Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I guess it’s either that or you get Emmet Kirwan, Bernard O’Shea or Kevin McGahern.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

It's stupid, they couldn't find a small selection of people talking in their normal regional accents that could actually be cool, but no just hire a Mario Rosenstock wannabe and turn it into a silly accent joke.

And the overall narrator on the Skoda ad - doesn't he also do the Home Instead / Wiltshire farm pre-packaged tasteless meals for the elderly ads? Seems he is everywhere these days.

Problem is every time he trys to sell a skoda on air, I keep thinking of Jimmy shoving a load of Salmonella ready frozen tv dinners into mary's freezer and then months later reading in the papers how Jimmy is up in court on fraud charges for holding mary's and dozen's of other elderly peoples pension books.

dogmatix wrote: »
    And the overall narrator on the Skoda ad - doesn't he also do the Home Instead / Wiltshire farm pre-packaged tasteless meals for the elderly ads? Seems he is everywhere these days.

Problem is every time he trys to sell a skoda on air, I keep thinking of Jimmy shoving a load of Salmonella ready frozen tv dinners into mary's freezer and then months later reading in the papers how Jimmy is up in court on fraud charges for holding mary's and dozen's of other elderly peoples pension books.

I don't think he does the silly voices, just the opening and closing bits. But yes he is everywhere esp anything that appeals to the elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Who?

Do you listen to the radio much? The guys mentioned above do an excessive amount of ad work. On tv too.
    dogmatix wrote: »

Alway feel we’re left hanging when she asks him if he wants a “cup of tea”, just waiting for a sleazy saxophone to blast out.

Also, do you find that Jimmy doesn’t sound like your average delivery driver? Do “Wiltshire Farm Foods” pay their delivery drivers well? Or maybe Jimmy was done for something, most likely “white collar”, and is getting back on his feet?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Do you listen to the radio much? The guys mentioned above do an excessive amount of ad work. On tv too.

Alway feel we’re left hanging when she asks him if he wants a “cup of tea”, just waiting for a sleazy saxophone to blast out.

Also, do you find that Jimmy doesn’t sound like your average delivery driver? Do “Wiltshire Farm Foods” pay their delivery drivers well? Or maybe Jimmy was done for something, most likely “white collar”, and is getting back on his feet?

Jimmy is the modern day equivalent of Benny Hill (Ernie) or Pat Mustard and he's definitely delivering more than dinners to Ireland's pensioners.

• Advertisement

Not on name terms with any of them, don't care enough to look them up to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not on name terms with any of them, don't care enough to look them up to find out.

I’m guessing you don’t watch much tv if you know neither Bernard O’Shea nor Kevin McGahern. Kirwan I can understand as he’s more “famous” for his voice over, poetry and theatre work.

Do you never recognise the same voice doing ads for Lidl and McDonalds or Dacia and 3 Mobile? Among other things, as well.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? I can understand an elderly person not watching tv or paying attention to “details” but I find it very strange when somebody under, say, 50 doesn’t watch tv.

Is it computer games you’re into?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

That bloody Doublebase Emollient Gel ad.

Yeah my friend's kids is in agony with Eczema, I'm really going to burst into a "dum dum dum dum" jingle to tell her how to treat it. Worse still is the mum repeating the jingle with a laugh. Does my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

Newstalk 106

Poor Jimmy from Wiltshire Farm Foods who was delivering frozen dinners to dear aul' Mary, ("AHHHH Jimmy your a star" "have you time for a cuppa" who comes up with this crap???)
    He must have lost that delivery job and going under a different name as i heard him talking on another ad (also on Newstalk) about being in Mortgage arrears and that he should go and talk to Abhaile,

That will teach ya jimmy for not having that cuppa with Mary!!

I’m guessing you don’t watch much tv if you know neither Bernard O’Shea nor Kevin McGahern. Kirwan I can understand as he’s more “famous” for his voice over, poetry and theatre work.

Do you never recognise the same voice doing ads for Lidl and McDonalds or Dacia and 3 Mobile? Among other things, as well.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? I can understand an elderly person not watching tv or paying attention to “details” but I find it very strange when somebody under, say, 50 doesn’t watch tv.

Is it computer games you’re into?

Sorry none of your beeswax. You can guess all you like, I couldn't care less.
    Just not interested in so called celebrities. Recognise the voices but just zero interest in where they come from. It's like I may enjoy a glass of milk but couldn't give a fiddlers fűck whether it came from Buttercup or Daisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭thesandeman

What's the story with the latest Specsavers ad? Something about a kid going to the doctor with his hands stuck to his face.
    I can't see the reasoning behind it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Jimmy is the modern day equivalent of Benny Hill (Ernie) or Pat Mustard and he's definitely delivering more than dinners to Ireland's pensioners.

:eek:

What! Not knobbing them is he?

Surely not?

You can polish a turd all you like, but it's still a turd.

Even with a spray of glitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Ad on Radio about pester power and being such a big hero when your children want sweets and all the soul searching you have when you have to say no.

One actually says, oh you can have cheese and crackers (which is probably as bad as sweets)

Easy knowing i've no kids as Id just say, what part of NO do you just not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

anewme wrote: »
    Ad on Radio about pester power and being such a big hero when your children want sweets and all the soul searching you have when you have to say no.

One actually says, oh you can have cheese and crackers (which is probably as bad as sweets)

Easy knowing i've no kids as Id just say, what part of NO do you just not understand?

Yeah you would need to have kids to understand the ad. It’s aimed at parents

• Registered Users Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yeah you would need to have kids to understand the ad. It’s aimed at parents

They will still put on weight if you give them cheese and crackers instead of sweets.

Argh,that bloody Gaiety panto advert!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Argh,that bloody Gaiety panto advert!!
    This is no ordinary advert

I don't know whether this has been asked before, but does the station offer a menu of "volumes" to the potential advertiser? Ordinary volume - standard rates
    20% above usual volume - add 20%
    30% above usual volume - add 30%
    and so on?

I don't know whether this has been asked before, but does the station offer a menu of "volumes" to the potential advertiser? Ordinary volume - standard rates
    and so on?

That volume practice should be banned.

However spare a thought for those who listen to US radio stations.

They shout at the top of their voices, accompanied by blaring music and bang crash wallop stuff.

Fifteen minutes is usually the max I can last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

There can only be one sponsor for the upcoming Lionel Richie show... :D

https://www.linoritchiedublin.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,893 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

and so on?

Bung Cormac a fiver and he'll turn up the compression for you, kind of thing?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I sincerely hope those Beer munch ads don't pop up on radio.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

All those ads with creepy Santas are awful
    The ho ho gives me the creeps...

"And we're going to keep telling ourselves that every day"

Can you imagine the smug shít that came up with the new AIB ad, 'Yeah, the snowflakes will suck this right up". And the management of a many Billions of euro company thought, 'yeah cracking idea, lets go with it - that wont make our potential customers wish for their brains to bleed out through their ears.'

The thing is, the actual idea behind the environmental mortgage is a good thing. Incredibly annoying ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

The ad for the EPIC museum where he's pretending to accept an award..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Them Skoda ads are getting worse..... Unity, Unity, Unity, Wheres Unity?

We do it in the toilet, we do it in the car, we do it in bed....

Why does that hosting.ie ad woman sound like she's wearing a plastic bucket on her head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree....it’s absolutely dreadful. What absolute rubbish.
    "And we're going to keep telling ourselves that every day"

Can you imagine the smug shít that came up with the new AIB ad, 'Yeah, the snowflakes will suck this right up". And the management of a many Billions of euro company thought, 'yeah cracking idea, lets go with it - that wont make our potential customers wish for their brains to bleed out through their ears.'

The thing is, the actual idea behind the environmental mortgage is a good thing. Incredibly annoying ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I take it the dad with the most important meeting in the world ever ...who just might go for a spin in an average car, has already been mentioned?

You can tell the marketing people now just want to appeal to every person.

I'm a dad
    I'm a father
    I'm a ......fill in blank.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement