Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian O' Doherty nasty special olympic jibe in today's indo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lazare wrote: »
    I'm making a point that someone who censors the word 'twat' for fear of it offending, may be easily offended themselves.

Personally I'm not offended one bit. Why would I be? I just happen to have a lot of respect for the athletes and there is absolutely no need to mention them in a negative light in an attempt to sell more papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

tracert wrote: »

Yeah I'm a big Stephen Lynch fan in general but to be fair that's a lttle bit much. At least it's meant in a funny context I suppose, I've a feeling O'Doherty was being a bit more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Star ftw. You wouldn't see that sort of thing in there! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm a big Stephen Lynch fan in general but to be fair that's a lttle bit much. At least it's meant in a funny context I suppose, I've a feeling O'Doherty was being a bit more serious.
    What? What are you basing that on? You think that Ian O'Doherty has some sort of ill-will towards 'special olympi ans'?

Gimme a f*cking break.

He was clearly taking the p*ss out of Stan, not the SOians.

It now becomes clear to me that you find jokes about the special olympics more acceptable if they're funny. Nice.

Personally I don't give a sh*t about IO'D's comments. They were taking the p*ss out of Stan (and not the SO), and they weren't particularly funny. Move along, nothing to see here.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote: »
    What? What are you basing that on? You think that Ian O'Doherty has some sort of ill-will towards 'special olympi ans'?

Gimme a f*cking break.

It now becomes clear to me that you find jokes about the special olympics more acceptable if they're funny. Nice.

Personally I don't give a sh*t about IO'D's comments. They were taking the p*ss out of Stan (and not the SO), and they weren't particularly funny. Move along, nothing to see here.

I agree that he was taking the pi*s out of the Stan but he did it using an analogy that undermines the achievements of Special Olympics athletes. To be fair there was no need for it and of course people are bound to be offended by it.

There's never a need to take the p*ss out of SOians, but it's funny, that's why Stephen Lynch is so popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Gimme a f*cking break.

Stan is so inept as a manager, "all" he's good for is the SO. Thats insulting to the SO by implication and association.

Of course it is, but the insult was clearly directed at Stan. The SOians will have to live with the fact that they were the collateral damage in an attack on Steve Staunton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Dalfiatach wrote: »
    Par for the course in the ugly, vicious, greedy, grasping, uncaring, me féin, "me me me it's all about me", callous, crass, sociopathic wasteland that Bertie and Mary built.

A much more worrying development than the perceived greed and crassness is the unadulterated moral high-handedness of armchair forum posters. All this PC-bullying and finding offense in everything that everyone says is bloody absurd. We've turned into a bunch of Americans.
    The Indo and all its slavering drooling imbecilic hacks are merely reflecting the society of complete tossers we have become over the last decade.

'We'? By which I assume you mean 'everyone except me and my friends and family'? It's nice of you to make such a sweeping generalisation. Who is it aimed at? Not yourself obviously? You're not a tosser, right? But I am, yeah? What about everyone else on boards.ie?
    This country sucks.

It really does, doesn't it? Why not grace some other country with your presence and leave the rest of us greedy, crass sociopaths behind?

• Advertisement

Of course it is, but the insult was clearly directed at Stan. The SOians will have to live with the fact that they were the collateral damage in an attack on Steve Staunton.

Ah now why should they? If it was a racist comment I don't think the ethnic minorities would just live with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Laslo wrote: »
    A much more worrying development than the perceived greed and crassness is the unadulterated moral high-handedness of armchair forum posters. All this PC-bullying and finding offense in everything that everyone says is bloody absurd. We've turned into a bunch of Americans.

what kind of rubbish is this? armchair forum posters? as opposed to you who do it professionally on some kind of pitch?

PC-bullying? that doesn't even make sense. It's the usual excuse of sad people who want to be allowed to be racist or slag off the disabled or mentally challenged. 'Ah sure you would find offence in anything, just accept that you are a **** and a fair target because of it and we'll be able to direct abuse in your direction with impunity'

you can insert the n word, retard, gimp etc in there, whatever you feel is called for.

I for one don't take offence at everything that everyone says. I take offence when they say things that are offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

copacetic wrote: »
    PC-bullying? that doesn't even make sense. It's the usual excuse of sad people who want to be allowed to be racist or slag off the disabled or mentally challenged. 'Ah sure you would find offence in anything, just accept that you are a **** and a fair target because of it and we'll be able to direct abuse in your direction with impunity'

you can insert the n word, retard, gimp etc in there, whatever you feel is called for.

I for one don't take offence at everything that everyone says. I take offence when they say things that are offensive.
    Yay! Thanks for saying what I've been trying to say (but not very successfully!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

copacetic wrote: »
    what kind of rubbish is this? armchair forum posters? as opposed to you who do it professionally on some kind of pitch?
    LOL! :D

I can't stand political correctness but there is a difference between being un-PC and just being a prick. O'Doherty was being a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Xavi6 wrote: »

Oh man, please cop on. O'Doherty was taking the piss out of Stephen Staunton this guy directly rips the piss out of the special olympics and you think O'Doherty's comment was worse? ffs the hypocracy pains me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

It really does, doesn't it? Why not grace some other country with your presence and leave the rest of us greedy, crass sociopaths behind?

ROFL at "PC bullying". You poor wee defenceless lamb. All your whining sounds to me like a typical case of "likes to dish it out but cannae take it". It's fine for you and IO'D to jeer at defenceless targets, but when sombody kicks yer arse for your lack of simple manners and basic decency you come on with the auld beal bocht. Give me a break. Gimp.

As for leaving, I intend to. Plans are already afoot, and with luck I'll be out of here within a month. I'll come back after you sociopathic gombeens inevitably cannibalise one another. Have fun with that.

hopalong85 wrote: »
    Oh man, please cop on. O'Doherty was taking the piss out of Stephen Staunton this guy directly rips the piss out of the special olympics and you think O'Doherty's comment was worse? ffs the hypocracy pains me.

When did I say either was worse? I said one was meant to be funny, one serious. Both equally as bad as each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

copacetic wrote:
    QFT.
    Dudess wrote: »
    But that's what I mean - there is a number of Boards posters who use the term "PC" as an insult when a person has a legitimate reason for being offended by something. I think it's fair enough to say though, that the two incidents I mentioned (sheep, niggardly) are examples of PC gone mad - they are situations when PC is a bad thing. When posters here aggressively refer to me as "PC" for objecting to something like, say, it being suggested to a black girl that maybe the reason she couldn't get a taxi at night was because she was too difficult to see in the dark, it's as if I'm being unreasonable - that I don't have grounds for indignation.
    Ah right, that's fair enough. I completely misread the point you were trying to make in that post, so I had a go at you over something totally nebulous. I apologise. My bad.

And yes, I would agree that political correctness gone mad is a bad thing. But, as you say, the ideal and whole linguistic rationale behind political correctness does make sense. It would appear, however, that the majority of people see "PC gone mad" and "PC" as synonymous.

Sorry again for biting your head off before:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No probs :)

And also, I get accusations of being a "morally outraged" type - thought that term was how one would describe typical Daily Mail readers, who are anything but PC.
    So... which is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

That O Doherty guy has always annoyed me. Hes close to 40 yet tries to sound like a 14 year sarcastic smart alec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

His peices used to drive to me mad laughter, but the quality of his work has gone way down hill recently. Also, he seems to be structuring his work so much - serious peice on monday, 'zany' storys rest of week.

This is just an attempt by him to gain emails, of which he can complain about a few days later. Which is what happened.

BTW: I didnt find it offenseive at all-it was clearly just a very bad joke about Stevo's lack of mangement skills. And I have members in my extended family with Special Needs, so I'm not biased.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The columnist is clearly an idiot for making a comment like that, but what he doesn't know is that the official manager for the special olympics soccer squad does a better job than staunton could.

Friend of mine recently won gold with the soccer team over there in China :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I've given up being outraged about things, I mean there is so much we are supposed to be outraged about I can't keep track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

How did this guy get a job with a prominent paper ?
    Seriously ?

Seriously ?

Because the Independent is a rag. It's a glorified Herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Just sent him this by email,
    Dear Ian,

I have this morning been shown the piece you wrote on Steve Staunton where you, moronically referenced the possibility that he might get a job managing the Irish Disabled Team. As a suffer of Cerebral Palsy and an ex-representative of the team I think you should publicly, and possibly in person apologise to the team and coaches who put in a major amount of training, and under go a lot of physiotherapy in order to wear the green of Ireland.

Having a disability and being able to kick a ball far from guarantee the right to get on one of these teams. And our coaching staff are fully trained in working with the disabled, have a knowledge of Cerebral Palsy, as well as having FAI coaching badges, which would put Stan out of the reckoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I sent him a mail too:

Hi Ian

I hope you get a good clatter for that piece you wrote. You really deserve it.

Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Seriously ?

prominent? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

The Ian O'Doherty Automatic article Maker:

1) Take a recent news story.
    2) Talk cinicly (sp?) about it.
    3) Make a cheap sarcastic comment.
    4) Repeat 50,000 times.

I used to like reading this guys column, but after a while you realise he has no wit at all. He just serves up the same unimaginative sarcastic comments, day in day out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

He was trying to insult Steve Staunton, not the Special Olympics athletes. Whether you like to admit it or not, the SO athletes are not quite up to the same standard as the national team (although only marginally I would say).

This was the point. You know it was the point. Political correctness is a bad thing. It allows malcontented idiots and bullies to find 'offense' where none was meant, and to jump down the throats of people based on over-analysis of what they say. Maybe Ian O'Doherty is a usually a dick, I don't know as I don't read his paper (the Indo's a retarded rag). All I can say though is that if you're out looking for offense in what people say all the time then you're going to spend the rest of your life being offended.

Political correctness - making complete a$$holes seem like decent, caring people since the 90's.

Exactly, that is what he was trying to do. Personally I found neither insulting or funny. It was just a comment.

Does the special Olympics soccer team get the same level of applicants for the manager role as the national team? If so then his remark was unfair but I don't think thats the case. Any national soccer manager that finds himself suddenly managing a special Olympics soccer team would probably consider it a demotion.

I have no doubts that the author is probably an idiot but its not wrong to make the comment, its just not good journalism either because he was trying to write a witty remark and failed terribly.

Advertisement