Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The truth!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Training

Cycle in
    - 7.5kms, 20mins

Gym - Cycling Specific Push

Upstairs

Squats - 55Kgs
    Bench - 60Kgs
    Press - 30Kgs
    Single Leg Squat - no bar (pilot squat)
    Side Lunges
    Dips - 41 (5 sets)
    Step Ups

Downstairs
    Leg Raises
    Plank - arm/leg up
    Box Jumps
    Split middle split jumps
    Side to Side Jumps
    Hip bridge / leg extensions
    Plank / Push-ups

Cycle home - 10kms, 30mins

Training

Cycle

51Kms
    1:52 hr

Blessington

8Kms
    0:20 hr

Pick up car

Training

Cycle

51Kms
    1:53 hr

Strength Endurance

Embankment, Seskin Hill x2

Training

1 Hour Turbo Trainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 martin999

appears tp be a decent regime. are you sticking to it? need to loose approx 5kgs. any ideas? 6 foot in height and 102kgs in weight. am fit but food is my problem.

• Advertisement

martin999 wrote: »
    appears tp be a decent regime. are you sticking to it? need to loose approx 5kgs. any ideas? 6 foot in height and 102kgs in weight. am fit but food is my problem.
    On the first question - I'm not sure how you mean am I sticking to it? I use this as a training log to record when I train?

The second question - any ideas on how to lose 5kg? Yes, lots, but would depend on what your diet is currently, how you train etc.

I'd say the best thing for you to do is to have a read of the sticky in the Nutrition and Diet forum, then create a new post yourself in the Fitness Logs forum - and ask people for some input

Measurements - 2012-01-30

Stomach: 80.5cms

Body weight: 71.7Kgs

Training

Gym - Cycling Specific Pull

Upstairs

Squats - 60Kgs
    Deadlift - 100Kgs
    Chins - 42 (5 sets)
    Power Cleans - 45kgs
    DB Ground Row - 16Kgs

Downstairs
    Leg Raises
    Plank Walkout
    Back Raises
    Ball Rolls
    Squat Jump
    Ski Run
    Plank

Training

Cycle in
    - 7.5kms, 20mins

Upstairs

Squats - 60Kgs
    Bench - 60Kgs
    Press - 30Kgs
    Side Lunges
    Dips - 46 (5 sets)
    Step Ups

Downstairs
    Leg Raises
    Plank - arm/leg up
    Box Jumps
    Split middle split jumps
    Side to Side Jumps
    Plank / Push-ups

Training

Cycle

54Kms
    1:48 hr

Delgany - just Dave Mc, fast pace

Training

Cycle

45Kms
    1:31 hr

Brittas - speed

• Advertisement

Training

Cycle in
    - 7.5kms, 20mins

Training

Cycle

62Kms
    2:13 hr

Seskin Hill, Blessington, Seskin Hill (Big Ring)

Training

Cycle in
    - 7.5kms, 20mins

Gym - Cycling Specific Pull

Upstairs

Squats - 60Kgs
    Deadlift - 105Kgs
    Chins - 48 (5 sets)
    Power Cleans - 45kgs
    DB Ground Row - 16Kgs

Downstairs
    Leg Raises
    Plank Walkout
    Back Raises
    Ball Rolls
    Squat Jump
    Split middle split jumps
    Plank

Cycle

36Kms
    1:14 hr

Embankment

Training

Cycle

47Kms
    1:43 hr

Clonee

Cycle

26Kms
    1:01 hr

Work, Cruagh

Training

Upstairs

Squats - 60Kgs
    Bench - 60Kgs
    Press - 30Kgs
    Side Lunges
    Dips - 48 (5 sets)
    Step Ups

Downstairs
    Leg Raises
    Plank - arm/leg up
    Box Jumps
    Split middle split jumps
    Side to Side Jumps
    Plank

Training

Cycle

40Kms
    1:35 hr

Glencullen, Enniskerry, Bray, puncture, Kilternan, home

Measurements - 2012-02-12

Stomach: 81.5cms

Body weight: 72.8Kgs

Training

Cycle

114Kms
    3:44 hr

Red Group - fast

Training

Cycle

34Kms
    1:26 hr

3 x 30 secs
    5 mins easy
    5-6 mins 90%
    5 mins easy
    5-6 mins 90%
    5 mins easy
    3 x 30 secs

Training

Cycle in - 18kms, 45mins

Cycle home - 18kms, 45mins

Training

Cycle in
    - 18kms, 45mins

• Advertisement

Training

Cycle

29Kms
    0:59 hr

Enniskerry (fast)

Training

Cycle in
    - 18kms, 45mins

Training

Cycle in
    - 32kms, 1:08hrs

Cycle home - 44kms, 1:23hrs

Pre-season race, marshalling

Training

Cycle

26Kms
    0:50 hr

Tallaght, puncture

Training

Cycle in
    - 18kms, 45mins

Training

Cycle in
    - 18kms, 40mins

Cycle home - 18kms, 40mins

Training

Cycle in
    - 18kms, 40mins

Cycle home - 18kms, 40mins

It's my first venture into Open Racing on Sunday, all going well, and I thought I'd use this log to put down some thoughts / observations / ramblings about my preparation, mental state, concerns, focus, goals etc about the upcoming racing season.

Last year was my first year road racing - I competed in the club league with my club Orwell Wheelers - the league being comprised of 4 other clubs - St. Tiernan's, Irish Road Club, Lucan, and UCD. The league is split into Scratch, Semi-Scratch, Semi-Limit and Limit - with Limit being the entry point so that's where I started last April. I was promoted up to Semi-Limit, got a few placings in that group and was comfortable at that level and the end of the season. I felt I progressed a lot during the year in terms of responding to the demands of racing, and was ready at the end of the season to push on take the next step into Open Racing.

This year I took out a Cycling Ireland A4 license, which is the entry level license for open road racing (for anyone reading this that is not familiar - the Cycling Ireland website will have information on the various categories and races etc). Over the winter I was placed in an A3 training group that was going to prepare a team for the Gorey stage race at Easter Weekend. Aidan Hammond was responsible for putting together a training plan for the group from November up to Easter, which would get us in good shape to compete in Gorey.

When the membership night at Orwell came around - the option was there to take out an A3 or an A4 license, it was up to the individual to choose where they wanted to start. I didn't like the idea of placing myself in a category without earning the right to be there, and also at that stage didn't know what condition I would be in come the start of the season - it's hard to predict at the start of a training plan how it's going to go, what distractions are going to come into play (we'd a 5 month old baby), so I opted for the A4. We were under the impression at that stage that if things were going well, when Gorey came around we could choose to upgrade to A3 in order to compete (Gorey is for A1-A3 only - no A4s). Since then the rules have changed, and upgrades for A4 to A3 must be earned, which is a situation I'm happier with - I feel every individual should start at A4 and have to work their way up.

So with my A4 license, and a training plan from Aidan Hammond, and a good group of 6 or 7 club members from Orwell in the training group, I set about putting my head down over the 4 months, getting into the right mental state to focus on the training, hopefully not get distracted, stay off the cigarettes (had my last blowout with them at the end of October), try not to get sick, train hard and be in the best possible physical and mental condition come the start of the season.

Which brings me up to where I am now - taking a little bit of time to reflect on how it's gone and where my head / body just before the first race, I think I'll leave the lessons learned until the end of the season.

Overall looking back the training has gone very well. Not perfect obviously - there's always room for improvement. The plan wasn't followed to the letter, and I also did a lot of additional stuff that wasn't in the plan that I felt would be beneficial to me, stuff like the weight training to develop strength, plyometrics to develop explosive power for sprints, but overall I'd say I followed the plan about 70% ish. Hard to quantify exactly how much, there was also commuting on the bike to Smithfield, Leixlip, and now Dublin Airport, so I tailored the training around the lifestyle I had and time I could commit to it - family life also factors in terms of how and when you can train.

So in terms of where I'm at - I'm feeling really good about my condition. Because of a change in jobs, I haven't been to the gym in the last three weeks, and this was probably timed very well with when I should have been laying off the additional training and just focussing on the bike. I'm feeling strong on any training spins I'm on with peers, I know there is a phrase 'Winter World Champion' - our coach mentioned about guys who are flying over the winter but do nothing in races - and I'm aware and conscious of this, but I don't think this is the case - I just feel ready and primed for action. Itching to get out of the blocks. Twitching at the thought of the first race, the real test, what all the winter's training has been building up to - to finally find out in a race situation what my condition is like - and where I stand amongst my peers. There is no bluffing on race day, you either have the legs, or you don't. Nowhere to hide if you don't.

In terms of mental condition, I am also feeling good. My head is in a good space in terms of experience from last year, how the training has gone, and how ready I am to race. I'm also well aware though, that being mentally prepared can only go so far, you cannot predict what will happen when the race starts. I have been trying to use the sports psychology concept of visualisation, thinking about the race and the various stresses I will be under mentally and physically - to develop coping strategies and preparation, and also thinking about certain situations in a race - tactics and strategy. Visualisation also about winning, this is the goal - so I have been trying to fuel the hunger for winning, and develop the ability to tap into the additional 5-10% of the max effort the body is capable that is usually not accessible unless you are in an extreme fight or flight situation. A lot of talk in cycling is about being 'on the limit' - the point where you can sustain a set effort for a set amount of time. This is measured under laboratory conditions, training plans are developed based on the results, so athletes know what their ranges are. My theory (I'm sure I'm not alone and lots of research has been done) is that there is an additional limit that is reserved - held back, unless you're in the kind of extreme situation where your life depends on it - say for example being chased by a tiger in the jungle. This additional limit, for a training athlete, if they were mentally able to push through that block and access it - could mean the difference being winning and losing.

Which brings me neatly onto the subject of winning. Winning and losing. I watched the film Moneyball recently - and a section in it summed up neatly the kind of attitude I feel a lot of winners will have in any discipline - they hate losing. Ok it sounds pretty obvious - but in that film the main character was saying how he HATED losing. Hated it more than he like winning. Hated it above all else. That is the approach that I have also been trying to develop. That hunger, the little extra bit that pushes a person over the line. In a bike race - when you see the finish line and the sprint happens - if you were in a primed physical condition, had that driving hunger to win, and awareness that when you felt you were about to burst in the sprint you really had an extra 5 - 10% that you if you were being chased by a tiger you could tap into - you would be a formidable opponent.

I want to win. I want to win bike races. I want to go into every race with the ambition to win it. That is not always going to be the case, obviously, but that's my starting position. I'm not there to make up the numbers. And during the race, I want any opponent to know this, to feel it, to know that if they are going to win the race, they are not going to win it lightly.

Roll on Sunday.

Measurements - 2012-03-03

Stomach: 80cms

Body weight: 70.7Kgs

• Advertisement

Race - Cycleways Cup Navan - A4

Warmup

18Kms
    00:45 hr

Race

82Kms
    2:15 hr

Disgusted. Felt good all day - finish ended up being about 6 kms before I thought it was going to be, and was caught by surprise.

Advertisement