Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Cabra Cabra, Ongar Ongar... oh **** off! (Nitelink ad...I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Is there a Gaiety Panto this year? I haven't heard that yet.

Oh yes there is ! It;s no ordinary Pantow its de Gayedee Pantow !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Is there a Gaiety Panto this year? I haven't heard that yet.

Lucky you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Barna77 wrote: »
    Just heard the Barry's train ad

Just came on to mention this. It's just over, feels like it started 45 mins ago.

Although it does make me laugh that you can hear his missus giving out to him. It's a stressful time, Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah that Barry's ad is great - one of the better Christmas ads, to be fair.

Other companies trying to mimic it aren't really pulling it off though.

There is a similar style for a voucher for the Europa hotel. My rewritten version:

"The Europa", she gasped, turning the voucher over in her hands. "Jesus, a f**king voucher, seriously. You have no imagination at all."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

i really hate the barrys add, and im not alone. :) the europa add is brutal as well.

camel and jambo can fupp off as well..

(bah humbug! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's so long ago that I can't remember whether this was a radio Ad too but it's from the same feel-good school as the Barry's Tea Ad. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

camel and jambo can fupp off as well..

I’ve heard Neil Delamere doesn’t like people asking him about being the “voice” of the goat.

To be fair, it does sound a lot like him.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"It's the height of the troubles and some RA lad has come home to find that the worst has happened... somebody has killed his cat"

Yeah, sounds like a load of rubbish to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"It's the height of the troubles and some RA lad has come home to find that the worst has happened... somebody has killed his cat"

Yeah, sounds like a load of rubbish to be honest.

That play (surprisingly) got good reviews in the past, I'd go with reviews or word of mouth before believing any ad telling me that it's "hilarious", esp at those ticket prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Jammer jammer jammer ..jammer.ie.........:mad::mad:

And she had the harness ready.....ready for whaaaa.....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Barna77 wrote: »
    Just heard the Barry's train ad

Can anyone remember when this ad first aired? It feels like it's been going for at least 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,881 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can anyone remember when this ad first aired? It feels like it's been going for at least 15 years.

At least double that I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

1994. 25 years this year.

Long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yikes! I was going to say 20 years, but thought that sounded too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

There's an ad for Kileen Castle golf classes, the pro golfer featured sounds like he was recorded with a traffic cone over his head, sounds very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What the flip is a homeless communidy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What the flip is a homeless communidy?

A growth industry Donie, aided and abetted by a coterie with 1% support in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Macdarack wrote: »
    There's an ad for Kileen Castle golf classes, the pro golfer featured sounds like he was recorded with a traffic cone over his head, sounds very cheap

Literally dialling it in. And putting a bed of classical music under it does nothing to improve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

That Tony Cascarino ad promoting gambling really annoys me, "lets check with VAR, yes it's ten euwo".

Every time you start up Newstalk on iradio the ad is played. Kind of ironic given that Newstalk considers itself the moral conscience of Irish society that they should be getting their money from an industry that does such damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

Most radio ads are incredibly annoying. Especially when trying to sell something they insert some silly narrative with a terrible voice actor. Made even worse when it's a child actor.

And the Barry's tea ad makes me want to repeatedly bang my head on the nearest wall. So incredibly lame. Drink Lyons!

Macdarack wrote: »

Awful, especially for classes that are presumably NOT cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

That Tony Cascarino ad promoting gambling really annoys me, "lets check with VAR, yes it's ten euwo".

Every time you start up Newstalk on iradio the ad is played. Kind of ironic given that Newstalk considers itself the moral conscience of Irish society that they should be getting their money from an industry that does such damage.
    Is that not just an ad for Sky Sports? I don't see the gambling connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

plodder wrote: »
    Is that not just an ad for Sky Sports? I don't see the gambling connection.

Admittedly I haven't seen the ad, but it sounds like this is the gambling connection:

"Let's check with VAR" = you're watching football

"Yes it's ten euro" = you have won money gambling based on the outcome (as opposed to just being happy because Liverpool or whoever are now 1-0 up)

It's so insidious, we hardly notice it any more. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

fricatus wrote: »
    Admittedly I haven't seen the ad, but it sounds like this is the gambling connection:

"Let's check with VAR" = you're watching football

"Yes it's ten euro" = you have won money gambling based on the outcome (as opposed to just being happy because Liverpool or whoever are now 1-0 up)

It's so insidious, we hardly notice it any more. :mad:

It's for now TV - day passes cost a tenner.

Still an annoying as feck ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rub a Dub

Wakey Wakey kids. Rise and shine!

Leopardstown xmas races. Shoot me now.

Rub a Dub wrote: »

I do sort of enjoy that, parents getting back at annoying Xmas morning kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

Rub a Dub wrote: »

Ah it's a Leopardstown ad. I nearly broke the radio at work punching the off button before it got that far. How much of a twat do you have to be to come up with something as horrendous as this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I do sort of enjoy that, parents getting back at annoying Xmas morning kids.

Took me minute to cop onto it, thought it was quite good myself tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

One for the anoracks.

Bargaintown advert wishing everyone a happy Christmas.

They are getting great value from the production. It was made back in 1987 and voices are Bill "hot hits" Cunningham and Martin Block.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement