Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

hey, i posted this in another place but said i would do it here too as you guys are further along and id like your opinions please!!!

a quick question. due to pains early on and brown discharge on and off ive had 3 scans and was offered another one for this thur just to make sure and to thoroughly check everything. i am due my normal one on the 8th of july. i am really nervous. i am 11 weeks 4 days today and worried that so many scans could somehow hurt the baby. but i couldnt take the risk of not having it in case it could tell that something is wrong. just looking for peoples views. hope everything is still ok. i was fine until they offered the scan.never been as worried in my life. i just want everythin to be ok!

Scans are ok I've heard, Now ive had about 3 or 4 scans now cos Im such a worrier and its my first, try to relax until Thursday I know its hard but if you feel relaxed then the baby will relax

aww brilliant...so that's your mind set at ease, for another few hours at least ;)

Well if your survived the 20 week scan without asking, I think you should keep it a surprise. We haven't told any of the family or anything that it's a boy, so we'll still get plenty of yellow ;)

Yeah my mind is a t ease until something else crops up lol, If we did find out Id prob keep it a surprise from my family and myself and my partner would just know

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

I don't know about scans hurting the baby, I've never heard of that, but I'm not medical expert. But in the early days, I would have had a scan every day if they offered me one :D, it's such a long worrying 12 weeks. Have you had normal tummy scans before this? I wonder if they want to do a vaginal scan this time?

the first one was a vaginal scan then 2 tummy scans and all showed everythin was fine. ive had 2 days of brown discharge since last scan but have been grand the last 4 days. i rang just to run it by them and she offered another scan. im worried in case their is something wrong and also worried in case the scan damages the baby. duno why im thinkin that cos never would have thought that bout scans before. im goin to go for the scan cos if not ill be worried for the next week and a half. really hope i see the little heartbeat. finger crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

the first one was a vaginal scan then 2 tummy scans and all showed everythin was fine. ive had 2 days of brown discharge since last scan but have been grand the last 4 days. i rang just to run it by them and she offered another scan. im worried in case their is something wrong and also worried in case the scan damages the baby. duno why im thinkin that cos never would have thought that bout scans before. im goin to go for the scan cos if not ill be worried for the next week and a half. really hope i see the little heartbeat. finger crossed.

I hope everything goes okay. The other scans showed everything was fine, so maybe focus on that for the next day or so. I hope the next few days pass quickly for you and the ickle heart beat is flashing away at you on thurs xx

Fraggle, it's best if you discuss this with your consultant as there are very different views on it and the necessity of having scans will depend on your personal circumstances. If you look up research on the subject, you'll get many diverging opinions.

I had a number of scans in late pregnancy due to going overdue, having high blood pressure and a concern over fluid levels. The scans put my mind at ease that baby was okay and meant that we were able to avoid other interventions like early induction which are known to have an adverse affect on maternal and infant health. For me, that was worth any unknown risk associated with scans. For you, in early pregnancy, the reasons for or advantages of having a scan may differ. Your doctor should be able to advise you better than anyone here.

i havnt even seen my consultant yet. i have my first appt with him on the 13th. these scans are with the early pregnancy unit. i asked the nusre there bout risk of having too many scans and she said theres research in germany but no evidence of anything. i duno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

from what I've heard from Germany, some people have scans at pretty much every visit to the gynae - that is, every 4 weeks from when they find out they're pregnant in some cases. Haven't heard that it could be bad for the baby, might try and look it up if I get round to it.

But it's not radiation anyway, so I am not sure in what way it could actually harm the baby?

Hope all goes well for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

*Puts medical physicist hat on*
    If you look up research on the subject, you'll get many diverging opinions.
    No you won't. There is no published evidence showing that ultrasound is harmful to anyone, including the foetus.
    galah wrote: »
    But it's not radiation anyway, so I am not sure in what way it could actually harm the baby?
    What is dangerous is ionising radiation - like an x-ray or CT. Ultrasound and MRI use non-ionising radiation. Fundamentally it has to do with the amount of energy involved and whether it is of the level to cause damage to a cell, which ultrasound is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

*Puts medical physicist hat on*

No you won't. There is no published evidence showing that ultrasound is harmful to anyone, including the foetus.
    Although I do not have a medical physicist hat of my own and have to take your claim to one at face value, I am perfectly capable of reading articles from medical journals and have found plenty of peer-reviewed journal articles that claim there is a risk to foetal monitoring. I am not one for scaremongering and I personally feel that the benefits of a degree of foetal monitoring in higher-risk pregnancies outweigh the risks, but it is unfair to state that there is no risk and no published evidence showing risk when there is plenty of published evidence that a small risk may be present. These risks have nothing to do with radiation, they are mechanical and thermal in nature and not enough research has been done for anyone to claim that use of ultrasound in pregnancy is entirely risk free.

The following is a small sample of some of the published, peer-reviewed evidence suggesting that ultrasound is not entirely without risk and all of which recommend that ultrasound should be kept to a minimum unless the benefits of it outweigh the risks.

Barnett, S.B. "Can diagnostic ultrasound heat tissue and cause biological effects?" in S.B. Barnett and G. Kossoff, eds. (1998) Safety of Diagnostic Ultrasound, Carnforth, UK: Parthenon Publishing

Ang, E.S., Jr., et al. (2006) Prenatal exposure to ultrasound waves impacts neuronal migration in mice, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 103(34): 12903–10.

Rados, C. (2004) FDA Cautions Against Ultrasound "Keepsake" Images, Washington: FDA

Maulik, D. (2005) 'Biological Safety of Diagnostic Sonography' in Maulik, D. (ed.) (2005) Doppler Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, New York: Springer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Reading through those articles, they were quoted as being performed on mice guinea pigs or sheep ... no evidence for the human foetus and the concern was heating on ultrasound waves directed at the brain for more than 30 mins at a time. Given the cells it was directed at no lasting damage on the mice was detected after birth..
    The first study you quote states that a thermal rise of no more that 1.5oC can be used without reservation. . . very few scans i've had would last 30mins (recommended cut off time) and almost none would last 30 mins concentrated on the brain.
    It's not very fair to point out studies and say there's a risk when it's not presented as a conclusive human study with actual results on benefits or side affects, it's almost scaremongering.
    These are quotes from some of the articles you listed.
    Several studies have examined the development of fetuses receiving different levels of ultrasound investigation. In trials comparing ultrasound screened and non-screened groups, there has generally been no difference in birth weights between groups. There have been no unequivocal data to suggest that there is impaired development of hearing, vision, behavior or neurological function due to ultrasound screening. In a large, randomized trial of over 3200 pregnant women in which half were offered routine ultrasonography at 19 and 32 weeks, there was no evidence of impaired growth or neurological development up to follow-up at 8–9 years. There was a possible association of left-handedness amongst boys undergoing ultrasonography 13 . Scanning of this group was performed with B-mode only. There have been concerns that epidemiological studies to date do not reflect the higher output capabilities of modern scanners.
    Ultrasonic fetal scanning, from a medical standpoint, generally is considered safe if properly used when information is needed about a pregnancy. Still, ultrasound is a form of energy, and even at low levels, laboratory studies have shown it can produce physical effects in tissue, such as jarring vibrations and a rise in temperature. Although there is no evidence that these physical effects can harm a fetus, the FDA says the fact that these effects exist means that prenatal ultrasounds can't be considered completely innocuous.
    Mel Stratmeyer, Ph.D., in the FDA's Office of Science and Technology, says that most animal studies have not identified any fetal harm with low-dose ultrasound exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Such a crazy week! Have had so many appointments between the hospital and the bank this week! Really need to fit in more time for work! :P
    Am back in the hospital tomorrow for a normal appointment... gonna ask them for a guesstimation on weight, as the weight and measurements at the 3d scan was 2 weeks ahead of dates.
    Am hoping I'll get a quick scan... have had one at each consultant appointment so far :o
    Then it's another appoitment in the bank straight after the hospital.
    Then 2 classes in the hospital on Friday...
    Then I'll be seeing some of you on Saturday...
    Sunday... I'm sleeping! :p

• Advertisement

Haha good luck with the weight guess. . . . with my first i was in labour and asked of they could guess the weight.. 3 guesses between 7 and 8 pounds she was 5lbs 8ozs:D at 7 days over:)

cbyrd wrote: »
    It's not very fair to point out studies and say there's a risk when it's not presented as a conclusive human study with actual results on benefits or side affects, it's almost scaremongering.
    From the Maulik book (a standard obstetric textbook in medical training)
    Any absolute assurance on the safety of embryonic and fetal exposure to diagnostic ultrasound remains unattainable because of the continuing possibility that a rare or as yet unknown risk may be present from prenatal exposure.
    I have not overstated the risks, I have said there are potential risks and unknown risks. I am certainly not scaremongering. I have linked to texts from which people can draw their own conclusions, as I have drawn mine (and I personally find the risks acceptable). I am not advocating for or against scans, it is not my place, and as I've said I am more than happy to undergo ultrasound examinations myself. However I do not feel it is the place of any person to dismiss outright the possibility of risk when medical science itself has not dismissed it. I don't want to derail the pregnancy thread any further, apologies to anyone annoyed by these posts.

Back on to the pregnancy thread proper, I've been waking up every night for the past week at exactly 4.30am. Wide-eyed awake, not for the loo or anything. Anyone know if there's a baby-related reason for it? We're nearly 20 weeks now (and still have morning sickness:eek:). Thinking it might be hormonal.

Back on to the pregnancy thread proper, I've been waking up every night for the past week at exactly 4.30am. Wide-eyed awake, not for the loo or anything. Anyone know if there's a baby-related reason for it? We're nearly 20 weeks now (and still have morning sickness:eek:). Thinking it might be hormonal.

Are you going to bed earlier? Is it bright at that time?

I went through a phase of that a few weeks ago mind you...but it was 6am not 4.30 thankfully :D No matter what time I went to bed at I'd be awake 6am, but I just put it down to it being bright in the mornings :o

Are you going to bed earlier? Is it bright at that time?

I went through a phase of that a few weeks ago mind you...but it was 6am not 4.30 thankfully :D No matter what time I went to bed at I'd be awake 6am, but I just put it down to it being bright in the mornings :o
    Nothing has changed! I go to bed between 11 and midnight most nights, have blackout curtains, the house is quiet, I don't eat or drink late, don't take any caffeine etc etc. I think this happened last time too. I can never get back to sleep. I'm lucky that most days if I'm really wrecked I can take a nap for 45mins or so when the little lad goes down as I'm only working odd mornings now (one upside of the recession!). How far were you gone when you started waking early, Hannibal?

Nothing has changed! I go to bed between 11 and midnight most nights, have blackout curtains, the house is quiet, I don't eat or drink late, don't take any caffeine etc etc. I think this happened last time too. I can never get back to sleep. I'm lucky that most days if I'm really wrecked I can take a nap for 45mins or so when the little lad goes down as I'm only working odd mornings now (one upside of the recession!). How far were you gone when you started waking early, Hannibal?

I'm not really sure Cat, because I didn't associate it with the pregnancy so I didn't take any proper notice of it. But I think it was around week 18 or so, and only thinking of it now it's stopped (23 weeks on Sat), but I'm not sure when it did :D So maybe mine was just down to room brightness.

I know what you mean about the recession...I've been on a 3 day week since I came back from the last maternity leave, and it's a blessing in disguise...I love my sneaky naps when the little boy is resting ;)

I hope it doesn't last too long for you, it's bad enough being tired as it is, without being awake from 4.30!

This started for me around week 18 too, fingers crossed it'll ease off in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

oh my god, I am a 1st timer and as I have said in other posts, I am always stressed out with worry...anyway I am now 11 weeks and 5 days, and want to tell everyone at the weekend but my 1st hospital appointment isn't till late next week, so i called into the nurse to see if she could hear a heartbeat.......it was amazing... I am soo so so happy:D

Aww yay Setlikejelly! Congratulations! Who you gonna tell first? :D

oh my god, I am a 1st timer and as I have said in other posts, I am always stressed out with worry...anyway I am now 11 weeks and 5 days, and want to tell everyone at the weekend but my 1st hospital appointment isn't till late next week, so i called into the nurse to see if she could hear a heartbeat.......it was amazing... I am soo so so happy:D

congrats!!! we are considering telling family this weekend too!! goodluck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

Thanks, dont know who to tell 1st.... a couple of weeks ago I just wanted to tell everyone, now I am i kinda wish I keep it all to myself and my husband and grandparents until the baby is here to show everyone..... I am so mixed up..... going to tell all the girls on Saturday over lunch...... Dont know where I going to mention it,,, when we meet or in the middle.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Just back from 20wk scan and everything is fine fine fine :)

I started a thread here some time ago about finding out the sex of your baby before the birth. There was a lot of argument for and against, but in the end I decided to keep it a 'surprise' until after the birth, so the midwife did a very good job of hiding that whole area on the scan ;)

I was also worried I hadn't gained much weight, but the baba was the right size for 20 wks and the midwife said it's just the way my body is - so that might be a bit of comfort to any of you with the same worries.

Have a good weekend all!!

Well relief after 2 weeks panicking i'm not diabetic. . but he did ask about my history and low and behold figured out it's related to the dairy . . so he want's me to quit eating it again but my gp says that if i do i can run the risk of this one being intolerant too. . . so the dilemma of what to do. . .

So it's week 28 and i have a 6 day week at work next week. . i'm dreading it i'll be wrecked. . :eek: but the up side is the kids and husband are off camping for 4 days so i've only me to look after. . .YAY. . i'll have a clean house for a few days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Congrats on all the scans ladies!

Cbyrd, delighted you are clear for diabetes. Dilemma all right about cutting out dairy altogether, would cutting back to a minimum make any difference? I'm envious you will have a quiet house for 4 days, but not of your 6 dY week..yuck. I was only in 3 days this week and shattered today. Counting down to mat leave, hopefully only 8 weeks to work :)

Hmmm i'm really on a minimum as it is seeing as i haven't eaten any for nearly 5 years. . i usually make all my own breads and biscuits and cakes cos i was so intolerant but with a very slow build up (i got up to eating butter on a slice of brown bread in about a month) I can now eat about 3 slices with butter and a little butter on my potatoes and maybe a bowl of icecream and a chocolate biscuit in a day. No milk no yogurts very very little cheese(bad bad wind:() but i do sneak the odd chocolate bar and suffer it the next day . . :rolleyes: the one thing i really did miss was icecream .. . so i've stopped eating it again in the hope it'll help and i'm back to the gp in a week for more tests. .
    I couldn't believe he was able to pin point it without me telling him .. . i wish the other consultants i've been seeing were so good :confused:
    I normally only work 2 and a half days but i'm covering holidays. . hairdressing on my own for the week and it's pretty busy. . but the extra money is paying for the vasectomy:eek::pac: it's sooooo worth it :D

That's brilliant news about the glucose test Cbyd. I had a hankering for a Wibbly Wobbly Wonder yesterday and nearly died when I had to fork over E1.05 for it, so think how much giving up icecream will save your pocket! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

32 weeks today! And now that it's July I can say I'm due next month! :D (although it's so close to the end of next month that it'll more than likely be September before baby makes an appearance!

I am loving getting kicked and punched at the moment- he's strong enough that it's really really moving my tummy, and I've taken to calling him my little alien, cos it feels sooo weird sometimes! :rolleyes:

liliq wrote: »
    32 weeks today! And now that it's July I can say I'm due next month! :D (although it's so close to the end of next month that it'll more than likely be September before baby makes an appearance!

I am loving getting kicked and punched at the moment- he's strong enough that it's really really moving my tummy, and I've taken to calling him my little alien, cos it feels sooo weird sometimes! :rolleyes:

aww how lovely is that. I think my little one has moved a bit because I used to get quite strong kicks but now there more kind of nudges. I was actually getting a bit worried yesterday because the kicks were fading a bit. But I can feel him mooching about now :D

Have you tried putting the remote on your belly to see if it moves? :D

Ok so am not sure if I should be posting this here or not but here goes, well it's actually embarrassing for me too but I have been itchy down below for the last few weeks so went to the doc last week and he gave me cream for thrush called Daktacort, now he said it could be thrush so gave me that cream and said it is fine to use during pregnancy, I have tried to put it on a couple of times but it is hard when you are doing it yourself but am too embarrassed to get my boyfriend to put it on me even though he said he would but to be honest I am still itchy down below, the doctor did say have a bath and put Bicarbonate Soda in it ?? Have any of you's had this itching down below problem and what did you do? I am not itchy all the time and put the cream on when I am but I don't think I am putting it on properly and in the right place as It's very hard to see lol !! Sorry for TMI but really need advice!! Also is that cream Daktacort safe to use, the doc did say it is fine but on the leaflet it says Do not use during pregnancy unless consulted by your doctor but why in the first place does it say do not use during pregnancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I'm gone again guys. I don't think I'll ever get here premanently :-(

• Advertisement

Avril, everything down below goes out of kilter once you're pregnant! It could be thrush, it could be the increased discharge, it could be irritation caused by changing Ph levels. Whichever, what your doctor suggested is what mine told me, except I was given Canestan rather than the one you got. As far as putting the cream on, just whack on as much as you can in the general area, don't be sparing with it and you should hit the mark. The bicarb baths helped me too, and there's an old wives tale that lots of sex helps too as semen is more alkaline than the environment down below!

As for the 'do not take in pregnancy without your doctor's say so', that is usually because a particular treatment might be contraindicated with another form of medication so your GP has to make sure that you are not taking any other drugs that might cause a reaction.

Advertisement