Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Genghis

Newstalk have started to re-play to death that ad for van fleet. It goes through my head. "I need a fleet, Pete" Teeny, Weeny, In-betweeny, ha ha ha etc. In particular I hate the last little bit "and a few teeny-weeny-in-between vans too". PFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That bloody ad for Hiace vans...."a hiace van is yer only man"....no it f*cking isn't....love the stereotypical tradesman type going on about who-knows-what....if he'd any sense he'd buy a VW transporter or a transit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Any radio ad featutring a ringing mobile phone should be banned outright....
    By the way what is the name of the charity being sponsored on radio by Ciaran Fitzgerald, the former rugby interrnational?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Wertz wrote:
    That bloody ad for Hiace vans...."a hiace van is yer only man"....no it f*cking isn't....love the stereotypical tradesman type going on about who-knows-what....if he'd any sense he'd buy a VW transporter or a transit...

yes! and I hate - I HATE - that accent that he puts on. That Salt-of-the-earth ol' fashioned dub one - I hate it. See also, Charlie Kelly from Fair City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I hate the voice of the guy that does the voiceover for the Toyota ads on the radio and television. Their is just something about it that irritates me, espically when he says "The best built cars in the world" (which they are not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Lets face it, radio ads in this country are either boring or stupid, they are devoid of humour, creativity and are a waste of airtime which is why their core message is lost and people tune out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The current advert for the Evening Herald is VERY annoying.

Last time I looked, the Evening Herald viewed itself as a national newspaper, including being on sale in most shops around the country.

But the current radio ad says "Get to know your city in order to win a car".....fine by me, I've no problem learning more about Limerick.

But the ad goes on to say that if you can identify the Dublin street from the clues in the paper you could win a mini.

What the hell does that have to do with me "getting to know MY city ?"

And if there's a local edition of the paper, shouldn't they either (a) advertise that on local Dublin stations or at least (b) emphasise that the ad is for the local Dublin edition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Liam Byrne wrote:
    The current advert for the Evening Herald is VERY annoying.

Last time I looked, the Evening Herald viewed itself as a national newspaper, including being on sale in most shops around the country.

But the current radio ad says "Get to know your city in order to win a car".....fine by me, I've no problem learning more about Limerick.

But the ad goes on to say that if you can identify the Dublin street from the clues in the paper you could win a mini.

What the hell does that have to do with me "getting to know MY city ?"

And if there's a local edition of the paper, shouldn't they either (a) advertise that on local Dublin stations or at least (b) emphasise that the ad is for the local Dublin edition ?

it's primarily a Dublin newspaper which sells nationwide. and Limerick is not a city, is it? :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

el diablo wrote:
    it's primarily a Dublin newspaper which sells nationwide. and Limerick is not a city, is it? :rolleyes:
    ehh.. actually is it last time i looked..

we do exist, people from outside dublin you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Well seeing as you said it theres some ad on for a hotel in Sligo city , which if if you ask me is a bit misleading since when did Sligo town recieve its city charter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sligo is full of signs for a "city" centre. Iaronrod Eireann certainly include it as a city.

el diablo wrote:

Has been since 1197......

"Limerick's City Charter is older than that of London's, granted to the city in 1197 by King John. "

Should hardly be a surprise to anyone with any nominal level of interest in any events outside the Pale. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Has been since 1197......

"Limerick's City Charter is older than that of London's, granted to the city in 1197 by King John. "

Should hardly be a surprise to anyone with any nominal level of interest in any events outside the Pale. :rolleyes:
    never been there but I've heard it's an unpleasant place.....;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Ehhh can we go back to discussing Radio Ads please.

Thank you.

el diablo wrote:
    never been there but I've heard it's an unpleasant place.....;)

You heard wrong. Guess that's not surprising considering that you hadn't even heard that it was a city.

Now back on topic, please. The point (in keeping with the thread) was that the ad is annoying because it says "get to know your city" and that phrase is confusing (and misleading, since it's a competition). Anything you've posted so far is both incorrect and off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Really annoying ones besides the D-4 voice ones are the misleading ones:

Eircom Phone Watch... Oooh watch out the burglars are outside your house right now, waiting for you to turn your back!

NTL one, "It's free! I can give you a 1000 zloty note"... It's not free, It's 3 months free but you have to sign up to a 12 month contract, so really it's just the price is reduced by 25%!

But there's a few other annoying ones... "Daft Dave" of course... Did they really buy and close a factory in Portugal? And now they are coming back laughing about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There are 2 ads being played nearly every adbreak on Newstalk.

1. I'm getting a new car! She'll look good in my new car! We can go there in my new car! Do you have a new car? (GE Money)

2. A fiver! A fiiiiver!! Its a fiiiiiiiver (some poxy inkjet refill company)

Once an hour might be acceptable, but every second adbreak? Jesus....

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

All of the TV license ads are rancid and have a threatening undertone to them too, they try to show some humour but its lost in the threat of "jail" or whatever!!

There's another one where a this one is chattin with her dog and he's barking back the answers...pure infantile!

The latest iteration for one of these phone directory enquiry lines, that does the usual lame trick of trying to instill the 1850 number in your memory by making it into a catchy jingle....except this time they've got 3 blokes mumbling it and it is so far from memorable that I can't even recall the number even though I only heard it about 10 minutes ago.

Oh yeah and that latest myhomedahayeeee with yer man twittering on about fakey wakey websites.
    Sod off back to whenst thy came and take your poxy website with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Oh no, not the fakey-wakey-web-site ad! That is truly terrible... Some of these ads are so annoying I just tune out, it was only a few months ago I realised that Harvey Norman was an electrical and furniture shop.. when it opened in Limerick...

By the way, the "NTL quiz" - Brian out of Family guy doesn't drink beer, does he? I thought it was Martini and the like...

Any ad where a character finds themselves in a quandary, and is helped out by a friend suggesting they use the product...

Better go home now, who knows what kind of burglars are going to work on my house while I'm away...

• Advertisement

komodosp wrote:

By the way, the "NTL quiz" - Brian out of Family guy doesn't drink beer, does he? I thought it was Martini and the like...

Yes you're right, but why get bogged down with superfluous details when all you have to do is namedrop something cool and zany with the kids (man) and watch the order hotline light up with potential new subscribers?
    That's the attitude of most people in the radio advertising industry in Ireland at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Yeah yeah, it's a telly ad but I just had to get it off my chest...

I SERIOUSLY WANT TO BLUDGEON THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR THE NEW BUDWEISER "MAN SCREAMING LIKE A GIRL" AD WITH SOMETHING BLUNT AND METAL.

Thanks.
    komodosp wrote:
    Better go home now, who knows what kind of burglars are going to work on my house while I'm away...

EIRCOM PHONEWATCH DO...!

Damn those BUHHHHGLARS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

bard wrote:
    Damn those BUHHHHGLARS!

Make sure you get that voice deep enough:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

swingking wrote:
    Make sure you get that voice deep enough:D

Actually, I said it in the style of Fr. Ted yelling "Damn you Father Dick Byrne!" and shook my fist while saying it. Does that count too? :p

(but yes, my voice does go as deep as phonewatch ad guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Those indigestion adds with the frog and his girlfriend make me feel queasy. After the frog groans and moan for what seems like a vomit inducing eternity, his dripping girlfriend bleats "are you all right love, want me to rub it?" "Ribbet, ribbet," he groans before we're a treated to the merits of some louzy indigestion tablets. Disgusting

And I hope GE money loans about fellow who raves about his new car, how his girlfriend will look in his new car and whether his mate is getting a new car crashes. Those Lemsip ads with the bitter office worker bitching about her hot colleague give me a headache; who wants to be subjected to the sounds of someone spluttering and sneezing into the microphone. I 'd rather have Daft Dave over for dinner, to talk about tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

That feckin ad with the son asking his dad to get broadband

"Dad Will we ever get broadband, everyone has it!!" in a really annoying high-pitched voice.

or

the bloody women who say they love lent, because they are giving up meat.

aargh!!!!:mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

komodosp wrote:
    you should ring them and give out, ah no wait, they'll be busy, cause their "Products have turned out to be more popular than they expected" and worlds most annoying automated voice will tell you that while your on hold for the rest of lent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Kiiiiitchen world makes your dreams come truueee

Kiiiitchen world is the one for youuuuuuu

:eek:

Or
    (to YMCA type tune)
    Noyek Newmans!kitchens doors decks and floors!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

"Meet Laura, she likes to wrestle with girls in the mud, and tapdance across graveyards at night. Now she wants broadband, so Mum and Dad gave into her teenage whinings and forked out for Eircon"

• Advertisement

swingking wrote:
    or the bloody women who say they love lent, because they are giving up meat.

I had a great laugh at that one.......I doubt there's many burger joints that you'd have to avoid if you were giving up actual real meat!

Odd that the ad writers didn't spot the potential irony of that one!

"I'm giving up meat for Lent, but I can still go to SuperMac's" :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement