Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christians should not celebrate Halloween.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Apparently law enforcement officials in the US see Halloween as time of increased risk for children due to trick and treating. Therefore some locations round up all their sex offenders in one place for the evening: http://www.indiescribe.com/2007/10/halloween-safe-.html

This may support my point about the dangers of Halloween. On the other hand it may just confirm what we've always thought about American law enforcement officials. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

PDN wrote: »
    On the other hand it may just confirm what we've always thought about American law enforcement officials. :)
    Finally, something we can agree on ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Wouldn't it just be simpler for a parent, or someone semi responsible, to walk around with the kids and keep an eye on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wouldn't it just be simpler for a parent, or someone semi responsible, to walk around with the kids and keep an eye on them?

That would mean finding some parents who are semi-responsible - no easy feat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ashanti~Rose

I think some of you are getting witchcraft mixed up with Satanism.
    People who believe in Wicca do not indulge in the occult,naked orgys or human sacrifice,they worship the Goddess and Mother Earth and they love animals..also on one of these threads it was mentioned that witches believe in Satan,...they don't as they do not believe in the Devil period. I wish ppl would get their facts straight!
    As for Halloween I think its great fun for the kids and I love it myself..theres nothing evil in it whatsoever.
    Sharon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

People who believe in Wicca do not indulge in the occult
    Excuse me?

People who believe in Wicca may do whatever the heck they want, but those of us who practice Wicca do indeed indulge in the occult.

I know some occultists don't think much of the Wiccan approach (though often they are just tarring us with the same brush as every wanna-blessed-be who calls themselves Wiccan), but we are still serious about our Craft. Where do you get off saying we don't indulge in the occult?
    worship the Goddess
    Nice not to forget the God too. It's a bit tricky having a fertility religion without at least one of each - parthenogenesis is one of the things that Wicca differs from Christianity on (not that other Pagan paths don't have a place for it, or that some Wiccans might not believe in it, but it doesn't have any place in Wiccan orthopraxis).
    Mother Earth
    That title is a 16th Century alegorical one used by Christian writers. Associations with our Goddess and other goddesses came later.
    and they love animals
    I especially love mine on a plate :)
    ..also on one of these threads it was mentioned that witches believe in Satan,...they don't as they do not believe in the Devil period.
    Depends on the both the type of witch and exactly what you mean by "believe" (I certainly believe there is such a concept as Satan, people mention it all the time. Granted I don't believe in its literal existence, but then neither do some Christians and it's their concept, so who am I to argue).
    I wish ppl would get their facts straight!
    Funny really. I find it hard to care much when people from some other religion are being so worried about one of their holidays sharing a historical connection with one of there holidays that they stop their kids from doing something that is pretty much unconnected with both my path and theirs.

I find it mildly irritating to a certain extent when people believe Jack Chick tracts about Samhain being a god and the Druids doing stuff with pumpkins (clever those Druids, carving pumpkins thousands of years before white people had ever seen a pumpkin) but only in the way that any deeply stupid comment is irritating.

Mostly I just think the sane Christians can do a good enough job of arguing against the loonies in their midst. Us Pagans have enough loonies ourselves without much caring what anyone else's loonies think.

But if someone is going to actually defend Wiccans and other witches, I do wish they'd get their facts straight first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

kept meaning to go through this thread, wanted to comment because of my atheistic theory that religion is just a way of remembering useful things and times through stories.

from my little bit of reading, samhain is about insolation, sunlight, summer as wicknight said(although 10 pages of discussion and it hardly got a mention) celtic samhain is based on the solar calender as opposed to the lunar one, lunar samhain moon might be a few days later...

insolation is the amount of solar radiation that hits the earth, samhain is around the first week in november which is when the bi-annual mid point of the amount of sunlight we get as the earth rotates and turns around the sun, so obviously the insolation is reducing at this point of the year signifying the start of winter and all that brings...in-relation to agriculture, end of harvest, ability to travel during winter etc. whatever effect it might have nowadays on urban people.

so that comes first before any pagan or other type of god...or lack there of. :P

so in answer to the OP should christians celebrate halloween, not really but they should be aware of the amount of sunlight and mark the time on your calender

Advertisement