Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christians should not celebrate Halloween.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I'm a Christian Mom and my kids will be dressing up and going trick or treating. I draw the line though at the macabre Halloween decorations which adorn many houses now.

I suppose I look on Halloween the way non Christians look at Christmas; it's a fun time-the origins of which mean nothing to me. If I thought my childrens faith were to be affected in any way I'd think differently.I know that my 11 year old son who was discussing Revelation with me last week, will not be put off this by his dressing up on wednesday night. If however, I were to stop him from partaking in the Halloweeen festivities due to my Christian beliefs, I think I would do more damage to his faith.

Btw PDN, I am not impressed with your comments on carol singing- I organise carol singing with our church every year and we raise quite a bit of money for charity! We never 'beg' for money but rather leave boxes for people to donate money if they wish. We find people really enjoy the carols, and though the lyrics may be a bit twee, it is sometimes the only reminder to alot of folk as to what the season's really about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Okay then, please cite your scources that Aleister Crowley was a satanist.

“I bind my blood in Satan,
    All that lieth betwixt my hands
    To thee, the Beast, and thy control,
    I pledge me; body, mind and soul.”

Aleister Crowley (Satanic Extracts)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

RTDH, I am well-versed in the works of Iron Maiden - I suspect you took your name from a single of theirs? Do you think that maybe it's all part of the act?

The Beatles wrote about a serial killer by the name of Maxwell. As far as I am aware, none of them are/were serial killers.

djpbarry wrote: »
    RTDH, I am well-versed in the works of Iron Maiden - I suspect you took your name from a single of theirs? Do you think that maybe it's all part of the act?

The Beatles wrote about a serial killer by the name of Maxwell. As far as I am aware, none of them are/were serial killers.
    I already discussed my title on another post and mentioned that I had played them for years at gigs and rock nights as a rock & metal DJ. I still have appreciation for many of their tracks such as the one i use on my profile , No group has yet been able to match them as a tribute band eespecially with the voice of Bruce Dickenson.

Music lyrics have had great influence on known serial killers, Charlse Mansons lyrics and hate messages helped to influence the two killers in the Columbine High School Massacre. The White Album from the Beatles played a key role in forging Charlse Manson's warped ideology. According to Family member Paul Watkins, "Before Helter Skelter came along, all Charlie cared about was orgies." And Yes, the Beatles were also influenced by Crowley and placed him among dozens of other influential figures on the cover of their concept album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Most people, especially in 1967, did not even know who Crowley was but the Beatles certainly did.http://images.google.com.br/imgres?imgurl=http://www.danielestulin.com/ciacms/media/imagenes/img24112006-30011.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.danielestulin.com/ver.php%3Fid%3D26&h=650&w=650&sz=569&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=TO6YB7uzoFvMAM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2Bbeatles%2Bcrowley%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Why would one name a rock group after a spiked body case used to torture people to death?.

Iron Maiden's favorite subjects to sing about are sorcery and savagery. Their fascination with the occult is evident on albums like "POWER SLAVE", which delves in Egyptian mysticism and magic. On their Album, "SEVENTH SON OF THE SEVENTH SON", lead singer and lyricist Bruce Dickinson belts out songs about demons and creatures of insanity. The album cover depicts Eddie, the Iron Maiden mascot symbolizing death, hovering above a gloomy civilization. In his hand he holds a ripped-out heart, which is also chained to his rib cage. http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://991.com/newGallery/Iron-Maiden-Seventh-Son-Of-A-338763.jpg&imgrefurl=http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp%3Fcatalogid%3D338763&h=350&w=342&sz=32&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=87SaZCKftQT9SM:&tbnh=120&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3DIron%2BMaiden:%2B7Th%2BSon%2Bof%2Ba%2B7Th%2Bson%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN On the other side of the LP, Eddie writes in a journal by the light of monstrous candles with a crystal ball before him.

Iron Maiden celebrates the number seven which astrologists credit as the number of the moon, in the SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON". In a song called, "THE CLAIRVOYANT", Dickinson relates the struggle between God and the devil for a telepathic child's soul.The boy falls in love with the devil's daughter and eventually kills himself in the song, "ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG". Their first claim to fame was the album, "NUMBER OF THE BEAST", which featured a song dedicated tot he Antichrist.

They burnt the Irish tri colour at a concert in the north back in the 80ies, they apologised for this, I accept their apologies and never had a problem playing their music however I almost ended up in a fight while playing them at a rock night over this. You can check for yourselves any of their the Lyrics. http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Iron-Maiden-lyrics/66D2A1130B64E80D4825699D0029BD7D

I understand that Iron Maiden's Blaize Bailey period wasn't exactly their high-point (what were they thinking? The guy just can't sing...) but you seem to be incredibly selective in the sources that you cite with regards to their, uh, alignment.

What about "The Unbeliever"? Or even most of the songs on the Bailey albums?

"All of my life I have believed
    Judgement of heaven is waiting for me"

I find that a lot more pro christian than "Number of the Beast" is pro satan..
    Not even to mention "Hallowed be thy Name" which you seem to have neglected to listen to on "Number of the Beast". You have a seriously biased point of view on the matter.

And fwiw, I personally don't think their lyrics reveal anything one way or the other wrt "spiritual alignment". It's just a bit of fun... Kinda like haloween, I suppose.

Also, as was my understanding, it was not their heroes that the Beatles put on the cover of SPLHCB, but rather people they'd like to attend their concert. As was the concept of the album. This was rather explicitly stated on the inside cover of a more recent version of the album...

Anyway, were the people on the cover exclusively their heroes, then why have younger versions of themselves? Also, did not they intend to have Hitler on the cover?

Bah, why do I even rant; what a lot of pedantry on my part!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Music lyrics have had great influence on known serial killers, Charlse Mansons lyrics and hate messages helped to influence the two killers in the Columbine High School Massacre. The White Album from the Beatles played a key role in forging Charlse Manson's warped ideology in particulat the track "Helter Skelter".

So? How many serial killers have drawn their inspiration from the Bible?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

The good old days!

For that you'll need either a time machine or a basin, water, string and apples - whichever is easier.

Or you could just come to my wednesday night party!!!

I dont do Halloween and my daughter understands why she dresses up, we are having a fancy dress party, with games 4 parents are to bring the children around door to door to help the halloween party...(better than explaining to each persons door you knock on what samhain is)

the parents are also dressed up and it is going to be the best party around...

bobbing for apples and the old apple on a string are the main games a few blind man buffs and pass the parcel...

its called fun...

the reason for dressing up on Samhain is so the evil sprits dont take you away... you dress up to blend in with the sprits that walk the earth that 1 night!!!

The Church is the cause of evil they are the ones who spread the lies about other religions being evil... so they would get a better following!

Halloween is a Catholic religion, for the saints...it has been molded with Samhain to make the transition between the pagans becoming catholic alot easier...

So dont blame parents for this blame pope george the 4th and 5th...

and go read your own religions evil history before you go stating that things are evil!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

You're great.
    But what this has to do with appropriateness of Christians partaking in Halloween celebrations is anybodies guess.

was the 160th post towards me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Should it be ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Scofflaw wrote: »
    So? How many serial killers have drawn their inspiration from the Bible?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

But scofflaw, you're forgetting that serial killers aren't real christians! :rolleyes:

Should it be ?

i dont think so i was just confirming

bluewolf wrote: »
    But scofflaw, you're forgetting that serial killers aren't real christians! :rolleyes:

Darn those clever theists!

foiled again,
    Scofflaw

So? How many serial killers have drawn their inspiration from the Bible? cordially, Scofflaw
    If they have they obviously have not read it. I.e The 10 Commandments.... Thou shalt not kill.

doesnt god not forgive all?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If they have they obviously have not read it. I.e The 10 Commandments.... Thou shalt not kill.
    I see. So if a guy listens to Helter Skelter and then goes out and kills ten people, it's The Beatles' fault. But if another guy reads the Bible and goes on a killing spree, it's his own fault because he misinterpreted the scripture? How convenient.

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

bluewolf wrote: »

Not getting into your 'devils music' debate here. But the above statement said with sarcasm, 'IS TRUE'. If someone says they are christian but shows by his works he is not a christian, then he's not a christian. that might frustrate those who which to show chrisianity up as evil etc etc, but its an absolutely valid statement of fact. Anti christian folk love to go on about the crusades etc as an example of christianity in action. The thing is, it was the furthest thing from christianity. Things like that are not 'a history of christianity', they are a history of bad people doing bad things, trying to say that they can do it on Gods authority. David Koresh, Fred Phelps etc etc continue in this vain. It would be great if folk would realise that if someone contradicts the teaching of Christ, they are not christian. Simple.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

jimitime wrote:
    It would be great if folk would realise that if someone contradicts the teaching of Christ, they are not christian. Simple.
    Not really that simple at all. That current (wonderful!) argument currently going on in one of the other threads about what's the exact level of immersion into water which confers protection against death does suggest to me that the instructions that are in the bible are not clear.

The bible, of course, offers many different interpretations and what people choose is the right one is completely up to them, despite their claims to the contrary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Guess you'd better stop eating plants and animals then

• Advertisement

JimiTime wrote: »
    Not getting into your 'devils music' debate here. But the above statement said with sarcasm, 'IS TRUE'. If someone says they are christian but shows by his works he is not a christian, then he's not a christian. that might frustrate those who which to show chrisianity up as evil etc etc, but its an absolutely valid statement of fact. Anti christian folk love to go on about the crusades etc as an example of christianity in action. The thing is, it was the furthest thing from christianity. Things like that are not 'a history of christianity', they are a history of bad people doing bad things, trying to say that they can do it on Gods authority. David Koresh, Fred Phelps etc etc continue in this vain. It would be great if folk would realise that if someone contradicts the teaching of Christ, they are not christian. Simple.

The problem is, as robin points out, that the teachings of Christ are open to interpretation. Fred Phelps thinks he is a good Christian - why are you right, and Fred Phelps wrong?

Even on this thread, RTDH would clearly have difficulty with someone who claims to be a good Christian celebrating Halloween, whereas BrianCalgary, who I would consider to be a good Christian, celebrates it.

In truth, no-one can say in this life who is a true Christian and who is not. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The problem is, as robin points out, that the teachings of Christ are open to interpretation. Fred Phelps thinks he is a good Christian - why are you right, and Fred Phelps wrong?

Even on this thread, RTDH would clearly have difficulty with someone who claims to be a good Christian celebrating Halloween, whereas BrianCalgary, who I would consider to be a good Christian, celebrates it.

In truth, no-one can say in this life who is a true Christian and who is not. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I am surprised at such a lazy analysis from you Scofflaw. While there may be certain interpretations that can be contentious between various denominations, there is a few that are far from it. Murder and hatred being quite categorically against Christs teaching. Certain interpretations are certainly more valid than others. And for the recorld, the bible is quite clear on the people who are baptised. All were of age to make the choice. You'd have to ask the RCC why they introduced baby baptism, because its nothing to do with the bible's account of baptism. As i think PDN has said on occasion, there are valid and invalid interpretations. As for judging, I'm not judging folk as damned or saved. I am judging if they are christian or not. A serial killer, is truly not a christian. So yes Robinch, it is that simple. We have the great advice that Christ gave his flock, 'a tree will be known by its fruit'.

I am surprised at such a lazy analysis from you Scofflaw.

I'm ill! And so is my wife.
    While there may be certain interpretations that can be contentious between various denominations, there is a few that are far from it. Murder and hatred being quite categorically against Christs teaching. Certain interpretations are certainly more valid than others. And for the recorld, the bible is quite clear on the people who are baptised. All were of age to make the choice. You'd have to ask the RCC why they introduced baby baptism, because its nothing to do with the bible's account of baptism. As i think PDN has said on occasion, there are valid and invalid interpretations.

Hmm. Jimi, correct me if I'm wrong, but you would consider the Catholic Church to be very far adrift from the Biblical message? And while I have a good deal of respect for PDN, he doesn't cause me to discount two millennia of other thinkers and analysts, whose work forms the body of Catholic doctrine, and who represent one of the two unbroken strands of Christianity.

So, while I accept that you are fully sincere in what you say, it only serves to demonstrate what I am saying - that there are many interpretations of the Bible, and a lot of them have been used historically to justify all kinds of things that both you and I would disagree with. Unfortunately, that you and I would disagree with them doesn't make them wrong except as far as we're concerned, because neither you nor I are Christ.

We are products of our culture, and we would now see the Bible as unequivocally condemning slavery and killing - but earlier cultures saw the Bible as unequivocally upholding them. I would say that we are more enlightened than they, but they lived closer to the time, and much closer to the culture of Christ than we do. What makes you right, and them wrong?
    As for judging, I'm not judging folk as damned or saved. I am judging if they are christian or not.

Essentially the same thing, I would say. Again, how is that you, in particular, are in a position to judge the true Christian from the false?
    A serial killer, is truly not a christian. So yes Robinch, it is that simple. We have the great advice that Christ gave his flock, 'a tree will be known by its fruit'.

When did you last eat quince, or medlar? These are fruits that were popular up to a century ago, and are hardly ever encountered now.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I'm ill! And so is my wife.

Get well soon.
    Hmm. Jimi, correct me if I'm wrong, but you would consider the Catholic Church to be very far adrift from the Biblical message?
    Correct.
    And while I have a good deal of respect for PDN, he doesn't cause me to discount two millennia of other thinkers and analysts, whose work forms the body of Catholic doctrine, and who represent one of the two unbroken strands of Christianity.

Personally, i think thats why alot of catholics can't get their head round the possabilty that their church may be wrong. It may be there for a geat length of time, but I'm sure even a limited knowledge of Christs teaching would show its behaviour to be spurious. Crusades, indulgences, heretic burnings, hypocracy, forbidding to marry, political power, seeking the glory of men, etc etc. Just reading Matthew would probably be sufficient TBH.
    So, while I accept that you are fully sincere in what you say, it only serves to demonstrate what I am saying - that there are many interpretations of the Bible, and a lot of them have been used historically to justify all kinds of things that both you and I would disagree with. Unfortunately, that you and I would disagree with them doesn't make them wrong except as far as we're concerned, because neither you nor I are Christ.

But it would make them wrong. Quite simply, by Jesus' teaching of 'love God, your neighbour and your enemy'. His lifes example, and then the examples of the apostles. It all serves as a testimony against the RCC church. Plain and simple.
    We are products of our culture, and we would now see the Bible as unequivocally condemning slavery and killing - but earlier cultures saw the Bible as unequivocally upholding them. I would say that we are more enlightened than they, but they lived closer to the time, and much closer to the culture of Christ than we do. What makes you right, and them wrong?

Well christ makes them wrong. As i mentioned above. It is that simple.

Essentially the same thing, I would say. Again, how is that you, in particular, are in a position to judge the true Christian from the false?

Because we have been warned as to watch out for the pretenders, the hypocrites etc. As i said, 'a tree will be known by its fruit'. Someone who calls themselves 'christian', that goes out and kills prostitutes lets say, well, they obviously are not Christian. Its not the same as saying they are damned. i don't believe we have the right or the power to damn people. To assume that even a serial killer is damned, I think, is getting beyond ourselves. I can understand why such an assumption would be made, but it still not our place to say.

When did you last eat quince, or medlar? These are fruits that were popular up to a century ago, and are hardly ever encountered now.

Quince and Medlar. Well I only had a quince and medlar pie on Sunday Mmmmm.:)*

*by quince and medlar i mean apple and redcurrent. quince and medlar??

Get well soon.

Thanks!
    Correct.

Personally, i think thats why alot of catholics can't get their head round the possabilty that their church may be wrong. It may be there for a geat length of time, but I'm sure even a limited knowledge of Christs teaching would show its behaviour to be spurious. Crusades, indulgences, heretic burnings, hypocracy, forbidding to marry, political power, seeking the glory of men, etc etc. Just reading Matthew would probably be sufficient TBH.

Again, forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Christian fundamental right in the US a rather prominent supporter of the war on Iraq? Does the Christian right not seek political power? Also the Salem Witch Trials, Calvin's Geneva, etc.

Each and every Christian who has 'strayed' from Christ's message, as you would see it, is in his own eyes on the narrow road - you are the stray. I know you think a 'simple reading of the Bible' will suffice to show you right, and them wrong, but they think exactly the same.
    But it would make them wrong. Quite simply, by Jesus' teaching of 'love God, your neighbour and your enemy'. His lifes example, and then the examples of the apostles. It all serves as a testimony against the RCC church. Plain and simple.

Well christ makes them wrong. As i mentioned above. It is that simple.

Yes - see above. They would argue exactly the same ('Christ makes you wrong') - and without the living Christ to judge, who can know the truth?
    Because we have been warned as to watch out for the pretenders, the hypocrites etc. As i said, 'a tree will be known by its fruit'. Someone who calls themselves 'christian', that goes out and kills prostitutes lets say, well, they obviously are not Christian. Its not the same as saying they are damned. i don't believe we have the right or the power to damn people. To assume that even a serial killer is damned, I think, is getting beyond ourselves. I can understand why such an assumption would be made, but it still not our place to say.

And someone who goes out and kills witches? After all, it's in Leviticus.

Quince and Medlar. Well I only had a quince and medlar pie on Sunday Mmmmm.:)*

*by quince and medlar i mean apple and redcurrent. quince and medlar??

Quince and medlar. There's a medlar tree in Stephen's Green, around the back of the theatre. Not to modern tastes...which is the point.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Thanks!

I actually hope you die you pig!*

*an extreme example of unchristian behaviour. Its not an example of christianity, but an example of a 'christian' engaging in very unchristian behaviour. i could possibly reason that your atheistic ways, and disrespect for God justifies what I said. However, As I said, a quick look at Christs teaching and lifes example will show I'm talking nonsense. Of course, i do hope you recover.:)
    Again, forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Christian fundamental right in the US a rather prominent supporter of the war on Iraq? Does the Christian right not seek political power? Also the Salem Witch Trials, Calvin's Geneva, etc.

'Any', behaviour that goes against christs teaching and example is unchristian. Be it in evangelical circles or whatever. The RCC has the history that most point to to show 'christianity' in action, which is why I'm rounding on them particularly. The groups you mentioned are making their own spurious history now. As a person who see's issues with so much of the denominations I've known, I can simply reason with my bible and my prayer and my wife, family and a small group o friends. Like an independant TD who doesn't have to tow the party line. There was actually a guy on Jerry Ryan this morning answering a complaint from a woman who said that the xmas shoebox appeal was being used by an evangelical christian group to spread christianity to these poor areas. She quoted their American branch, run by a guy named Franklin Graham, who said 'Hindus are in the grip of satans power, and islam is evil'. He fumbled around like a politician saying things like 'we oppose all evil' etc, but would not directly answer Ryan when asked if he believed if all muslims were evil etc. But the way he was evasive, was not because he believed or didn't believe this statement; he kept on asking for the context, which was irrelevant when Jerry Ryan just asked him 'Do you believe all muslims are evil?'. It was like he was concerned with giving an answer, just in case he gave the 'wrong' one. His alliegence was to his brand, his party, and his integrity was in tatters IMO, after the discussion.

Each and every Christian who has 'strayed' from Christ's message, as you would see it, is in his own eyes on the narrow road - you are the stray. I know you think a 'simple reading of the Bible' will suffice to show you right, and them wrong, but they think exactly the same.

TBH, some things are not as cut and dry when discussing, I would see them quite clearly as cut and dry, but others wouldn't. However, there are somethings that are plain and simple. Of these things, it is easy to see, such as murder, if one is christian or not.

Yes - see above. They would argue exactly the same ('Christ makes you wrong') - and without the living Christ to judge, who can know the truth?

We will be judged, thats for sure. But it wont be on how much water touched your head in baptism. As for truth. Its not about information. Jesus is himself the truth. Live by his example and he will set you free. His example its easy to say, would not have involved the crusades or indulgences or Iraq etc. One of the simple mental notes I take with me through life is this, 'what would jesus do?'. Using that simple question, one is usually fairly clued in to most situations. At the end of the day, he was tortured, humiliated etc, but still lead us by example. 'forgive them father for they know not what they do'. He was our living example of how to be a behave as christians. Using ones wits, you can spot the pretenders quite easily IMO.

And someone who goes out and kills witches? After all, it's in Leviticus.

Adultery was punishable by death in leviticus. Did Christ stone Mary Magdalene? He brought a new way. the new covenant.

I actually hope you die you pig!*

*an extreme example of unchristian behaviour. Its not an example of christianity, but an example of a 'christian' engaging in very unchristian behaviour. i could possibly reason that your atheistic ways, and disrespect for God justifies what I said. However, As I said, a quick look at Christs teaching and lifes example will show I'm talking nonsense. Of course, i do hope you recover.:)

'Any', behaviour that goes against christs teaching and example is unchristian. Be it in evangelical circles or whatever. The RCC has the history that most point to to show 'christianity' in action, which is why I'm rounding on them particularly. The groups you mentioned are making their own spurious history now. As a person who see's issues with so much of the denominations I've known, I can simply reason with my bible and my prayer and my wife, family and a small group o friends. Like an independant TD who doesn't have to tow the party line. There was actually a guy on Jerry Ryan this morning answering a complaint from a woman who said that the xmas shoebox appeal was being used by an evangelical christian group to spread christianity to these poor areas. She quoted their American branch, run by a guy named Franklin Graham, who said 'Hindus are in the grip of satans power, and islam is evil'. He fumbled around like a politician saying things like 'we oppose all evil' etc, but would not directly answer Ryan when asked if he believed if all muslims were evil etc. But the way he was evasive, was not because he believed or didn't believe this statement; he kept on asking for the context, which was irrelevant when Jerry Ryan just asked him 'Do you believe all muslims are evil?'. It was like he was concerned with giving an answer, just in case he gave the 'wrong' one. His alliegence was to his brand, his party, and his integrity was in tatters IMO, after the discussion.

TBH, some things are not as cut and dry when discussing, I would see them quite clearly as cut and dry, but others wouldn't. However, there are somethings that are plain and simple. Of these things, it is easy to see, such as murder, if one is christian or not.

We will be judged, thats for sure. But it wont be on how much water touched your head in baptism. As for truth. Its not about information. Jesus is himself the truth. Live by his example and he will set you free. His example its easy to say, would not have involved the crusades or indulgences or Iraq etc. One of the simple mental notes I take with me through life is this, 'what would jesus do?'. Using that simple question, one is usually fairly clued in to most situations. At the end of the day, he was tortured, humiliated etc, but still lead us by example. 'forgive them father for they know not what they do'. He was our living example of how to be a behave as christians. Using ones wits, you can spot the pretenders quite easily IMO.

Adultery was punishable by death in leviticus. Did Christ stone Mary Magdalene? He brought a new way. the new covenant.

I'm not trying to trip you up here - I agree with what you're saying. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that either you or I are right.

I shall just go on considering you a good Christian (by my lights) then. For what that's worth, of course, coming from a dyed-in-the-wool atheist.

respectfully,
    Scofflaw

Also, given "WWJD", may your fig trees be fruitful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

There was actually a guy on Jerry Ryan this morning answering a complaint from a woman who said that the xmas shoebox appeal was being used by an evangelical christian group to spread christianity to these poor areas. She quoted their American branch, run by a guy named Franklin Graham, who said 'Hindus are in the grip of satans power, and islam is evil'. He fumbled around like a politician saying things like 'we oppose all evil' etc, but would not directly answer Ryan when asked if he believed if all muslims were evil etc. But the way he was evasive, was not because he believed or didn't believe this statement; he kept on asking for the context, which was irrelevant when Jerry Ryan just asked him 'Do you believe all muslims are evil?'. It was like he was concerned with giving an answer, just in case he gave the 'wrong' one. His alliegence was to his brand, his party, and his integrity was in tatters IMO, after the discussion.

Franklin is Billy Graham's son. As often happens he's not the man his father was. Another argument against nepotism.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    The reason I am against Halloween is what it represents, ie a Pagan feast day of the dead, and as a Christians why should I have anything to do with it. As I said before I can see nothing wrong with having an altrernative party for the kids on a different theme without all the doom and gloom etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Run to the Hills........Run For Your Life.......Iron Maiden-Now thats the devils music. I hope your not a fan rtdh cause that band is Halloween.;)

Advertisement