Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian O' Doherty nasty special olympic jibe in today's indo

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Spot on Lazare.

its always the same ,the same tired auld warhorses spouting shíte and adopting the high moral ground on these threads.

Thats what Iano is paid to do, read it,or don't read it, but spare us the bleeding hearts for Chrissakes,and get a frikken life.

thats rubbish bantam, he is paid to write stuff that is out of left field and maybe offends and makes you think. not just lazy jibes at two soft targets. If that is what he is reduced to you would have to feel he won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lazare wrote: »
    'nasty special olympic jibe' LOL. And LOL @ the easily offended, sure you may as well give Joe a call while you're at it.

Keep up the good work Ian.

Is this an attempt at a troll or are you just a tw*t? These are people that have accomplished and overcome more in life than you or I ever will and some clown completely undermines their achievements by aiming a cheap joke in their direction. Yeah that's good journalism alright :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

Par for the course in the ugly, vicious, greedy, grasping, uncaring, me féin, "me me me it's all about me", callous, crass, sociopathic wasteland that Bertie and Mary built.

The Indo and all its slavering drooling imbecilic hacks are merely reflecting the society of complete tossers we have become over the last decade.

This country sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

He'd get a swift knee in the balls if he made such a pathetic attempt at wit in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

It's just more of the same drivel from the Independent. O'Doherty is just looking for attention. Ignore him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah...

Sorry Dudess my sarcasm detector may be on the blink but which side are you on again? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

have to admit I found it funny

edited

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

MooseJam wrote: »
    Dude it's the special Olympics not the Olympics, they basically just have to show up, it's not an amazing feat in any way shape or form

Well done, thats the most ignorant thing I have seen on boards in ages.

Dude it's the special Olympics not the Olympics, they basically just have to show up, it's not an amazing feat in any way shape or form

Oh right so they don't spend months training before hand? They don't overcome serious mental difficulties to perform in a sporting event? If anything it's harder for them because, as I've said, they've more to overcome. Last thing they need is to be looked down upon by fat journalists. Would love to see O'Doherty compete.

So unless someone is fully able bodied or basically just 'normal' it's ok to take the pi*s?

• Advertisement

you don't know what you are talking about, most of the participants at the special olympics train for years to get a chance to go. Anyone who worked with the children or adults when we had it here would vouch for how hard they all worked and how much the cared about doing the best they could. They give out a lot more medals, big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Cheapshot...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

MooseJam, I would love to arrange for you to meet with the Irish special olympics team and say that to their faces and the faces of their families. It takes a certain type of brave man to type that from behind their pc screen.

gee calm down guys, I take it back, no harm intended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is this an attempt at a troll or are you just a tw*t?

Although I was aware my post could've been perceived as a troll attempt, I can assure you it's my opinion. I'm glad there's nice people like you in the world that have the ability to be offended on anothers behalf. I'm terribly sorry, but I'm unmoved either way by IO'D's remark.

Oh, and in answer to the second part of your question, no.

Btw, I find it hard to take someone who feels the need to censor the word twat seriously. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

MooseJam warned.

I see you have retracted your statement while I was giving you an official warning.
    Had you really wanted to retract it, you could have deleted your post and asked that the subsequent posts be deleted.

Although I was aware my post could've been perceived as a troll attempt, I can assure you it's my opinion. I'm glad there's nice people like you in the world that have the ability to be offended on anothers behalf. I'm terribly sorry, but I'm unmoved either way by IO'D's remark..

Then why comment that the Special Olympics mean nothing. Clearly you are moved one way or the other otherwise you wouldn't have posted that you agreed with him -
    Lazare wrote:
    Keep up the good work Ian.

Btw, I find it hard to take someone who feels the need to censor the word twat seriously. lol.

Well wasn't sure if it was acceptable so just wanted to make sure you could see what I thought of you and your comment. 'Twat'. That better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Talk about taking a cheap shot at someone.

IOD's column is always full of cheap shots.

To be honest, I don't see the point in his column at all. It is not at all funny, he just seems to go out of his way to be as offensive to as many people as possible.

The guy is a crap journalist and drags the tone of the Indo down (yes, lower than usual). The only reason I read the bloody thing is that its free online and the IT isn't....

Terry wrote: »
    MooseJam warned.

I see you have retracted your statement while I was giving you an official warning.
    Had you really wanted to retract it, you could have deleted your post and asked that the subsequent posts be deleted.

well I'll try that so, could you delete subsequent posts, thanks dude

Although I was aware my post could've been perceived as a troll attempt, I can assure you it's my opinion. I'm glad there's nice people like you in the world that have the ability to be offended on anothers behalf. I'm terribly sorry, but I'm unmoved either way by IO'D's remark.

no-one is asking for you to be offended. classifying what he said as 'good work' and to keep it up is what I personally think puts you up there with him. Especially now that you are asssuring us it is your opinion.

although I see now you are saying you are unmoved either way, which seems to be a radical move away from your earlier trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

well I'll try that so, could you delete subsequent posts, thanks dude
    Too late at this stage.
    Sorry.

I will delete any further responses though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

tech77 wrote: »
    Sorry Dudess my sarcasm detector may be on the blink but which side are you on again? :)
    No probs. Twas sarcasm. :)

Then why comment that the Special Olympics mean nothing. Clearly you are moved one way or the other otherwise you wouldn't have posted that you agreed with him -

Please quote where I said the special olympics mean nothing, as I can't find where I said that. I also never said I agreed with IO'D, I just didn't find it at all offensive.
    I said 'keep up the good work' because I enjoy reading his column, sometimes I don't agree with him (war in Iraq for instance), but I like the way he speaks his mind.
    The ott reaction on this thread to his comment moved me to post, not the comment itself.

FWIW, I find all athletics terribly boring, special or not.

copacetic wrote: »
    no-one is asking for you to be offended. classifying what he said as 'good work' and to keep it up is what I personally think puts you up there with him. Especially now that you are asssuring us it is your opinion.

My opinion is it's not offensive.

'Keep up the good work' is meant in a general sense.

FWIW, I find all athletics terribly boring, special or not.

Since when has the Olympics only been about athletics? O'Doherty was talking about soccer.

Well wasn't sure if it was acceptable so just wanted to make sure you could see what I thought of you and your comment. 'Twat'. That better?

Hyper-sensitive perhaps?

Since when has the Olympics only been about athletics? O'Doherty was talking about soccer.

Athletics, soccer, whatever. I'm disinterested in it all equally.

Hyper-sensitive perhaps?

Hey by all means dwell on something that's OT.

Athletics, soccer, whatever. I'm disinterested in it all equally.

So your disinterested in sport in general basically? Fair enough. Whether you're interested or not, there is no reason for O'Doherty to undermine an accomplishment, sporting or otherwise.

• Advertisement

Hey by all means dwell on something that's OT.

I'm making a point that someone who censors the word 'twat' for fear of it offending, may be easily offended themselves.

Advertisement