Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 "Beaker"

Most ads on RTE Radio are done by their own production team for buttons for Irish SMEs buying adspace - agencies usually aren't involved.

I usually flick between RTE 1, RTE 2 and Newstalk and don't manage to hear most of the ad breaks.

What kills me about RTE homemade ads is that they use the same music again and again, like last year it was the music for those annoying 3 part AA ads this year they are using it for Louis Copeland suits, if i have the radio turned down it leaves me in a state of confusions as to which product or service I want to buy because all that I can hear is the music rant rant rant, mind you if RTE didn't waste most of the lye-sense fee on Tubridy, Ryan, Kenny, Duffy etc then they might be able to afford a couple more backing tracks for their ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

any of the adds for blanchardstown shopping centres etc get right on me tits-especially one a couple of years ago with a little prrick of a kid with a hoarse accent saying 'its all there in the square'!
    Strangely enough that'd be for the Square Town Centre, Tallaght - and not the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre. They've been run pretty much every Christmas for the past, what 6 or 7 years, and feature Simon Young (I mean... COME ON!) as the dad... 'nuff said.

Cringeworthy. Is a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned the completely brutal ad for some variety of cream/ointment for ridding yourself of athlete's foot....some craptastic scenario with the end result being that the sufferer pulls a foot cramp and all his buddies dream up excuses to avoid the guy's feet at any cost.
    It features the absolute worst NI accent I've ever heard in my life; that includes Brad Pitt's one in Patriot Games.

If I ever end up suffering from the affliction this application remedies, I'd sooner amputate my own foot with a kitchen knife, than sponsor any company that would permit an ad like this to promote their product...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Wertz wrote:
    I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned the completely brutal ad for some variety of cream/ointment for ridding yourself of athlete's foot....

That ad for Athletes foot stuff with a host of so fockin bad accents I nearly yank the tranny from the wall and cant her over the next roof...... What the fuggg is it all about anyway... the red mist comes down half way through??

The Bantam has to get some credit there! Although i can see how you could miss his post. Actually I could see how you could read it and still not know what he's talking about!! :D

Hat's off to FlutterinBantam so...I knew I wasn't the only one that this ad was driving mental. Another one annoyed me today too, but it's forgotten for now, thankfully.

• Advertisement

yeah I hate it too - those fake accents really drive me up the wall. Someone already mentioned the fake french accent "carrohs, griiin biins, bon!" FFS just get a regular french person! Did anyone hear a piece on the Last Word last Friday about a protest being held at a Hunt Ball? The head knob of the Hunting assoc. was on, I'm sure he's a voiceover artist, I could hear his voice saying "regulated by the blah blah". There must only be a couple of voice over people in Dublin, right? Him, "Barnser" from Paths to Freedom, Nicola and Niamh from Fair City, and our favourite, Don Wycherly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I HATE Don Wycherly's voice.... and I'm sick of listening to Nicola from Fair City, Colm and Jim Jim from the Strawberry Alarm Clock, Simon Delaney and the rest of the w*nkers that they constantly use to advertise products!!!

That bloody eircom phonewatch ad... burglars don't take holidays!!! WTF????

Best ad ever is the DID electrical one... open tonight TIL NOINE!!

But if I have to listen to Neville Knot one more time, I'll take his f*cking kettle... and I'm sure you can figure out the rest....

........aaaand breathe.....:D nice rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ahh... TBH sorry I cant match up to your razor sharp wit and banter... but thanks for digging out my post to show the world I got there first.... Damn white of you man...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 setanta70

Really funny thread, this one. Being a foreigner, I attributed my reaction to some ads to my lack of knowledge about the different accents in Ireland or the nuances of the Irish sense of humour, so it's a relief to know that I'm not the only one to find some radio ads perplexing or plainly stupid :).

Re poor radio ads, here's my pet hate: that ad where a drowsy guy goes to this convenience store and when he orders he messes up all the initials in words, as in:
    -Do you lake Taser?
    -Yes, we do take Laser.

On the other hand, I do like the ad where a guy chases a woman suggesting all kinds of services she can reach through the directory enquiries: anger management courses as she starts getting aggresive, rugby clubs when she tackles him and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kaizersoze1

My favourite at the minute is for Right Price Tiles on Today FM i think. Daft dave put in charge for the day! Its one of the few ads i can hear a few times without hating it....
    "I want a canoe in my office by 11"
    :D
    great ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

My favourite at the minute is for Right Price Tiles on Today FM i think. Daft dave put in charge for the day! Its one of the few ads i can hear a few times without hating it....
    "I want a canoe in my office by 11"
    :D
    great ad

Absolutely! How random an instruction is that! I crack up when I hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I heard some American ads for budweiser recently omg they were sooo funny. They were just class if anyone knows where i could get em to download or something let me know. they are class.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I really hate that ad for the TV license, supposed to be the TV talking to you or something. the smart-arsery of it really bugs me, especially as RTE presenters are so overpaid and undertalented.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

colm_mcm wrote:
    I really hate that ad for the TV license, supposed to be the TV talking to you or something. the smart-arsery of it really bugs me, especially as RTE presenters are so overpaid and undertalented.
    You can 'reverse-engineer' that ad to understand how the slowly turning and squeaky brain-cogs of the genius in RTE who devised it operates.

Basically the ad is designed to be annoying, almost like that little annoying voice in your conscious that reminds you to do something. Something like buy a TV licence perhaps.

The 'annoyingness' of an ad is also, in relation, inversely proportional to its ability to lodge in the brain. Which is the reason you remember this ad and almost word for word and the ads from Geraldine of Discount Electrical or the theme tune to the Late Late Show.

Current pet hate:

The AIB free student banking one with the offer for €XX free phone credit...the annoying part for me is suggestions on what to use the credit for; Comparing study notes? Directions to a party? Seriously, piss off....students might be a bit thick bt I can think even they can figure out what to use phone credit on. The guy doing the voiceover's intonation/accent bothers me too, but that's par for the course these days.

This is one amongst a crowd of ads by financial institutions currently targetting back to school/college...my god it's like vultures circling a dying lamb...

Wertz wrote:
    This is one amongst a crowd of ads by financial institutions currently targetting back to school/college...my god it's like vultures circling a dying lamb...
    Irish Financial Institutions still think along outmoded 80's lines that a) graduates will be high-earners and b) people don't like switching banks because it's too much hassle, so who you start banking with is who you bank with for life.

In short, bollocks. At last Irish people are starting to begin to shop around regarding banking choices and won't think twice about switching banks because these days we don't have to go cap in hand to the local branch manager for a loan or a mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Current 'ad-that-I-hate-of-the-week' are those Robinsons fruit drink ads. The one where some kid finds a go kart or something and asks what his dad what he used it for and how it works, then the aul lad says do you want Robinsons. Stupid ad, like many nowadays, it makes no sense.

Also, that ad with SSIA Optimise in it, can't stand that either, and the ad for FBD with that guy saying 'It happens, we'll be there when it happens to you'. I hate that guys voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Crubeens

Current 'ad-that-I-hate-of-the-week' are those Robinsons fruit drink ads. The one where some kid finds a go kart or something and asks what his dad what he used it for and how it works, then the aul lad says do you want Robinsons. Stupid ad, like many nowadays, it makes no sense.

Also, that ad with SSIA Optimise in it, can't stand that either, and the ad for FBD with that guy saying 'It happens, we'll be there when it happens to you'. I hate that guys voice

Every time I hear that Robinson's ad I get mad. Really f%*&ing mad. I'd love to get my hands on that precocious kid and the father who reared such a nonce.

Crubeens wrote:
    Every time I hear that Robinson's ad I get mad. Really f%*&ing mad. I'd love to get my hands on that precocious kid and the father who reared such a nonce.

no, it's the father who's the nonce :D I'm hating that magnum add, with the number to text. "Get Free Credit" "Free Credit?" "For Brown Thomas" "For Brown Thomas?"

**** OFF!

• Advertisement

All those 11890 ads stuck in my brain so much that I actually tried to use their service last week and guess what? They never answered the phone!...twice!...they were probably too busy making crappy radio ads, so it was back to 11811.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

"Do ye Do McFlurries"

"Yes"

"Have ye got the one with the bird in the bath?"

"Sorry?"

"Don't be, She's a crackin-looking bird"

I like it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

You can 'reverse-engineer' that ad to understand how the slowly turning and squeaky brain-cogs of the genius in RTE who devised it operates.

Basically the ad is designed to be annoying, almost like that little annoying voice in your conscious that reminds you to do something. Something like buy a TV licence perhaps.

The 'annoyingness' of an ad is also, in relation, inversely proportional to its ability to lodge in the brain. Which is the reason you remember this ad and almost word for word and the ads from Geraldine of Discount Electrical or the theme tune to the Late Late Show.
    Back to your raaaaaaaadio.

No words can describe how much I hate the guy in those ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

froodie wrote:
    "Do ye Do McFlurries"

"Yes"

"Have ye got the one with the bird in the bath?"

"Sorry?"

"Don't be, She's a crackin-looking bird"

I like it anyway...

Oh no! Thats the lowest of the low.

zuutroy wrote:
    Oh no! Thats the lowest of the low.

I don't think so, the lowest of the low IMO were those NTL ads (a thousand sloppy note; or whatever the Hell he said in them).

Current 'ad-that-I-hate-of-the-week' is some ad for a shoe shop. Basically this woman says things like "Chatted up on the bus" and "Night Out" and so on, and every time she says something like that, a voice over keeps saying "NEW SHOES". Christ, it's bloody repetitive.

Why are ads so bad, and secondly, why do I even listen to the radio!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

colm_mcm wrote:

That one just confuses me.
    "Hello, this is your TV talking.."
    "No, you're my radio, aren't you?":confused:

I also hate the one for a hotel, where one woman asks the other where she went on holidays, and she won't tell her, and the first one just completely flips out and throws a tantrum worthy of a two year old. Surely ads are supposed to make you empathise/envy the person using the product, not hate everyone remotely associated with it.

On the plus side, I really like Daft Dave. he should have his own show somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The one I hate is actually a TV ad, but I only get to hear it (constantly... in work...) as where I am when it's on, I can't see the telly...

It's for whatever shop in the UK does "George" brand clothing for kids (ASDA?...). The ad features a choir of children singing Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman". I ESPECIALLY cringe when they come to the "Mercy!!!" bit... (I think they used to have ads where the kids sang other popular ditties, like that "whoa-oh-oh it's MAGIC, you know-ohhhh... never believe its not so.." or something). On a daily basis I just get left with the feeling of wanting to strangle that entire choir of children one by one so that they may never be able to foist another badly executed advert jingle on us again...

Oh and those ads that say that Nissan car dealers really take it personally and get terribly upset and start crying buckets when they sell a "Gold Standard" car too. What bollocks! If it's going to upset them that much, I won't buy one then! Whinging feckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That fupping RTE ad for their Ryder Cup coverage on radio.

I'm well and truly pissed off with the whole event by now but that idioticly OTT Epic really takes the busicuit. Such flowery florid language to describe 22 fellas chasing small balls round a manicured field.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Daft Dave rules I would buy my tiles in Right Price even if they were ****e just 'cos of that ad

And I want a monkey - in a red jacket!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement