Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian O' Doherty nasty special olympic jibe in today's indo

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I've given up being outraged about things, I mean there is so much we are supposed to be outraged about I can't keep track.

You should be given an award for that remark. Seems everyone's outraged by everything these days.

brim4brim wrote: »
    Exactly, that is what he was trying to do. Personally I found neither insulting or funny. It was just a comment.

Does the special Olympics soccer team get the same level of applicants for the manager role as the national team? If so then his remark was unfair but I don't think thats the case. Any national soccer manager that finds himself suddenly managing a special Olympics soccer team would probably consider it a demotion.

I have no doubts that the author is probably an idiot but its not wrong to make the comment, its just not good journalism either because he was trying to write a witty remark and failed terribly.

I can't believe politically incorrect people are on here defending themselves. What's the world coming to? Why don't we just continue to speak our mind and offend the hell out of people until the learn to lighten up? Rather than defending our 'vicious, racist, mysogynistic, homophobic, blah blah blah' whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Look, it's clear that he was ATTEMPTING to insult Staunton and not the Special Olympics' team.

However, to use the Special Olympics reference in order to insult Staunton shows a callous disregard for all their efforts and is actually more offensive IMO than, for example, just coming out and saying "the Special Olympics is cr@p".

His comment betrays an underlying feeling that the Special Olympics team and their efforts are worthless.

O'Doherty is undoubtedly too stupid to understand this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The tale of the ugly duckling is racist.

The black cygnet is shunned by its family until it grows up and becomes white.
    It's an analogy on how white is more beautiful than black.

My point?
    People will find fault in everything if they look hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ian wants to be a real journalist when he grows up.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

did some posts just dissapear there?

copacetic wrote: »
    did some posts just dissapear there?
    Yes.
    This one:
    Your point is obvious Terry but unfortunately it's a very poor one.

His comment betrays an underlying feeling that the Special Olympics team and their efforts are worthless.

No it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Can posts still be read after they are deleted ?

I immediately deleted that post because I didn't want an argument to be honest but I'll stand by it now that you have quoted me terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My comment can be viewed just below the article linked on the first page here. Also posted one in my gf's name too! :)

• Advertisement

Can posts still be read after they are deleted ?

I immediately deleted that post because I didn't want an argument to be honest but I'll stand by it now that you have quoted me terry.
    Your posts can be seen by other mods when they are deleted (but only by mods of the particular forum you have posted on).

I know you didn't want to get into an arguement, but don't be afraid to criticise my posts.
    I'm not going to ban you for disagreeing with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

dbnavan wrote: »
    Just sent him this by email,

Quote:
    Dear Ian,

I have this morning been shown the piece you wrote on Steve Staunton where you, moronically referenced the possibility that he might get a job managing the Irish Disabled Team. As a suffer of Cerebral Palsy and an ex-representative of the team I think you should publicly, and possibly in person apologise to the team and coaches who put in a major amount of training, and under go a lot of physiotherapy in order to wear the green of Ireland.

Having a disability and being able to kick a ball far from guarantee the right to get on one of these teams. And our coaching staff are fully trained in working with the disabled, have a knowledge of Cerebral Palsy, as well as having FAI coaching badges, which would put Stan out of the reckoning.

I love the way not one of the "can't offend me" crowd have addressed this quote directly.

Yet here it is from the horses mouth, so to speak, probably the most pertinent post in the whole thread:
    A disabled athlete expressing offence at the comment.

Do any of the other posters care to tell the poster he's too sensitive and takes offence too easily?

tech77 wrote: »
    Do any of the other posters care to tell the poster he's too sensitive and takes offence too easily?

Yeah, me.

PS - this isn't a troll. The writer of the above letter has every right to think that the journalist is a moron but to be grossly offended is an overreaction IMO. There are a$$holes everywhere. Ignore them. Whining makes you almost as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

dbnavan wrote: »
    Just sent him this by email,

dbnavan - do you think Ian Doherty could get his game? He has no physical disability apart from a bad case of slob'itus but his mental condition is a source of much discussion, some say one of his lobes is 'missing'. I can only surmise it is his frontal lobe.

Laslo wrote: »
    Yeah, me.

PS - this isn't a troll. The writer of the above letter has every right to think that the journalist is a moron but to be grossly offended is an overreaction IMO. There are a$$holes everywhere. Ignore them. Whining makes you almost as bad.

OK so, SO athletes should just stfu and let morons run their mouth off any time they like, is that it?

Lets all remain PRIVATELY offended and let an unfavourable view of disability be re-inforced by comments like that.

Whatever about being "grossly offended" can they atleast be regularly offended.

Also "whining" is completely off the mark TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Yeah, me.

I never claimed to be grossly offended, I merely pointed out that he caused offence to every SO who works bloody hard to earn the right to represent their country. I would challange any able bodied person to under go the training these men go through, in wind & rain. And then try it with a disability, AND THEN belittle it, by saying a crap manager might get a job with them.

OK so, SO athletes should just stfu and let morons run their mouth off any time they like, is that it?

Yeah. Athletes and everyone else for that matter. I have the utmost respect for SO athletes myself. Let me put it like this though - if it wasn't for people being 'outraged' and 'offended' then guys like Ian O'Doherty wouldn't get jobs as journalists. If someone wants to be 'offensive' (see obnoxious idiot with no social skills) then it best to ignore him/her.

Yeah. Athletes and everyone else for that matter. I have the utmost respect for SO athletes myself. Let me put it like this though - if it wasn't for people being 'outraged' and 'offended' then guys like Ian O'Doherty wouldn't get jobs as journalists. If someone wants to be 'offensive' (see obnoxious idiot with no social skills) then it best to ignore him/her.

So by that reasoning if i tell you to go *fcuk off with that stupid argument i should hear no more from you, right?
    You'll be quietly ignoring it will you.

*Not necessarily telling you to fcuk off of course. It's more for the sake of argument. ;)

So by that reasoning if i tell you to go *fcuk off with that stupid argument i should hear no more from you, right?
    You'll be quietly ignoring it will you.

No, I'd just laugh at you (and possibly pity you). Although if some complete stranger approached you and started telling you to fcuk off, then that would more than likely suggest a physical threat. Different story entirely.

It's an impossible question to answer really.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's an impossible question to answer really.

certainly with your inane arguments anyway. 'If anyone does anything crass, offensive and repulsive, just ignore them'. That's simply a cowardly attitude that allows any behaviour from anyone. We are a society here people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

This takes me back to the mid 1980s.

A friend of mine was standing outside the supermarket where I worked collecting money to raise funds for a local person to compete at the forthcoming special olympics.

I had a ten minute break so decided to have a chat with him outside.

A middle aged man approached and David said 'support the special olympics' or something like that.

The man stopped, marched over to him and started shouting.

'Special? What's so f*cking special about them? Special implies that they're superior and they're certainly not that'.

He then walked off.

Advertisement