Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

^Beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Oh aye - any of those ads that mention 'Buhrglers'....

come the revolution, etc etc etc
    yeah that's the one. makes me switch of the radio each time.:mad:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I like the Barry's tea radio ad with the model train and the xmas scene, they seem to roll it out every year but I still love it.

Just a little off topic but just watched Intermission on RTE 1 TV, not great but heard/saw lots of radio and TV voice over people on it, interesting to put face to the voice. I'm sure the Barry's tea V/O man was the guy in the wheel chair near the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sorry a tad off topic ,but I cannot believe Heineken have resurrected that hammer-headed dork with the "worst haircut ever invented" fishing the bottles out of the barrel of ice on the tv.

have people no shame??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

That stupid ad for Opel where the couple are out for the meal. The guy is asking for the bill and the gf/wife says "I think we should go 50-50!" A hilarious misunderstanding because he thinks she's talking about the bill for the meal but no, for some reason, she has chosen this time to proclaim her enthusiasm for Opel's great car finance deal.
    What a sh*t sh*t ad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those damned 'superfood' ads the banana one is esp annoying.

Mike.

Daft Dave, Daft Dave, Daft Dave, Daft Dave, Daft Dave, Daft Dave, Daft Dave and Daft Dave. breakpc2.gif

that's the crappest ad ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mikesee

the barrys tea ad is well written, that's part of the problem. a good writer prostituted herself (i believe it was a she, it was mentioned on some program lately) using her skill to bypass our rational minds and speak to our emotions and in so doing associate a pleasant feeling with a particular brand. i think this is the reason for the split on this ad- some people like the pleasant memories and others, like me, hate this feeling of being manipulated.

i agree with the poster that said the original daft dave was brilliant but has gone downhill since (he's on telly now with his monkey!)

mikesee wrote:
    the barrys tea ad is well written, that's part of the problem. a good writer prostituted herself (i believe it was a she, it was mentioned on some program lately) using her skill to bypass our rational minds and speak to our emotions and in so doing associate a pleasant feeling with a particular brand. i think this is the reason for the split on this ad- some people like the pleasant memories and others, like me, hate this feeling of being manipulated.

i agree with the poster that said the original daft dave was brilliant but has gone downhill since (he's on telly now with his monkey!)
    still haven't heard that Barry's Tea ad that you're all talking about. and I regularly listen to the radio... ;)

and the Centra Christmas ad was pretty poor too...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Greenman wrote:
    I like the Barry's tea radio ad with the model train and the xmas scene, they seem to roll it out every year but I still love it.

Just a little off topic but just watched Intermission on RTE 1 TV, not great but heard/saw lots of radio and TV voice over people on it, interesting to put face to the voice. I'm sure the Barry's tea V/O man was the guy in the wheel chair near the end.

yeah, that was wreckin my head! every two seconds: "what ad is he/she from". There were at least ten of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I HATE the Opel 50-50 ad. Their is two of them, the one when the man and woman are in the resturant, and the woman keeps saying 50-50, and other is the one when some guy is talking to a shrink and he keeps saying 50-50 as well. The person behind the idea of those ad's should be shot dead. It would also put you off buying an Opel as well.

Why do I even bother listening to the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

DANGER! DANGER!

Those bloody Budget Travel ads.... :mad:

Please make it stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

For me the worst ad on the radio is the one for Clearwire Broadband! It is very annoying and somewhat daft. It may sell in the States but not here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That bloody Sky ad with the guy and his ghostly auntie....pity the two of em aren't dead. Ch4? Big f*cking deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The fcuking AUTOGLASS ad ! Sounds like Frank Stapleton's younger brother (in the style of Aprés Match) and he reads thru his SHOITE script at 2mph offering you the once in a lifetime chance of avoiding a new windscreen by letting him inject a shot of resin into your windscreen.

ASK ME BOLLIX !

This ad must have been done on a budget of €5 and that was to cover the tea and biscuits for the production crew :mad:

Sizzler wrote:
    The fcuking AUTOGLASS ad ! Sounds like Frank Stapleton's younger brother (in the style of Aprés Match) and he reads thru his SHOITE script at 2mph offering you the once in a lifetime chance of avoiding a new windscreen by letting him inject a shot of resin into your windscreen.

ASK ME BOLLIX !

This ad must have been done on a budget of €5 and that was to cover the tea and biscuits for the production crew :mad:
    yeah, that's pretty bad. surely they could've found someone else to read the ad. someone a bit less dreary and bland.

and another ad I hate is the Digiweb Metro broadband ad with the 2 country people. "ah daddy, when are we going to get broadband":mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

That bloody ad on Newstalk about some blue communications "Ilove you bluuuueee" its so creepy i hate it.

And that ad for meat (supermeat?) from the food advisory council. You can hear the actor giving up on it half way through, it's rancid.

Daft Dave is why I'm not going to right price tiles (and the fact that he sounds like my next door neighbour)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The ad for UCD which has the Ross O'C-Kelly soundalike going on about the virtues of UCD.

What I would like to know is..Is that a real person or some actor taking the p*ss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

That bloody ad on Newstalk about some blue communications "Ilove you bluuuueee" its so creepy i hate it.

Yeah it's a bloody rubbish ad. "It's a monster whopper!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

"Monkey do you want your nuts cut?" Monkey makes worried noises

Classic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Anything with the "Maceys" in it makes me want to fling the telly/radio out the window/at the dog... but JESUS, they've won awards for them!!! (up north)...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I love the Permanent TSB radio ads with the mafioso and children of the revolution playing in the background.

"We're not like those other bankers"......brilliant the way he says it with such venom. I wonder if theres a hidden meaning or play on words in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I like that ad too, nicely different.

Would I be kicked off this thread if I said Daft Dave is starting to grate a little? And hasn't Turkish Trabertine has always seemed to be €29.99!!??!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Have to agree with you, tbh... we've had Harvey Norman radio ads for 3 years now - could you imagine hearing Daft Dave for the next 3 years? That'd be WAY worse, believe me!

I like the ad with Shep the nodding dog who makes silly dog noises. I don't know why I like it and I don't remember what it's for. Car insurance or some such malarkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

The ad for UCD which has the Ross O'C-Kelly soundalike going on about the virtues of UCD.

What I would like to know is..Is that a real person or some actor taking the p*ss

Apsolutely enfuriating this one, especially annoying is the way he says the word 'study'. Smug prick emodies everything thats wrong about UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

the heart disease ad is bloody stupid, they maintain that cause noone cares (because we still aren't doing enough about heart disease for ourselves apparently)the guy in the ad is only going to whisper, presumably to get you to turn up the radio to see what he's whispering, but how many people are typing or cleaning, or driving and won't hear the whispering because of workplace or ambient noise they'll think the radio is silent for 10 seconds.
    For a public health announcement its a pure waste of money and whoever came up with it should return their pay cheque. if your serious about the issue you don't take the chance. their smug atttitude has only backfired in their face to show them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

''The assocation for the support of the victims of crime'' Pointless advert wit a very strange monotone lady :mad:

tbh wrote:

Would I be kicked off this thread if I said Daft Dave is starting to grate a little? And hasn't Turkish Trabertine has always seemed to be €29.99!!??!

you're the mod so you won't be kicked off this thread...;)

but, yes, Daft Dave is annoying. I will never visit Right Price Tiles again...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dubliner Cheese "bad taste" ad, the examples of bad taste are correct but the ads a dog due to Brendan O'Connors voiceover.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Dubliner Cheese "bad taste" ad, the examples of bad taste are correct but the ads a dog due to Brendan O'Connors voiceover.

Mike.
    and it's a bit strange using a culshie to advertise Dubliner Cheese.....:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement