way to get on the good side of any taxi driver, just ask them are they busy, get them talking. You can look out the window not listening for the rest of the trip just throw in the odd "the bastards", "thats awful", The odd complaint about all these new Irish place names will go down well too.

Never had anything but good experiences with taxis.

I did 3 years of nights. Not every night was bad, but not every night was good either. It work's both way's guys we will be civil to you, if your civil to us. Your the ones pissed & rowdy. Please remember it's a job to us like any other.
    Presumably you are as careful about who you let in the car as others are about who they get in with. I'm sure drivers take precautions too.
    Exactly Bob. Only new to the game myself and I find vast majority of people sound and mannerly. I do engage in conversation with the customers and generally they are delighted with that.
    I just realised you are a driver now. Was your advice to me a veiled threat then? Because those are funny on the internet.

Yes, many of the people in your profession are criminals. I cannot see why you would have a problem with someone saying that. I didn't say "all taxi drivers are criminals" or "most taxi drivers are criminals". It's a simple fact that a lot of taxi drivers are criminals. Wise up and don't be so sensitive.

As has been said if you have a problem with a taxi fare demand a receipt, the receipt will contain the taxi number and the car registration number.

Like Tesco, one should not have to demand a receipt, if all drivers were above board, eg. paying tax on all income they would issue a receipt to every customer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

oleras wrote: »
    Like Tesco, one should not have to demand a receipt, if all drivers were above board, eg. paying tax on all income they would issue a receipt to every customer !

The taxi meter prints one automatically at the end of the journey, when the meter is totalled.

All taxi meter's will print out an end of shift receipt too, but the driver has to do that for himself. And like tills in a shop the revenue commissioners can run off/demand the entire year's takings from any meter.

However thats not to say every taxi driver honest about their takings, but alot are as its hard to give in a year's worth of fuel receipts, service receipts, wear & tear etc and show a loss!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

talk about clingy, weirdo!!

Mairt wrote: »
    The taxi meter prints one automatically at the end of the journey, if the meter is started

Hope you dont mind, i edited your post to reflect 99% of my dealings with taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

There are actually more attacks on taxi drivers by passengers , than assaults on passengers by drivers. So maybe it's the drivers who should be asking the passengers for id., not the other way around....

• Advertisement

Issuing a receipt isn't a problem, as the taxman doesn't care if you give a receipt or not!, the taxman if he wants to would just get you to print out a tally from the meter ( it stores the ongoing total of fares clocked up ),however, from a litter perspective if a customer is offered a receipt ( traceable to a specific taxi because the number is printed on it ) and throws it away, guess who gets the fine for littering!!

Thats why the AIB and other banks stopped automaticly producing receipts on their ATMs as the councils were threatening to prosecute them for littering.

Hope you dont mind, i edited your post to reflect 99% of my dealings with taxi drivers.

If the meters not started then WHY FFS are you using the taxi?!

ballooba wrote: »
    Yes, many of the people in your profession are criminals. I cannot see why you would have a problem with someone saying that. I didn't say "all taxi drivers are criminals" or "most taxi drivers are criminals". It's a simple fact that a lot of taxi drivers are criminals. Wise up and don't be so sensitive.

Quantify what you mean by a lot? 10%,20%,30% more than that, then give a source or are you just picking figures from the air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Here are a couple of tips for the OP:
    1. Find out the taxi number before getting in
    2. Don't make it obvious to the driver that you're contacting your "OH" expressly to identify your driver

People don't like knowing they're being treated like potential murderers or rapists by some stuck up doddy's girl. Why not just get the "OH" (for arguments sake, let's just call him Oisin or Fiachra) to collect you in his X5?

ballooba wrote: »

Since in some towns a lot of taxi drivers now are non-Irish nationals whose background can not be checked your probably right.

The same laws apply in Limerick as the rest of the country in regards to taxi meters.

Your legally only obligied to pay whats on the meter. If the driver doesn't start the meter he can not charge you a cent.

If you have a problem with that you can either call for a guard, or ask for a receipt & at the same time take the drivers details. And since he obviously can not issue you a receipt from a switched off meter, you can the ride free.

So its win-win (if you have the cop on).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

intheknow wrote: »
    Jesus, cant even spell this but punciate your posts, ever heard of a comma, or perhaps a new paragraph. My head was sore reading your post.

Thank you for logging in, BossArky.

The taxi driver probably got the hump that you wanted his id number, its not something anyone asks unless they're going to make a complaint id imagine!

In future why not look at the roof sign before gettin in and send your OH a text if it means that much to her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Mairt wrote: »
    Since in some towns a lot of taxi drivers now are non-Irish nationals whose background can not be checked your probably right.

The same could be said for McDonald's employees. Better check under the lettuce leaves in your Big Mac next time, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Karoma wrote: »
    Think of what exactly?
    Think that you should have got the number before getting in - if it's a dodgy driver, he'll probably give you a false number..?
    Think your "OH" worries too much?
    Think you're the lucky git that got one of the more helpful drivers?
    Think you shouldn't use "OH"?
    What?

Really helpful posting KABUM but what else can one expect from the Herr with the bleached anus?

OP - respect your precautions and the badge ID also visible on dashboard is what's required. Drivers shouldn't have any problem with you taking precautions, and certainly any refusals should be reported as suggested by other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Issuing a receipt isn't a problem, as the taxman doesn't care if you give a receipt or not!, the taxman if he wants to would just get you to print out a tally from the meter ( it stores the ongoing total of fares clocked up ),however, from a litter perspective if a customer is offered a receipt ( traceable to a specific taxi because the number is printed on it ) and throws it away, guess who gets the fine for littering!!

Thats why the AIB and other banks stopped automaticly producing receipts on their ATMs as the councils were threatening to prosecute them for littering.

Taxi drivers are concerned about our growing litter problem? Is that why they pay a capped income tax, which would be considered peanuts for most PAYE'rs??

Advertisement