Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Deirdre O'Kane. You know I didn't think it was possible to hate her more than I already did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jesus - Teresa Mannion doing a safety ad now for driving in hailstones!

"Drive in a high gear to maintain contact with the road, drive slowly over the pellets, use your hazard lights"

FFS! lots of slow moving hazard flashing cars all over the country now - for the sake of a shower or two! How on earth have we all survived until now without these daily warnings on how to survive our catastrophically ordinary weather? (we barely had a Winter this year!)

Are you serious .

The way Paddy drives in bad weather is to shut off all lights and put the shoe down as hard as he or she can, drive up the tailpipe of the car ahead, and then come the ‘auld soldier’ when the inevitable crash happens.

“ Aaaahhh Jaysus ,never seen the car love, bleeding snow”

Would you go way outa dat.

Are you serious .

The way Paddy drives in bad weather is to shut off all lights and put the shoe down as hard as he or she can, drive up the tailpipe of the car ahead, and then come the ‘auld soldier’ when the inevitable crash happens.

“ Aaaahhh Jaysus ,never seen the car love, bleeding snow”

Would you go way outa dat.

there's a happy medium ;)
    I hate being told how to do something I've been doing all my life- safely too (but I take your point!). We're living in a bit of a nanny state at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Or my absolute favourite: Northside, ( drum sound) Northside (drum sound), the great big shopping centre. Northside !!
    That jingle could easily be 40 years old. If the composer and performers are dead does that mean they don't have to pay royalties any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Petrona flexivan - WTF ?? LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

flazio wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. Imagine if every ad on the radio was "Alexa add 'our product' to the shopping list", it would get pretty annoying very quickly.

Ads on Sky News are using the word Alexa.

there's a happy medium ;)
    I hate being told how to do something I've been doing all my life- safely too (but I take your point!). We're living in a bit of a nanny state at times.

We are Maggie, but it’s not us it’s aimed at.

How many times have you seen spongs driving on Mways in misty drizzlie conditions with spray flying from lorries,tooling along as if it was CAVU(clearance and visibility unlimited)conditions.

Maggie, Paddy will do anything on the roads he/she thinks they can get away with.I have seen it all,Maggie,as you probably have.

How many times have you seen a tool driving in almost dark conditions with no lights?

No, you don’t need the lights to see, you spong, you need them to be seen.

Sorry for the rant, but these stults annoy me big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

plodder wrote: »
    That jingle could easily be 40 years old. If the composer and performers are dead does that mean they don't have to pay royalties any more?

I don't think that jingle gets played anymore. Last time I heard it I was buying some Cookeen in Dunnes in 86 !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,821 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

5555555555 wrote: »
    Petrona flexivan - WTF ?? LOL

Is she not a Bulgarian politician?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Hal3000 wrote: »
    I don't think that jingle gets played anymore. Last time I heard it I was buying some Cookeen in Dunnes in 86 !
    It sure does. I only heard it again a few months ago. Couldn't believe it.

Apparently, cookeen still exists too :)

http://www.princesgroup.com/brands/cookeen/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Get out of town !!! That's incredible ...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Give it a lift, give it a lift, give it a lift emmmm with cookeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who is the girl who does a lot of the advert voice overs on RTE2 FM?

She gets wil' excited about everything, too excited!

I hear her voice on loads of adverts (Heinz soup being my current bugbear), and there is also her counterpart on TodayFM, but that one is slightly less shrill.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,821 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Good gawd. They also made a margarine.
    It was bloody awful.
    Had the consistency of a half-brick of clay and guaranteed to rip the bread to bits except on a baking hot summer's day. Then it would just melt in the dish. Hopeless stuff and tasted yuck.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Who is that stult who does the Phoenix ads.

That voice breaks my balls, heard him today and was close to canting the thranny out into the far haggard.

Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Mattresses-Delivered.ie - the guy doing it either has a serious speech impediment, loose dentures or some other problem. It took me several attempts to figure out what was being sold - don't forget the hyphen. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Imagine Su-fast broadband.

This voiceover is not unique or unusual, it’s terrible diction.

Is it not a prerequisite that voiceover actors can speak correctly?

Imagine Su-fast broadband.

This voiceover is not unique or unusual, it’s terrible diction.

Is it not a prerequisite that voiceover actors can speak correctly?

I was going to mention that one too. I heard it as 'soup fast' broadband. What flavour soup I was wondering.

That voice breaks my balls, heard him today and was close to canting the thranny out into the far haggard.

Terrible.
    quite possibly the all-time worst. I hate it.

Is he trying to impersonate Haughey or does he really speak like that, whoever he is?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

He's trying to impersonate the former owner of the magazine who was trying to impersonate Haughey and gradually got worse at it as time passed, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Terrible.
    It's their CEO. Why bother hiring someone else if you can voice it yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

So their CEO does a bad CJH impersonation? Has nobody told him? :)

Mr E wrote: »
    it seems to be an ego thing when management do their own ads (unless they're celebrities in their own right, like Ben Dunne or Niall Quinn)

So they're probably not the kind of person who can sit down and say 'Look, this is total crap'.

Mr E wrote: »
    it seems to be an ego thing when management do their own ads (unless they're celebrities in their own right, like Ben Dunne or Niall Quinn)

So they're probably not the kind of person who can sit down and say 'Look, this is total crap'.

It's not even bad in a 'all publicity is good' kind of way. The voice portrays (to me anyway) a certain type of middle-class penpushing civil servant who loves to get a mention in the social pages of the Phoenix.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭depaor01

I'm worried about the Oul' Mr. Brennan ad. Oul' Mr. Brennan's unnamed wingman has always been voiced by actor Bill Golding. Either he has really bad flu, or Bill has been retired. We should be told!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

L1011 wrote: »
    He's trying to impersonate the former owner of the magazine who was trying to impersonate Haughey and gradually got worse at it as time passed, as far as I know.
    i The voice portrays (to me anyway) a certain type of middle-class penpushing civil servant who loves to get a mention in the social pages of the Phoenix.

They've been doing it since the '80s. Is was crap back then and has only gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

depaor01 wrote: »
    I'm worried about the Oul' Mr. Brennan ad. Oul' Mr. Brennan's unnamed wingman has always been voiced by actor Bill Golding. Either he has really bad flu, or Bill has been retired. We should be told!

Speaking of the '80s, this went the viral of its time, on copied c90s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr5FjLlW-7M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

There’s an ad on either RTÉ or Newstalk, I think it’s for the AA, but not sure, because it’s so bad I immediately switch it off when it comes on.

It’s a dog talking about his owners going away, and then “the dog” talks about the neighbour’s dog Fifi in a wink-wink nudge-nudge way. It just sounds like a creepy human who fancies a dog, and now I feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

There’s an ad on either RTÉ or Newstalk, I think it’s for the AA, but not sure, because it’s so bad I immediately switch it off when it comes on.

It’s a dog talking about his owners going away, and then “the dog” talks about the neighbour’s dog Fifi in a wink-wink nudge-nudge way. It just sounds like a creepy human who fancies a dog, and now I feel sick.

There's a load of them with that fúcking dog and each one is worse than the last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

depaor01 wrote: »

It's definitely a new actor, doesn't sound like the usual fella at all. :( I don't like it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement