Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Eddie Hobbs' latest financial services vehicle. "Loightning flashes about recession."

Fűck off Eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Expunge

What's the story with the pronunciation of Dacia?

In the Irish radio ads, it's Da-See-Ah and on the UK ones it's Da-Chee-Ah.

It is not very important at all, I know, just 'driving' me crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Expunge

I didn't think Skoda could do an ad with a more annoying collection of VOs than the father and son from Drogheda hi with the added West Brit D4-head (his name escapes me at the moment but he souned like Jazz Alley's Donald Helme)

Brian de Salvo, caller.

https://vimeo.com/showcase/5884923

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Expunge wrote: »
    What's the story with the pronunciation of Dacia?

In the Irish radio ads, it's Da-See-Ah and on the UK ones it's Da-Chee-Ah.

It is not very important at all, I know, just 'driving' me crazy!

Sounds like another Pew-jho/Purr-jho situation. That one drives me nuts. Where's the 'R' sound in that word, Brits?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The fella voicing the Clayton Hotel ad is so annoying. What is his accent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

No more appliances delivered ads seeing as they've gone into administration...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

sweetie wrote: »

Buy & Sell morphed into Appliances Delivered and now oblivion - can't say that I'm surprised.Their Ads won't be missed.

Mr E wrote: »
    I'd say it was the same guy doing the 4 accents too, which kind of defeats the purpose. :)
    It definitely is. The LImerick and Northern accents were especially atrocious. For me, it's not even ennoying, I'm embarrassed on behalf of the person responsible for that ad, who said, "That sounds good, I have done my job".

Surely it only riles people, in Limerick and Ulster, to have Darby O'Gill-standard accents purporting to represent how they speak? What a strange ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Buy & Sell morphed into Appliances Delivered and now oblivion - can't say that I'm surprised.Their Ads won't be missed.

A great day for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

"What if..."
    "What if..."
    "What if...

What if your unicorn could fart rainbows?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,883 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I hope O'Kane is still owed for those ads, and the receiver never pays her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

"IN GERMANY, VE DONT JUST SIMPLY VOSH OUR CARS, VE KHRANZES ZEM KHLEAN"

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The ad promoting the Steve Martin/Martin Short gig.

Not the actual ad itself, but the lameness of that joke...

“35 Years later, and you’re still The Jerk.”

The show could be redeemed if they perform ‘My Little Buttercup’ from ‘Three Amigos’ :)

Never have I been happier that a company has gone down the sh1tter. Good riddance to crap advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"The company said trading conditions and very challenging market conditions had led to the closure"

They were set up in 2016. Surely the point is that the business model wasn't really feasible from the start. While I don't like to see any business shutting down I am also delighted that Deirdre O'Kane will no longer be on the airwaves. Well at least not on those ads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Abhaile ads. I know its a serious matter but are you really telling a mum at the school gates that you're behind on your mortgage repayments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Appliances Delivered was owned in some way by Denis O'Brien. Guess it had not been going well but they decided to throw massive ad volumes (using sister companies) at it, but still failed.

Explains how you heard the ads so much!

Must have been literally not selling anything in the end, not as if we are in recession or property slump.

Genghis wrote: »
    Appliances Delivered was owned in some way by Denis O'Brien. Guess it had not been going well but they decided to throw massive ad volumes (using sister companies) at it, but still failed.

Explains how you heard the ads so much!

Must have been literally not selling anything in the end, not as if we are in recession or property slump.

You can polish a turd all you like, but it's still a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The GoMo ad; just what accent does yer wan have? It's so weird, I can't actually place it. I think it might just be someone from abroad who's lived here for a long time and has a developed a mix of accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

The GoMo ad; just what accent does yer wan have? It's so weird, I can't actually place it. I think it might just be someone from abroad who's lived here for a long time and has a developed a mix of accents.

I think I recognise the accent and i think it's the young black girl from the young offenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Who is this “Shaaare” person appearing in the Three Arena in Nov.

Never heeeeeard of the artist.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Pretty sure I heard the same actor, doing the same voice, on two separate consecutive ads, with no obvious transition between them. It came across as, 'What? As well as having to put his clothes back on at the optician's, he's now asking them about energy-efficient windows?!'

You'd have to wonder about Skoda. First they have an ad telling us about how designed for the Irish market their car is................ voiced in a plummy English accent. Now they have taken to mocking the different accents from around the country.

You'd have to wonder about Skoda. First they have an ad telling us about how designed for the Irish market their car is................ voiced in a plummy English accent. Now they have taken to mocking the different accents from around the country.

“Mocking”

Wee bit strong there,my friend, don’t you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“Mocking”

The “Limerick” one does seem to be a bit of a joke but that could just be because of the Rubber Bandits slagging off the Limerick skanger.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

“Mocking”

I certainly don't think that it could be described as complimentary!!

I certainly don't think that it could be described as complimentary!!

Why not,dude?

It’s an ad, bit of fun to it, cannot understand how buttoned - up folk come out and try to take issue with it.

Does every ad. now have to be “complimentary” can we not have a bit of fun to these ads.

Over.......!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

mimimcmc wrote: »
    I think I recognise the accent and i think it's the young black girl from the young offenders

I thought it was the girl that does the entertainment news on RTE - she was in Dancing Thingie ?

The “Limerick” one does seem to be a bit of a joke but that could just be because of the Rubber Bandits slagging off the Limerick skanger.

It's stupid, they couldn't find a small selection of people talking in their normal regional accents that could actually be cool, but no just hire a Mario Rosenstock wannabe and turn it into a silly accent joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It's stupid, they couldn't find a small selection of people talking in their normal regional accents that could actually be cool, but no just hire a Mario Rosenstock wannabe and turn it into a silly accent joke.

I guess it’s either that or you get Emmet Kirwan, Bernard O’Shea or Kevin McGahern.

Maybe they were trying to “shake” things up.

Nice to hear an “inner city” Dub on the radio who’s not some “sleeveen” type though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement