Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian O' Doherty nasty special olympic jibe in today's indo

Options
  • 20-10-2007 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this guy's nasty special olympic jibe about Steve Staunton in today's indo.
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/shes-mean--take-the-booker-off-her-1199566.html

I read this guy's column now and then and generally speaking some of his views can be refreshingly different.

However sometimes he gets it spectactularly wrong like on this occasion.
    WTF was he thinking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Yeah was reading it earlier, really pissed me off too.

Talk about taking a cheap shot at someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mightn't be so bad if it was actually witty, but that's just downright unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,071 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Here's the quote
    SCORN NOT HIS SIMPLICITY

There’s been a lot of criticism directed towards our beloved national team coach, Steve Staunton.

But it’s all terribly unfair and really shows a mean spiritedness that doesn’t become us as a nation.

Sure, he has managed the impossible and makes Brian Kerr look like a motivational genius.

Yeah, he has dropped us even further in the seedings and seems incapable of understanding the absolute catastrophe that he has visited upon the team both collectively and individually.

But as anyone can see from the ways his eyes dart shiftily all over the place and he adopts that rictus grin, the poor boy is beginning to comprehend that he may be in too deep.

But there is another job out there, Steven. The Irish Special Olympics football team are looking for a player/ manager – if they’ll have you.

- Ian O'Doherty

Just another reason not to buy the indo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I do find it amusing that he can be offensive to so many other individuals and groups, yet you focus on the last jibe specifically (Selective political correctness?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He might do a very good job indeed with the SO footie team. The only cheap shot is at Stan I'm the gaffer Staunton.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Ahhh... he's just saying he's retarded. His piece doesn't offend me. I can see how it is in poor taste though, and how someone with a child (or whatever) with special needs might be offended.

Ian O'Dohertys job is to be "outrageous" so I don't think regular readers of his column should be upset over this...
    Maybe I'm retarded, but I'm the gaffer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Unacceptable, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Karoma wrote: »
    I do find it amusing that he can be offensive to so many other individuals and groups, yet you focus on the last jibe specifically (Selective political correctness?)

No.
    O' Doherty can be offensive to many groups but in most cases it's
    partly/wholly deserved imho.

Not in this case though.
    I'm sure you'd agree that SO athletes are not deserving of such derision.

Also as Dudess said it was just plain unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

I used to enjoy reading his column back in my immature days but after growing up (a bit) lately my opinion has changed somewhat. It's absolute gutter scutter journalism at its worst. A slight on the otherwise excellent (imo) Indo.

Actually I wouldn't be altogether too surprised if theres a reference made to this thread at some stage next week in his little column.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

obl wrote: »
    Unacceptable, imo.
    Concur.

Nasty, unfunny and really quite shockingly stupid line. What a tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

I assume that was a lecture on whatever journalism course he attended, if any? :rolleyes:

The fact that he doesn't even make a witty remark is nearly as bad. Unfunny and offensive, way to earn your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

That was pretty funny to be honest. There are some serious PC heads in this thread, and quite frankly it's a little retarded* getting in offended about something you were not obliged to buy in the first place.

*Yeah, I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

He has a point.

I'm certainly not offended by it anyway, probably because I'm not retarded.

The term "PC" is seriously over-used and misused. "PC" is stuff like "Baa Baa Black Sheep" being changed to "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" or a teacher in the States being suspended a few years ago for using the term "niggardly" in class.
    It's boring and lazy to constantly pounce on people and brand them "PC" when they find something offensive if they're being reasonable about it.
    dublindude wrote:
    Ian O'Dohertys job is to be "outrageous"
    True. His function is to say stuff purely designed to provoke a reaction, nothing else - a lot like several Boards users. Ian O'Doherty is a professional troll. Best thing is to just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Dudess wrote: »
    The term "PC" is seriously over-used and misused. "PC" is stuff like "Baa Baa Black Sheep" being changed to "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" or a teacher in the States being suspended a few years ago for using the term "niggardly" in class.
    It's boring and lazy to constantly pounce on people and brand them "PC" when they find something offensive if they're being reasonable about it.
    I hate to be argumentative, but no. What you just posted? That's being boring and lazy. Assuming that PC (Political Correctness) is a) a bad thing, and b) something you can "brand" people with is just staggeringly dumb (although an attitude becoming sadly prevalent, it must be said). Political Correctness is about making it socially unacceptably to make offensive remarks like Ian O'Doherty did, to use terminology to belittle and insult a minority group. I'm really, really sick to death of people thinking Political Correctness is a bad thing. Without it, people would still be using words like "******" and making golliwogs...

Being PC is recognising that what we say and the way we say it matters.

EDIT: I love the fact that, as if to prove my point, Boards censors the offensive word I used. Some people would rail against such Political Correctness. I applaud it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I wonder if Iano is hoping for some fame a la M.E Synon... (who was employed by the Indo gorup too...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Political Correctness is about making it socially unacceptably to make offensive remarks like Ian O'Doherty did, to use terminology to belittle and insult a minority group.

He was trying to insult Steve Staunton, not the Special Olympics athletes. Whether you like to admit it or not, the SO athletes are not quite up to the same standard as the national team (although only marginally I would say).

This was the point. You know it was the point. Political correctness is a bad thing. It allows malcontented idiots and bullies to find 'offense' where none was meant, and to jump down the throats of people based on over-analysis of what they say. Maybe Ian O'Doherty is a usually a dick, I don't know as I don't read his paper (the Indo's a retarded rag). All I can say though is that if you're out looking for offense in what people say all the time then you're going to spend the rest of your life being offended.

Political correctness - making complete a$$holes seem like decent, caring people since the 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Its odd. I usually agree wcolumn, yet anytime ive heard him on radio he has come across as an utter twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Concur.

Nasty, unfunny and really quite shockingly stupid line. What a tool.

+1.

He's a clown but i'd say he knew well what reaction it would get, it is his job. As someone said earlier, it' just another reason not to but that horrible horrible rag.

• Advertisement

I hate to be argumentative, but no. What you just posted? That's being boring and lazy. Assuming that PC (Political Correctness) is a) a bad thing, and b) something you can "brand" people with is just staggeringly dumb (although an attitude becoming sadly prevalent, it must be said). Political Correctness is about making it socially unacceptably to make offensive remarks like Ian O'Doherty did, to use terminology to belittle and insult a minority group. I'm really, really sick to death of people thinking Political Correctness is a bad thing. Without it, people would still be using words like "******" and making golliwogs...

Being PC is recognising that what we say and the way we say it matters.
    But that's what I mean - there is a number of Boards posters who use the term "PC" as an insult when a person has a legitimate reason for being offended by something. I think it's fair enough to say though, that the two incidents I mentioned (sheep, niggardly) are examples of PC gone mad - they are situations when PC is a bad thing. When posters here aggressively refer to me as "PC" for objecting to something like, say, it being suggested to a black girl that maybe the reason she couldn't get a taxi at night was because she was too difficult to see in the dark, it's as if I'm being unreasonable - that I don't have grounds for indignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Personally I think Ian O'Doherty is a twat, but I wouldn't find this comment particularly offensive(to me). Stupid yes, but hardly offensive to anyone other than Staunton, the person it's aimed at. The rest of you who are not in fact Steve Staunton/his mother/wife have no reason to be 'offended'. Unimpressed yes, but the jibe wasn't aimed at you nor was it aimed at the special olympics athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dudess wrote: »
    a teacher in the States being suspended a few years ago for using the term "niggardly" in class.

That's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't see what the big deal is, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

'nasty special olympic jibe' LOL. And LOL @ the easily offended, sure you may as well give Joe a call while you're at it.

Keep up the good work Ian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Spot on Lazare.

its always the same ,the same tired auld warhorses spouting shíte and adopting the high moral ground on these threads.

Thats what Iano is paid to do, read it,or don't read it, but spare us the bleeding hearts for Chrissakes,and get a frikken life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

nasty special olympic jibe' LOL. And LOL @ the easily offended, sure you may as well give Joe a call while you're at it.

I dunno.
    Nothwithstanding the fact the primary target of the "joke" was admittedly Steve Staunton I'm guessing if you asked a SO athlete how they felt about it they would say they were offended.

So: if it can be proven
    1) they were actually offended (Almost certainly i would say)
    and
    2) they were undeserving of such offence (Yes)

then i think it's fair to say the "joke" is out of order without being presumptuous.

(Of course I'm waiting for some smartass to say an SO athlete wouldn't understand it to be able to take offence :rolleyes: ).

In summary If IO'D could manage to tell the "joke" and get a bunch of SO athletes to see the funny side i'd gladly take another view. Until then though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Ian O'Doherty is a wanker.

Lazare wrote: »
    Keep up the good work Ian.
    Yeah...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Unimpressed yes, but the jibe wasn't aimed at you nor was it aimed at the special olympics athletes.

it was though, isn't that the whole point?
    Ian reckons that Stan isn't good enough for normal people but maybe the 'spas' will take him, he is good enough for the likes of them?

it's a lazy, small minded comment, like a 10 year old would say. he couldn't think up an actually funny or even cutting or smart remark so threw out a lazy bigotted jibe. but getting worked up by the likes of that idiot just isn't worth it, no doubt they will have complaints and he will make out that it's his freedom of speech to be a lazy thick pen pusher and he shouldn't have to think up any actual smart or even actual properly stunning remarks.

Advertisement